As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Amazing Adventures of Me

headn00bheadn00b Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Graphic Violence
Hello, my name is headn00b (I know, it's a terrible name) and up until a week ago I hadn't read a comic book since my childhood.

Lurking this forum peaked my interest recently, and I took the plunge. This thread will perhaps chronicle my experiences with comic books. My opinions on them and hopefully my enjoyment.

I started off last week by buying Civil War #2 (#1 not being in stock), the first Captain America Civil War issue and another Civil War supplement which I can't recall the name of (I'm in work right now), but it's basically Iron Man's opinions of everyone involved in the series.

I'm happy I picked up the latter as it has a lot of general information on most Marvel superheroes, including all the main ones that I'm interested in (Cap America, Spider-man and Wolverine). Civil War #2 was good, and the ending in particular was pretty cool. I couldn't get into Captain America because my knowledge of SHIELD at the moment consists of 'Nick Fury is in charge, and is badass', so I had no idea who the women or Dum Dum Dugan were.

Today I once again ventured into my local Forbidden Planet for more comic goodness. I raped my wallet a bit, buying Civil War #1 (which they had just got back in), Amazing Spider-man 529-532 (collected in one comic) and no less that 4 Batman Detective Comics.

Civil War #1 was an obvious choice, and the Spider-man collection seemed like a good idea as well (incidentally I didn't realise he had a new costume, it's pretty rad). I've always loved Batman and after getting some advice in an H/A topic I decided to pick up the Detective series over the seemingly hundreds of other versions.

I'm in work right now, so I'll read them all tonight and then post up my thoughts. That'll give a mod time to decide this is a terrible idea and lock it or give the rest of you time to tell me about your comic book preferences, and recommend things to buy next week.

Edit: hyphened Spider-man.

Your sig was too tall.

-Thinatos
headn00b on

• GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Don't let the regs bitch at you. We have a seemingly endless tide of recommendation threads, but that doesn't bother me because it means we have a seemingly endless tide of new readers.

If you liked Captain America, I recommend picking up the first trade of the new series. Available here.

It's a good jumping on point for the character, and will catch you up rather quickly.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • headn00bheadn00b Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'll have a look for that. I'm in the UK so it's not quite as easy for me to get a hold of comic books, but there are a couple of local places I know about so I'll probably check them out more thoroughly at the weekend. The Forbidden Planet I was in today didn't have Cable & Deadpool, so I'll be searching for that as well.

Also, thanks for the approval :D

headn00b on
    Your sig was too tall.

-Thinatos
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Welcome aboard! Get used to an empty wallet...

And I'll plug my favorite book... X-Factor.

Not a lot of tie-in with Civil War or other series... but it's just freaking awesome.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I recently got back into comics as well, and was a huge Spider-man fan back in the day.

Ultimate Spider-man really is a great series to re-visit the character(s), and the trades should be readily available at Forbidden Planet, so that's my suggestion if you're looking for more good Spider-man titles.

As far as Batman goes, I've really enjoyed The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and Haunted Knight. Classic Batman.

And Wolvy has just recently started to remember his elusive past, so I think now's a great time to get back into his titles. I'd especially suggest Wolverine: Origins if you're interested in that, and recently I've enjoyed Wolverine: Enemy of the State which I believe is collected in 2 trades.

Hopefully some food for thought.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you can track them down, there was a run of Detective comics a few years back that was black and white with a special color that fit into the theme of the story well, very well done Batman stories. It was before the Bruce Wayne: Fugitive storyline, i think. Maybe wait till your store has a back issue sale to buy back issues. Seems like a lot of stores will have their end-of-the-year sales coming up.

The main Batman book has writing by Grant Morrison, making it awesome by default. Plus, it seems like The Joker is returning for the next story arc.

Also, if you're a Batman fan, you really can't go wrong with Batman: Black and White. Seeing all kinds of Batman interpretations is awesome.

Happy reading though.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited November 2006
    After a quick browse of the X-Factor Wiki entry I think I'll keep an eye out for it as well. I'm not so sure about any of the Ultimate comics. At the moment I'm still trying to decide which comics I want to stick with, so I'm not sure that reading alternate Universe stuff on top is such a good idea just now.

I've had a flick through some of the Batman books and they all look like a lot of fun. I think after Christmas I'll just go wild on a bunch of collected stuff and see what happens.

Right now my opinions on the Marvel superheroes I've focussed on are:

Captain America: I knew nothing about Cap until some investigations recently, and I definately like him.
    Iron Man: I'm not sure about him. He seems like the kind of hero I'd 'love to hate' and if it were anyone else that was taking charge of the pro-reg's I wouldn't be undecided on the whole thing.
    Spider-man: is cool, always has been.

Also, from playing Ultimate Alliance I think I like Deadpool, Blade and Elektra.

headn00b on
    Your sig was too tall.

-Thinatos
    edited November 2006
    headn00b wrote:
    After a quick browse of the X-Factor Wiki entry I think I'll keep an eye out for it as well. I'm not so sure about any of the Ultimate comics. At the moment I'm still trying to decide which comics I want to stick with, so I'm not sure that reading alternate Universe stuff on top is such a good idea just now.

I've had a flick through some of the Batman books and they all look like a lot of fun. I think after Christmas I'll just go wild on a bunch of collected stuff and see what happens.

Right now my opinions on the Marvel superheroes I've focussed on are:

Captain America: I knew nothing about Cap until some investigations recently, and I definately like him.
    Iron Man: I'm not sure about him. He seems like the kind of hero I'd 'love to hate' and if it were anyone else that was taking charge of the pro-reg's I wouldn't be undecided on the whole thing.
    Spider-man: is cool, always has been.

Also, from playing Ultimate Alliance I think I like Deadpool, Blade and Elektra.

Cable and Deadpool is pretty good, stay away from Blade at all costs... and Elektra... well, if you can find anything out now with her in it, good luck!

Iron Man used to just be a hero you loved... now he's got the hate factor going on...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Elektra had a decent supporting role in Wolverine: Enemy of the State and will be appearing in New Avengers next year. I don't know if her short-lived series by Greg Rucka was ever collected, but it was pretty good if you like Elektra and also like Greg Rucka. There's an Ultimate Elektra miniseries by Mike Carey, and it's not so great.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited November 2006
    Elektra had a decent supporting role in Wolverine: Enemy of the State and will be appearing in New Avengers next year. I don't know if her short-lived series by Greg Rucka was ever collected, but it was pretty good if you like Elektra and also like Greg Rucka. There's an Ultimate Elektra miniseries by Mike Carey, and it's not so great.

Yeah... Enemy of the State was pretty good...

That was just a fuck-bad month for Northstar though...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    Sentry wrote:

He died three times, didn't he? Ultimate, 616 and AoA versions all bit the dust in one week, I think.

Bogart on
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If you like Spider-Man, I suggest picking up the first Amazing Spider-Man trade paperback (Coming Home). I had been looking to get back into Spider-Man, and I recently picked that up. It was well worth it.

Skullo on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Good call with Detective Comics. With Paul Dini writing it right now, it has been incredibly good and easy to get into.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
    edited November 2006
    Bogart wrote:
    Sentry wrote:

He died three times, didn't he? Ultimate, 616 and AoA versions all bit the dust in one week, I think.

Like I said... bad month. I think it was over two weeks, but it was still pretty vicious.

Also, recent detective comics have been golden. Lots of fun, not a lot of angsty baggage. Oh, and hey, was that some detective work I saw? You know... I think it was...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    headn00b wrote:

Today I once again ventured into my local Forbidden Planet for more comic goodness.

Do you by any chance live or work near Central London?

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    Bogart wrote:
    Sentry wrote:

Like I said... bad month. I think it was over two weeks, but it was still pretty vicious.

Also, recent detective comics have been golden. Lots of fun, not a lot of angsty baggage. Oh, and hey, was that some detective work I saw? You know... I think it was...

When did ultimate Northstar die? I don't remember that at all.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited November 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    Bogart wrote:
    Sentry wrote:

It wasn't Ultimate Northstar, it was 616 Northstar in X-Men: The End.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Captain CanuckCaptain Canuck Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ultimate northstar just back from his prom date with colossus

Captain Canuck on
    shadeodare_sig.png
    edited November 2006
    ultimate northstar just back from his prom date with colossus

sniff... I'm so happy for those two.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited November 2006
    Vapid wrote:
    headn00b wrote:

Today I once again ventured into my local Forbidden Planet for more comic goodness.

'fraid not, I live in Glasgow.

So I just read Civil War #1 and Amazing Spider-Man #529-532.

Considering I'd already read CV #2 I wasn't expecting #1 to be hugely exciting, but it was actually really good, maybe better than 2. It really set the scene for what's coming.

Before today I'd never read a Spider-Man comic. My only real experience with him up until now has been the movies so I wasn't sure if I even liked him. I shouldn't have been worried though, Spider-Man's a cool guy and these comics also really set the scene for Civil War and explained it a bit more for me. It also did a good job of portraying Stark as a bit of a cunt.

I'll read Detective Comics later tonight, and at the weekend I'll be looking for Cable & Deadpool, X-Factor and something else that I haven't decided on. Most likely Wolverine or Fantastic Four.

If I dived into Green Lantern or Green Arrow right now would I struggle to pick it up?

headn00b on
    Your sig was too tall.

-Thinatos
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    headn00b wrote:
    Vapid wrote:
    headn00b wrote:

Considering I'd already read CV #2 I wasn't expecting #1 to be hugely exciting, but it was actually really good, maybe better than 2. It really set the scene for what's coming.

Before today I'd never read a Spider-Man comic. My only real experience with him up until now has been the movies so I wasn't sure if I even liked him. I shouldn't have been worried though, Spider-Man's a cool guy and these comics also really set the scene for Civil War and explained it a bit more for me. It also did a good job of portraying Stark as a bit of a cunt.

I'll read Detective Comics later tonight, and at the weekend I'll be looking for Cable & Deadpool, X-Factor and something else that I haven't decided on. Most likely Wolverine or Fantastic Four.

If I dived into Green Lantern or Green Arrow right now would I struggle to pick it up?
    For Green Lantern I'd suggest reading Emerald Twilight, then GL: Rebirth for Green Arrow read The Longbow Hunters then Quiver(Written by Kevin Smith) those will get you the basic idea of the characters.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    Sentry wrote:
    Bogart wrote:
    Sentry wrote:

It wasn't Ultimate Northstar, it was 616 Northstar in X-Men: The End.

Whoops. Yeah, you're right. Northstar died in the 616 universe twice. Oy.

Bogart on
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Don't let the regs bitch at you

Hey, why didn't I get this kind of protection?

As for Batman, try picking up Morrison's JLA run in trades. Tons of great Batman moments, plus a nice window into stuff that makes the DCU so awesome.

Terrorbyte on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The first arc(called Extremis) of the current Iron Man volume was pretty goddamn awesome.

Mai-Kero on
    edited November 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    Don't let the regs bitch at you

Hey, why didn't I get this kind of protection?
    /quote]

You did, you just don't know it.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    headn00b wrote:
    Vapid wrote:
    headn00b wrote:

If you can't find anything in Forbidden Planet, why don't you try A-1 Comics? It's just off the arse-end of Argyle Street, past the "clock tower". Unlike FP, the staff might even talk to you.

Not to slight FP - the guy who runs it used his staff discount when my mum bought me the Sandman series for Christmas a few years ago - but they can be a dour lot at times.

Red or Alive on
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    The first arc(called Extremis) of the current Iron Man volume was pretty goddamn awesome.

Amen.

Terrorbyte on
    edited November 2006
    Is that arc collected in trade yet? I read (and loved) the first two issues, but dropped it because I found that the gap between issues made it hard to remember what was going on.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Manifest wrote:
    Is that arc collected in trade yet? I read (and loved) the first two issues, but dropped it because I found that the gap between issues made it hard to remember what was going on.

It sure is.

Also, doesn't Grant Morrison live in Glasgow? headn00b should go make love to him.

Sars_Boy on
    edited November 2006
    headn00b wrote:
    Vapid wrote:
    headn00b wrote:
    snip
    snip snip
    snip snip snip

If you can't find anything in Forbidden Planet, why don't you try A-1 Comics? It's just off the arse-end of Argyle Street, past the "clock tower". Unlike FP, the staff might even talk to you.

Not to slight FP - the guy who runs it used his staff discount when my mum bought me the Sandman series for Christmas a few years ago - but they can be a dour lot at times.

A-1 is where I plan on going at the weekend. I have a friend who lives pretty much next door to them which is handy. I agree about FP, they don't really say very much at all...

So, I read Batman Detective Comics last night and they were really good. They were all individual stories so I had no problem getting into them, and I recognized a lot of the characters (including Riddler, who was always a favorite of mine). Also, as Jordyn pointed out they actually feature detective work, which is cool. I prefer the world encompassing Civil War stuff, but these were fun to relax with. Is the 52 series good? I'm considering looking into that.

headn00b on
    Your sig was too tall.

-Thinatos