Options

[OOC] WoWarcraft d20: Tides of Darkness

• Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Damn, am i to late to get in on this?

Was thinking a Gobo Tinkerer, i'v played the Tinkerer class before and i love it.

If i am to late, thats totally cool.

Hippie on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hippie wrote: »

Was thinking a Gobo Tinkerer, i'v played the Tinkerer class before and i love it.

As much as I wish we had had a tinkerer, I'm not really willing to take on more than five players. Sorry, hombre.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hippie wrote: »

As much as I wish we had had a tinkerer, I'm not really willing to take on more than five players. Sorry, hombre.

No problem, maybe next time.

Hippie on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zul'Farra
    Troll Healer (Witch Doctor)
    Medium Humanoid
    Witch Doctor 5
    Init +3; Senses Spot +4, Listen +7, Low Light Vision
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    Languages Troll, Low Common
    AC 19, touch 14, flat-footed 16
    hp 42; Defenses Fort 17 , Ref 15, Will 19
    Speed walk 30 ft.
    Melee +2 Club(Walking Stick) 1d6-1, x2
    Thrown +6 Sling, 1d4-1, x2
    Abilities Str 8, Agi 16, Sta 14, Int 10, Spi 19, Cha 8
    Feats Brew Potion, Journeyman Alchemist, Light Armour Proficiency, Alchemical Specialty (Philters), Expert Alchemist, Maximize spell
    Special Abilities: Turn undead, Spontaneously cast Healing spells, Lesser Power- Greater Healing(+1 caster level for healing spells), inspiriation: Witch Doctor's brews (J. Alchemy feat free), Juju potion
    Skills : Concentration +10, Craft(Alchemy)+10, Listen +7, Heal +6, Profession(Herbalism) +5, Spot +4
    Possessions Studded Leather Armour +2(4,175g), Ring of Protection +1 (2,000g), Alchemy Kit, pouch of material components, Standard Adventurer's Kit(15g)
    Potions Carried:: 2xMaximize juju potion (800g, +40xp), 3xMinor Rejuvination Draught (90g), 2xweak troll's blood philter (37.5g), Philter of Lion's strength w/basic mojo(168.75g), 2xlesser healing draught(160g), 1xPotion of Bloodlust (375g@50%+30xp), 5xPotion of Inner fire, Lesser(250g@50%+10 xp)
    Spells:
    see Character sheet on Myth weavers

Remaining gold now: 978.75

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I would like to comment that your character is neutral good, but is a member of a race of cannibal barbarians and is working to raze and overthrow the good people of Azeroth in the name of his demon-blooded masters.

I mean, I'm sure there are some good people in the Horde, and I will let you run with it if you think you can handle it, but I want to be sure you are clear that during the second war, the Horde are the unequivocal bad guys.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I would like to comment that your character is neutral good, but is a member of a race of cannibal barbarians and is working to raze and overthrow the good people of Azeroth in the name of his demon-blooded masters.

I mean, I'm sure there are some good people in the Horde, and I will let you run with it if you think you can handle it, but I want to be sure you are clear that during the second war, the Horde are the unequivocal bad guys.

Ugh. Alignment issues. I was going from the point of view of the horde being convinced that what they did was right and proper- Trolls were always cannibals, although this particular group of trolls had been somewhat civilized by the horde. The horde are attacking the humans to take over their land...which isn't in itself an evil act (I don't think). The horde in general are guided by the spirits of their ancestors instead of an evil god...

I guess it doesn't matter too too much. My character is devoted to the survival of his people, and feels honour-bound to help the horde out as long as it doesn't get in the way of the whole survival thing. I don't think I'm planning on having him rape or torture people, and the whole eating people thing is just the way his society works- he has also devoted his life to healing and supporting his troll breatheren.

So...given the above, what do you guys think is the best alignment for this character?

edit- rereading, maybe lawful neutral?

El Skid on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hey

to be fair our cannibalistic barbarous race doesn't have a problem with humans or dwarves in particular

but they decided to throw in with those fucking elves

kill and eat them all

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    el skid

i'd go with true neutral

and just opt to spontaneously heal rather than inflict

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Actually, yeah. Given the honour-boundness and his commitment to troll culture, I'm gonna go with lawful neutral. With the healing choice, of course.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    El Skid wrote: »

Ugh. Alignment issues. I was going from the point of view of the horde being convinced that what they did was right and proper- Trolls were always cannibals, although this particular group of trolls had been somewhat civilized by the horde. The horde are attacking the humans to take over their land...which isn't in itself an evil act (I don't think). The horde in general are guided by the spirits of their ancestors instead of an evil god...

I think it is important to keep in mind that these aren't the Darkspear trolls; they're not really any more civilized now than they were before the Horde showed up, and they're only working with the Horde because the Horde is killing elves, pretty much. Also, at this time period, the Horde really isn't guided by ancestral spirits. There is only one Shaman in the Horde, and they call him the Whacked.

Everyone would be Good if the Good/Evil axis was just a measure of how much the character thinks he is right.

Edit: I am not trying to pick a fight though. If I were I would be picking a fight with Horseshoe who doesn't even have an alignment !

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also, at this time period, the Horde really isn't guided by ancestral spirits. There is only one Shaman in the Horde, and they call him the Whacked.

Whoops, I'm thinking of entirely the wrong time period, it seems.
    Everyone would be Good if the Good/Evil axis was just a measure of how much the character thinks he is right.

This is why I hate alignment issues with a burning passion. The orc vs human war (from the canon I have read) ended up being stupid and pointless with neither side being 'good' or 'evil', except when following demons (who are always evil, no question).

I guess, though, that if we're this early on the horde is basically just trying to slaughter people at take their stuff for fun, so yeah...with that in mind they're probably mostly evil.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Bokk is a typical Troll. He's chaotic evil.

He is a raging bloodthirsty maniac.

zul'jin managed to convince Bokk the other trolls that they would have a better chance of killing the elves if the tribes were united and joined the horde.

otherwise he'd still be mostly interested in killing and eating elves... as well as the members of other troll tribes that might be contesting the Amani territory.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ugh.

So it's gonna be one of "those" kinds of games, where most of the party are homicidal maniacs and could turn on each other at any time?

Not that I won't play in these kinds of games, but it's nice to know beforehand that's what'll be happening.

Shoe- you sure your character isn't more in the neutral evil variety- where you still care about following orders and about your tribe, as opposed to chaotic where you don't give a shit about any of that?

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    no you're not getting it skid

chaotic evil doesn't mean homocidal maniac who will turn on anybody

the alignment happens to describe Bokk very well

he's still got a tribe to which he is loyal, a leader to which he is loyal, and if he's working toward a goal he isn't going to turn on the party because he happens to feel like it

but his intentions are far from having anything to do with doing good for anyone else or the rule of law

he's a Troll.

kill your enemy, destroy him utterly, eat whatever remains.

chaotic evil is the only alignment that describes a character for whom that is standard operating procedure.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    See, I was thinking that a lawful troll would be loyal to his tribe and respectful of his elders and other chains of command...and that was basically it, because trolls don't really have much else in the way of laws...so a lawful troll would do exactly that.

Did I mention I hate this system of alignment determination?

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, you can hate it all you want.

I find it really does work best when you don't try to make it a relative system, and just stick with absolutes.
    This is why I hate alignment issues with a burning passion. The orc vs human war (from the canon I have read) ended up being stupid and pointless with neither side being 'good' or 'evil', except when following demons (who are always evil, no question).

The entirety of the first and second war were waged with the Orcs under demonic influence. It's not really until WarCraft 3, with Thrall escaping his internment camp and reuniting the orcs, that they are able to begin leading themselves again.

It's hard to be clear on a lot of WarCraft lore. It's usually poorly organized and self-contradictory. However, it basically goes like this: On Draenor, a demon convinces Ner'zhul that the Draenei are plotting against the orcs, and offers them a (demonic) source of power to remove them. The orcs agree, and more or less slaughter almost all of the Draenei. The spirits and elements abandon the orcs because the orcs are being ridiculous. The orcs, after killing most other natives of the Horde, fall back to infighting. Ner'zhul steps down and Gul'dan takes his place. Gul'dan communes with demons, and this leads to the Dark Portal being opened as a venue to vent Orcish aggression on an entirely foreign world.

It's not until Orgrim Doomhammer comes into play that the Shadow Council, a syndicate of Orcish Warlocks, loses their shadow control over the Horde -- up until that point, all of the clan leaders and the Warchief, Blackhand, had all been under the thumbs of warlocks.

Doomhammer is less trustful of Warlocks, but his Horde is still not the good and respectful thing that it will eventually become under Thrall. Hell, Doomhammer decided it was a good idea to keep Gul'dan around because Gul'dan promised he could amass an army of undead for the Horde.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    Beyond that, I am changing feats: ditching Improved Bull Rush for Racial Unity.

Now, here's a thought: Do demons or animals count towards this feat?

Furthermore, I think maybe ponder on that feat, because the Horde don't exactly get along. There's a reason the trolls and ogres split as soon as things start going south.

I would assume it only applies to humanoids, or at the very least sentient beings.

And just because most ogres and trolls aren't very loyal to the Horde doesn't mean MY ogre can't be loyal to the Horde. Heck, most ogres are dumber than a sack of rocks, so Turduk is already an exception.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Beyond that, I am changing feats: ditching Improved Bull Rush for Racial Unity.

Now, here's a thought: Do demons or animals count towards this feat?

Furthermore, I think maybe ponder on that feat, because the Horde don't exactly get along. There's a reason the trolls and ogres split as soon as things start going south.

I would assume it only applies to humanoids, or at the very least sentient beings.

And just because most ogres and trolls aren't very loyal to the Horde doesn't mean MY ogre can't be loyal to the Horde.

True enough, true enough.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    http://www.wowwiki.com/History_of_the_Horde

This is a good look at what the Horde was all about in this era.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    For the purposes of the feat, I would suggest it only apply to member races of the Horde: orcs, trolls, goblins, and ogres, and MAYBE the humans of Alterac.

Edit: oh, and death knights, because I'm not really sure what they count as. :lol:

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Woo. Thanks Salt. Good readin' there.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Woo. Thanks Salt. Good readin' there.

Also, you mentioned "that kind of game" where people turn on each other and do horrible things, etc.

The Horde is really violent, but it's also very structured. The Orcs are pretty into war and violence, but they're also into winning -- and having a structured, efficient war machine is pretty relevant. Acting out of turn or behaving traitorously wouldn't sit well with these guys, so if any of you dudes did decide to do the backstabbing thing, you might not last long. :p

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    See, I was thinking that a lawful troll would be loyal to his tribe and respectful of his elders and other chains of command...and that was basically it, because trolls don't really have much else in the way of laws...so a lawful troll would do exactly that.

Did I mention I hate this system of alignment determination?

your dude might be from the Revantusk Tribe of forest trolls. they tend to be a bit more organized and negotiative out of necessity, since their tribe is rather small.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Forest_troll

This link has a list of all of the Forest Troll tribes.

Wowwiki also has information on all of the Orcish clans as well as Ogre clans.

Notably, some Orc clans were lead by ogres. :p

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm thinking Turduk's alignment will be neutral: he doesn't blindly follow orders, nor does he ditch others for a chance at personal glory. Also, he doesn't get his jollies at murdering the Alliance; he fights them solely because they are the enemy.

delroland on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    lore stuff

This is mostly correct, save for the section regarding Ner'zhul; http://www.wowwiki.com/Ner%27zhul provides a good synopsis of the orc pre-lich king.

He didn't step down so much as he was removed.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm thinking Turduk's alignment will be neutral: he doesn't blindly follow orders, nor does he ditch others for a chance at personal glory. Also, he doesn't get his jollies at murdering the Alliance; he fights them solely because they are the enemy.

delro

the alliance is the enemy because we're attacking them

they are the enemy because they are defending themselves from orc berserkers hopped up on demon blood

i don't see what the issue is here. evil people work together too. it's the whole us vs. them mentality. I mean like Shoe says, his troll is straight up CE, but I doubt the troll is the type to just decide to put an axe in his allies because he gets off on it. he's not chaotic stupid.

I mean I plan on playing straight up Lawful Evil here.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, but wouldn't it be easier if they just laid down arms and surrendered? :twisted:

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm going with the Spirestone Clan for my character.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The uh, the Spirestone clan is a clan made up of remnants after the fall of the Old Horde.

The Old Horde hasn't fallen yet, the Horde isn't chilling out in Blackrock Spire quite yet.

Edit: Well the Horde are in BRS, but it's not the Dark Horde in BRS yet.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    From the article it sounded as though the Spirestone clan existed during the Old Horde as well, as they had a Highlord who decided to join the Dark Horde.

Beyond that, the only two clans I could find were the Crushridge and the Stonemaul; everything else seemed to be post-Second War.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    From the article it sounded as though the Spirestone clan existed during the Old Horde as well, as they had a Highlord who decided to join the Dark Horde.

Beyond that, the only two clans I could find were the Crushridge and the Stonemaul; everything else seemed to be post-Second War.

There are also lots of clans native to Draenor who probably had representatives in the Horde.

You might be right, though, so I won't press the issue.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I just thought it would make for a good character hook, that Orgrim would be interested in finding allies in the Spirestone clan after his betrayal of Blackhand.

delroland on
  • Options
    mazikeenmazikeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So each of the player characters is an elite sort of soldier, someone who stands out from the rest of the Horde and whom Orgrim Doomhammer himself trusts to get things done (even if those things happen to be destroying everything in a particular area.) What made your characters stand out to Doomhammer?

“Ey! You!” A middle-aged soldier leaned on the countertop of the tavern’s bar. His armor was heavy, creaked with movement, and the weapons at his sides were sturdy and strong. Underneath the shade of the awning over the tavern the air was cooler than in the hot sunlight, which was refreshing. It wasn’t yet as crowded as it would be. The older, wizened orc behind the counter set the soldier up with a mug of darkly colored drink. “You know anything ‘bout that woman over there?” The soldier pointed roughly at a figure reclining in a more secluded area of the tavern.

The female orc was leaning back in her chair so that only two legs of it touched the ground. Her feet where propped on the table in front of her, crossed at the ankle. Her head was slumped forward, chin to chest, and her arms where crossed. She was dozing, from the looks of it, balanced precariously or not.

The tavern owner made a gruff noise in the back of his throat. “I know that those that go around asking that normally end up worse off for it.”

“Don’t patronize me,” the soldier growled, leaning in a little menacingly. The barkeep, an old war veteran himself (he wore a bandana slung across one eye, which served as an eye-patch but didn’t quite hide the long scars down the right side of his face), was uninspired by the display. “She’s barely even a runt, the look’ve her!” He snorted. “So tell me how the weakest of some sow’s brood gets assigned missions and honors that should’ve been mine.”

The barkeep grimaced, as if he’d heard it before and had no wish to be involved in something like this again. “How does something so frail get ‘round to being one’ve Doomhammers favorites, some kind of chosen.” Aggravated, the soldier took a long drag of his drink, gulping as some of it trickled down his chin. “Less she’s got talents that ain’t readily apparent,” he sneered.

“The way it’s told,” the barkeep started, regarding the guzzling orc in front of him. “Is that she was responsible for the gathering the heads of a couple humans—high military rank. One case she even brought back the mangled bodies of a human war-leader’s children, the family he’d been travelling with. Sometimes you can hear talk that she took the symbol of Stormwind itself and turned it into a weapon ‘gainst its people.”

“What’s that even mean?” The soldier asked haughtily, in no mood for riddles. Just then he felt something brush past him. It was the lightest touch, and he heard no footsteps. He turned to look at it, figuring to kick away a stray, when he nearly dropped his mug in surprise.

An adult lion, full-maned and heavily muscled, padded silently towards the sleeping orc. Its tail had brushed him, and he watched as the enormous creature carefully picked its way around stools and tables. Paws as big as shields made no sound, and when the beast reached the female orc it lay itself down, amber eyes closing (though its ears continued to twitch and twist to new sounds).

Wide-eyed, the soldier turned back to the barkeep, scorn temporarily forgotten. Seeing that he at least had the soldiers attention now, the barkeep went on. “As for being a runt, maybe it’s the way it is with worgs, you ken? Maybe most of the time the little thing dies, ‘cause it’s not strong ‘nuff, ‘cause it can’t keep up with the pack.” Even the barkeep looked up now, at the still resting form of the woman, and the regal creature curled around her. The emblem painted onto the enemy’s crests for its nobility, re-appropriated as a weapon for its savage brutality.

“Maybe sometimes the runt lives though, and in that case you’ve got a creature what had to be twice as mean to survive.”

mazikeen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mazikeenmazikeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, character sheet after much delay.

mazikeen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Bokk want more character sheets.

You not like Bokk when he angry.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Pretty much.

We're waiting on a sheet from Arcanis, and I think Delroland's bit is done, although it looks more like an abridged statblock than a proper character sheet.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Arcanis- If you're going to take a metamagic feat, be aware I can brew you a potion that lets you drink it and then cast your spell with that feat applied at the same spell level. I've taken maximize myself, but if you were to take a different feat I would be able to brew the potion for that feat with your help.

Just something to think about...

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    On that note, I'm going to be aiming to get the IC thread up by Thursday, because it might have to wait much longer if I don't do it by then.

Ideally, we'll have everything set to go by then, but if we don't, that is still projected game-start, and we'll have to edit any latecoming character in after that point.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    i'll have everything ready by tomorrow then, and that's a promise. not much longer to go anyways.

Super Namicchi on