As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cross-Country Supertrip 2009: There and Back Again

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Liger, I <3 you so much!!! <3<3<3=)

... um, hey...

... can I have your van? =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really wish that was my van. I'd like to see a classic veewee make the trek to PAX some day. It would make such a fun addition to the line of cars.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Theros wrote: »
    Liger wrote: »
    VW.jpg

The paint job on that is fabulous. :D

Prof Farnsworth: "Where is the device that lets you speed up or slow down the passage of time?"
    Fry: "Under the passenger's seat" *Pulls out a bong*

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    lol! =)

Someday you'll have such a van, Liger. And we'll all pile in with a dog and solve mysteries. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And we'll all pile in with a dog and solve mysteries. =)
    now I'm afraid of getting in said van because people would start calling me scooby, the wookie. Actually now that I mention it...

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No way Emorimiku! We'll be "shaggy"s together. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Can I be Velma?

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Velma >> Daphne!

I had forgotten about Velma! I had to look her up when you posted that. When I saw the image, I remembered... she was the hot librarian one. =) I think, as a small child, Velma shaped my perception for the rest of my life about what I find attractive in a woman. Apparently I need therapy. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Velma >> Daphne!

I had forgotten about Velma! I had to look her up when you posted that. When I saw the image, I remembered... she was the hot librarian one. =) I think, as a small child, Velma shaped my perception for the rest of my life about what I find attractive in a woman. Apparently I need therapy. =)

How the hell do you forget Velma?!

It was her and Fred that started the phrase Jinkies!

Gah, what is wrong with you *slaps VT over the back of the head*

I also enter my hat for Shaggy of the CCST Machine, simply because that was my nickname in highschool

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I didn't remember any of the characters but Shaggy and Scooby. Thanks to Wikipedia though, I now remember the characters that I watched so often in my youth. =) My memory is horrible. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So man, my girlfriend and I are thinking about doing PAX this year, and were deciding weather to fly or do this.

We'd get on in South Bend Indiana, and unless she gets a new car by then we'd be taking my ford Taurus with just over 100,000 miles on it. So its a good car, but I'm not sure how it would handle half the country. Plus, we'd have space for 1 or 2 extra people since all the luggage would fit in the trunk. I'm just not sure weather or not it would be cheaper then flight.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    If you do take the taurus, I'd recommend only having a total of three people in the car. Depending on the year and the miles/gallon of the car, but estimating a 2003 Ford Taurus at 25mpg and $2.50/gal with three people you're looking at about $150 per person round trip.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Confirming passenger.

Name: Geekgrrl (Shannon)
    Group: Super Awesome Villains Forever (SAVF)
    First Way Point: South Bend, IN
    Driving: Yes

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    mentok1982 on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    mentok1982 wrote: »

well that's sounds alot like my excel sheets, with the added aspect of GPS, which I was going to try and incorporate the next time I did the CCST.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Think this trip would be wise to undertake in a 2008 Dodge Charger SE? It's not exactly the most fuel efficient car, but it's roomy and it's mine, heh.

I live in Chicago and this'd be my first year going to PAX.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    How many people do you plan to take in the Charger? If you have 3 or 4 people to split the cost of gas it shouldn't be much of an issue.

It would also blend in well with the local cops, as most of the King County police use Chargers now (marked and in various colors).

Liger on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I would recommend only having 3 people in the car, leaving the back seat to lay down in for sleep. What kind of gas mileage do you get in that, I can make an estimate on gas costs if you haven't already.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I would recommend only having 3 people in the car, leaving the back seat to lay down in for sleep. What kind of gas mileage do you get in that, I can make an estimate on gas costs if you haven't already.

Moe, the SE is either the 2.7L or 3.5L V6 engine. it should get around 20 to 21 mpg.

Too bad it's not the '69 Charger.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:
    General_lee.jpg

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »

Moe, the SE is either the 2.7L or 3.5L V6 engine. it should get around 20 to 21 mpg.

Too bad it's not the '69 Charger.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:
    General_lee.jpg

Heh, I wish. No, mine is the 2.7L V6, so it's not a beast or anything. In Chicago traffic I usually get 14.5 mpg, but that's driving to work every day in what is typically stop and go traffic. I imagine on the highway (never taken a long trip before) it'd be much more reasonable (relatively).

Three people in the car total would likely be best; the trunk is huge and should accommodate the luggage of a trio, and the backseat is rather roomy and sleep-compatible.

The only concern is the distance between waypoints; again, I've no experience driving cross-country but I usually only get about 250 miles to a tank (in city driving) before I'm below 1/8th and looking to fuel up. So depending on how efficient my car is on the long stretches, a 300 mile gap between waypoints might be pushing it.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If you don't get at least 300 highway miles per tank, your car is over 30 years old. The distance between waypoints was decided upon based on the fact that any cross-country-worthy vehicle gets at least 300 miles per tank, so we use that number as the high point on distance between points. If you get 250 miles per tank in Chicago city driving, you'll be more than fine.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2009
    If you don't get at least 300 highway miles per tank, your car is over 30 years old. The distance between waypoints was decided upon based on the fact that any cross-country-worthy vehicle gets at least 300 miles per tank, so we use that number as the high point on distance between points. If you get 250 miles per tank in Chicago city driving, you'll be more than fine.

Sounds excellent =) This is my first car and I have only had it since December, so I'm still a little paranoid about things like that, heh.

I figure I'll try and find a couple of Chicagoans who want to make the trip and we can figure out who has the best car for this. If you take the estimate of 20 mpg, how much does the trip (one way?) figure to cost?

Rius on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That's a total cost of $310.80 each way ($621.60 round trip) at 20mpg and $3/gal. That figures to about $207.20 per person round trip for three people.

miles/mpg*cost of gas/number of people

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Also, I've been checking on what gas cost projections are looking like for this summer (hint: it's not $3). According to this website, the annual U.S. average for gas is projected at 1.95/gal for 2009. Right now, the average cost of gas so far this year is $1.85767 (source), which leaves some wiggle room for gas to go up, but not by too much. I've heard they're projecting $2.50/gal as the peak for the summer (usually in July) but I can't find a source to back that up.

Currently, I'm making all of my gas estimates using $3/gal as the cost of gas, despite evidence that this is likely to be too high. I'll start adjusting my estimates as PAX grows closer and more price data is available.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Alright! I just bit the bullet and bought my 3-day badge.

So!

I need two more cool people to drive to Seattle with, either people living in Chicago or nearabouts. Any takers? Or should I make a thread to that effect in the PAX subforum?

Rius on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    What brands and/or models of power inverters do CCST persons use and trust?

I am going to buy one for the trip and I think a 2 outlet model would be ideal.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Die Hard

Die Hard, Die Hard, Die Hard

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Nik HuzeNik Huze Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rius, I live near Chicago and would be honored if you'd take me along. This will be my first year going. I thought about driving there myself. I have a '97 Mercury Mountaineer. I have no one to go with though and I find the thought of being a group leader daunting. I'm more of a support character. Maybe if there are alot of people from Chicago that don't have a ride I will step up and volunteer my vehicle.

Nik Huze on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I dunno, a lurker's first post and he wants to kill me in my sleep split the drive to Seattle with me? Why not? =)

Rius on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Haha, well three years of CCSTs and nobody has been killed in their sleep yet. Besides, if he kills you, he has to pay for all the gas.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Die Hard

Die Hard, Die Hard, Die Hard

So I think I will get this one. Any objections?

Features include:

400 watts maximum continuous output power
    ON/OFF switch and LED indicator
    Digital display (DC voltage, AC voltage and AC wattage)
    (2) 110V AC household outlets
    Thermal protection
    Built-in high-speed cooling fan
    Low battery alarm
    USB port

Clamp adapter with cables
    12V vehicle accessory (cigarette lighter) plug

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    yeah, that's the one I have, it's solid as a rock, it has auto-shutoff to protect your equipment and car battery in case something goes wrong (overheating, high voltage, low voltage, etc), we plugged a power strip into it last year and barely broke 200w

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    I dunno, a lurker's first post and he wants to kill me in my sleep split the drive to Seattle with me? Why not? =)

Heck, the first CCST, I had no clue who anybody was. And I also drove some random person's car without them batting an eye.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Very few things bring people as close as spending 2 days traveling together.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2009
    The CCST (although my participation was only for 120 miles) was my introduction to PAX in 07. Met up with everyone at the final waypoint, and I arrived at the convention center with a large group of friends. Best way to start a long weekend, IMO. :D

Hay Moe, you probably need the specs on my new car at some point. Let me know and I can shoot you an email. :P

Liger on
  • Options
    Nik HuzeNik Huze Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rius wrote: »

Yeah, sorry about the whole lurker thing. I never post in message boards. Not sure why. I assure you I am not a psychopath. If you have Xbox Live maybe we could play something and get to know each other.

Gamertag: Nik Huze

I actually live an hour away from Chicago, (DeKalb, IL) but I can get a ride up there to meet you and head to the first waypoint together. If you want to meet in person before the trip I'd be willing.

Do you have a group name? What do you think of "Eggplant Lincolns"?

Thanks a bunch, Rius.

Nik Huze on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nik Huze wrote: »
    I assure you I am not a psychopath.

That's hardly convincing.

"Look, I'm sane! I even have a certificate that says I am!"

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If I were a meaner person, I would suggest "The FIBs" for your group name :P

bonus points to anybody outside of the great lakes region who understands that reference

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fricking Illinois Bastard- A derogatory term for citizens of the state of Illinois, predominately used by the citizens of Wisconsin, especially in the Milwaukee area.

Wikipedia is too easy.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bah, no bonus points for you, cheater. Also it's "fucking" not "fricking"

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png