As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] WoWarcraft d20: Tides of Darkness

INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teethRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Critical Failures
WC2ToD-logo.png
WarCraft 2 wrote:
Six years have passed since the First War between man and orc...

The once might army of Azeroth lay among the blackend and charred remains of Stormwind Keep. Those that escaped fled across the great sea bringing tales of the suffering they had faced at the hands of the Orcish Hordes. Eager to engage in battle once again, the orcs constructed ships of war to bear them across the Great Sea.

The Orcish warriors yearned for the sounds of battle to fill the air and looked to the far horizon for new blood to spill. Using the weapons forged by their new allies, the humans made haste to prepare for the onslaught. While Dwarven cannon were being loaded, others armed themselves with Elven steel and mail.

Now, united in arms with new allies against a common foe, Mankind stands at the shores of destiny and awaits the coming of The Tides of Darkness.
Fluff:
Tides of Darkness will be a Play-By-Post game run here on the Penny-Arcade forums, players permitting. This game will be set during the Second War for Azeroth and will center around warriors in Orgrim Doomhammer's Horde. We will be using the World of WarCraft Role-playing Game rulebook, as well as supplements (which I have, and players don't need to worry about.)

The game will begin shortly following the freeing of Zul'jin and his forest trolls from Alliance forces, and the players will be members or allies of the Blackrock Clan, serving as elite warriors who answer directly to Orgrim Doomhammer, Warchief of the Horde. The PCs will be a cut above the rest of the Horde, handling situations that require finesse or brutality above and beyond what the Warchief can expect from the rest of his Horde.

There will be more fluff as characters are presented and details are ironed out! The game will be character driven as much as it is plot driven, and the fluff and plot will reflect that.

Character Generation:
Thrall's new Horde (and the rules presented in the World of WarCraft handbook) are inappropriate for a game set before the end of the Third War.

The following races are present in the New Horde:
Orcs: Tainted by demonic blood, the orcs are presently invading the northern Eastern Kingdoms, driving the humans from their homes.
Forest Trolls: Mechanically identical to the Jungle Trolls in the WoWd20 core book, these larger, more muscular trolls have allied themselves with Doomhammer's Horde after their leader, Zul'jin, was freed from the Alliance by Doomhammer's forces.
Ogres: Slaves to the orcs in some cases and allies in others, these huge warriors came alongside the orcs when they invaded Azeroth. Statistics for ogres are provided in the Horde Player's Guide.
Goblins: Always looking for new ways to earn cash monies, many goblins have allied themselves with Doomhammer's Horde to make money and blow things up.

Characters will begin at level 5 with 9,000 gold worth of equipment, and will be created with 32 point buy.

Finally, following the example set in ArcanisTheImpotent's Liberation game, we will be using some house rules to speed things along and address some things I don't like:

Defenses instead of Saves: Instead of rolling saving throws against a static DC, attack roles are made against static Defenses. Defenses are equal to the character's Saving Throw Modifier + 11.
Iterative Attacks and Damage Bonuses: Iterative attacks are being removed. Instead, whenever a character would receive an iterative attack, they instead add an additional die to any attack rolls made with a melee or attack weapon. Additionally, all melee or attack rolls add a level bonus equal to 1/2 the character's level to their damage.
Encounter Powers: Any abilities that are limited by uses-per-day are now limited by uses-per-encounter. This includes spellcasters' spells, although spellcasters must still rest to regain their spells at the beginning of a new day.

The specific role of the PCs will be determined once character concepts are all finalized, due to the different strengths that different parties might have.

Ideally, we will have one character of each race; I'd like to avoid specifically multiple ogres or goblins (trolls and orcs are much more common within the Old Horde.)

If you don't have the rulebook, that's okay - you can get by with the d20 srd and a little help from GM Salt.

Cast and Crew
Horseshoe as Bokk, Troll axethrower.
delroland as Turduk, Ogre spearman. [Deserted!]
El Skid as Zul'Farra, Troll Witchdocter.
mazikeen as Zaga, Orcish archer.
ArcanisTheImpotent as Mal'kar Shadowgore, Orc warlock. [Ousted!]

INeedNoSalt on

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hellz yeah. Orc Warlock get!!

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Color me interested. And green.

I don't have access to the book; would you mind posting brief descriptions of the character classes?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    Color me interested. And green.

I don't have access to the book; would you mind posting brief descriptions of the character classes?

Sure. You've got some basic classes, like the Barbarian and Warrior, which are pretty much identical to the PHB Barbarian and Fighter.

There are Scouts, which are sort of like ranger/rogue hybrids. Track, woodland stride, evasion, things like that, as well as a few spell-like abilities, and a special ability that allows them to use Survival checks to heal wounds.

There are Rogues, which look a lot like PHB rogues, but they begin gaining Special Abilities sooner, and have more options to choose from for those abilities.

The Paladin likewise resembles the Paladin from the PHB with more options, but they're intensely inappropriate for this game.

There are Hunters, which are entirely new full BAB class pretty much. They get pets and do lots of ranged damage.

Tinkers are pretty much just what they sound like. I don't really think this is a good choice of class if you don't have the book, though, because they're really rules-heavy. They build stuff.

Arcanists are mages and Healers are clerics, essentially. Arcanists are divided into Warlocks, Necromancers, and Mages (mages less appropriate for this game); they share one class, and each branch also has additional abilities and spells available to them. Healers are divided into Druids, Priests, and Shamans (druids are pretty much out of the question though), and likewise share one class with a number of abilities and spells unique to each path.

EDIT: Trolls and Orcs also have the option of taking levels in Racial Classes, which aren't mandatory, but increase natural benefits of the race (trolls gain more efficient healing, for example, and orcs gain increased strength and the ability to Rage more often.)

Ogres are a six-level-deep Creature Class, which is a little bit different: ogres must take their levels from the Ogre class until they reach level 6. They're also Large Size at level 5!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    need moar ogres

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Need more everything! Come on folks. I know 3.5 isn't a huge hit around here, but the system isn't such a big deal! This is a game about being badass pillaging monsters! Who doesn't want to play that!

Edit: With a little pondering, I think we will increase the starting level to 5. Ogres will start at Large size, and some classes will begin with access to certain class-defining abilities (like hunters' pets.)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Large size, huh? I might be up for some reach weapon, Str 26 murderage.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Large size, huh? I might be up for some reach weapon, Str 26 murderage.

Who wouldn't?

Ogres in WoWd20 aren't ogres straight from the d20 MM, though.

As a level 5 ogre, this is what your basic character would look like:

3d8 HP; +3 BAB; 6 skill points, modified by int; +1 fort, +3 ref, +3 will; two feats; +4 natural armor; large size; +9 str, +4 sta(con), large size, -2 agi (dex), -4 int, -4 cha. Ogres have proficiency with simple weapons and light and medium armor.

Ogres are a little underpowered in some areas as a result of their creature class; by CL 6, you'll only have 4 hit dice and 8 skill points. On the other hand, you'll have +10 strength, large size, and the potential to eventually become an Ogre Mage, when Gul'dan infuses lots of ogres with Elven magic. (Ogre Mages are a seven level class, but come out with full spell casting for their HD, less penalties, and equal or greater ability bonuses.)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Is Wisdom the casting stat for ogre mages? Or do they get a huge stat boost once they start on the class?

delroland on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    *gasp*

salt i don't know what i want to play (edit - probably a forest troll now that i think about it)

but if you can save a spot for me for like a day or so so i can figure it out

<3 's forever

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If this was an Alliance Campaign I would be all over this. Will be interesting to read though.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    wisdom doesn't exist in WoWd20. it's called Spirit. :P also, no, it's intellect. Ogre Mage is its own separate race.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Is Wisdom the casting stat for ogre mages? Or do they get a huge stat boost once they start on the class?

Ogre Mages are a race, but they choose a spellcasting class when they become ogre mages, and use the stats for that class to do their spellcasting.

They're a seven level class with only 4 HD, though, and they keep the str bonus of normal ogres ... and also have +6 more intelligence (for a total +2 int instead of -4).

Basically, after 7 levels of XP, an ogre mage is a level 4 character with level 4 spellcasting, +2 int, +10 str, -2 agi, -4 cha, +4 sta, and +2 spi. So on the one hand, not as powerful as a pure spellcaster, and on the other hand, they've got full BAB for 4 levels of caster and can probably hit dudes just as hard as a warrior.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So would I create an ogre that gets turned into an ogre mage, or would I make an ogre mage from the gate?

I've also got a friend I can borrow the books from this weekend, so I'll work on a character then.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So would I create an ogre that gets turned into an ogre mage, or would I make an ogre mage from the gate?

I've also got a friend I can borrow the books from this weekend, so I'll work on a character then.

You would make an ogre because ogre mages don't exist at the time the game starts.

Later on, when Gul'Dan makes his ogre mages, you might be able to replace Ogre levels with Ogre Mage levels, pretty much.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay, this is what I have so far:

Tur'duk, ogre of the Stonemaul Clan
    Str 25, Agi 10, Sta 16, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 4
    hp 26, AC 13 (+ armor), F 15, R 14, W 15

Should I apply my size penalty to Reflex Defense?

Also, for the 6 skill points listed above, did you include the quadrupled skill points for first level? I thought only animals got 1 skill point a level (which would equal 6 at 3HD).

delroland on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I also don't have the book, but would be very interested.

How hard would it be to whip up a Troll Hunter without access to the books, Salt? edit- never mind. I have acquired a copy of the book. <3

An would I 'ave to talk like dis, mon?

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    El Skid wrote: »
    An would I 'ave to talk like dis, mon?

Yes.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hey guys

Since I only have the core book:

are there any feats in the supplements that allow you to two-weapon fight or to throw one-handed melee weapons?

thanks.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Bokk
    Troll Axethrower
    bokkga4.jpg
    Medium Humanoid (TROLL!)
    Troll 2 / Warrior 2 / Barbarian 1
    Init +4; Senses Spot +4, Listen +4, Low Light Vision
    Languages Troll, Orc
    AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15
    hp 53; Defenses Fort 23, Ref 16, Will 14
    Speed walk 30 ft.
    Melee Troll Waraxe +10 (1d10+4; 20/x3) or
    Melee Troll Waraxe +10 (1d10+10, 20/x3) in two hands (reckless attack 2) or
    Melee Troll Waraxe +8 (1d10+14, 20/x3) in two hands (power attack 2, reckless attack 2) or
    Melee Troll Waraxe +12 (1d10+2d6+4; 20/x3) while Charging or
    Melee Troll Waraxe +12 (1d10+2d6+10, 20/x3) in two hands while Charging (reckless attack 2)
    Melee Troll Waraxe +10 (1d10+2d6+14, 20/x3) in two hands while Charging (power attack 2, reckless attack 2) or
    Melee Troll Waraxe +8 (1d10+4, 20/x3) and Throwing Axe +8 (1d6+2, 20/x2)
    Thrown Throwing Axe +10 (1d6+4) or
    Thrown Throwing Axe +8 (1d6+4, 20x2) and Throwing Axe +8 (1d6+4, 20/x2)
    Base Atk +5 Grp +9
    Space/Reach 5ft/5ft
    Special Actions Power Attack, Reckless Attack, Two-Weapon Fighting, Throwstorm Rage 1/day
    Abilities Str 18, Agi 16, Sta 16, Int 6, Spi 14, Cha 6
    Special Qualities +1 to attack rolls with with thrown weapons, Fast Healing 1 (Ex)
    Feats Weapons (Simple, Martial, [strike]Dwarven[/strike] Troll Waraxe), Armor (Light, Medium, Heavy, Shields), Power Attack, Two Weapon Fighting, Reckless Attack
    Skills Climb +6, Jump +5, Listen +4, Spot +4, Survival +4, Tumble +5
    Possessions [strike]Rhino[/strike] Gyphonhide Armor +2, Troll Waraxe +1, Cloak of Resistance +1, [strike]Potion of Cure Light Wounds[/strike] Voodoo Blood Juice (4), [strike]Potion of Jump[/strike] High Hop Hooch (2), Throwing Axes (7), Javelins (10) in bigass Quiver, Regular (but still awesome) Troll Waraxe, Standard Adventurer's Kit Thing.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sweeeeet. Okay, I'm changing over to a Troll Shaman, now that I have access to the spells and such.

Plus it looks like you got de damage dealas covad, mon.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    me got axe

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    salt: another question

can i use the magic armor "rhino hide" from the SRD?

i will refer to it as kodo hide of course

same question for cloak of resistance

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Better to call it raptor hide; there are no kodo in the Eastern Kingdoms, where the Second War takes place.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    hey you are right

raptor would make more sense

i got my WC2 and WC3 mixed up

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Or it could be boar's hide; that would work, too.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    dammit i want a feat that lets me throw a waraxe without a disgusting penalty

throwing axes are just too small

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »

There is a feat in Complete Warrior called 'Throw Anything' that lets you throw anything.

Forest Trolls aren't quite as touchy-feely with raptors as Jungle Trolls, for what it's worth, but Raptor Hide works as a title overall and also the magic equipment your dude has works fine, too.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay right now it looks like we have a very trolly groop:

Orc Warlock - Arcanis
    Potential Ogre - Delroland
    Troll Shaman - El Skid
    Troll Warrior/Barbarian - Horseshoe
    Undecided Friend of Mine - Friend

I think we will cap off with five players.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »

There is a feat in Complete Warrior called 'Throw Anything' that lets you throw anything.

And Brutal Throw lets you use your strength modifier in place of dexterity for attack rolls with thrown weapons.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    btw shoe

there's a racial iconic for Troll Barbarians in the Horde Player's guide - replaces Rage with Throwstorm Rage, allowing you to employ your str bonus instead of Agy on thrown attacks. you also get the quick draw feat when raging, and also, the magic from your first thrown weapon carries over to any other subsequent throws

(so basically when you throw a +2 flaming waraxe, any waraxes you throw after are counted as +2 flaming waraxes)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I had not read the racial iconic class, that is probably a better option that D&D feats.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay, this is what I have so far:

Tur'duk, ogre of the Stonemaul Clan
    Str 25, Agi 10, Sta 16, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 4
    hp 26, AC 13 (+ armor), F 15, R 14, W 15

Should I apply my size penalty to Reflex Defense?

Also, for the 6 skill points listed above, did you include the quadrupled skill points for first level? I thought only animals got 1 skill point a level (which would equal 6 at 3HD).

There is no quadrupled skill points for ogres are first level. 6 total.

I'm not sure if size penalties apply to reflex saves.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Um. Everything gets quadrupled skill points at first level/HD. It's a basic core mechanic of the d20 system.

Size penalties don't apply to Reflex saves, no, but since we're using Reflex Defense instead, I wanted to ask to be sure.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Um. Everything gets quadrupled skill points at first level/HD. It's a basic core mechanic of the d20 system.

Size penalties don't apply to Reflex saves, no, but since we're using Reflex Defense instead, I wanted to ask to be sure.

I have the World of WarCraft Horde Player's Guide sitting in front of me. It says explicitly that a three-hit-dice ogre has six skill points. Are you going to argue with me about this?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I won't argue that the book says something else, but I think it's a typo or an oversight. Also, a 3HD giant-type with an INT of 8 would have 6 skill points.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Maybe, but it is consistent throughout the monster classes and is stated pretty explicitly in the explanation of how the creature classes work.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, let me point this out then: that if I play an ogre it will already be -2 on skill checks behind everyone else (due to having less hit dice). If monster classes don't get the quadruple skill points, that effectively puts the ogre character at -5 on skill checks, which I think seems a little off.

It would make more sense if you made a level 1 character with a class then added the creature levels (like with trolls and orcs, I assume), as you would get the quadruple skill points from the first level in the class, but that isn't the case with the ogre.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Do you feel that that is a little off when you consider how skilled an ogre should be

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Even oozes get quadruple skill points with their first hit die. How skilled should a grey ooze be?

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I will look into this matter for the for time being I am siding with the book.

edit: the slimes in the warcraft book only have twelve skill points with 20 hd. ponder that

edit: okay yeah, take the 8 skill points at level 1.

INeedNoSalt on