Options

PAX Information and FAQ (ASK QUESTIONS HERE!)

• Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    http://transit.metrokc.gov/

The 174 and 194 run from Downtown Seattle to the Airport area (along Hwy 99, where most of the airport hotels are) and both run into the late AM (2,3am ish). They are not the quickest transportation, but they get you there.

Personally, I wouldn't do it (I've done something similar in 07 pax). Have you considered the Green Tortoise hostel? There is a separate thread with info, I highly suggest it if you are looking to save/strapped for cash (again, speaking from experience, I stayed at the GT last year).

That_Spoony_Bard on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I also concur to *NOT* do this. Last year we had a bunch of us do this and it essentially is a gigantic pain in the ass. The busses fill up and during the busy parts of the transit time, they make you pay AFTER you get on the bus. It really stinks. Route 194 goes pretty much directly to the main hub of seattle but its still a bit of a walk.

Share a room at the sheraton with other people, Its cheaper and they will have a nice swimming pool this year on the top floor. Its very nice.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If we're lucky there will be trains running between the airport and downtown by the time of PAX, I think they'll run until 1am. Basing your plans on sound transit finishing on time would be foolish, since the only thing they're really aiming for is to have it online in time for the Olympics.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Don't count on the trains. With all the recent nasty weather in Seattle, a lot of construction plans have been delayed. They're /supposed/ to be completed in time, but... this is Seattle. SDOT doesn't really have their stuff together.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If I bring a laptop to BYOC will I look like an idiot?

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I hope not, it's what I intend to do. If we get made fun of too much, then we can sit next to each other and comfort one another.

redhalo on
  • Options
    TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Lots of people bring laptops to BYOC. When I still had one I brought it, but last year I brought my heavy tower. >_>

Theros on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Laptop? No

Netbook? Yes

:P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've been asked to ask this by someone so here it goes.

How old is the average person at PAX? Namely because my wife wants to know if us "old timers" are welcome. We're both 34 BTW.

Artoria on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    dragonsama wrote: »

How old is the average person at PAX? Namely because my wife wants to know if us "old timers" are welcome. We're both 34 BTW.

You'll be fine, I'm 28. I'd say most people are early to mid 20's, but It wasn't the at all uncommon to find people all the way though their 30's.

redhalo on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    redhalo wrote: »
    dragonsama wrote: »

You'll be fine, I'm 28. I'd say most people are early to mid 20's, but It wasn't the at all uncommon to find people all the way though their 30's.

Awesome! thanks!

Artoria on
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, pre-PAX '08 there was a thread bouncing around that was asking the average age of attendees..

MeeOk on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone remember what day they started hotel bookings?

parabola on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    parabola wrote: »
    Anyone remember what day they started hotel bookings?

Usually when pax was announced and reg went live.

Should be within the next month or so.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I ask only because I may want to try to get a corner suite. Although I'm still debating how worth it it will be. I didn't exactly spend a lot of time at my hotel ever.

parabola on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I ask only because I may want to try to get a corner suite. Although I'm still debating how worth it it will be. I didn't exactly spend a lot of time at my hotel ever.

But its still nice to have your own space to retreat to at night thats within walking distance.

All I did was sleep in mine last year, and I even live nearby but 10min drive vs 2min walk... espically with as dead tired as I was is no contest.
    Plus the beds in the hyatt were reasonably comfy

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I should have clarified. I was at the Hyatt last year but at a regular room. Debating between corner suite and regular kingsize room.

parabola on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm new to the "maek reservations" thing for hotels, but last year we stayed at the Crown Royal hotel - this year, we're aiming for the Sheraton.

Anybody who stayed at the Sheraton, did they charge your card full price before you actually went to PAX, or a holding fee or anything?

I'm still clearing off some of the holiday costs from my card, and knowing one way or the other would be a help.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm new to the "maek reservations" thing for hotels, but last year we stayed at the Crown Royal hotel - this year, we're aiming for the Sheraton.

Anybody who stayed at the Sheraton, did they charge your card full price before you actually went to PAX, or a holding fee or anything?

I'm still clearing off some of the holiday costs from my card, and knowing one way or the other would be a help.

Nearly all large hotels dont charge your card until you check out.

That includes all the usual pax hotels.

BigRed on
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

Awesome, thanks.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I should have clarified. I was at the Hyatt last year but at a regular room. Debating between corner suite and regular kingsize room.

I had a corner suite last year. It's a bit larger, with three separate areas (sitting room, bathroom, bedroom). If you're looking to see how many people you can pack in it, the suite is worth it.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

While they won't charge your card, they will put a hold on it. What this means is that while they won't place the charge against you and creating an obligation to pay, they will ask that the credit card company reserve the amount of your stay against your credit limit. So while you won't see a charge, you will see your credit limit lowered.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    FokkarFokkar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I stayed at the Sheraton last year (hedgie's right... they don't charge until you leave, but your credit limit is lowered for that 3-day period) and the room was big enough to house 4 of us relatively comfortably. On Saturday night we had about 10 people over and that made things a little cramped... so don't book a hotel room and plan to have 10 people stay there ;).

Fokkar on
  • Options
    crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey guys, i have a quick question that hopefully someone can help me out with. i was thinking of buying a 3-day pass as a gift for my boyfriend and one for myself. Since im purchasing both tickets, do we both have a chance to be selected as an omeganaut or is it just me?

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think it would just be you.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    To my knowledge, whomever purchases it--and places in a phone number--is eligible.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bah, i was hoping i could give him a chance to be an omeganaut, however ridiculously small the odds. Perhaps if i make two purchases and place all of his contact information as the shipping address?

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That may work. I do not know for sure.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fokkar wrote: »
    I stayed at the Sheraton last year (hedgie's right... they don't charge until you leave, but your credit limit is lowered for that 3-day period) and the room was big enough to house 4 of us relatively comfortably. On Saturday night we had about 10 people over and that made things a little cramped... so don't book a hotel room and plan to have 10 people stay there ;).

Are you one of the canadians we played tag with at the convention center till it closed and then followed them back to their room to drink beer?

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • Options
    DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What was the average PAX-discount rate of the hotels last year? Anyone remember?

DeusTrinitas on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2009
    Between 150 and 165 per night for a regular room, down from something like $300/night.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I believe it was something like 150 per night or something to that effect. Maybe 170, I can't recall for sure.

EDIT: Ah, beaten to the punch =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the info!

DeusTrinitas on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    One of the PA guys will say it, but it bears mentioning again - when you book your rooms, please try to do it in the PA blocks. Part of their ability to get more support from the city for PAX stems from how much revenue they can bring in, and hotel bookings make a large part of that.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    What do you mean by "the PA blocks"?

DeusTrinitas on
  • Options
    baljot187baljot187 Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    This is going to by me first time at PAX, so I'm getting everything done beforehand, and I want to buy the tickets right away. Is it around summertime that they'll go on sale, or pretty soon from now?

baljot187 on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PA says "Hotels, we have this giant convention with people form coming across the country, most of whom need hotel rooms, how about cutting us/them a deal?" Hotels say "Ok, we'll have X number of rooms available at $Y/night for PAX" (where Y is quite a bit lower than their normal rate). If every hotel in town has all of has all X rooms filled, they'll be much more likely to do it again next year and have more rooms available since they more or less know then can fill up X rooms for PAX (and who knows, Y could go down also).

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My e-mail history says I registered for PAX08 on Jan 25. I imagine it won't be too long before the super-duper early bird registration starts.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Super-duper early bird registration FTW!

DeusTrinitas on
  • Options
    emoericemoeric Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just sign me up for registration forever and hotel reservations forever too..

When can we book hotel?
    I must get the pax rate for all the days this year!
    Last year got a bit wild but all worked out in the end :D

emoeric on
This discussion has been closed.