As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Information and FAQ (ASK QUESTIONS HERE!)

• Options
    Legions Of AntsLegions Of Ants Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Awesome! Thank you. Looks like we're close to Pike Place, too. I remember loving that little strip last time I was there.

Legions Of Ants on
    Sonar signals singing back at me.
  • Options
    snoozetillnoonsnoozetillnoon Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    How can I volunteer to work @ PAX? My friend did it last year.

snoozetillnoon on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    If your friend was an enforcer last year, your best bet would be to ask him, I think.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    you still have to wait for the enforcer application that everyone else will have to wait for, you can apply then.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, I bought a couple of PAX tickets (which are in my name) a while back, but have just found out that I will not be able to go. Are they transferable? Do I need to do anything if I want to give them to someone else?

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nope, you can just hand the badges to a friend when they arrive in the mail!

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Right, I should have mentioned this.

I'm from Canada, so, they'd have to pick the badges up there. I do have these ticket things that I got when I ordered my passes, which I'm hoping they could just present there.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Nope! No ID needed at all, just hand them the barcode sheet and they can pick up the tickets at will-call.

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    h_e_e_l_s wrote: »
    Nope! No ID needed at all, just hand them the barcode sheet and they can pick up the tickets at will-call.

I am soooo excited for this new system.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I'm going through and starting to look at booking flights and hotels. Does this sound right, or do you think I could do better?

IND to SEA, round trip, 9/3 to 9/6
    About $300

Edit: Huh, the PA site to search this stuff is around $350 at the lowest... then a quick jump to $400. Why...? I saw lots of ~$300 round-trips on Priceline. I want to make sure I'm getting every discount/the best price I can, and now I'm a bit wary on using the PA site?

Grand Hyatt, Check in 9/3, check out 9/6

... Crap, looks like it's sold out :(
    Any great alternatives within walking distance?

Looks like the Sheraton is only a block away? And only $174 a night? That price doesn't change on multiple people, either... that's wierd? One bed one person is the same price as two beds two people? Awesome.

Edit:

Grand Hyatt has openings for 9/4-9/7... Hmm. Would have to change flight plans to get in early 9/4... or gamble on a room opening up for the night of the 3rd..

Edit2:

Grand Hyatt on the PA Travel site shows availability from 9/4-9/6... yet the Grand Hyatt Seattle website says it's booked. -_-

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Grand Hyatt on the PA Travel site shows availability from 9/4-9/6... yet the Grand Hyatt Seattle website says it's booked. -_-

The PA site gives you access to the block of rooms reserved for PAX - likely a large chunk of the hotel, which explains the sold out status to the general public.

Also I think the Sheraton got smacked down by Khoo on account of cheaper rooms being available through their normal website - until last week it was $25 per extra person.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Interesting. So I can go ahead and get the 9/4-9/6 opening in the PAX area... Really wish I could do a 9/3 as well, could I get a separate room somewhere else in the hotel on the 3rd, then move over to the other room on the 4th?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm not going to stop you. And I'm sure the hotel will be happy to take your money.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You can probably book what you can at the travel desk and then call the hotel and ask to add what day's you couldn't book at the travel desk for a regular rate. Failing that you might have to move from one hotel to another.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Nesmaster75Nesmaster75 Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    Hey guys, I have no idea if anyone can help me, but it's worth a shot I guess...

I recently registered for PAX 2010 (the event taking place in Boston), and I accidentally never checked off the ECA offer that was given to people registering, and I totally regret it now. Is there anyway I can give my ticket number or something to still take advantage of that offer? It would mean a lot. Thanks for the attempt if anything :D

Nesmaster75 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Shoot me a PM with your name and contact information, and we'll take care of it.

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So forgive me if this is already mention but there are bunched of signs on downtown bus stops saying that the tunnel hours will be expanded on May 30th. I cannot find a link on the website explaining what is going on but I cannot find it. I will post it tonight or today.

edit: Only link I could find is that the trains are out, please stay safe when you come to visit.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    ShigglesShiggles Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Looks like the Sheraton is only a block away? And only $174 a night? That price doesn't change on multiple people, either... that's wierd? One bed one person is the same price as two beds two people? Awesome.

Hotel chains usually base their prices on the number of room types they have and the ammenities. For example the hotel I work at has only a few single king standard rooms, yet we have lots of two queen standard rooms, so the single king standards go for a bit more. It's usually when you stay at non-chain hotels or motels that they charge per person. Hotels that are part of a chain have a fire code limit of how many can be in the room (ours is 3 person per king standard, 4 per two queen standard, 5 for single king suites and 7 for two queen suites/two queen deluxe suites/single king deluxe suites) so they don't really care to much about how many people are in the room as long as it doesn't exceed the fire code hazard limit. :D

Shiggles on
  • Options
    IcedhopeIcedhope Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What is the PAX dinner? I'm just curious?

Icedhope on
    Look! Another ReMake!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That depends on if you're talking about the Pre-PAX dinner or the Post-PAX Dinner.

Post-PAX dinner info can be found here.

Pre-PAX dinner details haven't been released yet for this year, but in the past ElectricTurtle and Astayonix take the lead in organizing that event. It takes place Thursday evening before PAX opens.

Liger on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Both of which are community ran events and have no relation to Penny-Arcade or PAX

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Does the pre-PAX dinner typically stay within walking distance? For example, I'm at the Grand Hyatt and I'm not renting a car. Will I have an easy way to get there?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If it is not within walking distance, likely a bus or carpool group will be set up to make sure everyone gets there. Keep watching the forum here for infoz as PAX gets closer!

Liger on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    When I bought my PAX tickets, I had no plans to move. Now I'm moving home in two weeks (I'm just as surprised as you are) and I need to change my mailing address. Only I can't find out how to do this on the PAX website, nor is there anything in the email that leads me to believe I'm able to give a new mailing address.

So... halp? How do I change my mailing address with Team PAX?

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    When I bought my PAX tickets, I had no plans to move. Now I'm moving home in two weeks (I'm just as surprised as you are) and I need to change my mailing address. Only I can't find out how to do this on the PAX website, nor is there anything in the email that leads me to believe I'm able to give a new mailing address.

So... halp? How do I change my mailing address with Team PAX?

There is a thread about it here.

Liger on
  • Options
    DjittersDjitters Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hi,

I'll be over in the US on holidays roughly a week before PAX, departing Australia on the 29th August. Since I'll be over there I would like to go to PAX, but I have a question regarding pre-registration.

It says that pre-registration packs are mailed out in the second week of August. Can a previous Australian attendee let me know if they think the pre-reg pack is likely to arrive before I depart, or if I would be better off getting it sent to friends in the US who are also attending PAX and just collecting it from them?

Thanks in advance,
    Djitters

Djitters on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    As someone from outside the United States, your pass won't be mailed to you. Bring a copy of your pre-reg 'receipt' (a barcode/confirmation code) with you and come to the Registration area first thing. There will be a will-call line for international attendees including yourself to pick up your pass, program and swag bag.

Liger on
  • Options
    CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey mate,

I'm an Aussie PAX goer and yeah, you just pre-reg, print out the receipt and you just take it to registration on the day or to the night before and pick up your pass. Easy as. It is no trouble at all. I did that last year for my first year and it worked out sweet.

Also those rego people have a thing for Australians. Watch out. You may or may not get kidnapped.

CuZZa on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's not kidnapping when the promise of free candy is fulfilled.. ... right? <.<

Liger on
  • Options
    DjittersDjitters Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ah, awesome. That sounds fairly easy, thanks for clearing that up :)

Djitters on
  • Options
    piguy42piguy42 Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    The next penny arcade expo will be the first one I attend (even though Iv lived in Seattle for my entire life) and I want to know if there is anything I need to go to/see/do, whether its because it is required or because its something I simply cant miss.

piguy42 on
  • Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    check the stickied pax FAQ, hit up the magical mystery tour thread, and i would keep an eye on the seattle pre-pax events if you wanna get hooked up with sexytimes before pax

Ravenger on
    <@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    TamrenTamren Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey guys. Had a blast going to PAX last year and I am looking forward to attending yet again.

However the new will-call procedures kind of threw me in a loop. Last year all I needed was picture ID, a passport in my case. However this year the pre-reg stuff is asking me to print out this page with a barcode.

Now here is where the problems start. I don't own a printer! Ack! The registration site gave me the option of saving the page as a pdf to print on another computer. However my PDF reader Sumatra couldn't even load the file. I tried sending it to another computer (without internet) which has Adobe Reader, but it came up with an error message that said "failed to decode". Double Ack!

---

So I'm wondering what the heck to do now. Does the size of the barcode matter? If not then it may be possible for me to take a screenshot of the page and print that out instead. But if all else fails and the barcode produced is unreadable by the scanner, can the people at the will-call desk enter the data manually?

I know PAX is still a ways off yet, but I would hate to show up and be stuck out in the cold :(

Tamren on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sounds like you had an error downloading the PDF given that two computers using two different pdf readers could not open the file.

Find a computer with a printer and internet access (library, kinko's or friend's house, etc), open up the confirmation e-mail (the one titled "Your PAX Prime 2009 Tickets") and click on the link that says "IF YOU DID NOT PRINT YOUR TICKET(S) CLICK HERE". From there, you should be able to print your tickets without issue. Doing it this way, you can completely bypass the PDF file.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited June 2009
    So I've got my ticket purchased, going to book hotel this week at the Grand Hyatt, then plane tickets sometime next month.

So how hard is it going to be to "get around", so to speak? Is there usually a very long wait to get into the building and check-in? Also, having not been to an expo/convention before... What kinds of things are there to do when you're there? I understand the social aspect of it, the game developers and demos, BYOC, and the music... but for curiosity what other sorst of events and entertainment is there? I'm sure there won't be a shortage of stuff to do...

Also, I see the numbers for previous events in the 55,000+ range... and, sure, there's only 192 responses on the Hotel poll... but roughly how many PAXers stay in any given hotel? Are the majority of the PAX-goers from Seattle/WA? Is it really obvious when you get into one of these Hotels that there are PAX people there? I mean, it's not like I'm going to have to carry around a red-rose in a book and sit on a bench in front of a tree in order to find a PAX-person... but I'd like to "attach" to a few groups of PAX'ers throughout the weekend so I have some people to follow around and enjoy the expo with. I dunno, walking around for many hours for three days alone could be fun, but probably not as much as with other people... and although I don't know any of you personally, I've been around for quite a while here, and I can't possibly see how anyone coordinates or finds anyone else...

tl;dr, I wanna latch onto a group of PAX'ers when I get there :P

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just look for people wearing loads of buttons or utili-kilts. Or, since you're coming in Thursday, get some new drinking buddies; hopefully you'll remember a few faces come Friday.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Trust me when I say, PAX people are very obvious. You'll know you're among friends as soon as you step into PAX/one of the hotels.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have to concur with Moe. Finding fellow PAX-goers is not difficult. Last year, my partner and I were in Seattle for the entire week prior to PAX and we were able to pick out other PAXers that were sightseeing -days- prior to PAX. We were even able to pick out one or two developers and (as cliche' as it might sound) actually chatted with them in a local coffee shop in the days before PAX. Walk up to anyone you suspect as a PAX attendee and ask them if they are there for PAX. You will get one of two responses: if they are not there for PAX, they will say, "What's that?" If they are there for PAX, you will be immediately accepted as "one of the gang" even if you are a complete stranger.

There's a bit of a wait to get in on the first day. As a foreigner, i have no concept of the flaming hoops of fire that you will be required to jump through. But once done, there is no wait at all.

As for "things to do" when you see the actual schedule (which is not published yet) you will not wonder what to do, but rather how to do it all! There is something happening almost 24/7 during PAX hours. Fret not!

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    Matt JoMatt Jo Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    Hey
    I am trying to acquire a media badge for PAX 2009. I am having some trouble though. I did the online registration and then it told me to mail or fax three things in. So one of the things is a letter from the editor. Well I am the editor in chief on my site so would I write the letter? And what would the letter say? Would it just request a media badge?

Also how do you know if the people running PAX receive your fax? Do they email you something back? Like how do you get confirmation on whether or not you got a media badge?

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Matt Jo on
This discussion has been closed.