As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TribesNext - Tribes 2 free and returned! [NSf56k]

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nice seeing some of those maps again. Most servers used to restrict the map rotation so much you never got to see half the maps the game had.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I enjoyed rocketing grav cycle idiots.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So how similiar is Tribes 2 to the Legions game that came out for free a wee bit ago which was apparently a spirtual succesor to it?

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Way better.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Guess I'd better get downloading then.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Domhnall wrote: »
    So how similiar is Tribes 2 to the Legions game that came out for free a wee bit ago which was apparently a spirtual succesor to it?

Legions has fewer weapons and packs. It's missing the deployable devices and turrets for base building and defense. No air or ground vehicles. No strategic command and control interface. And the movement seems more focused on the horizontal. As nice as it is, it's like an alpha tech demo for Tribes.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also Tribes has inventory stations that immediately recharge your health instead of running around on the ground, which is both good and bad.

Basically it's all the differences you would expect between a browser game and a big-budget multiplayer sequel

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    In keeping up with the thread here's one of many videos of mad mad skills from one of the clans. The first time I saw these line of videos myself I shit bricks, they're comparable to the pros making money in other games with how high their talent is. Luckily, the games I've been in so far don't have any of these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlAmFPL6xgc

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Renegen wrote: »
    In keeping up with the thread here's one of many videos of mad mad skills from one of the clans. The first time I saw these line of videos myself I shit bricks, they're comparable to the pros making money in other games with how high their talent is. Luckily, the games I've been in so far don't have any of these guys.

If you enjoyed that check out the Tribes legacy video. Same type of video but showing tribes 1 players. Has some pretty cool flag passes in it too.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah it's pretty insane. I even listened to Tribes 1 matches over internet radio or something, it was epic. That's why I wanted so badly to be in a competitive clan in Tribes 2, but it was hard to have a fully active clan with 12 - 16 players capable of showing up for a match. Still we had some matches and they were the most fun I ever had in a team game.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okay, two questions:
    • How important is ping is this game? Pretty much all the servers I can see in the browser are 120+, including the Goon and Arcadia servers
    • Is there any way to customize the vehicle controls so they are not horrible? I tried flying the shrike in the training missions but I just can't stand this whole sorta-but-not-really mouselook thing.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Try a LAN game or just go right into a match to experiment with all the weapons and vehicles. I didn't really like the tutorial save for 1 mission where you must defend your base. The vehicles take some used to, I remember the first time how difficult it was (also the tutorial) but it gets better.

120 ping isn't that high, but I'm not sure. First the problems : people jet by at really high speed, and far distances, so lag should be more of an effect than a close quarter game. I sniped all day yesterday and the best ping I probably had was 50, I'll check again. 120 doesn't seem a problem. The positives : The spinfusor, the main weapon has splash damage. Also a lot of roles don't require killing that much, like certain cappers or base defense. In pub games, 120 ping no one will notice.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hated sniping people who actually knew how to not move in a straight line and juke me.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okay, two questions:
    • How important is ping is this game? Pretty much all the servers I can see in the browser are 120+, including the Goon and Arcadia servers
    • Is there any way to customize the vehicle controls so they are not horrible? I tried flying the shrike in the training missions but I just can't stand this whole sorta-but-not-really mouselook thing.

Ping is fairly important. Below 100 is best, but 120 shouldn't be too bad.

There should be a bindable key for looking around while in a vehicle. I'm not sure what the default is, but I bound it to Z, considering I play WASD, it worked well.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gonna download this tonight.

You know what my favorite thing to do here was? Just pick a sniper class and use the laser designator for the heavies.

But playing with pubs, no one ever took advantage of it.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Speaking of ping and servers I have found a permanent server host but I'm holding off on pulling the trigger until I see what kind of interest the game continues to hold. If we can keep a decent amount of people playing this regularly then I'll provide something more stable. For now hosting off my connection is the only option which is why pings are higher.

Job_41:25 on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What exactly are the bandwidth requirements to run a decent 32 person server?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I play most of the time on Branzone classic server because I'm scared of the ninja lag lurking on the GOON servers. How's the quality? And of course I could go to PA if we set something up. How about 8 pms?

edit : lag hit again. I was playing on the GOON 64 ppl server and then out of nowhere I was the only one to get 4000 ping, why? Only happens there.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When this game was big i played constantly and i could pull off those crazy disk shots, its really easy to do once you get used to it but piloting the shrikes is were the skill is. I remember 64 player matches with 12 dedicated heavys around each base firing off missles and mortars at everything that came within range, if you were flying missle locks were almost a constant so we would have air duels inside canyons with bombers popping out of one canyon then flying back into another canyon to avoid the 6 missles flying after it. I love the water maps because the flag runner always ends up in the water which makes it so much easier to intercept it.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Renegen wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlAmFPL6xgc

Interesting video but compared to Legacy those guys are children. Even I used to be able to do this sort of stuff, especially with the laser rifle. That thing is nuts. Of course, this was all in Tribes 1. Ah, the glory days...

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

You know what my favorite thing to do here was? Just pick a sniper class and use the laser designator for the heavies.

Yeah, if I see a heavy firing mortars, I'll usually tag targets for them if I'm not busy. It's nice not wasting several mortars trying to bracket a target.
    Decius wrote: »

Default is a max of 16Kbps per player. So 32 is 512Kbps. Client and server settings can change that. Don't forget your 48MB of RAM and a 400MHz processor.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yeah, if I see a heavy firing mortars, I'll usually tag targets for them if I'm not busy. It's nice not wasting several mortars trying to bracket a target.

Default is a max of 16Kbps per player. So 32 is 512Kbps. Client and server settings can change that. Don't forget your 48MB of RAM and a 400MHz processor.

God I love it when someone tags stuff for me.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, I played some of the old Tribes 1 maps last night (Broadside, Raindance and one other) and it really brought me back. I used to play competitive Tribes 1 Shifter matches with about 20 other tribes, back in the glory days. I don't think i'll ver have as much fun as I did playing shifter. Are and of you guys old members of the Shifter Battle Arena (SBA)?

KIN, EWF, Inq, SW, FL etc etc....

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

God I love it when someone tags stuff for me.

We could be like BFF. We should date.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I used to tag stuff all the time for juggernauts, but I never got the chance to BE the heavy and take advantage of tagged targets. How does it work if you are the one firing?

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    I used to tag stuff all the time for juggernauts, but I never got the chance to BE the heavy and take advantage of tagged targets. How does it work if you are the one firing?

o_O You pull the trigger and it shoots the mortar...

:lol: but really, what happens is a line is drawn up from the target you are painting. At the end of that line is a crosshair. The Jug aims the mortar at that crosshair and it should be the perfect arc and distance to hit whatever it is you are painting.

Beacons do the same thing if you select the right mode (there's only two).

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

o_O You pull the trigger and it shoots the mortar...

:lol: but really, what happens is a line is drawn up from the target you are painting. At the end of that line is a crosshair. The Jug aims the mortar at that crosshair and it should be the perfect arc and distance to hit whatever it is you are painting.

Beacons do the same thing if you select the right mode (there's only two).

Ah, very cool. Simpler than I thought too, haha

Renzo on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    s3rial one wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »
    You and your letter-based movement keys.

Real men use numpad: 8462. And trackballs.

I haven't played the original Tribes in, oh... 7 years or so, now. I haven't really played much in the way of FPS games since then. I still remember my control setup:

Numpad 8/4/6/2 for Forward/Left/Right/Back respectively, * for grenades, / for mines, - for beacon, 5 for zoom, + for repair kit, 0 for jump, . for deploy turret, 1 for previous weapon, 3 for next weapon.

And one of these:

2qlhpqp.jpg

Ugh. I knew folks like you two.

don't get it

Freaks are what your be.

I got one 'o them things because of RSI issues. Now that I'm doing a lot better in that department (and after several weeks of barely being able to use the mouse at all), I relearned basic motor skills and it really is a lot better for FPS games. You can just spin and take your thumb off the mouse to do a quick 180 turn.

You're a severe n00b when you first start gaming with it, though. I was loosing UT2k4 matches to bots on the easiest difficulty.

You do need to clean the little rollers about once a day, though. Takes 20 seconds. :-P

Frem on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Serial, I just noticed your post.

Get out of my head. Get out of my head. You took my control scheme from it. You even took my love of trackballs from it. :(
    <3

Although I can't stand that type, I prefer the ones where you move the ball with your fingers, and your thumb is on M1. I'm currently rocking a MarbleMouse, as my Kensington Turboball has given up the ghost. I still have it hooked up, however, for scroll-wheel use.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    We're 4 right now in the Arcadia server, come! Password is wang.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are there any good texture replacers for t2? It just looks so drab compared to 1. 1 with hudbot, anyway.

august on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aw, it looks like I can't just install T2 from my original disk and use this patch. I have to download the free version of the full game and patch that instead.

So, has it been confirmed or denied whether the mods work? I'd probably kill a puppy for the privilege of playing aerial dogfight matches again.

Ballman on
  • Options
    Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man rabbit really starts to bring the spinfusor skills back.

Good games again tonight. I'm going to test out a few mods on the server for some variety this weekend.

Job_41:25 on
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Job is a beast.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeh, my ski skills sucked, it was hard keeping up.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    God, I am sooo stoked to play this. I use to play Tribes 1 on a Gamespy server all the time about 7 or 8 years ago, then Tribes 2 came out and I hardly played that because the patches either didn't work or the game wouldn't work :P I never got as good at Tribes 2 as I did 1, and sucked at piloting Shrikes.

I just remember playing custom Tribes 1 games, and getting in the huge aircraft troop carrier things and going up over the enemy base as high as possible and HALO jumping down into it and wrecking havoc. Great times, best times.

I need to get good at skiing again probably :(

uberneko on
  • Options
    SikkoSikko Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Just jizzed myself. How I miss the days of shocking heavies.

Sikko on
  • Options
    da newbda newb New York, New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Downloading this as soon as the weekend comes. I am but a youngling, and therefore, never experience Tribes. The weekend will give me ample time to get used to the game.

da newb on
  • Options
    Kamikaze14Kamikaze14 Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    I gotta tell some Tribes 1 clans about this.

Kamikaze14 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ballman wrote: »
    I'd probably kill a puppy for the privilege of playing aerial dogfight matches again.

You and me both.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth