As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cross-Country Supertrip 2009: There and Back Again

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    I believe we can come to an accord =)

I would like to keep my room; I mostly reserved there because many PAX forumers will be there, and I like the sound of that. Split between three people it'll be a bit pricey (300 a person for 4 nights thur-sun) but it'll be nice and roomy, since it's a double double.

Does Mentok have a place to stay yet? If we combine driving forces we could combine hotel room forces too.

I will take you on as a passenger but I will need one person from USS Minion (VT's ride) to help me get there.

I have my own room at the Sheraton so I am all set.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    Uh, mentok, VT's ride is taking I-90 to Cleveland, just so you area aware. So you'd have to be able to make it that far.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, We've hit a rough patch financially and had to dip into the PAX fund a bit so it's looking less likely that we'll be making the trip this year. We still have some hope, but it's not too big.

Veevee on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Uh, mentok, VT's ride is taking I-90 to Cleveland, just so you area aware. So you'd have to be able to make it that far.

I can make it to Cleveland without a problem. I basically did it for Cedar Point.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Veevee wrote: »
    Well, We've hit a rough patch financially and had to dip into the PAX fund a bit so it's looking less likely that we'll be making the trip this year. We still have some hope, but it's not too big.

Wait, as in not coming, or not CCSTing?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Willeth wrote: »

As in not coming at all. We're still hoping we can replace the money, and we'll know by June 1st if we will or will not be going, but it's not looking very promising at the moment. And it fucking sucks.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Willeth wrote: »

As in not coming at all. We're still hoping we can replace the money, and we'll know by June 1st if we will or will not be going, but it's not looking very promising at the moment. And it fucking sucks.

Oh man, that sucks. I was looking forward to seeing you guys again.

Willeth on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ack, I'm sorry VeeVee =( =(

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    TemporusTemporus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey, I've decided to stop hiding and come out into the light to say hi. I was going to just fly in from Chicago but this sounds like a amazing option.

Temporus on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It is amazingly amazing. You should load up your car and join in!

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So amazing, your skull might implode.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited May 2009
    That seems like it would hurt.

Temporus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Surprisingly, it doesn't.

edit: obligatory recruitment video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5cmmQcmfYM

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Wow that video works.... I pretty much have to get to PAX this way.

Temporus on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, I'm starting to talk to Temporus about the two of us joining forces. This is both good and bad; one more driver and I'll be set, but Mentok's situation is still not sorted out.

If Temporus, Geekgrrl and I drove in one car, that'd wrap up the Chicago contingent, but it's not exactly plausible since it would leave Mentok out in the cold.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Temporus has decided to fly after all =(

Rius on
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

I always sounds like such a goof in that video, lol.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yoshamano wrote: »

I always sounds like such a goof in that video, lol.

You? I'm the tool who's going... DUDE!!!

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, it seems I was wrong with my calculations. It's now 98 days till the start of the CCST.

Edit: Gas projection is now at $2.25

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    w32trojanw32trojan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm a first time PAX goer and I recently found out my enforcer application was accepted, and as much as I'd just as soon fly there, the CCST has been something I've wanted to do forever. I live in Roanoke, VA, I noticed a group starting in Greenville, is there a free spot for one skinny 19 year old in there? I'd love to drive a group in the CCST even, but I Could only take two other people in my truck, and I'd need $60 worth of gas every 700 miles

w32trojan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That's not a group starting in Greenville, that's a waypoint. There is, however, a group starting in Baltimore who needs another driver. Shoot a PM over to mentok1982. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to hear from you.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Sorry, okay, and thanks I'll do that.

w32trojan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Also welcome aboard, you won't be the only fresh Enforcer on the trip. CuZZa with be with us as well.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Cool.
    I'm really looking forward to it, and I WILL go regardless of how I get there. Obviously going with someone else just involves less molestation of my wallet and my poor 200,000 mile, 12-year old truck.

w32trojan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So it appears there's a little interest from my other friends in going to PAX too, so we're just gonna start up a team and head west ourselves:

This is still tentative, but unless something comes up, we'll be going, and we'd also like to see if there's anyone interested in slipping in that 4th spot and helping split the gas bill up

Group Name: Clan RVT

Group Leader(s): Ramar
    Vehicle: 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora. 26MPG Highway. (But it takes Premium) *EDIT: OR, POSSIBLY, 2006 HONDA ACCORD. 31MPG HIGHWAY)*
    Max. Desired People: 4
    Starting Location: Roanoke, Virginia

First Waypoint: Greenville, Virginia
    Riders

Name: Chris D. (Trojan)
    E-Mail: [omitted]
    Cell: [omitted]
    Name: George K. (Vehicle Owner) (Ramar)
    Name: Charisse S. (Non-forumer) (Unconfirmed)

Unconfirmed Riders: 1
    Space Available: 1

w32trojan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I am very interested, heh. I'd have to meet you guys in Indiana or Wisconsin, but I'm very interested. AND if you haven't got hotel reservations yet, I have a double double room reserved at the Grand Hyatt that would be about $225 per person for four people or $300 per person for three people.

That car seems to be about as big as mine, with about the same mileage, so I figure I'd be comfortable driving several thousand miles with you guys =)

Rius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Shouldn't be a problem, if you can arrange a ride back because we're going from PAX to a vacation in Olympia and Vancouver, and will probably make seperate hotel arrangements accordingly.

w32trojan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh, that complicates things =(

Rius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rius, what happened with you joining up with mentok?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Poor mentok...

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Honestly, I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I could drive with Mentok, but I'll be brutally honest; I'm not obese or anything but I'm a big guy (6'2", probably 275 around PAX) and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable driving/riding 4k miles in his car. I'd probably be less comfortable in an airplane seat, but at least that's only 4 hours instead of two straight days.

Then there's the hotel room situation. Do I keep my reservation at the Grand Hyatt and find some people to split it with in the room share thread, or do I try and book a single room somewhere cheaper? My friend can get me the friends and family discount at the closest Mariott which would be pretty cheap, but it's 10 blocks away from the convention center or something like that.

w32trojan's group, if they drive in the Oldsmobile, would be a perfect fit except they're not driving back (so I have to buy a plane ticket anyway) and they're making seperate hotel arrangements (so I have to make seperate plans anyway).

Rius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay, here's some thoughts (I just got back from Qs23's wedding so I'm a bit tired right now, bear with me).

As for the mentok and his car thing. A possible solution is that when we get into the Indiana waypoint, mentok can gas up and immediately drive to Chicago (meanwhile we hang back in Indiana for an hour before departing), he then picks up geekgrrl and meets you at your place, where he parks his car. The three of you load your gear into your car and depart from there to meet us in Wisconsin. This plan puts things on a tight-ish schedule for departure preparation, but that could be alleviated by you and geekgrrl meeting up beforehand. This solves the car size problem, as you will be able to take your car, which you are more comfortable in. I haven't discussed this with mentok yet, as I only just recently came up with the idea, but I think it's a workable plan.

As for the hotel, you've got quite a while before PAX still. My recommendation would be to post in the room-share thread and see what you can find (also maybe contact some of the people who are looking for a room already). Now, on the off chance absolutely nobody wants to room with you (this is a severe off chance as people are constantly popping up looking for rooms during the summer) you could still either cancel your room, or have them downgrade it from a double to a single. Right now, from what I heard, the Green Tortoise is full up, which means people looking for cheap lodging are either going to have to stay far out of downtown or room up with people, so I highly doubt you'll have a problem filling that room.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited May 2009
    As for the mentok and his car thing. A possible solution is that when we get into the Indiana waypoint, mentok can gas up and immediately drive to Chicago (meanwhile we hang back in Indiana for an hour before departing), he then picks up geekgrrl and meets you at your place, where he parks his car. The three of you load your gear into your car and depart from there to meet us in Wisconsin. This plan puts things on a tight-ish schedule for departure preparation, but that could be alleviated by you and geekgrrl meeting up beforehand. This solves the car size problem, as you will be able to take your car, which you are more comfortable in. I haven't discussed this with mentok yet, as I only just recently came up with the idea, but I think it's a workable plan.

But mentok can't ride with geekgrrl, because then the wolf will eat his chicks.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I think this could work. I would like to get Rius, bad easy and w32trojan together in a chat or on Skype to talk about all this.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    No problem.
    AIM= MatthewFier
    MSN = CJDSON7890@hotmail.com
    YIM = chris_deason
    Skype = CJDeak
    Xfire = w32trojan
    steam = eternalwrath

Take your pick :D

w32trojan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    w32trojan wrote: »
    No problem.
    AIM= MatthewFier
    MSN = CJDSON7890@hotmail.com
    YIM = chris_deason
    Skype = CJDeak
    Xfire = w32trojan
    steam = eternalwrath

Take your pick :D

Cool. geekgrrl (bad easy) is getting Skype installed now.

Once we get Rius on board we can hold our little meeting. It does not have to be today though.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've never used Skype, but that doesn't mean I can't get it. Is that what you guys would like to use?

Rius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    I've never used Skype, but that doesn't mean I can't get it. Is that what you guys would like to use?

Sure. Talking with voice is always nice.

Get it installed and give us your Skype name.

I am stephen.mcbarnes

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Skype installed, I am "Riusaldregan".

Rius on
  • Options
    Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey guys. This will be my first CCST, but my 4th year at PAX. Just wanted to let you know that 94 just north of Chicago is crazy construction. It goes from a 4 lane highway to 2 + 1 express lane, and the express lane isn't marked, so if you want to avoid it, stay out of the far left lane.

Also, has there been a post that shows what times we expect to hit each waypoint? We'll probably meet up at the Madison waypoint, but I'm either blind or retarded and can't find the times in the thread.

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
This discussion has been closed.