As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CF Phalla Signup List

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, Maximus is doing a Dresden game?

My hate for Maximus and my love for Dresden are going to clash violently.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, I think I'm in love with Google docs. I found its simple to build automated pm systems with it!
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=p0jcPYVJB_Iz__T_263KpBw&hl=en

Ideas, so many. Automation! Design choices! OMG! So much easier than processing 60 pms each day.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pffft, PORD would have done it better but I decided that taking the forum out of a forum game was silly. :)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Don't listen to Infidel, this is a great thing you have done warban.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You'll all regret this!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    You'll all regret this!

Don't worry infidel, I hold PORD in high regard as what all Phalla games should aspire to. :P

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Are people seeing what point I'm trying to make though? I really think it's something to be debated, I was going to have people submit actions through the page itself but then MrB and I decided that it would take something away from the PA side of things and all. We didn't discuss this with people at large so I'd genuinely like to know what people all think about that.

I put it kinda in the same territory of people wanting to run a game in an offsite forum that is tweaked and knows how to recognize votes and such. (Can't remember who it was that setup and posted one, but people should remember.) Sure, you can go ahead and do that, but then you're just running a mafia game. It's not Phalla unless it's on these forums. That was my sentiment and I wasn't alone on that. That's the spirit I was trying to avoid undermining with an offsite action form, even though it would be nice and is not completely removing it from PA since the game thread would be here still. So yeah, I wonder how people feel about that.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    To me the part that really needs to stay on the forum is the public thread. We've had dozens of games now with networking activities taking place on proboards, often with GMs accepting orders submitted on bad guy boards, and several even having mandatory proboards and the like. Picking nits about order submissions when so much discussion already takes place off-site is silly IMO.

Especially with warban's intent to make use of the form optional, I can't see how it in any way detracts from the experience.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If it's optional then it's more of a pain, better to either just do it or not.

We have proboards out of necessity, it's just too unwieldy to have network discussions in PM alone (and pretty dangerous as some people have found after making a mistake in the To field!) while having PMs for actions has worked rather well for every game thus far. Plus that's why we're allowed those fun GM accounts, to have the PM space! Are you trying to commit GM account genocide FWD? Are you?!?! D:

I'm not picking nits I'm just being a doomsayer! :P Maybe no one agrees and I'm wrong, but the whole trying to automate things like actions and vote counts has led multiple people to the conclusion that offsite is just better.

So I'm against turning these into a clique and distracting from the PA root, where we attract new players. That's not nitpicky because I have an honest concern. Proboards is a necessity due to forum limitations, if we had the ability to manage private conversations between multiple people here without all the headaches I would be against them too. I like having Phalla be an open forum game that some newbie can just jump on and doesn't need to know anything but how to use these forums. The proboards is an annoyance there, where usually you'll see the vets on there asap but lots of times its the noobies that don't use it or don't show up until day 4 or shit like that.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Spectre think change bad.

Raaaagh!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Spectre thinks?

I don't mind proboards, I even don't mind orders etc being given outside that, as long as the main thread is firmly ensconced on PA and there's some kind of in-thread activity requirement.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I'm thinking of trying to run a Phalla based off the Anime Death Note as its plot and themes work perfectly for a phalla game.

Although right now my biggest concern is trying to make balanced mechanics based off the show. Probably the biggest one is having to know a players 'Name' for Kira(the main bad) to kill someone during the night, I just wonder if it underpowered that the main bad has to rely on allied seers for information especially since some characters could have an allias. I guess a possibility is having Kira start off the game with the names of player criminals to have someone to kill starting off, but of course that could be a jerk move towards players who get those roles.

Obviously it's still in devlopment but it's something I'd like to try, if anyone else has ideas suggestions let me know.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Actually, two Death Note games have already been run! There's one from the deep origins of Phalla hosted by Lanz and then one with more modern mechanics hosted by Infidel. The latter one will probably be of most interest to you, just to give you some ideas to start off with.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Heh, obviously I was not alone in my idea. I'm guessing theres no problem doing another one since the last one was over a year ago.

manaleak34 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    Heh, obviously I was not alone in my idea. I'm guessing theres no problem doing another one since the last one was over a year ago.

I certainly don't have a problem with it, and I suspect most others don't either. :)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Actually, two Death Note games have already been run! There's one from the deep origins of Phalla hosted by Lanz and then one with more modern mechanics hosted by Infidel. The latter one will probably be of most interest to you, just to give you some ideas to start off with.

Don't forget the drunk death note game at PAX.
    bscap000fv6.jpg

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Plutonium just couldn't nom some chips, poor thing.

And yeah, I have had people ask if I'll run another Death Note maybe so there is interest! Go ahead and run one if you want to, I have plenty of ideas still and I'd be more than welcome to help you with mechanics via PM. ;-)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well in that case...

!Sign Up For Phalla Note

manaleak34 on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLE

mini-phalla coming soon
    teenagemutantninjaturtlxe8.jpg

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    MicroMicro Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLE

mini-phalla coming soon
    teenagemutantninjaturtlxe8.jpg

Holy fucking shit Toxic. If you keep posting stuff like this you're gonna make me hard.

EDIT: Am definitely up for this, and if any help, etc, is needed, I would donate an organ to help.

Micro on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is it based on the comic, movies, old TV show, or new TV show?

Because one of those kind of sucks.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jimothy wrote: »

The old TV show.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

The old TV show.

That is the one!

Granted, I haven't read the comics. The latest movie was pretty awesome.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

The old TV show.

That is the one!

Granted, I haven't read the comics. The latest movie was pretty awesome.

The old comics are really awesome.

I picked a theme that I could put 30 people in.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thank you TT.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a mini I could start too. 30-person mini, all set to go. But I'll start it after a few days in Obbi's main pass. Provided he gives me permission.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't think you need the permission anymore? Isn't it just 3 minis max.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, I don't want to dump on more strain to people already in a big phalla. Like I said, I'll just hold on until a few days pass.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So who's running Phalla Bowl XLIII this Sunday? :P

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You know I really enjoyed running my mini
    !Sign Up for the waiting list

No theme yet but then again I have a year to design the thing

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You know what? I'm going for it. Three open slots = launching signups Monday, hopefully. But if anyone else has something they want to launch, cool.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    As long as our current big GM doesn't mind, sign ups will be posted shortly for a new mini.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    delroland wrote: »

That is an awesome idea. Even just for a one day micro phalla.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mini-Phalla: Party Games is open or sign ups. Come on down.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    delroland wrote: »

That is an awesome idea. Even just for a one day micro phalla.

Yes indeed... pre-game signups, then end of round at each quarter's end. Overtime if needed. Make it a non-traditional faction game, and that might be something that'll work.

Although... I won't be able to run or participate in it, since I'll be unable to access a computer during those times. But the idea's viable, at least?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Worldwide Mini is getting ready to go

Like within a month

Gumpy on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Worldwide Mini is getting ready to go

Like within a month

Worldwide Mini? Like rogue states and the security council and stuff? That's an awesome idea. If that's not your idea, then DIBS.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Got a question about live mafia games. How do you guys do the voting? The way we've been doing it has been very bad. To make it easier, we've done it where people just throw out nominations until we have two people nominated and then we vote for one of those two.

This has lately been somewhat of a problem has the people I've played with are starting to get the hang of it more. Should the narrator just ask each person who they wanna vote for and then go around the room until all votes are in. Then ask if anyone wants to change their vote?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Got a question about live mafia games. How do you guys do the voting? The way we've been doing it has been very bad. To make it easier, we've done it where people just throw out nominations until we have two people nominated and then we vote for one of those two.

This has lately been somewhat of a problem has the people I've played with are starting to get the hang of it more. Should the narrator just ask each person who they wanna vote for and then go around the room until all votes are in. Then ask if anyone wants to change their vote?

You're talking about Face-to-face Mafia? In that case, your best bet is to forego the nomination process and just take a show of hands. Generally you'll be able to get a sense of where the village is leaning from the conversation that's going on, and once the conversation dries up a bit, you can announce that it's time for the vote. Then you can just point at everyone in turn and see how many hands go up. It should be pretty clear who 'wins' (at least after the first day).

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In live games of mafia I prefer to have each person go out of the room with the host and make a vote by themselves. This usually helps to ensure that people don't just blindly follow someone and tends to make them think a bit more about their vote.

Stew_Stick on
This discussion has been closed.