Options

The Palm Prē: Whatever the Touchstone touches stays touched

• Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This phone looks great. Definately on my shortlist.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    Is copy+paste really that hard to implement, anyway? I mean, I can't think of many basic functions much easier to code than that. It's even simpler than implementing text entry in the first place.

Apparently it is, I have to copy text like 3 times on Ubuntu before it'll actually go to clipboard, on any computer. And if you close the original program, it likes to clear the clipboard...

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It did that to me back in the 7.x days... not so much anymore.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    What do you need a smartphone for specifically?

If you want to be pedantic about it, you can get by with a phone that has all of the necessary functions by saving and stopping what you are doing, and then starting the next thing. Personally, I'd rather have msn running in the background, a couple of tabbed pages open in opera, and an email on the go when I get a notification that my next appointment is in 15 minutes. I don't want to have to close everything down when I get a call from another city that their server lost access to a printer if I can just open up rdp and fix it for them on the spot and then go right back to what I was doing. I could go on and on, but I shouldn't have to. If you can't figure out why multitasking on a phone is usedul, it isn't for you.

The Pre's new os looks pretty sharp, but I have a feeling it is going to be good and bad. There are plenty of treo users out there that are used to the customizability and app availability of windows mobile. It's a horrible os in general, but it still has its place. If they can pull off a stable, lighter clean os, with an sdk that is easy to use - a good portion of apps will come over if the the phone is a sales success. From what I've seen of preview videos, they still have some bugs to work out in the touch interface.

FryWulff - install glipper - it is essentially Klipper (~windows clipboard) for Gnome. It doesn't install by default. THe only time I have issues with cutnpaste in Ubuntu now is when using synergy and doing it across os'.

stigweard on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Lots of bullshit in here, going to try to address it all.

Let me actually rephrase: I don't actually give a shit about the arbitrary semantics of smartphone/not smartphone. I would just like to actually be able to do basic shit like replace my battery and swap memory cards without tearing the phone apart and putting it back together again.

And I don't like having to go through Apple for apps.

Now, have we discussed copy and paste? Yeah. Basic functions.

This I have to call bullshit on. Replacing the battery? This is the 21st century, you should not have to be worrying about batteries. I've never had a problem with my iPhone battery. It lasts a long ass time and I always put the phone on a dock at night so it's never really low on battery. I've NEVER had the phone completely drain of battery. And swapping memory cards? Jesus christ, how much data are you carrying ranger? 16 gB isn't enough? I could understand if you're carrying a lot of music and video and apps all at once, but before the iPhone smartphones never really had much media capability so I don't see how this was necessary even before the iPhone.

You don't like going through Apple for apps? What the fuck? Are you basically saying you don't like paying for apps? When you buy apps you're not buying them from Apple you're buying them from small third party developers. Apple is just a marketplace, that only takes 30% of profits from each app downloaded (I don't think you appreciate how good a deal that is). The App store has done so much good for the small developer. Most software startups fold very quickly because they fail to turn enough profits. The App store has iPhone developers shitting gold bricks.

And man, don't worry about copy and paste. When Steve Jobs announces it at WWDC '09 it will be met with such thunderous applause, that Apple's stock will probably go up a bit.

CmdPrompt wrote: »
    No wait I want to hear exactly what this dude needs a smartphone for

E-mail, instant messaging, tasks, calenders, etc. etc. on a mobile device.

All of which the iPhone does.

Evander wrote: »
    replace my battery.

hell yes.

this is a necessity with a cell phone.

Maybe on shitty cellphones running multiple applications at once and wasting battery life.
    stigweard wrote: »
    If you want to be pedantic about it, you can get by with a phone that has all of the necessary functions by saving and stopping what you are doing, and then starting the next thing. Personally, I'd rather have msn running in the background, a couple of tabbed pages open in opera, and an email on the go when I get a notification that my next appointment is in 15 minutes. I don't want to have to close everything down when I get a call from another city that their server lost access to a printer if I can just open up rdp and fix it for them on the spot and then go right back to what I was doing. I could go on and on, but I shouldn't have to. If you can't figure out why multitasking on a phone is usedul, it isn't for you.

Clearly you haven't used an iPhone because you CAN be on the phone with someone while using any app. The iPhone isn't incapable of multitasking, Apple just doesn't let third parties due it for a variety of good reasons.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Clearly you haven't used an iPhone because you CAN be on the phone with someone while using any app. The iPhone isn't incapable of multitasking, Apple just doesn't let third parties due it for a variety of good reasons.

I've already said, my experience is limited to setting them up because their method of only allowing you to change mail settings after it has been setup is ass backwards. I made the mistake of answering a call while setting up mail once and when I went back to it, I had to start over. That being said, you can have the browser, a doc, your calendar and notes open, switching between them freely and using them while on the phone? All open and with live data, not one at a time. If you can, I take it back, because it can properly multitask.

stigweard on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Replacing the battery? This is the 21st century, you should not have to be worrying about batteries.

I agree, yet my mp3 players from a certain company keep dying because they'll no longer hold a charge. I guess you'll have to explain to me how a non-replaceable battery is better for the consumer.

Fats on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This I have to call bullshit on. Replacing the battery? This is the 21st century, you should not have to be worrying about batteries.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. For one thing, how about if you have to go a long time without a charger and need to bring an extra battery along with you? For another thing, sorry, man, but batteries do often end up having problems. It's just the nature of the technology. Even your precious Apple can't magic that away. Googling "iPhone battery problems" should get you started.
    And swapping memory cards? Jesus christ, how much data are you carrying ranger? 16 gB isn't enough? I could understand if you're carrying a lot of music and video and apps all at once, but before the iPhone smartphones never really had much media capability so I don't see how this was necessary even before the iPhone.

So because the iPhone made media functionality important to the industry, no phone can ever be better at media functionality than the iPhone? What? And just so you know, I have over 50gb of MP3s, and that doesn't even get into videos or apps.
    You don't like going through Apple for apps? What the fuck? Are you basically saying you don't like paying for apps?

That's not at all what I said, actually, but thanks for putting words in my mouth.
    When you buy apps you're not buying them from Apple you're buying them from small third party developers. Apple is just a marketplace, that only takes 30% of profits from each app downloaded (I don't think you appreciate how good a deal that is).

No shit! Really, I, as an indie game developer, had no idea about any of that. Really.

If that sarcasm isn't thick enough for you, it's not the economic side of it that bugs me: It's the control Apple exerts.
    And man, don't worry about copy and paste. When Steve Jobs announces it at WWDC '09... (hyperbole so ridiculous I can't even stand to quote it)

If that happens it will be one bullet point taken care of. Doesn't make it any less fucking stupid that the iPhone doesn't already have it.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    replace my battery.

hell yes.

this is a necessity with a cell phone.

Maybe on shitty cellphones running multiple applications at once and wasting battery life.

Wow, you are pressed.

Rechargeable batteries die over time. When my battery dies (or if a new battery is released with a higher capacity) I want to be able to just swap it out myself, not have to replace the entire phone, or even go in to a store to do it. I've been putting batteries in things about as long as I've been able to walk. I don't need some "genius" to figure out how to swap my battery for me.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You don't like going through Apple for apps? What the fuck? Are you basically saying you don't like paying for apps? When you buy apps you're not buying them from Apple you're buying them from small third party developers. Apple is just a marketplace, that only takes 30% of profits from each app downloaded (I don't think you appreciate how good a deal that is). The App store has done so much good for the small developer. Most software startups fold very quickly because they fail to turn enough profits. The App store has iPhone developers shitting gold bricks.

I don't think you realize how shitty a deal that is.

With my WinMo phones I've always been able to buy programs from reliable sources (such as handmark) but I've also had access to all kinds of freeware and shareware from the developement community. There's the added layer there that HTC/MSoft doesn't have to pre-approve the apps that I install, so no one can say "you can't give away that functionality for free."

Evander on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

With my WinMo phones I've always been able to buy programs from reliable sources (such as handmark) but I've also had access to all kinds of freeware and shareware from the developement community. There's the added layer there that HTC/MSoft doesn't have to pre-approve the apps that I install, so no one can say "you can't give away that functionality for free."

if what obs said was true, there would be no reason to jailbreak iphone unless you needed illegal stuff on them.

oh whoops there are reasons to jailbreak because sometimes att and apple are cocks and block apps they dont like, Remember that one tethering app?

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    stigweard wrote: »

I've already said, my experience is limited to setting them up because their method of only allowing you to change mail settings after it has been setup is ass backwards. I made the mistake of answering a call while setting up mail once and when I went back to it, I had to start over. That being said, you can have the browser, a doc, your calendar and notes open, switching between them freely and using them while on the phone? All open and with live data, not one at a time. If you can, I take it back, because it can properly multitask.

Setting up mail isn't a big deal, it's not something you do so often that it totally takes away from the user experience when you get interrupted. I don't know why you had to start over, but don't rule out the possibility of user error.

And I cannot believe you absolutely need all those apps up and running and ready to go at the drop of a hat in order to function. You do not need all those apps wasting processing time and battery life. Seriously, what the fuck are you doing? There are not many situations where using applications one at a time in sequential order is not sufficient.

The iPhone can multi-task, it does run multiple system processes. You just can't run more than one application at a time. That is a design choice, not a technical limitation.

Fats wrote: »
    Replacing the battery? This is the 21st century, you should not have to be worrying about batteries.

I agree, yet my mp3 players from a certain company keep dying because they'll no longer hold a charge. I guess you'll have to explain to me how a non-replaceable battery is better for the consumer.

It makes things simpler and cleaner.

This I have to call bullshit on. Replacing the battery? This is the 21st century, you should not have to be worrying about batteries.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. For one thing, how about if you have to go a long time without a charger and need to bring an extra battery along with you? For another thing, sorry, man, but batteries do often end up having problems. It's just the nature of the technology. Even your precious Apple can't magic that away. Googling "iPhone battery problems" should get you started.

I suppose it would be useful, if you're going to the fucking woods. Otherwise I question the individual who would bring an extra battery but elect to leave behind a charger.

There's problems with any technology, iPhone batteries for the most part are pretty good, and by the time you start worrying about the battery there will be newer better iPhones out to buy anyway. I'm sure if I google "______ is a piece of shit" I'd get a lot of results too.

And swapping memory cards? Jesus christ, how much data are you carrying ranger? 16 gB isn't enough? I could understand if you're carrying a lot of music and video and apps all at once, but before the iPhone smartphones never really had much media capability so I don't see how this was necessary even before the iPhone.

So because the iPhone made media functionality important to the industry, no phone can ever be better at media functionality than the iPhone? What? And just so you know, I have over 50gb of MP3s, and that doesn't even get into videos or apps.

No, I'm saying before iPhone media functionality on a smartphone wasn't important.
    You don't like going through Apple for apps? What the fuck? Are you basically saying you don't like paying for apps?

That's not at all what I said, actually, but thanks for putting words in my mouth.
    When you buy apps you're not buying them from Apple you're buying them from small third party developers. Apple is just a marketplace, that only takes 30% of profits from each app downloaded (I don't think you appreciate how good a deal that is).

No shit! Really, I, as an indie game developer, had no idea about any of that. Really.

If that sarcasm isn't thick enough for you, it's not the economic side of it that bugs me: It's the control Apple exerts.

The control that Apple exerts? Do you have a chip on your shoulder or something? Apple doesn't exactly have an oppressive history even if they do have a lot of control, the decision so far to disallow certain apps is perfectly reasonable.

And man, don't worry about copy and paste. When Steve Jobs announces it at WWDC '09... (hyperbole so ridiculous I can't even stand to quote it)

If that happens it will be one bullet point taken care of. Doesn't make it any less fucking stupid that the iPhone doesn't already have it.

Doesn't matter.

Developers can give anything away for free on the iPhone. Just as long as apple approves it.

Look, this really isn't a big deal as you guys are making it out to be.

Obs on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Before we end up with an intractable flamewar, perhaps we can agree on a few things:

People have different needs and priorities for a mobile device. They tend to fall between two poles, represented quite well by the iPhone and the agglomeration of phones running Windows Mobile. The former puts seamlessness of both form and function solidly over flexibility, while the latter does the reverse.

So. There are plenty of tradeoffs, and I think few of us find our choice fits our needs one hundred percent. But there is no point in attempting to convince other people that their needs are wrong, that they actually need something else -- I have never needed to replace a phone battery, ever, but that's because I'm not making sales calls in the field eight hours a day. I can't convince the sales guy he doesn't need a replaceable battery, and he can't convince me I do.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Before we end up with an intractable flamewar, perhaps we can agree on a few things:

People have different needs and priorities for a mobile device. They tend to fall between two poles, represented quite well by the iPhone and the agglomeration of phones running Windows Mobile. The former puts seamlessness of both form and function solidly over flexibility, while the latter does the reverse.

So. There are plenty of tradeoffs, and I think few of us find our choice fits our needs one hundred percent. But there is no point in attempting to convince other people that their needs are wrong, that they actually need something else -- I have never needed to replace a phone battery, ever, but that's because I'm not making sales calls in the field eight hours a day. I can't convince the sales guy he doesn't need a replaceable battery, and he can't convince me I do.

Bingo. I actually like the iPhone and think it is fine for plenty of people. I just don't care to buy one myself, because their are certain things I want/need that Apple didn't include. And some of those, it seems, they have no intention to include at any point in the future. (See: Physical keyboard.)

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Bingo. I actually like the iPhone and think it is fine for plenty of people. I just don't care to buy one myself, because their are certain things I want/need that Apple didn't include. And some of those, it seems, they have no intention to include at any point in the future. (See: Physical keyboard.)

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I just think the lack of physical keyboard thing is such a bullshit reason to not like the iPhone.

Obs on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just think the lack of physical keyboard thing is such a bullshit reason to not like the iPhone.

That's your opinion. It's still a legitimate reason why I will never get an iPhone.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

You think anything is a bullshit reason not to like the iPhone. Maybe you should found a religion.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

You think anything is a bullshit reason not to like the iPhone. Maybe you should found a religion.

There are some reasons.

Obs on
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    See I think the lack of a physical keyboard is a major reason to not get an iPhone. I'm no stranger to that device, two of my best friends own them, and I've spent plenty of time with them. I don't really care for touchscreen keyboards, at all. Fuck em. That's why I'm getting a G1. Along with the open source nature of android, I really do feel that the phones functionality has a much higher ceiling then that of the iPhone.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Android is basically going to end up like Windows Mobile. Sorry to break it to you duders.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Being widespread and on several phones, sweet.

What are you, a fucking soothsayer?

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I can agree with that.

My only fear is that the popularity of the iPhone will spawn too many copy-cats (like in the PMP market) and suddenly the features that I want in a phone won't even be offered anymore, because all of the suppliers will be too busy trying to meet the demand of the iPhone crowd.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

and I think something being shiny is a bullshit reason to go out and buy it.

So, yeah

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Setting up mail isn't a big deal, it's not something you do so often that it totally takes away from the user experience when you get interrupted. I don't know why you had to start over, but don't rule out the possibility of user error.

I've already explained why earlier in the thread.
    And I cannot believe you absolutely need all those apps up and running and ready to go at the drop of a hat in order to function. You do not need all those apps wasting processing time and battery life. Seriously, what the fuck are you doing? There are not many situations where using applications one at a time in sequential order is not sufficient.

You can't believe it so it can't possibly be true. I guess that explains why you cannot see the utility in proper multitaksing on a phone. Or, you are trolling. Either way, I've assisted in derailing the thread enough.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Natheo wrote: »
    Being-

Being a piece of shit. Windows Mobile is a terrible OS.

I'm done with this thread.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Windows Mobile is a terrible OS.

How so? It does everything I need it to do.

It even has Copy/Paste

Evander on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thank. Fucking. God.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It even has Copy/Paste

Because it's not the OS the iPhone uses, obviously. God, haven't you been paying attention?

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It even has Copy/Paste

Because it's not the OS the iPhone uses, obviously. God, haven't you been paying attention?

I'm actually curious.

People put it down a lot, so I want to know if there's an actually issue there, or if it's just M$ hate.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Eh, as I've said earlier, some people would like to be able to edit documents on there phone, use it to actually get work done, etc.

Some would just rather watch youtube videos.

Windows Mobile is somewhat dated, with the browser being the worst aspect of it. I guess that's where all the hate comes from, even though it can be upgraded.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    oh

I have an opera browser on my phone, so I guess that's why I don't care.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    See, whatever.

I guess they just don't feel as fancy when they use it.

They don't feel like they are part of a community of device users.

See I guess it really bugs me when people complain about ease of use so much. I've never used a phone that was particularly complicated.

Apparently, according to Obs, I'm fucking delusional for thinking anyone would want to edit documents on a phone. My bad.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RhapsodyRhapsody Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thank. Fucking. God.

Rhapsody on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

It even has Copy/Paste

I'm actually curious.

People put it down a lot, so I want to know if there's an actually issue there, or if it's just M$ hate.

Well windows mobile is very slow for a mobile OS. The browser is very dated as said above. Programs actually had a bit of a painful process to stop them running without you're say so. Also and strangest of all, it doesn't like being a phone, I had the most difficult experiences trying to actually make a call because the OS kept thinking i was performing illegal operations.

Not that Apple's OS is any better locking the consumer out of any useful feature, only to charge you that feature at a later date.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It is true that WinMo was designed for PDAs, not cell phones.

OremLK on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm astonished at what took place here. Mostly at Obs inability to understand that other people's needs do not equal his own, and that people have different preferences.

My fiance has an iPhone. I hate it. Having owned a Treo awhile ago, and used the iPhone extensively, I prefer a physical keyboard. That must make me a monster. I also like the customization I get with WM, using whatever browser I want, and having access to free homebrew apps that won't get rejected by a higher power. I admit WM has faults (a ton of them), so why can't Obs admit that the iPhone has faults? Lack of copy/paste, to some, is a fault. Saying that not having a feature until a few months from now would negate the lack of said feature for a year and a half is just stupid. Anyone who claims that is dumb and should feel bad.

With my fiance's iPhone I can't: Browse files in a traditional way, copy/paste, save downloads to the device and later open them with a file explorer, edit documents (word, powerpoint, excel), replace a battery, insert a memory card.

Why would I want to replace a battery? What if I have more than one for long trips or areas away from an outlet? What if as a backup because I forgot to charge the night before? People tell me the form would be affected. Bullshit, my crappy little $50 phone has a replaceable battery, and the seams are perfectly hidden and don't detract from the design.

Would would I want a memory card? Maybe to take my camera card, and copy them directly to my device, as I use a PDA/Smartphone as a mobile computer. Copy things to other computers with a card. Share data with other people that have cards.

Sorry to bring this shit back up. I hope it's over. This Palm device looks nice, and I'm interested. I see a smartphone for me in the future. Ultimately, the main thing that got me to never consider buying an iPhone was actually using an iPhone.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It is true that WinMo was designed for PDAs, not cell phones.

yeah, I guess that's why it doesn't really bother me, since I'm so used to it from my ol iPAQ

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Lots of bullshit in here, going to try to address it all.

Let me actually rephrase: I don't actually give a shit about the arbitrary semantics of smartphone/not smartphone. I would just like to actually be able to do basic shit like replace my battery and swap memory cards without tearing the phone apart and putting it back together again.

And I don't like having to go through Apple for apps.

Now, have we discussed copy and paste? Yeah. Basic functions.

This I have to call bullshit on. Replacing the battery? This is the 21st century, you should not have to be worrying about batteries. I've never had a problem with my iPhone battery. It lasts a long ass time and I always put the phone on a dock at night so it's never really low on battery. I've NEVER had the phone completely drain of battery. And swapping memory cards? Jesus christ, how much data are you carrying ranger? 16 gB isn't enough? I could understand if you're carrying a lot of music and video and apps all at once, but before the iPhone smartphones never really had much media capability so I don't see how this was necessary even before the iPhone.

You realise, in the 21st century, we use Lithium Ion batteries, which degrade over time?

You realise, in the 21st century, that people don't always have access to they docks overnight?

You realise, in the 21st century, data can get pretty big?

Your arguments are so fucking stupid. A guy lists the things he wants/needs and your response is that because the iPhone doesn't have them, HE CANNOT POSSIBLY WANT THEM!

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It even has Copy/Paste

I'm actually curious.

Its got issues. Its not really designed as a phone UI, so you have this fiddly start menu/scroll bars that are really thin that require a stylus, an extremely barebones and ugly file manager. It basically needs a UI replacement.

JohnDoe on