Options

My cat just died.

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am troubled by all the cat hate around where I live.

I swear nearly EVERY person you talk to doesn't 'like' cats, they 'hate' cats. Like, everyone I know. 'I hate cats!'

I want a cat someday :(

i wasn't much of a cat person and used to say i wouldn't have one unless it was some feral thing that showed up in the barn one day, kinda like my old cat Bud

but i found that little black abandoned kitten hungry and weary in the bushes outside my work

and then my heart grew three sizes bigger

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Quoth wrote: »
    cats are really awesome

i have four and they all sleep on me every night

quoth is a crazy cat lady!
    i used to have ferrets
    they slept in my pillow cases near my face at night

oh man
    now i miss them again.

beavotron on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You can get special non-allergy, albeit expensive, cats can't you? Or am I making that up?

I think they are expensive, but yeah there are hypoallergenic cats.

I'm definitely a dog person, but i do ok with cats. There are some out there that i just cannot stand. My friend in college had one that i swear was bipolar. She would snuggle up to you, and sit in your lap, and then out of nowhere freak the fuck out and scratch the shit out of your thighs. I hated that cat...

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You can get special non-allergy, albeit expensive, cats can't you? Or am I making that up?

There are hypoallergenic breeds of both dogs and cats, yes.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    cats are really awesome

i have four and they all sleep on me every night

quoth is a crazy cat lady!
    i used to have ferrets
    they slept in my pillow cases near my face at night

oh man
    now i miss them again.

i love it when my cats cuddle up with me under the blankets, but they purr so loud that i can't get any sleep.

edit: go go beastiality totp.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    my cats don't like being under the blankets

and i am not a crazy cat lady

yet

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    well actually, only one of them does. He's kind of obsessed about it too.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Butters wrote: »

I was doing some reading about this because the wife is allergic to cats but I still want one. Cats like Russian Blues are hyperallergenic as far as they don't produce the dander that bugs some people but apparently its the saliva that is the real allergen for most people. I'm getting a cat anyways dammit. The wife can suck it up.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Russian blues are also a very pretty and cuddly cats. But they usually take to one person in the house and merely tolerate the rest. So if you get it to like you it probably won't even go near your wife unless it's starving for attention (or for real).

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    America curls are pretty cute

s_wurf1.jpg

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    bwanie wrote: »
    Russian blues are also a very pretty and cuddly cats. But they usually take to one person in the house and merely tolerate the rest. So if you get it to like you it probably won't even go near your wife unless it's starving for attention (or for real).

so... good pet for a single person?

my sister loves cats but is allergic to them.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Most cats are good single person pets. Their love spreads thin fast and they aren't attention whores like most dogs.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    KittenKitten Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man I miss having a cat, the best one I ever had died like...6 months ago. In fact, replace 'stroke' with 'cancer' and I have almost an identical story to the one in the OP.

Bright side though, I think my roommates are finally going to let me get a dog :D.

Kitten on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    if you're allergic to cats, just get them waxed!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    KittenKitten Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »

so... good pet for a single person?

my sister loves cats but is allergic to them.

if she can get over the weird factor, Devon Rexes are kinda cool cats.

Kitten on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My grandpa had a Russian Blue. He was the raddest cat.

Rock Lobster! on
    Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have 3 black cats that were all strays.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mu1.jpg

:3

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    America curls are pretty cute

s_wurf1.jpg

cute ears

it's like a little Ray Smuckles

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Indeed, Smuckles is an American Curl

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Mu1.jpg

:3
    He was just reading that cockatiels book.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    (1)max%20030.jpg
    postin' on the interwebs

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    R1.jpg

she weighs maybe four pounds and is constantly on edge!

this cat is also open to conversation

mrpaku on
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I want a snow spotted bengal

It's so pretty!

Graves on
  • Options
    altlat55altlat55 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm sorry to hear about your cat. They wouldn't let you take him afterwards? I had to have mine put to sleep on the 26th and I was able to take and bury him.

altlat55 on
  • Options
    OkamiOkami On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Nobody. Land of Ports, OreganoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

I'd really like to get a Russian blue when we move into a house

I'm a big dog person, but I love a good cat and they seem like a pretty fitting breed for me (they also remind me of my favorite kitten out of one of my old cat's litters- looked just like a blue)

On the subject of awesome cats dying, I had the aforementioned mother cat, Koko, for only about four years. She was a siamese/calico mix and a really great cat- the only one I knew at the time that would openly play with people into her adulthood and even comfort you. When we moved to San Diego she liked to explore the neighborhood a lot but would usually return before everyone went to bed so she could sleep inside.

She kept this up for about a year until one night she didn't come home, I kept waiting for her- every night I'd call out from the backyard in hopes that I'd hear her usual chirping meow. We're pretty sure she finally got caught by the coyotes that lived in the canyon a half a block away.

Our other cat, Kahlua, is the badass, she's a black cat and somewhere between thirteen and fifteen years old by now, we picked up from this old dude that looked like Merlin giving away kittens in front of a walmart. I'm almost surprised she's still active. You can tell old age is making her loosen up a little, she use to keep to herself a lot and didn't really do much more than sleep and catch birds. One time she brought a live bird into my brother's bedroom in the middle of the night and let it loose, waking everybody up.

Nowadays she'll play with you if you've got something good enough to play with. She's still pretty reserved, just more social now. My mom keeps telling me she want to put her down, but it sounds like she just wants to do it because she's sick of taking care of her. Every time I see Kahlua, she still seem pretty healthy physically and mentally- she runs around the house and leaps up heights of at least four feet like they were nothing to her still.

Okami on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Weretaco wrote: »

I was doing some reading about this because the wife is allergic to cats but I still want one. Cats like Russian Blues are hyperallergenic as far as they don't produce the dander that bugs some people but apparently its the saliva that is the real allergen for most people. I'm getting a cat anyways dammit. The wife can suck it up.

Hyperallergenic is probably bad for the wife.

(Semantics LOL!)

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

(Semantics LOL!)

t: the good Dr.

inconceivable.jpg

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Look at this badasss. It's a Norwegian forrest and his name is Loki
    048.jpg

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The photographer was never seen again.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

(Semantics LOL!)

t: the good Dr.

inconceivable.jpg

INCONCEIVABLE!
    (no you are right...)

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sorry I just really like that movie and you weren't giving me very many outs

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    haha, he's actually a giant pussy (no pun intended)

He's so sensitive it's hilarious at times. When i yell at him for doing something he's not supposed to, he'll sit on the stairs and wail at an impressive volume for a good ten minutes. Just like a little kid crying.

My other cat is too stupid to understand discipline. I can kick her across the room and she'll come running back to kiss and make up.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I told my girlfriend that I would get her a gray cat and it would be called Scrambles the Death Dealer.

Graves on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My other cat is too stupid to understand discipline. I can kick her across the room and she'll come running back to kiss and make up.

That's the great thing about at least two of my cats (Magnus Emerson O'Puss is just too adorable and mellow to need punishment). I can drag them out of their hiding places to throw them out for the night, or even just throw cushions at them when I can't be bothered to pick them up to move them, and they don't care.

One time, I was sitting with the late Spam on my lap, and all of a sudden he just latched onto my wrist with his teeth. I had to beat him against the settee to make him let go. Still, an hour or so later, we were cool again. It's like how guys can blow up in each others' faces, and then later be all "sup, dude."

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only problem is finding a Russian blue. I want to rescue a cat from the SPCA not buy a cat and continue the problem of overbreeding.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My Grandma just died. What do you think of that, OP?

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    Ani_BAni_B Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Look at this badasss. It's a Norwegian forrest and his name is Loki]

Shoe's cat is a Norwegian Forrest cat as well. His name is Ethan and he is missing his top right canine and has an Elvis sneer.

th_kreesmas016.jpg

Ani_B on
    Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.