As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Still No Skaven/Tomb Kings & Darkness Falls Fill In Gap

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zafina wrote: »
    Is it true that you get more mastery points when you get to higher levels of renown?

Yes, every 10 renown ranks you get a new mastery point starting at Renown Rank 40, and then at 50, and 60, 70 and 80. You end up getting a total of 29 points, IIRC. You also get a buff at 65 and 75 that increases your Ability point pool by 25 both times. So that's awesome as well.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    McCow42McCow42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    Invisibility is not stupid actually.

Background: I think game mechanics that remove your ability to act without providing the ability to actively counter are broken. So on the grand scheme I think stealth in most MMO's (not just WAR) a broken mechanic entirely. They are "I wins".

In particular to WAR; I feel it's stupid because the only way to counter someone going fully invisible right in front of you is to spec a stat (Initiative) without having any way of knowing what level of Init I need to counter a particular's player ability to go stealth. It removes control from the player on the receiving end and puts it entirely in the hands of some value my init which I think is silly. Not only that, movement seems to help the stealther rather than hinder (I seem to have a better chance to spot if the stealther standing still vs moving.)

Since damage doesn't break stealth my only active options are

A) Flee for 30 seconds.
    B) Pray (Random stealth value - My Init) * Random Modifier > 0.
    C) Pray random group mates above value is > than 0.
    D) Do nothing while Praying and give the advantage to the person using the skill.

An active counter/posting what chance I had to see a even level stealther would be awesome and would be less silly. Until then...

McCow42 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    For Witch Hunters, I uh... just hit blast wave. Breaks his stealth. >:3

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    McCow42 wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Anyone run this game windowed? I tried it briefly but the UI would detect my mouse pointer as being a few hundred pixels above where it actually was. I couldn't even get to the settings to change back to fullscreen.

BUT I like to play in windowed so I can alt-tab faster and shrink down the game window and watch a movie on my PC at the same time (do this with WoW all the time).

I do at 1680x1050 with the "no frame" option in the game video settings so it looks full screen but isn't. I got used to it in beta when fullscreen did "bad things". Runs great.

I do the same thing @ 1280x1024, makes life really easy for alt tabbing back and forth.

*shudders at the memory of full screen alt tabbing back at the end of beta*

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Avynte wrote: »
    Anyone run this game windowed? I tried it briefly but the UI would detect my mouse pointer as being a few hundred pixels above where it actually was. I couldn't even get to the settings to change back to fullscreen.

BUT I like to play in windowed so I can alt-tab faster and shrink down the game window and watch a movie on my PC at the same time (do this with WoW all the time).

I do at 1680x1050 with the "no frame" option in the game video settings so it looks full screen but isn't. I got used to it in beta when fullscreen did "bad things". Runs great.

I do the same thing @ 1280x1024, makes life really easy for alt tabbing back and forth.

I alt tab out of fullscreen all the time. Whenever it comes back up, I just get a few seconds of severe texture popping before everything looks normal again.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Invisibility breaks SO easily. Try playing a WE or WH before you try to talk about how omg I win it is.

ProTip- If you can't break their stealth, go run by a Chosen or Knob. The Aura will bust it.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Invisibility breaks SO easily. Try playing a WE or WH before you try to talk about how omg I win it is.

ProTip- If you can't break their stealth, go run by a Chosen or Knob. The Aura will bust it.

It really is a lot less useful than people think. With my witch hunter, I honestly scarcely even use it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    Avynte wrote: »

I alt tab out of fullscreen all the time. Whenever it comes back up, I just get a few seconds of severe texture popping before everything looks normal again.

Yeah, mythic fixed the black screens of death really quick at release. It was more just one of those settings that I was too lazy to change back.

Now it lets me browse the forums while still seeing if I'm about to get ganked by a WE so I can [strike]fight back[/strike] hit the release button.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I guess I'll just play with the windowed settings some more. It may just have been a quirk with the resolution I picked.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meh....the way they implemented caps means that when I do come back, I shouldn't bother until I'm 40, at all, -ever-. If you contribute at a level other than 40 for the whole fight and a 40 wants in, you get booted and don't even get a shot at the renown or chest as a result.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    übergeek wrote: »
    Meh....the way they implemented caps means that when I do come back, I shouldn't bother until I'm 40, at all, -ever-. If you contribute at a level other than 40 for the whole fight and a 40 wants in, you get booted and don't even get a shot at the renown or chest as a result.

Oh quit being a drama queen. Quit QQing over it.

The problem with fortresses right now is that anyone can get into the area. Order on Red Eye Mountain has been spotted several times with lowbies in the fortresses spamming emotes and jumping around just for the sake of creating lag.

These caps are only for the pic fortresses and they will only effect people in the lower tiers and lower 30s. We don't know what this cap is, but lets say that it is 250 per side. Meaning 500 people total. Wouldn't each side benefit by having the highest level combatants as possible fighting?

Also, if you are a rank 33. You will get eaten up and spit out constantly in fortresses. The guards are huge dicks and are tough enough at 40. If you are 33 though, sorry to say, but you are much less effective in fortresses than you are in keeps.

I mean come on guys, this line has to be drawn somewhere. What next you want your level 34 to try and fight Karl Franz? Again, this cap thing they are implimenting is for fortresses only, keeps lower tiered people out from making an appearance solely for the purpose of adding to the lag, and gets our best players into the fort while granting them a playable lag rate.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

It really is a lot less useful than people think. With my witch hunter, I honestly scarcely even use it.

While I agree that stealth in WAR isn't the unbreakable "I win" button that people who don't play WE's or WH's think it is (pro-tip, any AoE damage or root spell also works on stealthers), I'm wondering what your playstyle is that you can forgo the stealth opener attacks on a regular basis.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think the people who rant about stealthers (there are only 2 classes in the entire fucking game that can do it) are the same people who don't know how to fight them. Area effects work well to make them pop, and trust me, they aren't that hard to kill. Just make sure you get the jump on them, do some kind of disable or knockdown and you should have at least a fighting chance.

I mean, unless you are like some Rank 33 in T4 and some R40RR70 cleans your clock. In that case, well, not much can be done about that.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hello chaps.

For anyone on an EU server, I got a free russian bear hat with my RA 3 that I wont use. If anyone wants it the first to PM me can have it and I'll sort it out in the morning.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Helirthi is my char's name on Red Eye Mountain. Could I get an invite to The Six Mouths?

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

It never said you get booted. It says once a population max gets hit then no one under 35 is allowed to join. Next cap hit and it moves up a bit. It isn't going to boot you out.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yeah, I often find stealth more useful for getting out of combat than getting into it, which is sort of wierd. Or maybe I'm a chicken bawk bawk.

Sometimes, I can just feel the other player's frustration through the screen if it looks like I'm losing, I confess! (disarm that requires a parry) and then just sneak away.

The R1 Morale can work for that sometimes, but it won't work on good players.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm not QQing. You didn't read the whole thing, it says the sides will not be even. The attackers would have a an advantage in numbers. I'd much rather it be even, since the attacker can take those extra slots and just make them healers that just spam their rez.

The reason why things are the way they are now is because they launched with only 1 set of cities. The population could be spread out on 3 fronts in the endgame (realistically they'd probably only have enough to attack 2 most of the time), but instead, you have to cap 2 fortresses and do it within 12 hours or so, and you must -always- cap the EvC fortress. So no matter what the entire server is going to end up at the gates of Reik or the Maw because there's nowhere else to go.

Given the 2 fortresses in 12 hours thing, the smart play is to gather all your forces in anticipation that you're going straight into the city -immediately- afterward before the opposition can mount a proper defense. That way you can possibly steamroll the city and the looting begins (this is how things will probably play out as groups attack super early or super late knowing that most of the opposition that could stop them is asleep), which is what most people are attempting to do now whether it's all 40's or Order on the other side are purposely crashing the zone.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am of the opinion that if a chosen is holding a sword and shield you should give him the benefit of the doubt and fucking heal him because it's pretty damn likely he's trying to do some good.

Here's a quick checklist of benefits a chosen can do if he tries to tank the enemy team, even if they mostly ignore him.

Guideline for healing tanks from the perspective of someone who plays both a healer and a tank.

(with a chosen focus since he's my highest level tank so far but some of this applies to all tanks)

1) Challenge a large grouping of them resulting in 30% less damage to all people challenged.

Dot. Dot. Dot.

2). Guard people as their health is dropping or guard a healer or melee dps.

3). Hold the line. Jesus christ people if you see a tank with his shield up in front of you, like physically hold it up, and don't heal him, you are a dick. Your name gets written in the selfish dick book for eternity and that's your label, selfish dick. Heal these fucking people.

4). Debuff enemy healing or increase their cast times by .5 including instants. This effect is huge, but mostly invisible from a gee whizz spell effects standpoint. You have to look for which debuff the chosen has, or if enemy attacks seem to be pausing when the chosen is nearby.

5). If the tank is hitting enemy healers you fucking heal him.

I heal all tanks who do these things on my dok. This makes me a good healer. You don't want to be a bad healer who is also a dick do you? Well? Do you?

So yes if you see a "tank" with a big two hander just treat them like a gimpy melee dps. If you see one with a sword and shield doing the above then get your head out of your ass.

This message brought to you by a grumpy Morninglord sick of morons saying "Oh I never heal tanks because I'm a dick".

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Could you quote the part where it says it kicks you out? All I am seeing is you can't zone in if the cap has been met and you are too low.

Also, I've never been a part of a fortress take. But I know in even tier two. An equal number of defenders can absolutely CRUSH and equal number of attackers.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    Seriously. I'm gonna come back from my hiatus pretty soon, and it's nice to hear some backup on Tank heals. When I'm using Hold the Line, drawing fire from every RDPS the opposition has and not getting healed, I get a bit irked. Oh nos that Marauder in my guild took a point of damage *HOT* *HOT* *HOT* *BIG HEAL*

A duck! on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, I've never been a part of a fortress take. But I know in even tier two. An equal number of defenders can absolutely CRUSH and equal number of attackers.

I just want to point out that this is the function of keeps/fortresses/castles and why they were invented in the medieval era. To allow small numbers to halt large numbers until reinforcements could arrive.

I am baffled at people who say "A handful of people can hold off a large number of people at a keep"

My private thought is "FUCKING DUH."

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I am baffled at people who say "A handful of people can hold off a large number of people at a keep"

Which is why when someone says "The sides should be equal" it makes me think they may be drunk posting.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I just want to point out that this is the function of keeps/fortresses/castles and why they were invented in the medieval era. To allow small numbers to halt large numbers until reinforcements could arrive.

My private thought is "FUCKING DUH."

People need to rewatch The Two Towers.

C'mon...seriously.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Could you quote the part where it says it kicks you out? All I am seeing is you can't zone in if the cap has been met and you are too low.

When the Fortress population reaches certain population thresholds, players who are attempting to enter the area of the besieged Fortress that are Rank 35 and below will be teleported to the warcamp for the region they are in. When the next area population threshold has been met, players that are Rank 37 and below will be teleported to the warcamp. The final population threshold applies to players that are Rank 39 and below. Once the total population cap has been met for the area surrounding the Fortress, all players that attempt to enter the area will be teleported back to the region’s warcamp.

The wording is vague, but either they're going to deny access to people of certain levels as the pop gets closer to cap, which is means you keep a bunch of low level people in it and possibly allow the other side to have a bunch of higher levels on the other side. This means those 31's everyone thinks is useless get to stay and be useless, which is what I thought people didn't want......

Or as the popcap rises, it start booting people out starting with the lowest level to give both sides the best chance at success.

What makes no sense is it says when you're attempting to enter the area it would kick you to a warcamp, which makes no sense when it could just deny you access based on level and you'd stand outside the big swirly zone wall (which I assume they'll put in to instance the zone like from going from tier to tier). Now it -would- make sense if it expelled you from the zone and you ended up at the warcamp instead of the like when you die and it sends you to the nearest chapter hub.

TL;DR The way Lucky and Acc think it works is still going to cause the problem of having low levels in there being useless. The way I read it is they'd boot out the 31's as the 38's and 39's show up, but I don't like the idea that as the popcap is near max only 40's could get in and conceptually the completely functional and contributing 39's are expelled. I base my interpretation of how it's written based on how it says it will send you to the warcamp. If you're trying to get in and you're too low, -why- would it send you to the warcamp instead of just telling you you can't enter? That bit about the warcamps only makes sense if you're already in and its kicking you out.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A huge thanks for Kendrik for letting me try out the free trial. The power went out about 2 and a half hours into my download but hopefully i'll be giving this a try before the night is over.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It doesn't seem vague seeing as how it says "players who are attempting to enter"

While this is all speculation at this point, I think anyone with the initial push (before any cap) will be let in. And lets assume that the cap is 400. The first 100 will be let in. The 101st person will need to be 35 or above. To get lowbies out, if there were any in your push, you simply dont rez them. Then they have to respawn off the timer and end up not being able to zone back in because the cap.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How exactly do you give out free trials? I have some too.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    All players, regardless of level, whom are already in the area of the Fortress at the time that the throttling takes effect will remain in the area. It only applies when attempting to enter the area around the fortress. If for any reason you leave the area and you do not meet the level restriction you will be unable to reenter until the population cap is removed.

Quote from Andy of Mythic.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Ubergeek, am I ever going to see you not complaining about something?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That sounds reasonable I'd say. With this cap and the gradual increase of T4 population maybe we'll start seeing fights happening on multiple fronts at the same time.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That would be nice/interesting.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    How exactly do you give out free trials? I have some too.

Go on warhammeronline and log into your account management. There should be a recruit-a-friend option there.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    That sounds reasonable I'd say. With this cap and the gradual increase of T4 population maybe we'll start seeing fights happening on multiple fronts at the same time.

That's exactly my thought on it.

It gives the lower levels in T4 more of a reason to hit R40, but it also lets them go and push the war around in other zones.

I actually can't wait for this addition. I haven't been playing at all recently (and also cancelled my sub) and this will probably get me to play a bit more before my playtime is up.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This might seem a bit petty to some people, but to me it was a big deal.

Have they ever patched the game so that you can skip the logo screens at the start of the game? I coudn't stand having to sit and watch as the EA and Mythic and all those logos cycled through. I especially hate EA and I loath having to look upon their company logo. If I ever re-subscribe to this game, this is honestly a major factor in the decision.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Have they ever patched the game so that you can skip the logo screens at the start of the game? I coudn't stand having to sit and watch as the EA and Mythic and all those logos cycled through. I especially hate EA and I loath having to look upon their company logo. If I ever re-subscribe to this game, this is honestly a major factor in the decision.
    You can get some user-made thing that skips it that I used for awhile but stopped because I like the movie too much.

Also, EA isn't bad anymore. Stop the hate. :(

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Goomba wrote: »

You can get some user-made thing that skips it that I used for awhile but stopped because I like the movie too much.

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136626

This has been out forever. And I'll second the stop being so dramatic.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yes, they are. You've been caught in their lie.

The fact that they still are releasing new Sims2 expansions every other month, the fact that they continue to sell their big sports games at full price, even though the only thing that changes from each yearly iteration is the roster, proves that they are still just money grubbing whores and they care nothing at all for gaming as a hobby. They only care about gaming as a way to make money.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

The fact that they still are releasing new Sims2 expansions every other month, the fact that they continue to sell their big sports games at full price, even though the only thing that changes from each yearly iteration is the roster, proves that they are still just money grubbing whores and they care nothing at all for gaming as a hobby. They only care about gaming as a way to make money.

So you can't honestly like any publisher, then, can you? Maybe you should stop playing games because a lot of them have unskippable movies. And the companies that put these games out love money. Can't look at their logos, no sir.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Okay, well, you don't buy the sports games because more changes than just the roster. Lots of companies release too many expansions but no one hates them, and I hope you hate Nintendo too because they aren't any better than EA.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.