Options

Questions, Discussion and Tutorials

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Rolo wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:
    How about a .rar file with all six Loomis books?

http://www.placidchaos.com/Loomis/Andrew%20Loomis.rar

Grifter.... make love to me.

:winky:

Grifter on
  • Options
    ph00lph00l Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    grifter81 wrote:
    Rolo wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:

This is just wrong.

ph00l on
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ph00l wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:
    Rolo wrote:
    grifter81 wrote:

This is just wrong.

Is it wrong to love me?

Grifter on
  • Options
    NaregNareg Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hello all,

I had a few questions regarding oil painting.
    I've recently begun learning landscape painting a la Bob Ross as I thought it might be a good introduction to painting. I've been having a lot of trouble lately in acheiving contrast in grassy areas and with trees and such. After laying down the dark (base coat?) I would go into a lighter color, but instead of sticking and making a nice bright bush or whatever, it would all just turn into a solid blurr.

I've tried thinning the paint with turp and no matter how much yellow I add to a green, it just doesn't seem to get brighter...

I was also wondering about varying the shade of a color to acheive more dimension - How would one do this without just using one color with black or yellow added to darken or lighten?

Oh, and how much paint is too much/too little? I can't really seem to figure out how much should be on the canvas for me to do this "wet on wet" style.

--Thanks

Nareg on
    Back off man, I'm a scientist!
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You don't want to use turpentine on oil painting if you want to lay down fin details. You're basically thinning the paint on your CANVAS when you do that.

Bob Ross uses thick paint, but it's buttered up with either linseed oil or gammil (spelling). It's thick, but it spreads well.

I know Bob Ross never did, but you might want to wait a few minutes before going into the details on the wait base coat. Oils take DAYS to dry, but waiting 5-10 minutes can allow for a little friction when you're trying to put little blades of grass in. Bob Ross' technique was so good he didn't have to wait.

Also, for your color mixing, allow it to optically mix. Understand this: the pigment they use for blue, purple and green are especially strong. Yellow, on the other hand, is the weakest pigment. You'd be surprised how mich powder they have to pump into it to make it as bright as it is. Therfore, START with yellow and mix green in SLOWLY. You'll get the color you want by working in the opposite direction. I suggest you work from light and mix toward a dark, that way you don't waste as much. You've probably already noticed how quickly the stronger colors can taint a thinner pigment.

You want to keep a color lighter than you think because when you apply it, it will darken. It wil also DRY darker. So when you put down stronger yellow blades of grass, you can always come back in with a 1/2 green and go overtop to tone it down.

For color mixing, yellow, red, orange, and white can all be used to lighten objects. Light is warm, so generally objects in direct light will reflect that.

Darken objects with Blue, green, or purple.

For example, on a skin tone, the highlights could be white/tan, 1/2 tone with a much richer red, core shadow with a dark and muted purple, and back to a dull red/arange for the low light.

You want to mix those colors into your base skin tone (a tan/peach/brown) . It's not like you use straight up purple for a shadow. You mix your base tone with a bit of purple/black. You want to mix up a large peice of color for the base color of an object and then tint/shade as you see fit. You don't have to make buckets of the shades and tones, though. Just the base color and tweak it for tones adn shades.

Wet on Wet needs a little thickness. The darks will be thin, and the hardest part will be keeping the lights light an the colors strong. If you screw up with Wet on Wet, it's harder to fix. You can cheat by using a paper towel to dab up extra paint and then reapply with a strong coat to cover your mistakes. Wet on Wet can be expensive (paints) depending on your style.

Rye on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If someone can teach me how to make a torrent, I've got a gig or two of handy art pdf's.

Tam on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zephonate wrote:
    I was more wondering if hairspray would do the same thing as the fixative would, seeing as I don't have an art supply store near me. :|

Even if it's fairly weak, that'd work fine. I don't usually go back into my drawings. This would be more to keep the pencil lines in my sketchbook from smudging whilst it's in my backpack.

Yes, hairspray works, but you can't edit your drawsing after using hairspray because it lays a film on the page.

Workable fixative is better because months down the line you may see a little error or something you want to add/subtract and you'll be able to. With hairspray... no.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This really has nothing to do with art but I really would like to know if anyone knows a good program to learn spanish I could buy. I saw a crap load at the book store but I don't know which ones is better, or they are all just the same.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    I've been playing with Rosetta Stone, and I learned a little Chinese pretty quick. Its expensive though, so I don't know if its for you (I was using my friends). Its very visual oriented, so if you aren't as good at memorization it helps with simple association and stuff. Its interesting.

Iruka on
  • Options
    ScopsScops Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's possible that my family may be seeking out a new digital camera in the near future, seeing how our current one has been fairly unsatisfactory (nikon coolpix 2500). What exactly should we be looking for in a camera that can be used for holiday snaps and the like, but is also well suited for creative photography as well? Obviously, we aren't looking for a super expensive top of the line camera, but at the most we'd be willing to spend would be around $1000 AU (or $788 American), maybe a little more if necessary.

Scops on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Does anyone have any experience in Airbrushing, in particular, what paints are the best? I just got an Iwata dual action airbrush for Christmas and I am a little confused at to what paints to use.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Scops wrote:
    It's possible that my family may be seeking out a new digital camera in the near future, seeing how our current one has been fairly unsatisfactory (nikon coolpix 2500). What exactly should we be looking for in a camera that can be used for holiday snaps and the like, but is also well suited for creative photography as well? Obviously, we aren't looking for a super expensive top of the line camera, but at the most we'd be willing to spend would be around $1000 AU (or $788 American), maybe a little more if necessary.

You might be able to get a d50 for that price. Tis a very nice camera. or a 350D.

Lly on
  • Options
    ScopsScops Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lly wrote:
    Scops wrote:

You might be able to get a d50 for that price. Tis a very nice camera. or a 350D.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check 'em out.

Scops on
  • Options
    TriptaphaneTriptaphane Registered User new member
    edited January 2007
    Hi. New.

So, I have a few paintings I'd like to show for feedback before I enter them into portfolios for schools.

Do I just make a new thread with them, or is there an already established paint/oil/canvas work thread you'd rather I put them in?
    I think I accidentally posted my stuff on someone else's personal displaying thread, so I deleted it.

Sorry; I can't wrap my head around stuff easy.

Triptaphane on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Just make a new thread for them. The doodle thread is for ... doodles. and everything else just put into one dump thread if you want to.

Lly on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just downloaded Daz3D, a similar posing program to Poser as I would like a good refernce for the human skeleton, only to realise you have to pay for the models. Can anyone reccomend me another way I can get a 3d model of a skeleton that I can look at and manipulate, or, any way I can get a free model to import into Pose/Daz3D (legal of course)? Thanks.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It depends. What's the purpose of the skeleton? Are you trying to pose it for reference, trying to animate, or just curious?

Rye on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rye wrote:
    It depends. What's the purpose of the skeleton? Are you trying to pose it for reference, trying to animate, or just curious?

Reference. I'm working from anatomy books but most of the time I can't find a close up of the right bone or joint I want to draw.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Rye wrote:

Reference. I'm working from anatomy books but most of the time I can't find a close up of the right bone or joint I want to draw.

Buy a skeleton model.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    or kill someone, wait till they rot so you can easily clean the bones and use that. thats what i did.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Has anyone else had problems with their intous? PS wont recognize when I flip over my pen and try to erase. Worked fine with my graphire.... I reloaded the drivers and it did nothing... any thoughts?

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Iruka wrote:
    Has anyone else had problems with their intous? PS wont recognize when I flip over my pen and try to erase. Worked fine with my graphire.... I reloaded the drivers and it did nothing... any thoughts?

Download latest drivers from Wacom website.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    no dice. I got my drivers from the site and it doesn't change. OC recognizes the flip, but not PS...

Edit: Oi, I got it. Had to go into add/remove programs and remove the setting profile from the graphire.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2007
    Heads up here-

added a new tut to the first post that might be of some interest:

The Structure of Man: Video Tutorials on Anatomy by Riven Phoenix
    http://the-structure-of-man.blogspot.com/

I just found this and I haven't looked through everything in there (there's like 40 hours total), but at first glance it looks like it's pretty comprehensive when it comes to describing basic skeletal and muscular structure. No mention of gesture/expression/fat/skin/hair/movement as far as I can tell, but nonetheless it should be useful for purely technical drawing help.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In Dreamweaver, what's the diffrence between a Layout Table and a Layout Cell?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    In Dreamweaver, what's the diffrence between a Layout Table and a Layout Cell?

http://www.codingforums.com/archive/index.php?t-73174.html

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm not sure how much html you know, MagicToaster, so I'm gonna try to explain it without it.

A cell is a single data slot in a table. If you've used Microsoft Excel, it should be very familiar.

A table is an arrangement of cells. Tables cannot be ragged (Meaning they have to always have a rentangular dimension. An example of a ragged table is a table with 3 columns, but each column a different number of rows. ) You (or dreamweaver) will have to fill the ragged extra cells with blank cells, and that can be messy.

For example, if you wanted to make a table like this:

Header
    Header
    data
    data
    data
    data
    data
    data
    data
    data
    Total

Your right column has 6 rows, but your left column has 5. In html, it would have to look like this:

Header
    Header
    data
    data
    data
    data
    data
    data
    data
    data
    (Blank Cell)--Total

When you create a layout table in dreamweaver, you get to describe the tables' total width and height. The cells will evenly distribute these dimensions if they aren't filled. When filled, the cells will expand but not wider or taller than the size you defined (when clicking and dragging). If you have more content than the total size of the table, it will be cut off.

When you creata a layout cell, dreamweaver will create a table if you haven't already. Inside the table, it will put blank <td>'s (Table Datas, or cells in the table) to place the cell exactly where you wanted it with exactly the dimensions you want. This cell will never stretch. Keeping in mind that the total size of the table may or may not have been defined. If it has bee defined then the table as a whole will be completely stagnant. If it not defined, then the layout cell will always be locked where it is, but the table can stretch above, below, or to the side of it.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need more clarification.

[Edit]Grifter beat me to it... with a link no less!

Rye on
  • Options
    Dave The RaveDave The Rave Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm a lurker, Hi.
    I recently received a Graphire 4x5.
    It came with nothing. It was free, but it had absolutely nothing.
    So I went online, and bought a stylus. The cheapest one.
    I've installed the driver that the website offered.
    How do I get the tablet to do...well, anything? All I've got out of it thus far is a little yellow light.
    Advice?

Dave The Rave on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay, I've got a big question here. How can I make that shaky Ink outline for objects without a tablet? I'm sadly lacking.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Okay, I've got a big question here. How can I make that shaky Ink outline for objects without a tablet? I'm sadly lacking.

example?

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm a lurker, Hi.
    How do I get the tablet to do...well, anything? All I've got out of it thus far is a little yellow light.
    Advice?

What do you want it to do? Do you actually know for what it's used?

Grifter on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    grifter81 wrote:

example?
    Like this circle from one of the tutorials. In this kind of style. Thick in some places and thin in others.
    middle.jpg

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    AstoriteAstorite Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Make a filled circle, add bits and bumps around it's edges, then add in another circle on another layer, or right on top, messing with the inner edges afterward.

Or just draw the line several times, varying placement each time.

Astorite on
    Uh.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Awesome, those explanations helped alot! I have more HTML questions, though.

When I make a link to a non-existing page and later create said page, why does it not link?

If I create the page, then the link, it works fine!

It makes no sense to me, the link path is the same. Why should it matter if I make the page before or after the written link?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Perhaps it's a caching problem?

Does it work outside of dreamweaver? Try closing all of your browsers and refreshing to see if the link works. Also make sure the path is still correct. Never hurts to triple check. Make sure it's not a "relative vs absolute" pathing issue.

Rye on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    That sounds weird, it should work fine. Al i can think of is caching too, but i didn't think it cached 404 error pages!

Lly on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm doing this on NotePad...

Also...caching?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    caching is when the browser remembers the page you've been to. it saves it in a temporary location. So if you alter something sometimes the change doesn't appear because it is using the cached, old version of the page. This shouldn't be a problem with error messages so i have no idea why you are having a problem! Are you testing in IE or firefox?

Lly on
  • Options
    Dave The RaveDave The Rave Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    grifter81 wrote:
    I'm a lurker, Hi.
    Advice?

From what I understand, I'm supposed to be able to draw with it, via photoshop or similair programs. It didn't come with a cd. Its unresponsive to anything.

Dave The Rave on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    grifter81 wrote:
    I'm a lurker, Hi.
    Advice?

From what I understand, I'm supposed to be able to draw with it, via photoshop or similair programs. It didn't come with a cd. Its unresponsive to anything.

Did you try finding drivers for it on www.wacom.com?

Grifter on
This discussion has been closed.