As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Media Bias

• Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »
    I remember during the Anna Nicole Smith coverage a lot of people were complaining how much the media was focusing on it, but the response was "lol free market, they're just giving the people what they want," then a survey revealed most people were sick of it. The media gives what keeps it alive, but they aren't exactly maximizing their viewership.

Thing is she didn't occupy most of the media. She appeared in several-second blurbs on most news-programs on a daily basis. But so did a couple dozen other things.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    that's bullshit. She was all over the news, for hours at a time. The amount of time they spent debating who the father of her kid was... it was staggering.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Has anyone talked about Fox News getting talking points directly from the White House yet?

uberneko on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppVxHYl0fNc
    The Daily Show writers have it eeeeaaasy.... :lol:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only appropriate response to 0:42 is a loop of '-pals around with terrorists.'

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Proticipate?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    The only appropriate response to 0:42 is a loop of '-pals around with terrorists.'

Amazing. That is exactly what was going through my head when watching that segment.

The only thing that destroyed Palin was her own ignorance and hubris. Fucking moron is still looking to blame anybody but herself for her failure of a campaign. At least McCain had the dignity to fade into the background.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Reminds me of a joke a rabbi once told me.

Two Jewish guys are sitting on a park bench reading newspapers. The first guy looks up and notices his buddy is reading a Neo-Nazi newspaper. He asks him "How can you read that trash?". The man replies "When I read the regular news paper all I hear is about how the economy is crashing, people are being beaten and murdered, and that the outlook is bleak. I find it depressing. When I read this news paper I hear about how our people control the banks, run the media, and are taking over the world."

Is the media biased? Yes. People do not want to hear viewpoints that conflict with their own, so various networks tend to downplay or up play various stories depending on who their audience is. The problem comes in with a large amount of people being unwilling, or unable to recognize their personal bias and believe the news only reports "facts".

Detharin on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Good find. Sadly bias is overlooked is still alive and well at MSNBC. Their motto should be: We're not biased if we're doing it!

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, the woman that claimed Obama was palling around with terrorists is upset about what people said?

Seriously?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Emanon wrote: »

Good find. Sadly bias is overlooked is still alive and well at MSNBC. Their motto should be: We're not biased if we're doing it!

you're kind of stupid, aren't you?

Palin complaining about what got reported in the media would be the hight of ironic, if she wasn't completely serious.

edit: spoilered image so I don't have to look at those dead, dead eyes.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    Wait, the woman that claimed Obama was palling around with terrorists is upset about what people said?

Seriously?

Michelle Bachmann?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Seriously? You ignore everything else said in this thread (that you created) in favor of this?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    9 fucking days away from a new president, and suddenly: PALIN! Who, who was the douche nozzle who decided that it would be a good idea to have this bitch on the ticket.

The media is the media. Ratings are everything, if it bleeds it leads and such.

As a consequence of that, I prefer to get my news from smelling my finger after sticking it in my ass and deciphering the smells. It's fair, balanced, and has more journalistic integrity than just about any media outlet on the planet.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Damn. This video just reminded me of why I quit watching regular TV news (other than occasionally shows like 60 minutes, which have the decency to talk about something at a moderate length). I got so sick of hearing the talking heads yelling over each other. I can't imagine a less productive way to report on events than this. Also, the big-ass image of sarah palin on the video is terrifying, much like something out of Lovecraft.

What's the name of the disorder where you refuse to admit that anything is your fault? Is it narcissistic or sociopathic personality disorder? Because it's looking like Palin has it. I knew she had a massive ego during the election when she started trying to subsume the McCain campaign and use it as a platform for furthering her own ambitions. It really blew my mind at the time - did she not realise that she's a nobody from nowhere McCain was using strictly as a way to rally the base?

I remember in the Newsweek article they talked about how, after refusing to prep for the Couric interview, she actually reduced one of her aides to tears for failing to prep her for it. Now she's blaming her part in sinking the Republican ticket on other people (librul media). It takes a lot to be one of the most selfish, egocentric politicians in the US, but it looks like she's well on her way.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

you're kind of stupid, aren't you?
    Based on Emanon's participation in this thread, there's no 'kind of' about it.

Does media have a bias? Yes.

Is 'the media' any more biased against Palin than anyone else? If you think that, it's time to pull your head out of your ass.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is 'the media' any more biased against Palin than anyone else? If you think that, it's time to pull your head out of your ass.

But how will you be able to tell which from which!?

Ein on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Emanon, I'm curious to hear your opinion on Joe the War Correspondent.

moniker on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I think if you're at the point of blaming the makers of a documentary that's dedicated to making you look good for pulling quotes out of context to make you sound stupid then it's time to realize that it's just your quotes themselves making you sound stupid.
    I remember during the Anna Nicole Smith coverage a lot of people were complaining how much the media was focusing on it, but the response was "lol free market, they're just giving the people what they want," then a survey revealed most people were sick of it. The media gives what keeps it alive, but they aren't exactly maximizing their viewership.

Thing is she didn't occupy most of the media. She appeared in several-second blurbs on most news-programs on a daily basis. But so did a couple dozen other things.

http://www.journalism.org/node/4096

BuildChartP2.php?vid=819&type=main

The week she died, she got 9% of the "Newshole" [whatever that means] coverage, and she died with only two days left in the week.

Edit: Even better. http://www.journalism.org/node/5719

Coverage of Anna Nicole Smith accounts for 7% of all coverage on CNN, Fox, and MSNBC for the period Dec. 31, '06 - Mar. 31, '07, and she wasn't even dead in January.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Emanon, I'm curious to hear your opinion on Joe the War Correspondent.

I'm curious to hear Emanon's opinion on anything, since he/she's decided to virtually ignore this thread.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I think if you're at the point of blaming the makers of a documentary that's dedicated to making you look good for pulling quotes out of context to make you sound stupid then it's time to realize that it's just your quotes themselves making you sound stupid.

The week she died, she got 9% of the "Newshole" [whatever that means] coverage, and she died with only two days left in the week.
    The news hole is the amount of content a news provider needs to create in every publishing cycle.

For example, a news broadcast on radio or TV has a certain amount of air time it needs to fill. Likewise, a newspaper, magazine, newsletter, or website, has a news hole of a certain number of printed pages, dependent in part on how many advertisements are sold to advertisers.

So you've established that for two days she got a lot of coverage for dying. At that point in time the only news-related program I was watching was the Daily Show, so I dodged all of it neatly. What happened the next week? And what did ratings look like for the coverage of dead creepy lady? Were people "sick of it" or actually sick of it?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

The news hole is the amount of content a news provider needs to create in every publishing cycle.

For example, a news broadcast on radio or TV has a certain amount of air time it needs to fill. Likewise, a newspaper, magazine, newsletter, or website, has a news hole of a certain number of printed pages, dependent in part on how many advertisements are sold to advertisers.

So you've established that for two days she got a lot of coverage for dying. At that point in time the only news-related program I was watching was the Daily Show, so I dodged all of it neatly. What happened the next week? And what did ratings look like for the coverage of dead creepy lady? Were people "sick of it" or actually sick of it?

I included a larger timeline in my edit. For ratings, it appears the Situation Room did have a spike the day she died, but I'm having a bitch of a time finding what the ratings were in the ensuing period. http://pewresearch.org/pubs/419/anna-nicole-audience-praises-press-coverage

For the survey, we have this: http://people-press.org/report/305/too-much-anna-nicole-but-the-saga-attracts-an-audience

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Indeed; I was well aware of this line of thinking even before posting that video. I'm not American.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    'Conservatives' are right, we need more unbiased reporting like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDlst03I3lk

moniker on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    "I remember back during WWI, WWII, everybody'd be at a movie, they'd see the troops come on in a news reel, they were all cheering.

Nowadays, everyone has an opinion."

Thank you, Joe.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like how some folks are spotting that the first report filed from a person hired to be a reporter in a war zone is that reporters shouldn't be filing reports about war zones.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Opinions disgrace the party and weaken the social construct.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    "Joe the Reporter: Hypocrite or Idiot?

We Report, You Decide"

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    'Conservatives' are right, we need more unbiased reporting like this.
    Seriously.

Fuck all that "informed public" shit. We should sit in theatres, watch propoganda and cheer when the government tells us to.

This guy's just the gift that keeps on giving, huh?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    He's gonna run for senate in Ohio. Which leads me to the conclusion that Ohio always gets exactly what it deserves.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't want to hear the redneck talk, did he actually claim to remember either of the world wars?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't want to hear the redneck talk, did he actually claim to remember either of the world wars?

He didn't claim it as a personal memory, but it was still a "Back in the good ol' days..." statement.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Palin/Joe '12!

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I thought we all agreed to stop the "[Name] the [Profession]" bullshit.

Bama on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Transcript (taken from DailyKos, for what it's worth):
    "I'll be honest with you. I don't think journalists should be anywhere allowed war. I mean, you guys report where our troops are at. You report what's happening day to day. You make a big deal out of it. I-I think it's asinine. You know, I liked back in World War I and World War II when you'd go to the theater and you'd see your troops on, you know, the screen and everyone would be real excited and happy for'em. Now everyone's got an opinion and wants to downer--and down soldiers. You know, American soldiers or Israeli soldiers. I think media should be abolished from, uh, you know, reporting. You know, war is hell. And if you're gonna sit there and say, 'Well look at this atrocity,' well you don't know the whole story behind it half the time, so I think the media should have no business in it."
    Moneyshot wrote:
    I think media should be abolished from, uh, you know, reporting.
    I'm sure you've got a lot of ideological brethren who'd agree, Joey boy.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

We Report, You Decide"

Looking at the wikipedia entry on newsreels, I doubt that anybody saw WWI newsreels even on the rare occasion that there was good news.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

We Report, You Decide"

Looking at the wikipedia entry on newsreels, I doubt that anybody saw WWI newsreels even on the rare occasion that there was good news.

There were theaters for the express purpose of showing them.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

We Report, You Decide"

That's probably just picking nits. I think we can establish that he doesn't know what he's talking about for other reasons, so his embellishment is hardly the worst thing about his statement.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    John Ziegler is such a smug bastard.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    MKR wrote: »

We Report, You Decide"

There were theaters for the express purpose of showing them.

In Britain. The earliest mention of anything in America was the 1920's, and you have to give them time to catch on.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]