As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AC Challenge Thread: Retro Poster Style

124»

• Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i was really stoked for this project when it started, and then terribly disappointed as the entries came in. There are definitely some good pieces there (Vann Diras, Grenn, looking at you), but it seemed like most people dropped the ball of the type of poster being asked for. Very few look have the intentional camp, the over-the-top-ness, the badassitude to fit the bill.

Bacon's is probably the most successful, but the subject matter kind of kills it for me. Ultimately I chose Shiboe as I think he had a good concept even though the execution fell a little short.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Mr Sgt SirMr Sgt Sir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh fuck I forgot to put Mr Sgt Sir in the poll. D:

Well he's in now, but fuck. I'm sorry, man. D:D:D:

:lol:

Sympathy vote, sweeeeet.

Mr Sgt Sir on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Buckwolfe wrote: »
    NibCrom - AoB's name is Terry...??

He said a quote from UHF and I was completing the quote. :P

NibCrom on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There are definitely some good pieces there (Vann Diras, Grenn, looking at you), but it seemed like most people dropped the ball of the type of poster being asked for. Very few look have the intentional camp, the over-the-top-ness, the badassitude to fit the bill.

I would be the first person to hold my hand up and say that mine doesn't quite fit the brief -- but in my defense, mine is actual commissioned and printed work which I submitted because it vaguely ticked a few boxes... and because at times I am frankly a bit lazy.

I am a big fan of old movie posters and retro ephimera but, alas, there are never enough hours in the day.

Grenn on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i was really stoked for this project when it started, and then terribly disappointed as the entries came in. There are definitely some good pieces there (Vann Diras, Grenn, looking at you), but it seemed like most people dropped the ball of the type of poster being asked for. Very few look have the intentional camp, the over-the-top-ness, the badassitude to fit the bill.

Bacon's is probably the most successful, but the subject matter kind of kills it for me. Ultimately I chose Shiboe as I think he had a good concept even though the execution fell a little short.

Ya I know what you mean. I wish I had the time to learn how to be less suck in these things, it's a sad affair to feel like you are constantly killing good ideas with bad skills. Getting through this semester of my comp sci degree has precedence however.

Someday I will suck less, and it will be grand. ;D

Shiboe on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Grenn wrote: »
    There are definitely some good pieces there (Vann Diras, Grenn, looking at you), but it seemed like most people dropped the ball of the type of poster being asked for. Very few look have the intentional camp, the over-the-top-ness, the badassitude to fit the bill.

I would be the first person to hold my hand up and say that mine doesn't quite fit the brief -- but in my defense, mine is actual commissioned and printed work which I submitted because it vaguely ticked a few boxes... and because at times I am frankly a bit lazy.

I am a big fan of old movie posters and retro ephimera but, alas, there are never enough hours in the day.

yeah, I wouldn't really call my entry retro, really. But it looks old, and City Lights is an old movie? I guess?

I dunno, either way that comment and the three votes have got me all blushin'. gettin' me all in the mood to create some more stuff

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    And Veritas wins by a nose!

bombardier on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    thats a really big nose

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    Anubis09Anubis09 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    CRAP! i do these for work all the time. wish i would have seen this sooner.

Anubis09 on
    "We never discuss the positive or negative cultural aspects the distinctive type of music has on todays youth or the sexual intricacies of deep bass rythms as accompanies by strong guitar accords" - N_O
    WetbackMcMoneyfingers. Or a Mexi-Jew. - awesome!
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Where've you been the past two and a half months?

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah Anubis... You had plenty of time.

gratz Veri!

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    exitexit Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ps sorry i broke time D:

exit on
  • Options
    Anubis09Anubis09 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    lol i have been living life and being on forums less. now i am coming back around.

Anubis09 on
    "We never discuss the positive or negative cultural aspects the distinctive type of music has on todays youth or the sexual intricacies of deep bass rythms as accompanies by strong guitar accords" - N_O
    WetbackMcMoneyfingers. Or a Mexi-Jew. - awesome!
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wooo grats veritas.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    holy crap everyone is lucky that Olly didn't enter this one.

edit: Nevvvvvermind. Thanks for clearing that up for me, Tam. Whoops!

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, no shit, duder, he posted all of them in his thread here already.

and the rule is "only post your own work"

Tam on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow holy shit guys thanks!

I wasn't expecting that at all.

I'll get a new challenge up soon.

Veritas on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    If you need an idea I have an awesome idea. Seriously it is awesome I thought of it this morning.

bombardier on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    oh really? I put one up just now but if it blows mine away then I'm open to changing it for a nominal fee.

Veritas on