As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TribesNext - Tribes 2 free and returned! [NSf56k]

• Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I tried, but I do not think this is a game I can get in to which is too bad since I played it so much back when it first came out. Oh well, hope they make an updated one I can get in to.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I always hate to sound hopelessly dumb but how do i change my class from light to medium or heavy?

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Blue map wrote: »
    I always hate to sound hopelessly dumb but how do i change my class from light to medium or heavy?

num pad enter will select your loadout. You need to go into a loadout station for it to take effect.
    Mobile equipment stations can change weapons/pack but not suit size.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Firstly: Job, have you considered only reserving a number of spots on the PA server, so pubbies can join, like they do on the Something Awful server? The community is kind of small, and it would be nice to play with PAers on a somewhat populated server.

Secondly: We should try setting up a game of Great Tribal War. It was an older mod for T2 that borrowed elements from the Construction mod, but on huge maps and implemented a "respawn switch", which was a destroyable device that allowed the team to respawn. The goal of the game was to move your switch to a remote location, set up shop, then deploy scouting missions to locate the enemy base.

So much fun, even if you only had a handful of players per team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Com6xzG13-Y

I locally hosted the files here

Fugitive on
  • Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love defending the flag as a heavy haha this transport with 6 heavys in it landed right in this little crevass next to the flag and i bounced a mortar round right on top of them before they could jump out haha watching it spin on the nose of the heavy transport. I love the plasma gun because of the sounds and it kicks so much ass for when the disk fights end up face to face.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Blue map wrote: »

Hit ENTER on your NUMPAD and the load-out menu will appear. You can change each preset load-out and then press the corresponding key on the NUMPAD to select it. When you enter an inventory station you'll change into that load-out.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    plehpleh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The default key (for me at least) is the num pad enter. That lets you look at multiple loadouts. You can then customize those loadouts further with what weapons you want, what armor, grenades, packs, etc. Once thats done, look for an inventory station, usually in your base. Step in it and it'll switch you to your selected loadout.

edit: cursesssssss

pleh on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thats some beautiful dog fighting footage right there- no other game can replicate tribes 2 dog fighting because its more of flying in space rather then air.

Arghy on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

Downloading now.

Tomorrow, bitches are getting owned.

*edit*

Please tell me that the server is running Classic Mod?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll just drop this here, for your perusal.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    MechMantis wrote: »

I have been inspired.

TheStig on
  • Options
    digitarddigitard I walked up hill BOTH ways AZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hopefully it supports Shifter + map addons (aka the BROADSIDE map that was recreated for T2).

I had SO much fun in T1 playing Broadside w/ my group (DMM|US or HF|US). Holy crap we had a blast. Taking that first 2min period to arm up your base (blast walls, force fields, laser/regular turrets, etc) and then just going to town trying to get into the other teams base and defend yours. Plus throw a few snipers into the hills w/ sensor jammers, and it got really interesting.

Drool.

digitard on
    Dave K
    Media / Social Monkey
    GregRedHastings.com
    Now available for iOS - Coming Soon for Android / Ouya
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Decius wrote: »
    Ballman wrote: »
    I'd probably kill a puppy for the privilege of playing aerial dogfight matches again.

You and me both.
    TAC2, dewds! They're still active!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    I'd probably kill a puppy for the privilege of playing aerial dogfight matches again.

You and me both.

Friday 8pm est!

TheStig on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

You and me both.

Just to be sure--I'm talking about the game-type that is actually called "Aerial Dogfight". This mod has different variations on the shrike called the owl, sparrow, etc. I think I tried TAC2 servers before, and it wasn't the same thing. Do you know what I'm talking about, or am I speaking gibberish?

Ballman on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

You and me both.

Friday 8pm est!

TAC2 and Aerial Dogfight are completely different animals. When I'm talking about Aerial Dogfight, I'm talking about the mode that came with BonesMod. This a mano-a-mano dogfight with different Shrikes of varying weapon loadouts.

Edit: Beat'd.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so

the US-based downloads were removed, why?

Downloading this from Sweden, I think

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What exactly are the bandwidth requirements to run a decent 32 person server?

Default is a max of 16Kbps per player. So 32 is 512Kbps. Client and server settings can change that. Don't forget your 48MB of RAM and a 400MHz processor.

Hey I have a little cube computer in my closet that might work then! It's an original Shuttle Spacewalker SV24 with a Celeron 1GHz Tualatin, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD, and Win2K Pro on it. Guess I just found a use for it, since I'll be running a dedicated server.

Edit: Upstream on my DSL is 768Kbit/s so I should be ok.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Couldn't you just do a dedicated server on your normal PC and play alongside it?

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

You and me both.

Friday 8pm est!

TAC2 and Aerial Dogfight are completely different animals. When I'm talking about Aerial Dogfight, I'm talking about the mode that came with BonesMod. This a mano-a-mano dogfight with different Shrikes of varying weapon loadouts.

Thanks, Decius, I'd forgotten the actual name of the mod. I'm really hoping I can get in on a game or two of that, since owl dueling was some of the most fun I'd ever had with the game (aside from playing defense on Raindance in the Renegades mod).

Ballman on
  • Options
    digitarddigitard I walked up hill BOTH ways AZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »
    so

There's a thread on their forums about it. Looks like the US hosts have pulled the "unable to determine you are the copyright holder" thing, not to mention high downloads, and pulled the file. One of them has a specific thread featuring the error that was showing about it.

D.

digitard on
    Dave K
    Media / Social Monkey
    GregRedHastings.com
    Now available for iOS - Coming Soon for Android / Ouya
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Couldn't you just do a dedicated server on your normal PC and play alongside it?

Could, but I use the main system for other things, and it's a little bit of a beast. I want the possibility of leaving the server running, and using a small low power system like that seems like the perfect way to do it.

God I have too many computers. The electrical company loves me.

OT Edit: Might also give me an excuse to setup the TelNet BBS I've always wanted to run, and install LORD and BRE for some REALLY old school gaming action. *swoon* :lol:

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I have been inspired.

As have I.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »

I have been inspired.

As have I.

And I.

I also giggled and laughed my fucking ass off. Luckily I was alone at work when I read it. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    We need to try some of those tactics.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The turret in the gen room sounds highly entertaining. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I tried the turret in gen room and found that it takes super long. I tried it and was shooting for about 5 minutes before I gave up. There wasn't even any sign of damage to the gen.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »
    I tried the turret in gen room and found that it takes super long. I tried it and was shooting for about 5 minutes before I gave up. There wasn't even any sign of damage to the gen.

That's why there's a dedicated person doing the shooting. Once I get it installed I'll try it myself.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    nah, it only takes a minute

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hahaha i'm often the heroic deathmatcher though i like to refer to it as a skirmisher, i'm just now realizing how many people are using these tactics and how spot on they are. I constantly pick light armor and energy pack and spam my ammo because usually the enemy or me is dead by then. I hate those players who pester the flag defenders trying to draw you into chasing them but thats why i always let everyone else chase them while i watch the other direction and the flag for his friend.

I find it funny that one of basics for skirmishing is flare nades and i see it as a great value to the team because if you tie up 3-4 of their members for long enough it makes all the difference.

Arghy on
  • Options
    Kamikaze14Kamikaze14 Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Is there a T2 version of annihilation?

Kamikaze14 on
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As a base defender, I was not amused. thankfully, I think a few skirmishers are good just to have an overall awareness of the battlefield and to put pressure on the enemy. I also always like to have snipers for defense, because they don't need to chase anyone. You pop your head for a missile, you receive 2 red streams of death.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    so

probably because the download is illegal. ;)

tribes2 was never released as freeware to my knowledge, outside of that very limited promotion they had going for vengances release, and even then that was only to a limited number of people.

Morkath on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Or it was released as freeware, and they just ran out of cd keys.

august on
  • Options
    Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Firstly: Job, have you considered only reserving a number of spots on the PA server, so pubbies can join, like they do on the Something Awful server? The community is kind of small, and it would be nice to play with PAers on a somewhat populated server.

I will do this if I can find the scripts that allow me to set this up.

Job_41:25 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Is there a PA server up right now? I finally got this thing working, and I played on a Meltdown server for a while. It's been too long.

Ballman on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's up, but no one's on.

Plenty of other servers, though.

august on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah the Goon servers are a good experience if the PA servers are dead.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

You and me both.

Friday 8pm est!

Thanks, Decius, I'd forgotten the actual name of the mod. I'm really hoping I can get in on a game or two of that, since owl dueling was some of the most fun I'd ever had with the game (aside from playing defense on Raindance in the Renegades mod).

Aerial Dogfighting was all I ever played in Tribes 2. God that was awesome.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    da newbda newb New York, New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am confused. I have a decent computer (I can run L4D and TF2), but my framerate appears to be very low and it stutters. It does this less inside than outside, but it still does this all the time. I tried setting my affinity for just 1 processor (I have a Dual Core), but it is still behaving strangely. Help...

da newb on