Options

[OOC] WoWarcraft d20: Tides of Darkness

• Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, how many heads will the character have?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    Oh, how many heads will the character have?

Your call. Two-headed ogres are rarer than one-headed ogres by a long margin, but that doesn't mean much. They just tend to argue with themselves more often.

There's no mechanical difference between an ogre with one head and an ogre with two heads. Ogres with two heads usually have apostrophed-names, like Cho'gall - Cho and Gall.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Alright, I'll go with two heads, but in keeping with the name, the second head will think he's a duck.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Do not turn my game into a farce.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Alright, if you want it to be gritty, I'm fine with that. WC2 ogres are pretty much the comedy relief of the game, though: "Huh? What?" "He did it! Nuh uh!" etc.

Edit: I wasn't thinking to derail the game or anything. The character would be completely serious, just with the odd quirk that the second head is always stuffing his face with grain and lets out an occasional, "Quack." I can nix it and just go with the one head, if you'd prefer.

delroland on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    salt is right, delro. It is not an oversight. Creature classes are not character classes.

from the mouth of the book itself:
    • Unlike other classes, creature classes do not grant additional Hit Dice and skill points at each level; only at the levels indicated.

Ogres get 2 skill points at 1, 3, 4, and 6. That way, when you've taken all the levels and are considered a 'baseline' ogre, your skills line up with what an unclassed ogre would have (8).

Another important passage:
    • Most characters gain a feat at 1st level, 3rd level, and every three levels thereafter. Similarly, most characters gain an ability increase at 4th level and every four levels thereafter. (See WoW RPG, Chapter 3: Classes, “Classes in Warcraft,” Gaining Levels.) Characters with creature classes are an exception. A character actually gains a feat when he gains his third Hit Die (not his third character level) and every three Hit Dice thereafter; similarly, he gains an ability increase when he gains his fourth Hit Die and every four Hit Dice thereafter.

Your creature class’s table indicates when you gain your feats and ability increases while taking levels in that creature class. After you achieve maximum level in your creature class, remember that you gain a feat when your total Hit Dice is a multiple of three and an ability increase when
    your Hit Dice are a multiple of four.

For example, an ogre with maximum levels in ogre is a 6th level character with 4 Hit Dice. If the ogre gained two levels of warrior, he is an 8th-level character, but he has 6 Hit Dice. He is eligible for his third feat. If he then gains two more levels of warrior, he is a 10th-level character with 8 Hit Dice — and at 8 Hit Dice, he gains his second ability increase.

the thing you have to realize is that yes, it's an OGL system based on d20, but it IS its own game with its own hefty core rulebook for a reason. lots of changes that sneak up on you if you assume we're playing vanilla 3.5.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Turduk, large monstrous humanoid, male ogre 5
    Speed 30 ft
    Init +0
    HD 3d8+9, 29 hp
    AC 20 (+6 armor, +4 natural, +1 deflection, -1 size), flat-footed 20, touch 10
    Fort 16, Ref 15, Will 16
    BAB/Grapple +3/+14
    Atk +10 melee (2d6+11, +1 spear), +3 ranged (2d6+8, +1 spear)
    SQ darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision
    Skills: Climb +10, Spot +7, Survival +9
    Feats: Power Attack, Racial Unity
    Languages: Common, Low Common, Orcish
    Abilities: Str 25, Agi 10, Sta 16, Int 12, Spi 12, Cha 4

Possessions: +1 breastplate, +1 spear, +1 ring of protection, +1 cloak of resistance, 2 potions of cure light wounds, backpack, 42 gp

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ogres get 2 skill points at 1, 3, 4, and 6. That way, when you've taken all the levels and are considered a 'baseline' ogre, your skills line up with what an unclassed ogre would have (8).
    Base unclassed ogres don't have 8 skill points; they have 7 (due to their Int penalty). I'm pretty sure this is what caused INNS to change his mind.

delroland on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So hey, I like Warcraft.

If someone has to drop out or something I could perhaps join in.

I would be an Orc Rogue. Who probably uses his fists more than daggers; I'd have to look at the classes again to figure out which would be best for that.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    El Skid's character currently under review- I am de docta.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Abilities Str 18, Agi 16, Sta 16, Int 16, Spi 14, Cha 6

Hey Horseshoe- How did you go about calculating those stats? Given troll racial mods (+2 agi, -2 cha -2 int) and troll racial class bonuses (+1stam, +1agi), and improving str with your +1 to any stat every 4 levels, I calculate that out as using 44/32 points

str 17 costs 13
    agi 13 costs 5
    stam 16 costs 8
    int 18 costs 16
    spt 14 costs 6
    cha 8 costs 0

edit- using the standard point buy system, that is

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Alright, if you want it to be gritty, I'm fine with that. WC2 ogres are pretty much the comedy relief of the game, though: "Huh? What?" "He did it! Nuh uh!" etc.

Edit: I wasn't thinking to derail the game or anything. The character would be completely serious, just with the odd quirk that the second head is always stuffing his face with grain and lets out an occasional, "Quack." I can nix it and just go with the one head, if you'd prefer.

Ogres are stupid, they're not lolinsane.

And yours isn't even stupid, with 12 int.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    El Skid wrote: »
    Abilities Str 18, Agi 16, Sta 16, Int 16, Spi 14, Cha 6

Hey Horseshoe- How did you go about calculating those stats? Given troll racial mods (+2 agi, -2 cha -2 int) and troll racial class bonuses (+1stam, +1agi), and improving str with your +1 to any stat every 4 levels, I calculate that out as using 44/32 points

str 17 costs 13
    agi 13 costs 5
    stam 16 costs 8
    int 18 costs 16
    spt 14 costs 6
    cha 8 costs 0

edit- using the standard point buy system, that is

typo

his int is 6

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Phew.

Okay, sorry. I havent done this in a long time, and was using your numbers to check mine.

You broke my poor widdle bwain :(

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay, character mostly done above. Salt, if you could go through and make sure I haven't missed anything?

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Ogres are stupid, they're not lolinsane.

And yours isn't even stupid, with 12 int.

Yeah, no sweat. I'm just going to go with the one head, as I don't really have the desire to run my character arguing with himself.

delroland on
  • Options
    DraculaDracula DARCUL DAS WAMPY Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just want to say that I'm pretty pumped to read through this once you guys start. I had a similar idea for a tabletop campaign a while back, but it never panned out.

Dracula on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gal'Farra

Why not go with a chain shirt instead? It's only 75g more and nets you an extra point of armor bonus. Also, unless you're going to receive a deflection bonus from one of your spells, I would suggest going with +1 armor and a +1 ring, as it nets you the same AC (and increases touch AC by 1) while costing 1000g less.

You also need to add 300g to the price of the weapon and 150g to the price of the armor for the masterwork quality.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gal'Farra

Why not go with a chain shirt instead? It's only 75g more and nets you an extra point of armor bonus. Also, unless you're going to receive a deflection bonus from one of your spells, I would suggest going with +1 armor and a +1 ring, as it nets you the same AC (and increases touch AC by 1) while costing 1000g less.

You also need to add 300g to the price of the weapon and 150g to the price of the armor for the masterwork quality.

Thanks Delroland.

Yeah, I didn't add the masterwork cost to the weapon, or enough to the armour. Fixed the armour.

As for the chain shirt... I was thinking of going a bit more shamanistic with this character and sticking with leather-type armours. Sure it's an extra point of AC I'm tossing away, but we do strange things for roleplay. Also, I rethought the bonus to the weapon, and it really isn't worth the cash anyway... so I went ahead and bought the ring as you suggested instead of having a magic weapon. It's all just a vehicle for flamebrand/frostongue anyway. :D

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    did you account for the increased cost of gear for a large-sized character, Delroland?

Also, none of you guys have chosen alignments for your dude. It's not a big deal overall, but it's also not DnD 4e; Alignment still matters in some cases.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Excited about watching you guys play this, if you've got a drop-out or a no-show I'm interested in playing.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Man, I am looking at the Hunter class, and they are really, intensely terrible compared to everything else in the book.

I mean, four times per day, you can deal 1 damage with a lasting 1 damage effect?

And they don't get their pet until level 5, and it's worse than a druid's by 10 HD at level 20.

Hrm.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    As for the chain shirt... I was thinking of going a bit more shamanistic with this character and sticking with leather-type armours. Sure it's an extra point of AC I'm tossing away, but we do strange things for roleplay. Also, I rethought the bonus to the weapon, and it really isn't worth the cash anyway... so I went ahead and bought the ring as you suggested instead of having a magic weapon. It's all just a vehicle for flamebrand/frostongue anyway. :D

Shamans wear mail at 40. :P

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    did you account for the increased cost of gear for a large-sized character, Delroland?

Yes.

Edit: except for the backpack, fixing that now.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also, every character begins play with 1 hero point.

Delroland, your automatic languages are Orcish and Low Common. (Normally Common and Low Common, but it makes a lot more sense that these ogres speak the Orcish language rather than the Human language.) Common, Goblin, and Zandali are your choices for bonus language.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    btw shoe

there's a racial iconic for Troll Barbarians in the Horde Player's guide - replaces Rage with Throwstorm Rage, allowing you to employ your str bonus instead of Agy on thrown attacks. you also get the quick draw feat when raging, and also, the magic from your first thrown weapon carries over to any other subsequent throws

(so basically when you throw a +2 flaming waraxe, any waraxes you throw after are counted as +2 flaming waraxes)

Basically this is what I want to do.

If anyone can give me the specifics on it then I'll go for the Throwstorm rage option and Kick TWF to the curb, because it kinda sucks anyway. Most likely I'll switch them out for "reckless attack" (or whateva that one feat is) and... hm... probably iron will since his will defense is crap at the moment.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Delroland, your automatic languages are Orcish and Low Common. (Normally Common and Low Common, but it makes a lot more sense that these ogres speak the Orcish language rather than the Human language.) Common, Goblin, and Zandali are your choices for bonus language.

I'll stick with Common so that I can taunt those wimpy Alliance knights as I stab them through the face.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I'll stick with Common so that I can taunt those wimpy Alliance knights as I stab them through the face.

Poor allies. D:

Okay, here is a little bit of pre-game RPing, because I mean, hey, I am a nerd, you guys are nerds, let's all be nerds.
    the players will be members or allies of the Blackrock Clan, serving as elite warriors who answer directly to Orgrim Doomhammer, Warchief of the Horde.

So each of the player characters is an elite sort of soldier, someone who stands out from the rest of the Horde and whom Orgrim Doomhammer himself trusts to get things done (even if those things happen to be destroying everything in a particular area.) What made your characters stand out to Doomhammer?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So each of the player characters is an elite sort of soldier, someone who stands out from the rest of the Horde and whom Orgrim Doomhammer himself trusts to get things done (even if those things happen to be destroying everything in a particular area.) What made your characters stand out to Doomhammer?

Amani Tribe strongest in'da Forest. Always be. Not scared humans, not scared elves. Other tribe, dey leave long-back. Amani stay. Zeb'watha be Troll ground. Den Zul'jin, he come. Bring da other back. So kill elves, kill all. Me be wit' Zul'jin. Troll da best. Amani da best Troll. We be win again. Da elf no can beat.

Den da Orc want Troll. Orc got human war. Dey know Troll best. Zul'jin, he say no. Da boss, Da Doom'ammer, he say why no. Zul'jin he say do Doom'ammer got Orc bad as Troll. Doom'ammer he say he got. Zul'jin say me show dem what be Troll. Me got da big axe, da big zerk, kill da Orc. Den two Orc. Den tree Orc. Zul'jin he say nuff be say. Me go back Zeb'watha wit' Zul'jin.

Now Zul'jin he say we wit' da Orc. Orc dey kill elf too. Doom'ammer see me. Doom'ammer say know me. Dat baddest Troll. He say if me have axe for da Orc. Got axe for you, me say Doom'ammer. Me say Doom'ammer kill da elf, den he da boss.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Doomhammer has approached me.

I must admit... I underestimated the Warchief. He surrounds himself with simpletons and dullards, but Orgrim Doomhammer himself is... clever. He, at least, knows what it means to seek power, and to obtain it. It is easy to see why Gul'dan fears him.

It is because unlike Orgrim Doomhammer, Gul'dan lacks vision. He believes demons are our equals. He is a fool, too caught up in his delusions of grandeur. He simply seeks to walk amongst the demons, when we should walk above them.

Doomhammer knows this, knows the depths of my master's treachery. "Gul'dan's time is limited, sorcerer," the Warchief told me. "You will serve the Horde and report on his dealings or you can die with him."

The choice was an easy one to make.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    mazikeenmazikeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OOC: Just using the OOC disclaimer in case this thread goes all IC replies. Okay so I'm Salt's friend (Hi!), some of you might remember me from way way back, I joined up for the sadly short-lived Life After game that Salt showed me. I like to think I've got a decent grip (...sometimes) on How Things Work by now, and I'll try to keep all my persistent question-asking to annoying Salt.

It's been a painstaking process coming up with a solid workable character (Salt's rant about Hunter's earlier was on behalf of my attempt to create one), but I'm towards the point of finalizing everything and should be finished by tomorrow sometime.

Can't wait to play with you folks!

mazikeen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Been talking to Salt, and I'm changing my character quite a bit. I am very excited about Troll Witch Doctor-hood! :D

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    nice to meet you, mazi. welcome aboard!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    salt do you want us to roll hp or do you want us to use a set hp value for a given die?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    salt do you want us to roll hp or do you want us to use a set hp value for a given die?

I think we will go with the 75% thing.

Max HP at first level, 75% for each level after that; if that's a fraction, then round up and down, alternating.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Taking a large bowl from the table, the witch doctor fills it with splashes from several vials taken from on his person or around his hut. Most of the substances smell...putrid, and are of strange colours and consistencies. Muttering what might be an incantation to himself, he mixes everything together, and then stops everything suddenly. Moving his head slowly over the bowl, he peers into the sludgy blackness of the bowl... and his eyes slowly widen.

A few days later, the witch doctor arrived at Orgrim's camp. The warchief was busy making preparations for a very important mission, and was annoyed when his guards failed to stop the old troll who had just stumped his way into the room, pouches. skulls and all manner of things swayed from the sides of his pack. Wait...old troll? It was hard to tell the troll's age- he gave off the appearance of being wizened and bent, but on a closer inspection....it was hard to be sure.

The troll stopped in front of the Warchief and grunted. "You be sendin' out a group on an im-portant quest, and de sprits, dey be tellin' me dat if I not go wit' 'dem, it mean 'orrible tings for de people and de orcs round 'ere. So de juju-man, he go wit' dem, and he make sure dey do what dey gotta do. Juju-man, he be waitin' outside for de spirits to tell 'im it time to go- make sure de odas be ready when de time come."

And with that the troll stumped out of the room, leaving the bemused warchief wondering what had just happened.

El Skid on
  • Options
    mazikeenmazikeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I think we will go with the 75% thing.

Max HP at first level, 75% for each level after that; if that's a fraction, then round up and down, alternating.

Last night I had this whole other part in my post about when I rolled on Invisible Castle (because I remembered using that way back for some other stuff). I pretty much peed my pants when I rolled my 4 warrior levels. (And then laughed harder when I got a 1 from my 1d6 Rogue level.)

Then I deleted it because I realized I hadn't asked if Salt had other plans...

But ah, it was good while it lasted. xD

mazikeen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm still pondering what to write up for my character's introduction.

Beyond that, I am changing feats: ditching Improved Bull Rush for Racial Unity.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay, I sent a big post to El Skid. I am going to air all of my house rules out in open daylight so that nobody thinks I am being underhanded.

Because I don't like penalizing item crafters, El Skid's Witch Doctor, which is a class based on Brew Potion and Craft Alchemy, is going to be using Reserve Points (from Eberron's Artificer class.) After he uses the reserve points up for a level, though, then it's back to XP.

Mazikeen's character has a toned down version of the Leadership feat, which doesn't ever include followers, but does include a cohort which can only be an animal and will never have class levels. Essentially, she will have a creature tamed with Handle Animal, but it will be exceptionally loyal.

We're going to try the rules in the OP (no /day powers, only /encounter, and no iterative attacks) ... because they might have potential. However, I am open to input on any of these changes, and if anything seems way out of whack, we'll cancel the changes and use the standard rules or find an alternative.

Edit:
    I'm still pondering what to write up for my character's introduction.

Beyond that, I am changing feats: ditching Improved Bull Rush for Racial Unity.

Now, here's a thought: Do demons or animals count towards this feat?

Furthermore, I think maybe ponder on that feat, because the Horde don't exactly get along. There's a reason the trolls and ogres split as soon as things start going south.

INeedNoSalt on