Options

The Palm Prē: Whatever the Touchstone touches stays touched

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    The iPhone is actually a feature-phone, not a smart-phone, but folks don't like to hear that.

I'd agree with that interpretation completely. It's a shame that the cell providers market it otherwise.

stigweard on
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    Natheo wrote: »
    lack of the ability to share data between apps is another indicator too. IE cut and paste.

I still have trouble believing that's missing from the phone.

It's such a simple thing; I'd rather believe that every single person who has ever used it just hasn't figured out how to do it.

Is it possible to select text at all?

Yes it is possible.

just out of curiosity, how accurate is it, really? (don't lie to me, I've heard the horror stories about the iPhone keyboard)

I was entirely shocked when I first learned that the iPhone would have no stylus.

The iPhone is perfectly accurate. But it's too small for my thumbs and fingers. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful piece of hardware. Durable as hell too. My buddy has one that's been dropped several times, screens cracked to all hell, and a little bit of glass in the upper right corner is missing, but the phone actually functions perfectly.

It's just little, appley things about the phone that annoy me.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    lack of the ability to share data between apps is another indicator too. IE cut and paste.

It's such a simple thing; I'd rather believe that every single person who has ever used it just hasn't figured out how to do it.

Yes it is possible.

just out of curiosity, how accurate is it, really? (don't lie to me, I've heard the horror stories about the iPhone keyboard)

I was entirely shocked when I first learned that the iPhone would have no stylus.

The iPhone is perfectly accurate. But it's too small for my thumbs and fingers. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful piece of hardware. Durable as hell too. My buddy has one that's been dropped several times, screens cracked to all hell, and a little bit of glass in the upper right corner is missing, but the phone actually functions perfectly.

I don't know if I'd count "cracked all to hell" as durable.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    A lesser piece of hardware subject to that torment would not be whole. Nonetheless power up and work perfectly. I mean we're pushing the physical limits of raw materials with his kind of treatment.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Yes it is possible.

It depends on the size of your digits. I can type accurately with it using my pinky finger, but there is no way I can use thumbs. You can't use a regular stylus atm because it is a capacitive screen. To my knowledge (swhich is limited because all I ever do is set them up), the only way to get copy and paste right now is through a third party, commercial app.

stigweard on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Copy and Paste will come officially. It's only a matter of time.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh no doubt. Despite that they stated it being far down on their priorities for the phone, all this racket clanging around in the tubes about it has got to count for something.

While I think Apple may be vain, I don't consider them to be stupid. They can't possibly ignore this.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That just makes it look rushed, honestly.

Copy/Paste is an important function to have for business, and smartphones are business phones.

The iPhone is a toy. It's fine for it to be a toy, but it is silly to pretend that it is anything else.

Evander on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Copy/Paste is an important function to have for business, and smartphones are business phones.

The iPhone is a toy. It's fine for it to be a toy, but it is silly to pretend that it is anything else.

Never used an iPhone I take it?

We use iphones for all our sales guys, it does the job and then some. Got them configured to connect to works VPN for secure email and lots of other little things.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is copy+paste really that hard to implement, anyway? I mean, I can't think of many basic functions much easier to code than that. It's even simpler than implementing text entry in the first place.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »

We use iphones for all our sales guys, it does the job and then some. Got them configured to connect to works VPN for secure email and lots of other little things.

Giving your sales people iPhones is a marketing gimmick. It's an attempt to make the firm look hip.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Rushed? Anything but rushed.

There's probably guys at Apple who've been working on this shit for months, trying to make it as intuitive as possible so not even an idiot could fuck up a copy and paste. That's how they roll.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Giving your sales people iPhones is a marketing gimmick. It's an attempt to make the firm look hip.

What's wrong with being hip.

Obs on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

There's probably guys at Apple who've been working on this shit for months, trying to make it as intuitive as possible so not even an idiot could fuck up a copy and paste. That's how they roll.
    Fucking months.

Copy and paste is some extreme stuff.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009

No, that the PHONE was rushed.

It used to be that updates and patches were meant to be a value add, where new things that hadn't been thought of could later be added to software/a device.

Now, with the pace that technology is moving, everyone seems to reale half-finished products, and then just finish them later through patches. Once the device itself is finished (of in some cases, like the Wii remote and Wii Motion+, finished enough and modular) and the software is stable enough to not crash most of the time, they ship it right out, and then finish the product through patches at a later date. This isn't iPhone specific; it is an issue with the whole industry.
    What's wrong with being hip.

If I was looking for a supplier, my prime concern is that they can provide me best to suit my needs (as possibly also the breakdown of where their money goes, if I'm looking to support American industry, etc.)

The coolness of their phones has zero relevance to business. There are exceptions for certain industries where "hipness" is a necessity(fashion, etc.) but in general, the inner workings of those industries are incredibly stupid to begin with.

Evander on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A lesser piece of hardware subject to that torment would not be whole. Nonetheless power up and work perfectly.

One eyed man in the land of the blind, etc. I have a Fluke multimeter that I could drop from several stories into a lake, and it would still take incredibly precise electrical readings. I shouldn't have to worry about dropping my phone from 4 feet up or using it in the rain. This has nothing to do with the iPhone or the Pre, of course, just my general complaint with consumer electronics.

Did Apple ever get push working on the iPhone? I love my push Gmail.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fluke don't exactly make consumer electronics either. If you need that level of service, you have to pay for it, and most conusmers won't.

stigweard on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    stigweard wrote: »
    Fluke don't exactly make consumer electronics either. If you need that level of service, you have to pay for it, and most conusmers won't.

One could safely assume a Fluke smartphone could be hit with a hammer, yes. Probably cost $2000 too.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Absolutely. I'm not asking for mil-spec, I just want my phone to be able to survive some abuse on account of my clumsy self. I'd pay a 25 or 50% premium for that.

Anyway, how about that Pre. There's an interesting interview on Engadget today about the innards of webOS. I hope we see a proper release date soon, I'm getting quite excited about this thing.

Fats on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    God, all this shit about how it's official that copy + paste is on the way never stops being funny.

Honestly, having only used one a couple of times, I gotta say that the iPhone's keyboard isn't as bad as everyone keeps saying. Sounds weird, but if you just sort of "trust" it instead of trying to be super accurate, it works out just fine. I'm a hell of a lot faster with it than I am with a normal cellphone, at any rate.

I'd prefer a keyboard with real buttons, but it's still not the terror everyone claims it to be.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    God, all this shit about how it's official that copy + paste is on the way never stops being funny.

Honestly, having only used one a couple of times, I gotta say that the iPhone's keyboard isn't as bad as everyone keeps saying. Sounds weird, but if you just sort of "trust" it instead of trying to be super accurate, it works out just fine. I'm a hell of a lot faster with it than I am with a normal cellphone, at any rate.

I'd prefer a keyboard with real buttons, but it's still not the terror everyone claims it to be.

Physical keyboard > iPhone keyboard > T9 > handwriting recognition > stylus-driven onscreen keyboard

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Seeks wrote: »

Physical keyboard > iPhone keyboard > T9 > handwriting recognition > stylus-driven onscreen keyboard

Sounds about right to me. Although I'd add in "decent finger-driven resistive onscreen keyboard" somewhere in the middle there.

I think the reason I keep going on about iPhone's form over function is because that's what keeps it from being basically the perfect mobile device for me; Apple's form-driven ideals. If it had a full physical keyboard and complete smartphone functionality to go with its great interface and hardware, I'd jump over to ATT in a heartbeat.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What do you need a smartphone for specifically?

Obs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

If some one was selling half a bar of chocolate and a whole bar of chocolate for the same exact price, but the half-bar had a bow on it, which would you buy?

Personally (among other reasons, to be sure) the whole locked-down-ness of the iPhone keeps me from even considering it. Having to pay to convert my own songs in to ring tones. Not being able to stick on any program I like, etc.

Did I even hear something about not being able to set background pictures?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No wait I want to hear exactly what this dude needs a smartphone for

Obs on
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That's correct, iPhones aren't capable of setting different background pictures from the phone itself.

iLife '09 has an "Export to iPhone Background" feature that costs 99c each time, though.

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    quick question. Does it have a headphone jack?
    If not, or it uses a proprietary connector, FAIL

This is what those idiots who made the t mobile android phone didn't realize

Sam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It does have a normal headphone jack. Gotta agree on the G1, it's not like it isn't thick enough, it should have one too.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

If some one was selling half a bar of chocolate and a whole bar of chocolate for the same exact price, but the half-bar had a bow on it, which would you buy?

Personally (among other reasons, to be sure) the whole locked-down-ness of the iPhone keeps me from even considering it. Having to pay to convert my own songs in to ring tones. Not being able to stick on any program I like, etc.

This isn't true. You can set any photo from the camera as a background pic, and there is an application on the app store called backgrounds or wallpapers or something that let's you choose your own background.

The ring tone feature is a scam, but blame ATT and your American cell phone industry for this. Nowhere else are you forced to always pay for ringtones. Nowhere else is bluetooth gimped for data sharing. Gimping one of the most revolutionary data technologies to farm 99 cent transactions from teenage girls /rant

Of course you can jailbreak your phone and add whatever background and ringtone- although I'm not sure about the ringtone part

Sam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fats wrote: »
    It does have a normal headphone jack. Gotta agree on the G1, it's not like it isn't thick enough, it should have one too.

it's fucking retarded to not have one. It's like they make a convergence device and go "fuck convergence, it's for fags"

Then apple rakes in another pile of cash and Steve Jobs smiles from the cancer ward
    should i not have made that joke

Sam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Let me actually rephrase: I don't actually give a shit about the arbitrary semantics of smartphone/not smartphone. I would just like to actually be able to do basic shit like replace my battery and swap memory cards without tearing the phone apart and putting it back together again.

And I don't like having to go through Apple for apps.

Now, have we discussed copy and paste? Yeah. Basic functions.

OremLK on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    While we're on another detour about iPhone backgrounds, I just wanted to say this: I may disagree with Obs on a lot of points, but iPhone launcher backgrounds is not one of them. Wallpapers make sense on a desktop where icons are only covering up a small fraction of the image, but not on the iPhone where they are most likely covering up at least three quarters of the image. Sure, not allowing users to put anything back there at all is kind of an unfriendly and unilateral enforcement of good taste... but at least it is good taste.

I see putting images behind the icons on the iPhone kind of like putting up Christmas lights in your car windows.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No wait I want to hear exactly what this dude needs a smartphone for

E-mail, instant messaging, tasks, calenders, etc. etc. on a mobile device.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow this thread has taken a veer off the deep end.

1. iPhone keyboard - The hate is misplaced. If you've used one for any length of time and actually gotten used to it you can type quite quickly and accurately on it. The autocorrect is fairly intelligent and has gotten better over time. I can type pretty damn quickly with it. I send a lot of texts and e-mail and the keyboard does not slow me down at all. I find I can type much quicker than I ever could with my Pearl. The "keys" on the iPhone are small to fit but when you hit a character the key pops up to verify that you hit the key you intended to. The autocorrect seems to find some mistakes based on common misspellings. For instance if you meant to type T-H-E but hit Y-J-R it will realize you meant THE and autocorrect.

2. Unfinished - To claim the iPhone was rushed and released unfinished is ludicrous. Everything in the 1.0 release worked as advertised. Features have been added, speedups have been made, and bugs have been fixed since then but the original release worked very well. It's simply a red herring to suggest the iPhone is unfinished because it does not meet some arbitrary criteria of what a "smart phone" is and is not.

3. Copy and paste - The obsession over copy and paste is absolutely ridiculous and the whole idea is blown way or of proportion. Quite a few apps on the iPhone have built-in functionality to cover for the fact there's no copy and paste. For instance Safari's plus button gives an option to mail a link to the current page and fires up the mail client. Pressing on an address box in the contacts list will look it up in Google maps. Google maps can send a location as an e-mail. There's places where copy and paste would be useful like mailing multiple URLs in the same message or texting some copied text. However it's not like you can't do anything without C&P and there's not ways around C&P.

4. Swappable memory/batteries - I haven't seen an external battery charger since I had my Ericsson R520m a longass time ago. It had a nice one where the cradle could charge the phone and an extra battery simultaneously. Ergo I have not bought an extra battery for any phone since my R520m since there was no easy way to keep my in-use and extra battery charged without swapping them out of the phone and keeping track of what one was charged and which wasn't. Maybe some people don't mind this process. The same goes for memory cards, my iPhone has 8GB and connects to iTunes which supports smart playlists. I've never run into the situation where I would have put more music on a separate bit of memory to swap out later. My iPhone stores a week's worth of music. I listen to stuff I like more than once and it's a week's worth of music, even if I was on a two week vacation I doubt I would exhaust my iPhone's playlist. This is purely anecdotal so I can fully imagine there's people that might want multiple memory cards and swap them out all the time.

5. No backgrounds - I don't need my app launcher to look like a clown was murdered on it. I have my phone background set with the happy face from Watchmen. It costs nothing to use your own images as backgrounds, I have quite a few in an album in the Photos app. You can use any photo in your albums as a background image, there's no special anything that needs to be done to use them. If it's a picture on your phone you can use it as a background. It's also trivial to make ringtones without paying anything. GarageBand (part of iLife) will export a 30 second clip of any project as a ringtone into iTunes. If you've got an MP3 on iTunes Plus track you can drop into GB, set a 30 second clip and make a ringtone for free.

6. Headphones - The headphone jack on the iPhone is a normal 3.5mm headphone jack. The original iPhone's jack was recessed which caused problems with some headphones. A $5 adapter fixed this problem. The 3G iPhone doesn't have a recessed jack so it works with any headphones you want to plug in. The same is true for all the iPod touches and iPods.

I think that covers the iPhone misinformation from this thread. So how about that Pre?

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Looks good. Wish there was some information about when it was being released and if we'll see anything like the Diamond/Touch Pro's amazing Youtube app on it, since the browser doesn't support flash (god fucking damnit, why can't we have nice things?)

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    replace my battery.

hell yes.

this is a necessity with a cell phone.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    quick question. Does it have a headphone jack?
    If not, or it uses a proprietary connector, FAIL

This is what those idiots who made the t mobile android phone didn't realize

My phone (HTC Touch Pro CDMA) is propriety, but they actually included an adapter in the box.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    While we're on another detour about iPhone backgrounds, I just wanted to say this: I may disagree with Obs on a lot of points, but iPhone launcher backgrounds is not one of them. Wallpapers make sense on a desktop where icons are only covering up a small fraction of the image, but not on the iPhone where they are most likely covering up at least three quarters of the image. Sure, not allowing users to put anything back there at all is kind of an unfriendly and unilateral enforcement of good taste... but at least it is good taste.

I see putting images behind the icons on the iPhone kind of like putting up Christmas lights in your car windows.

The flaw of your argument is that a cellphone background is only visable by the one person using the phone. It is a personal thing that makes you smile, not something that you are displaying to the world

Evander on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    bash wrote: »
    Wow this thread has taken a veer off the deep end.

1. iPhone keyboard - The hate is misplaced. If you've used one for any length of time and actually gotten used to it you can type quite quickly and accurately on it. The autocorrect is fairly intelligent and has gotten better over time. I can type pretty damn quickly with it. I send a lot of texts and e-mail and the keyboard does not slow me down at all. I find I can type much quicker than I ever could with my Pearl. The "keys" on the iPhone are small to fit but when you hit a character the key pops up to verify that you hit the key you intended to. The autocorrect seems to find some mistakes based on common misspellings. For instance if you meant to type T-H-E but hit Y-J-R it will realize you meant THE and autocorrect.

2. Unfinished - To claim the iPhone was rushed and released unfinished is ludicrous. Everything in the 1.0 release worked as advertised. Features have been added, speedups have been made, and bugs have been fixed since then but the original release worked very well. It's simply a red herring to suggest the iPhone is unfinished because it does not meet some arbitrary criteria of what a "smart phone" is and is not.

3. Copy and paste - The obsession over copy and paste is absolutely ridiculous and the whole idea is blown way or of proportion. Quite a few apps on the iPhone have built-in functionality to cover for the fact there's no copy and paste. For instance Safari's plus button gives an option to mail a link to the current page and fires up the mail client. Pressing on an address box in the contacts list will look it up in Google maps. Google maps can send a location as an e-mail. There's places where copy and paste would be useful like mailing multiple URLs in the same message or texting some copied text. However it's not like you can't do anything without C&P and there's not ways around C&P.

4. Swappable memory/batteries - I haven't seen an external battery charger since I had my Ericsson R520m a longass time ago. It had a nice one where the cradle could charge the phone and an extra battery simultaneously. Ergo I have not bought an extra battery for any phone since my R520m since there was no easy way to keep my in-use and extra battery charged without swapping them out of the phone and keeping track of what one was charged and which wasn't. Maybe some people don't mind this process. The same goes for memory cards, my iPhone has 8GB and connects to iTunes which supports smart playlists. I've never run into the situation where I would have put more music on a separate bit of memory to swap out later. My iPhone stores a week's worth of music. I listen to stuff I like more than once and it's a week's worth of music, even if I was on a two week vacation I doubt I would exhaust my iPhone's playlist. This is purely anecdotal so I can fully imagine there's people that might want multiple memory cards and swap them out all the time.

5. No backgrounds - I don't need my app launcher to look like a clown was murdered on it. I have my phone background set with the happy face from Watchmen. It costs nothing to use your own images as backgrounds, I have quite a few in an album in the Photos app. You can use any photo in your albums as a background image, there's no special anything that needs to be done to use them. If it's a picture on your phone you can use it as a background. It's also trivial to make ringtones without paying anything. GarageBand (part of iLife) will export a 30 second clip of any project as a ringtone into iTunes. If you've got an MP3 on iTunes Plus track you can drop into GB, set a 30 second clip and make a ringtone for free.

6. Headphones - The headphone jack on the iPhone is a normal 3.5mm headphone jack. The original iPhone's jack was recessed which caused problems with some headphones. A $5 adapter fixed this problem. The 3G iPhone doesn't have a recessed jack so it works with any headphones you want to plug in. The same is true for all the iPod touches and iPods.

I think that covers the iPhone misinformation from this thread. So how about that Pre?

I like how half of those aren't actually misinformation so much as things that you don't think are important, where clearly plenty of other people do. Especially Copy and Paste.

Copy + Paste is a big deal, sorry if you don't think it is. Forcing apps to compensate by adding all sorts of extraneous functionality that shouldn't need to exist is stupid. I'm not saying lack of C&P cripples the iPhone or anything, but when you're using what's basically a tiny computer, it becomes a glaring oversight.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Engadget has a really good overview of the phone. 3.5mm headset jack, continues with the ringer on/off switch tradition that Palm has which is very nice. Fuck messing with menus to turn my ringer on and off. I am quite excited. With them trying to release it before June, my wallet is already out.

JAEF on