Options

My cat just died.

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ETHAN I MISS YOU AAAAUUUUUUUGH

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Ani_BAni_B Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Him, McGuirk, and Small were all cuddled on the foot of the bed this morning, one giant cat ball.

Ani_B on
    Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    man

I need my cat back. all the cats around here are old.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    sorry to hear about your cat, Jimothy. he sounds like he was a good friend to you.
    i miss my old cat too. he was kind of... a psychotic murderer of anything smaller than him. he survived encephalitis as a kitten and i think it damaged his brain somehow.

he also never cleaned himself. he was white with yellow eyes and always dirty and ratty looking. like a cat so lean he actually looked muscular. like a crazy, wiry, homocidal hobo.

one time he killed a weasel that was larger than himself. dad and i were on the porch having a beer after a long day of harvest. bud (that's what i named him) is looking all beat up, and he drags this thing up on the deck and drops it and just stares. then drags it under the porch and starts tearing it to pieces.

he disappeared a few years ago. he either messed with something meaner than him... like a badger... but part of me thinks of him as still out there somewhere, stalking the rural landscape, continuing his killing spree.

but loss of a cat also means

maybe get a kitten

i adopted one a couple months ago and she is just so damn precious

Holy shit, I was gonna finish reading the thread, but I read this and had to say we used to have a cat named Bud who sounds nothing like your Bud, but he ran away and came back three fucking years later. Missing a leg.

He was fucking awesome.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm really sorry about your cat, Jimothy. I still choke up when I think about my cat Shannon who died 10 years back.

I still have Hobbes, who's 20 years old. He was a stray that was born on-site at the chemical plant where I worked. When he was rescued, he was so covered in dirt that your hand would come away black after petting him. He was the cutest fuzz ball!

He had to have part of his lower jaw removed just after PAX to get rid of a malignant tumor (hemangiosarcoma). Long story short, he just had his 4th chemo treatment this week and there's no sign of the cancer returning! Even the vets are amazed that he's doing so well - they say he's too ornery to die!

I don't have any illusions; he's bound to go sometime soon since he's in his late 90s in cat years. In the meantime I'm enjoying him still being here and I'm spoiling the hell out of him! In fact, I think I'll go grill some chicken for him now.

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The best part about Nelson is the way that whatever we've eaten for dinner, there will be some aspect of it that he finds delicious, so we just put our plates on the floor for a while before washing them up.

I was stripping a chicken the other day and both Nelson and Magnus near took my hand off when I offered them the skin.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Framling wrote: »
    sorry to hear about your cat, Jimothy. he sounds like he was a good friend to you.
    i miss my old cat too. he was kind of... a psychotic murderer of anything smaller than him. he survived encephalitis as a kitten and i think it damaged his brain somehow.

he also never cleaned himself. he was white with yellow eyes and always dirty and ratty looking. like a cat so lean he actually looked muscular. like a crazy, wiry, homocidal hobo.

one time he killed a weasel that was larger than himself. dad and i were on the porch having a beer after a long day of harvest. bud (that's what i named him) is looking all beat up, and he drags this thing up on the deck and drops it and just stares. then drags it under the porch and starts tearing it to pieces.

he disappeared a few years ago. he either messed with something meaner than him... like a badger... but part of me thinks of him as still out there somewhere, stalking the rural landscape, continuing his killing spree.

but loss of a cat also means

maybe get a kitten

i adopted one a couple months ago and she is just so damn precious

Holy shit, I was gonna finish reading the thread, but I read this and had to say we used to have a cat named Bud who sounds nothing like your Bud, but he ran away and came back three fucking years later. Missing a leg.

He was fucking awesome.

Yeah, never was a cat like that one I guess.

But... damn dude.

Came back after three years missin' a leg?

That cat is a badass.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cats are gay

his dying was his ultimate method of hurting you

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i always have a strange lack of empathy with these threads because every pet i had growing up died pretty quickly because we live in the middle of the forest and they were all outside pets

so at a certain point i stopped getting hella attached

i still love my pets, i just don't really get sad when they die

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Framling wrote: »

He was fucking awesome.

Yeah, never was a cat like that one I guess.

But... damn dude.

Came back after three years missin' a leg?

That cat is a badass.

That's the thing, he wasn't badass, he was always the most laid-back cat ever. He was the kind of cat you could pick up off the chair you wanted to sit in, and put in another chair, and he wouldn't even raise his head.

Only problem was, when he came back, he was just a monster, like razor-sharp claws, all muscle, just fucking scary. But he was still just retarded affectionate, so if he was sitting next to you on the couch or something, you had to have a protective blanket between him and you, and you couldn't pet him, or he'd just get too happy and crazy and claw you to death. You could touch him, but you couldn't pet him.
    Budstandingonfloor-1.jpg

Look at this motherfucker. Like something out of a Final Fantasy game or something.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jesus christ

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dire Cat mauls you for 9999 damage
    You die
    Game over man...game over

Hunter on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Damn.

It's like he left as your cat named Bud.

And returned as my cat named Bud, minus one leg.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Norwegian Blue, BEAUTIFUL Plumage!

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    RSPRSP Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is Zackers. 11 years old.
    imgp0450.jpg

Very sorry for your loss.

RSP on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Not a very good picture, you can't see his face, but it's the one my mom sent me. Hopefully I get a better one later.
    thunder.jpg

Apparently my brother helped with one of our mom's scrapbooks.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    god jimothy my heart just broke :(

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Leli wrote: »
    misbehavin wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    misbehavin wrote: »
    Every one ragged on the guy that said "animals die," but there is odd truth to that.

I have 2 dogs, and I've thought that exact thought: We buy these animals that have staggeringly shorter lifespans than we do, so we know they are going to die, and likely relatively soon (compared to how long we live) and yet we get attached and love them just the same. The pain and tragedy is coming, we know it, but we do it anyway.

It would seem stupid were they not so darn lovable.

true or not, it's not the kind of thing you tell someone who just lost one

it would be like going to a funeral and saying "people die" to the grieving relatives

Oh, I agree with that...

I'm just saying, it was something I was thinking.

I do feel bad for your cat, though. I'm gonna be sad when my dogs die, too.

The good times far outweigh the bad. that's why we do it.

This is that video I was talking about earlier.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGQVX8iGbgk

Oh my God, Leli, I just bawled watching this.

That was really, really good.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I thought he was wearing a hat at first.

Fuga on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Always sucks to lose a pet, but the good times are totally worth it. Sorry for your loss.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ugh. I'm sorry. At least he didn't die out in the woods somewhere like mine did. :(

"I meant," said Iplsore bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?" Death thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE."

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    not a cat, but still cute and fuzzy
    Meet Boomer, age 3mos

Sink2.jpg

and again, almost full grown at 16lb

BigEars.jpg

and just shy of 8, always forgetting that her butt was too big to play hide and seek

hideandseek.jpg

Usagi on
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Awh. I lost my cat too, but she just ran away when we tried to move. Adorable and really loving, but she was probably a little terrified when we temporarily transplanted her to my aunt's house.

Luckily for my conscience, kitties are remarkably quick to return to a wild state.

Xhero on
  • Options
    cheshirecheshire Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That really sucks about your cat Jimothy. I lost my cat just last year. He was only about a year old and was acting really weird. I had taken him to the vet for tests and while we were waiting for the results he died.

My other cat, TJ, is 19 years old and getting pretty frail. I check to see if he is still breating every morning.

cheshire on
    She was never meant to be a common creature
    Extraordinary takes time
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fufu doesn't like to sit still for pictures, but I tried!
    Pictures390.jpg
    Pictures406.jpg
    Pictures393.jpg

Graves on
  • Options
    cheshirecheshire Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Here's one of my favorites picks of my kitty
    CATS.jpg

He used to sprawl out like that on my keyboard at work all the time.

cheshire on
    She was never meant to be a common creature
    Extraordinary takes time
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fufu is siamese/tabby and she likes to play rough with me, and there was a time where every night I would walk through the living room to say goodnight to everyone and get a drink, and she would run, jump, and claw into my pajama pants, then do some kind of tazmanian devil thing and sprint away.

Weirdo.

Graves on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cheshire wrote: »
    Here's one of my favorites picks of my kitty
    CATS.jpg

He used to sprawl out like that on my keyboard at work all the time.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm sorry, man. :( We've cremated all our cats and they're in jars on our mantle.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2009
    this seems the best thread to mention that I just saw marley & me and now I'm kind of sad

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    this seems the best thread to mention that I just saw marley & me and now I'm kind of sad

If you've ever owned a yellow lab, or a lab at all, this is a terrible movie to see.
    thorinpupscan.jpg

Thorin as a puppy.
    DSC00262.jpg

Thorin as a studly young man.
    HPIM0171.jpg

Thorin as a tired old dog.

He's still around! And he still acts a retard when he's down at the ranch. But watching Marley & Me, I realized he's done all that shit and more that Marley did in the movie.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    my mom was half-pissed at the end

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A COMEDY! she said

mom, it's a memoir about a dog, how did you think this was going to end?

I DON'T KNOW I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST GOING TO STOP

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's actually a fine movie, and a good idea.

But it is still very sad, but anybody who's owned a dog before should know this. It's always worth it.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Is it any good?

Because it looked like a really bad romantic comedy, like some kind of fusion of the live action 101 Dalmations and any movie Jennifer Aniston would star in.

But then people whose opinions on movies aren't completely awful were talking about seeing it and I was confused.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    it was pretty good

and it's not exactly a comedy

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cheshire wrote: »
    That really sucks about your cat Jimothy. I lost my cat just last year. He was only about a year old and was acting really weird. I had taken him to the vet for tests and while we were waiting for the results he died.

My other cat, TJ, is 19 years old and getting pretty frail. I check to see if he is still breating every morning.

I had a guinea pig that lived to be like 14. Every morning I figured he'd have passed on but nope, he was chillin' in his little castle with his butt poking out.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    it was pretty good

and it's not exactly a comedy

My point is that I thought it was basically a Matthew McConaughey movie starring Owen Wilson.

But it turns out it was not?

Jimothy on
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When I was little I had a mental, GIANT cat called Jasper.

That goddamn cat went through a phase where he would attack the postman every day with a jump from the depths of a hedge we had in our front garden. It got to the point where he would just refuse to give us our post unless either my mum opened the front door and had the cat with her or came out to the front gate. He also once brought a number of very large potatoes from the kitchen, through the serving hatch, into the back room and left them in a big pile in the corner then turned to my parents and apparently stared at them expectantly, as if they'd know what to do.

He also dribbled a lot and would scram the fuck out of you if you annoyed him, but was otherwise pretty loving, and good at putting up with me and my sisters most of the time

He eventually got hit by a car. I miss him a lot, even though he died more than 10 years ago and when I think about it I don't really remember him that well, just a few choice memories.

Quirk on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    holy shit it took me so long to realize the last few sentences were about your cat and not the postman

redhead on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I feel for your loss. We always had lots of cats (and dogs) growing up and I know how it is to watch them grow from tiny kittens to finally succumbing to old age or disease. I myself own 4 cats now and about 4-6 months ago I had another cat but he was hit by a car. I buried him behind the house and I always get sad when I think of him and how he'd wake me up whenever my alarm went off in the morning. :(

Also, my grandmother has a cat that turns 20 years old this April. We found her in a parking lot as a kitten and she was a mean little shit, always biting and clawing and not in a playful way either, but now she's calmed down in her old age. I love kitties so much.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png