Options

The Palm Prē: Whatever the Touchstone touches stays touched

1242526272830»

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    So I just figured out how to take screenshots on my Pre. Yay?
    Unknown_2009-12-06_202645.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what I would use this feature for, but it's pretty neat regardless.

Where did you get that background? And is there a desktop sized version of it?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I came across it scouring web sites and message boards for Pre wallpapers, don't remember which one specifically I got it from. It had already been resized when I found it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came from an original larger image.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Where did you get that background? And is there a desktop sized version of it?

I found that one and a few other good game related ones here.

Kogareru on
    GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Guy modifies the car charger so that he can use the Touchstone as a car mount/charger.

Okay, I might have to do this myself. I was worried that the car charger wouldn't power it correctly, but it appears to work perfectly.

EDIT - Here's another guy that did it, and I think his looks a little better actually. I would probably use Velcro instead of double sided tape though. That way I could easily remove the actual touchstone and use it somewhere else if I wanted to. You can get pretty insanely strong Velcro these days.

I really love the idea of doing this. I can imagine using this mount for charging purposes, while at the same time streaming Pandora through my car's speakers and using the (surprisingly robust) Sprint GPS application. For once, I feel like this phone could actually be a genuine all-in-one solution.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Apparently (found the author) it was made originally as an iPhone background, so there's no full size version of it. :(

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ahh, yeah. I guess that's one thing that's kind of nice about that aspect of the Pre. It's the same resolution as an iPhone, so any iPhone wallpaper (of which there are about a billion) will look great on the Pre as well.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Good old Ars is up to their usual insightfulness, and has an angle on the Pre that I haven't seen anywhere else: They're saying Palm was never really aiming at the iPhone's market share, but rather the BlackBerry's.
    In all, Palm put as much effort into making the webOS a first-rate messaging experience as Apple did into making the iPhone a first-rate media experience, and with just as much success.

Worth a read.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    People have gotten really far hacking the Pre. You can get root access to the device's Linux OS and install a package system and then install native Linux applications without much trouble. The modifications done would likely not be ruined by updating WebOS, either, unless Palm intentionally tries to lock people out.

This is really cool. WebOS was always based on Linux but now you can gain unfettered access to the underlying Linux OS and you effectively have a tiny little Linux computer. The phone is extremely customizable.

http://predev.wikidot.com/

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I stopped by a Sprint store again today and quickly came to a conclusion regarding the Pre demo app: bitch gotta go. It had somehow entered an endless loop of starting the video, immediately quitting, and then repeating. The "lead communications consultant" at the store couldn't figure out what to do, so there it will sit, making a rather terrible impression on potential customers until someone can manage a hard reboot.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I really need to get a touchstone. I'm tired of having to plug in a pesky wire to charge this thing when I don't have to.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ...And sure enough, my wife got me a Touchstone today for Father's Day.

This thing is pretty sweet. The "cool" factor of just sitting it on there and watching it immediately go into charging mode just can't be beat. Also, I'm curious what the material is on the bottom of it. It's somehow not sticky and yet sticks solidly to just about anything.

Now I just need to buy a mount kit and a car charger and I can make myself a touchstone car charger/mount.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They skin geckos alive in front of their screaming wives and children while their little gecko house burns to the ground around them just so your touchstone can be sticky.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Disturbing! Yet somehow it makes me like it even more.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How fast does the Pre charge via induction?

tofu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    How fast does the Pre charge via induction?
    Not sure, as I only got a chance to charge it for about an hour before I left for work. I've heard it is slower than using the standard USB/Wall charger, but since I always just leave it charging overnight I'm sure it will be enough. Plus, the sheer convenience of the thing and getting to use the matte battery cover makes up it.

In other news, I dropped my Pre for the first time a few minutes ago, and nearly had a stroke. Luckily it was on carpet... extremely thin carpet, but it was better than nothing at least. Thankfully, there's not even a scratch on it.

EDIT - Oh man, Amazon has the Touchstone by itself for only $30. I'm seriously considering getting it as an extra one for my truck...

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    $30? I wish you could just get the thing for $30. I want one as it is very very awesome, but not quite $70 awesome. Especially since I'd have to get one for work too making it an even 100.

Does charging a Lithium Ion battery too often damage it. If I did get a touchstone my instinct would be to just leave it there whenever I'm at my desk, but I recall hearing that reduces the life of the battery.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't think you can over-charge li-ion batteries, and they also don't have the nasty memory effect that ni-cads do. Leaving it on the charger shouldn't do any real damage to the battery.

Also, you can find the touchstone+back kits online at various places for $50 and cheaper. I believe Amazon even had it at $41 for both recently. They still might, though you might have to wait a few weeks for it to ship.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Huh, a spare battery is not bad at all.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Can you charge the spare on a touchstone without it being put into the Pre? That would be awesome.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hmm, I don't think so. I'm not entirely sure how the pairing between the touchstone and the phone works, but at the very least, the special matte back has to be used because it is magnetized and will snap to the touchstone's magnet. A normal battery would just fall off of it.

I'm guessing it wouldn't work anyway though, even if you could get the battery to stay there. The touchstone works by induction, meaning the secondary winding of the coupling (the primary winding being in the touchstone itself) would have to be either in the phone somewhere or in the special back cover. I'm guessing it's in the cover, as I don't think it will charge on the touchstone with the normal cover on it even if you hold it in place.

So to make a long story short, no, it won't work. However, Palm does sell a dedicated battery charger. Not as cool as the touchstone obviously, but at least you could charge it without having to put it in the phone first.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guys, I just figured out something pretty cool. The metal parts of the earbuds are magnets so they won't get tangled up.

corky842 on
  • Options
    ReckonerReckoner Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Big Dookie, I saw that you gave one Palm Pre. I have some questions about it, if you can reply me would be good:

What are the options for sharing pictures and videos over social networks like Flickr, YouTube, Twitpick, etc.?
    The App Store has Instant Messaging Apps for MSN and Skype?
    What about the quality of the camera? Is it good enough?
    8gb are enough?
    Is it possible to copy entire web pages articles with images, etc. to email like iPhone 3.0 OS does?
    Do you recommend getting one Palm Pre instead of an iPhone 3GS?

Reckoner on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Reckoner wrote: »
    Big Dookie, I saw that you gave one Palm Pre. I have some questions about it, if you can reply me would be good:

What are the options for sharing pictures and videos over social networks like Flickr, YouTube, Twitpick, etc.?
    The App Store has Instant Messaging Apps for MSN and Skype?
    What about the quality of the camera? Is it good enough?
    8gb are enough?
    Is it possible to copy entire web pages articles with images, etc. to email like iPhone 3.0 OS does?
    Do you recommend getting one Palm Pre instead of an iPhone 3GS?

Well, I'm not Big Dookie, but I can answer some of those questions as I've had a Pre for a week now.

1. I know you can upload pictures to Facebook and share them via MMS and email. I'm not sure about any other services.

2. There is build in support for AIM and Google Talk and currently no apps for MSN or Skype. Those can't be far off though.

3. The camera quality is great and the flash is a really nice feature too.

4. Up to you I guess.

5. Unfortunately no. You can only copy things that are editable.

6. Personally I'd say yes. The phones are fairly comparable. The multi-tasking, search, and email on the pre is better IMO. Also the extra $30 savings a month is a big bonus.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    ReckonerReckoner Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And the battery, what do you think about it?

Reckoner on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There is no video yet, so YouTube is out.

The battery is OK. Lasts about a day for me.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've had the phone last me 16 hours while taking dozens of pictures, some with the flash, watching videos online, uploading stuff, and some light web surfing and phone usage and the batter was at about 18% after all that. I've heard that using AIM drains the batter fairly quick and I haven't used that. Otherwise it is lasting longer than I thought it would.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I don't think you can over-charge li-ion batteries, and they also don't have the nasty memory effect that ni-cads do. Leaving it on the charger shouldn't do any real damage to the battery.

Also, you can find the touchstone+back kits online at various places for $50 and cheaper. I believe Amazon even had it at $41 for both recently. They still might, though you might have to wait a few weeks for it to ship.

Any lithium ion battery/charger will have smart electronics for monitoring and maintaining the battery. If the charger doesn't do it, the battery will.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg