Options

PAX Information and FAQ (ASK QUESTIONS HERE!)

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I was pretty close to the front that year.

I guess I never considered the hugeness of PAX. Oh well, all the more fun.
    What are the strategies for getting a good spot in the line?
    And do the tickets get you into all the live Podcasts and talks for free?

Just get there early.
    The only thing at pax that has an extra cost is the BYOC room, everything else comes with admission.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Jordman12Jordman12 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm getting a media pass this year for PAX. I was wondering if anyone knew if Media Passes get mailed out as well or if I have to pick it up at Will-Call.

I'm just wondering because of a couple of friends of mine had to pick up there Media Passes up at Will Call and I think they registered a few months before PAX.

Jordman12 on
    2015 PAX East Omeganaut
    2016 PAX East Omeganaut

HAIL HATS !!!!!!!

@Jordman12
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Media, Special Guest, and VIP passes were all will call items last year, IIRC.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, two years ago they mailed the Media badges (Which the mailroom guy almost stole from me that year)... Last year was a pick-up at will-call.

Damn, I hate not working at the paper anymore.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    markdagomarkdago Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey there!

I was wondering if anyone had information on the music line up this year? We want to throw our hats in the ring.

Let us know...Thanks!

Mark Dago
    -Rotten Musicians

Check out the video for one of our songs, "+20 Broadsword"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7he_vSW1wuY

www.myspace.com/rottenmusicians

markdago on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Anamanaguchi has told me that they will be at PAX this year, but nothing has been officially announced yet. I'm sure we will most likely at least see the OneUps, Freezepop, and Jonathan Coulton again. I gotta say, after seeing that video, i wouldn't mind seeing you guys there either. I'll have to show that to my group at our session tomorrow. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    the eNeMEthe eNeME Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    I was planning on making a road trip out to PAX this year (from Wisconsin) with a bunch of friends, but now it seems I will not be able to because the timing conflicts with the start of the fall semester of college.

When I originally planned this trip, just a few weeks after I heard how amazing last year's event was, I assumed PAX would be the same weekend it was that year (August 29-31). With school starting on Sept. 3, that would have worked perfectly. I realize that there is likely nothing that can be done about it now, but I was just wondering why PAX was pushed back a week from when it was last year.

I'm sure I am not the only one who's being affected by this change. Perhaps this issue could be addressed in the scheduling of future events.

the eNeME on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The decision to hold PAX on Labor Day weekend going forward is threefold:

1. Given 70% of attendees are coming in from out of town, it allows for 1 extra day of travel as opposed to rushing back on Friday night.
    2. Seattle (despite Bumbershoot being that same weekend) is actually dead in terms of out-of-town travel on Labor Day Weekend. What this means is we're able to negotiate hotel room rates at much more aggressive rate than the week before - we're literally talking a difference of hundreds of dollars for the weekend for attendees.
    3. Because most conferences/trade shows are business-to-business, we're actually able to get the space we need as opposed to being crammed in with another large show.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    the eNeME wrote: »
    I was planning on making a road trip out to PAX this year (from Wisconsin) with a bunch of friends, but now it seems I will not be able to because the timing conflicts with the start of the fall semester of college.

When I originally planned this trip, just a few weeks after I heard how amazing last year's event was, I assumed PAX would be the same weekend it was that year (August 29-31). With school starting on Sept. 3, that would have worked perfectly. I realize that there is likely nothing that can be done about it now, but I was just wondering why PAX was pushed back a week from when it was last year.

I'm sure I am not the only one who's being affected by this change. Perhaps this issue could be addressed in the scheduling of future events.

See khoos quote ^

Plus last year it was labor day weekend as well.

BigRed on
  • Options
    MushroomsMushrooms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    Correct, only BYOC attendees can go into the BYOC room.

I have a further question about this: I thought I read that only ONE BYOC would be granted for each group of tickets purchased (as in if you bought 2 tickets at a time, you still only could be granted a max of one BYOC spot)

if this is the case, does that mean that if my Fiance wants to go in there, that I will have to sit outside the door by myself and wait for him?

Mushrooms on
    All shalt feel the wrath of the all-mighty POINTY KITTY OF DOOOOOM!!
    purrrrrrrrrrrrr*snuggle*
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2009
    You can buy as many BYOC seats/passes as you want. But nobody without a BYOC pass will be admitted into the BYOC room.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Mushrooms wrote: »
    Correct, only BYOC attendees can go into the BYOC room.

I have a further question about this: I thought I read that only ONE BYOC would be granted for each group of tickets purchased (as in if you bought 2 tickets at a time, you still only could be granted a max of one BYOC spot)

if this is the case, does that mean that if my Fiance wants to go in there, that I will have to sit outside the door by myself and wait for him?

Yeah I have no idea where you got that from but you can buy as many BYOC passes that you will need. you buy those at a later date.

BigRed on
  • Options
    DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If one's proposal for a panel, presentation, etc. is accepted, that person receives a free pass for the expo, right? Is it just a regular pass? Early entry? Something like that?

DeusTrinitas on
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If one's proposal for a panel, presentation, etc. is accepted, that person receives a free pass for the expo, right? Is it just a regular pass? Early entry? Something like that?

Just a speaker pass, It allows access during all show hours and can be picked up at will-call!

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    But not the same will call line as everybody else. It is it's own special booth at Will-Call (at least it was last year).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Correct, Speakers, Special Guests, and Media have a seperate will-call line to get them moving quickly! Details about this will be sent to panelists before PAX.

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    WifflebatWifflebat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Question for the locals, is commuting to PAX from Bremerton plausible? Google says it's 1:15 each way but is there any particular traffic patterns or local issues to avoid? This will be my first year with an option for housing and I wanted to see if I could dodge the hotel costs.

Wifflebat on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What about taking the ferry?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's been a long time since I took the ferry from seattle to bremerton (we're talking like ten years here) but I seem to remember it taking about an hour. Traffic would be a big concern if you're planning on driving on, though I believe most of the traffic in the morning on a weekday would be from seattle to bremerton and not the other way around. If you're walking on then it shouldn't be a problem.

Keep in mind though that if you're planning on hanging around in seattle until the doors close, the ferry may well have stopped running for the night. You can check on the washington state ferries webpage to be sure, but my guess is they quit around 2am. And if that happens you're about sixty plus miles to drive around via the tacoma narrows bridge.

Personally the travel time and expense for gas or ferry would make me prefer a hotel. But I live about a ten, twenty minute drive away from the convention center, depending on traffic, so I don't have to make that choice.

faits on
    faits.png
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Re: ferry

Didn't they shut down one of the ferries this year for repairs or something? Also, keep in mind just how late you want to be at PAX. Time really gets away from you, and if you decide to commute by ferry you live and die by that schedule PLUS taxi time.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    WifflebatWifflebat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was actually thinking of moving my car across on the ferry everyday. That way I have the flexibility to either drive or float back, depending on when we leave. Thanks for the info though.

Wifflebat on
  • Options
    Raptor007Raptor007 Seattle, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure if the tournaments have been decided yet, but I'd definitely throw in my vote for Call of Duty 4. I know World at War is the newest, but I think the general consensus is that CoD4 is better. The best tournament mode would be 5v5 Search and Destroy, hardcore mode. Last year it was one-bomb, but I think it's a little more fun and balanced when everyone on offense has a bomb (there are servers online with this configuration, like =EZ= Company Hardcore).

Also, any chance of setting up the profiles for Rank 55 so we can use Create-a-Class? I can provide a profile modifier so you could get it set up on all the tournament machines. It's a pretty simple procedure, but the program requires access to the registry, so you'd probably have to do it in advance.

I recall that back when Battlefield 2142 came out, PAX still had a BF2 tourney because it was more popular, which is why I'm hoping they'll do CoD4 this year. In fact, if there's still enough interest I'd absolutely love a Battlefield 2 tournament... but I'm probably in the minority there.

Raptor007 on
    7nDuqUj.png
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is there any free parking within a 5-block radius?

I'm wondering because I'd not want to spend the extra $25/day for a couple days and just have a healthy walk to my hotel or something. :)

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Is there any free parking within a 5-block radius?

I'm wondering because I'd not want to spend the extra $25/day for a couple days and just have a healthy walk to my hotel or something. :)

Nope.

parking is free after 7pm in seattle, but before that if you park street side and dont pay every 2h then you will get parking tickets and/or towed.

BigRed on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks man.. looks like parking will be paid.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh that reminds me. Does anybody know the maximum height on the garages for the WSCTC and the Grand Hyatt? I'll be in a taller vehicle this year (8') and I need to know it will fit somewhere.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ShaukShauk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I mean, yes, I understand that these things are expensive to host and organize. But with thousands upon thousands of people who were attending, I was under the impression that pax paid for itself, was a convention for gamers/by gamers.

This feels like a cash grab to me, the savings of 5$ off the door price doesn't seem reasonably rewarding enough for being a preregistrant.

It's already expensive enough to organize travel and time off work for people who are out of state, seems punitive to me. I don't think I'll be going anyways, but I figured it would be a good place to discuss this.

Do you feel it's too expensive? or just right?

Early Bird Pricing (Before March 31st):

3-day pass: $35! (Save $30)

Pre-Registration Pricing (After April 1st, Before August 1st):

Friday Only: $17 (Save $3)
    Saturday Only: $20 (Save $5)
    Sunday Only: $17 (Save $3)
    3 Day Pass: $40 (Save $25)

Early Bird Pricing (Before March 31st):
    3-day pass: $40! (Save $10)
    Pre-Registration Pricing (After April 1st, Before August 1st):
    Friday Only: $25 (Save $5)
    Saturday Only: $25 (Save $5)
    Sunday Only: $25 (Save $5)
    3 Day Pass: $45 (Save $5)

I didn't see any early bird option this year. and it continually gets more expensive.

Shauk on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    2006 was in a different venue so you cant really compare.

Its not a cash grab, its expensive to rent out the entire WSCTC. Plus theres limited ticket sales (cap on attendance) so if you dont pre-reg then you might not get in :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    WSCTC Max Height is 6'5" I'll look into the Grand Hyatt just for you Moe.

Look, I'm being nice to you for once!

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    hyatt parking garage is 6'7" or 6'8" I beleive

BigRed on
  • Options
    DopeskiDopeski Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Meh, 50 bucks is nothing for 3 days of awesomeness. I go to concerts a lot and the most I've paid for one is 118 dollars. They only last for a few hours whereas PAX is 3 whole days. 50 dollars isn't much to ask. :)

Dopeski on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Man, what's up with all these short garages. Shortest garage I've seen here is 7'. Now where will I park the van?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Man, what's up with all these short garages. Shortest garage I've seen here is 7'. Now where will I park the van?

Moe if you dig up the old google earth PAX thing from 2007, I already collected infos about all the parking garages within like a 10block radius of the wsctc, including clearances.

Edit:
    here you go, all the parking info youd ever want :P

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=15696

BigRed on
  • Options
    ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Seeing as my only other Con experience is Blizzcon, which was 100 bucks for 2 days (and I had to win a friggin' lotto just for the chance to buy tickets), 50 bucks for three days seems like a great deal to me.

Plus, as Dopeski points out, I have payed a lot more for a lot fewer hours of entertainment many a time (50 bucks is only about 5-6 movies, which is around 15 hours if they're epic - still nowhere near the PAX timeframe).

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They're renting out the entire WSCTC this year, which probably results in an increased rental fee.

Plus, isn't there an attendance limit this year? If there are limited ticket sales, then each ticket would have to be a certain price to ensure an adequate return on investment. meh, I don't really know about the ins and outs of any of that, but I'll happily pay a few extra bucks to not be corralled into the expo hall with 75,000 other people like a cattle drive.

And at the very worst, even if this were just a selfish attempt to get more money, they probably deserve it anyway.

edit: Holy crap guys, way to move the thread as I'm writing! I felt pretty inadequate when I thought the thread had grown by a dozen--no, 8 pages!!! of comments in the 2 minutes it took me to type something... ;)

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Apparently it is 6"8, but they suggest 6'5".

You can toooooooooootally fit the van.

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ...but what will i do with the other foot and a half of van?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Moe if you dig up the old google earth PAX thing from 2007, I already collected infos about all the parking garages within like a 10block radius of the wsctc, including clearances.

Edit:
    here you go, all the parking info youd ever want :P

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=15696

My favorite downtown garage is the Benaroya Hall parking garage. It's clean, the people are nice, and it's open late (I don't remember how late! :( ) (and whenever I park there I feel like I'm going to a fancy show at Benaroya Hall ;) ) It's a little bit further than the others, but it's so nice! And... right across the street from the Triple door...

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ...but what will i do with the other foot and a half of van?

Moe, if you dont need it *during* pax for much, you can park it at my apartment (or whereever im living at in seattle by PAX), its only a short bus trip to the wsctc (like 10-15min).

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I might take you up on that. Once we've unloaded the van, we won't need it for anything.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.