Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »
    Windows Mobile is a terrible OS.

How so? It does everything I need it to do.

It even has Copy/Paste

Because it's not the OS the iPhone uses, obviously. God, haven't you been paying attention?

I'm actually curious.

People put it down a lot, so I want to know if there's an actually issue there, or if it's just M$ hate.

Its got issues. Its not really designed as a phone UI, so you have this fiddly start menu/scroll bars that are really thin that require a stylus, an extremely barebones and ugly file manager. It basically needs a UI replacement.
    Yeah, this basically. The OS was indeed designed for PDAs, so it's understandable that it works best with a stylus. However, now that it's basically being used on phones more than PDAs, it needs an overhaul.

The thing is, functionally, it's a great mobile OS, and it does basically everything I could ask for and more. The main problem is just that everything is so slow and clunky, even on relatively powerful phones. If you could have the functionality of Windows Mobile with the interface of an iPhone, you'd really have something special. I'm really hoping Palm's new OS can bridge that gap a bit.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Obs is still reading this thread apparently, he just sent me a PM saying "Fuck you." Aww, the poor baby.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    To be fair, we probably don't need to turn the thread into a big circle jerk on how everyone thought he was being a dumbass. He's stopped, case closed, let's get back on topic. To help, I'll post a pic of the phone.

prebackfront_sc.jpg

Shiny

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    To be fair, we probably don't need to turn the thread into a big circle jerk on how everyone thought he was being a dumbass. He's stopped, case closed, let's get back on topic. To help, I'll post a pic of the phone.

prebackfront_sc.jpg

Shiny

I would prefer less rounding, but I suppose companies are trying to make things look more "organic" than pieces of technology. I prefer my technology as technology, but I think I'm in a shrinking minority.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No, I know what you mean. I like hard lines and angles, myself. Makes a device look like it means business.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    While I agree that hard lines usually look better in pictures, the rounding and curves actually feels pretty nice when you actually pick the thing up.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Exactly. Like my Zune 120 black? So awesome. I tried a background image but it ruined the nice crisp white on black look when it was on. And when it's off, it's just slick. I love the HTC Touch Pro since it's almost exactly similar to the Zune in it's style.

120gb_zune.jpg
    htc-touch-pro.jpg

And my new work blackberry, Nextel 8350i. I could do without the yellow, but it's black enough I guess. :D
    536110.jpg

CmdPrompt wrote: »
    While I agree that hard lines usually look better in pictures, the rounding and curves actually feels pretty nice when you actually pick the thing up.

It's probably just me being butterfingers, but hard edges give me something to grasp, where curved stuff I feel like I'm going to drop them. And I don't have fat fingers either, it's just a feeling I get when I pick up stuff that is rounded off.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    My only complaint is that the OS looks too much like OSX. The HTC looks pretty fucking slick, but it doesn't seem as pocketable as the Pre.

This is all conjecture at the moment, though.

Edit: And also very pointless for me to speculate on, since I'll never own one.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I will be honest: I like the way the newest Blackberry devices look more than the iPhone. The appearance exudes utility.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    CmdPrompt wrote: »

I've got big hands (eight inches heel to tip, ten inches across when spread.)

they are making these devices far too tiny for me these days to begin with, but the gloss finishes and the rounded corners and edges just mean that I am going to drop the thing.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    I will be honest: I like the way the newest Blackberry devices look more than the iPhone. The appearance exudes utility.

My only wish is that they would make a touch screen version of the curve/bold. They have huge icons right there on the screen. I just want to reach out and touch them. :D

That's why I'm interested in the Pre, because it's got the full keyboard as well as the touch screen with large buttons/inputs that allows for easier thumb/finger control.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, the Pre could be a pretty awesome alternative to whatever the next best Android device is this year. Time will tell.

OremLK on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If I already didn't have an iPhone Id be looking at this. I really like the look of the UI.

As far as the last few pages of the thread, I think its safe to say you should buy the phone that meets your needs, and be damned about whatever anybody else is buying. Competition is good for everybody, innovation, yadda yadda.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Natheo wrote: »
    Being widespread and on several phones, sweet.

What are you, a fucking soothsayer?

buyers remorse?

Anyways, my current contract ends in a few months, and this phone looks very interesting. Never cared much about apple, only had a shuffle that died after a year.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You honestly think I have buyers remorse over my g1. Damn, I wish I could have an iPhone with no physical keyboard, no expandable memory, and apps that I have to pay for. And a more expensive plan.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And a more expensive plan.

At first I was like "wait a second, how much?" as I thought everyone's high-speed data plans pretty much hovered around AT&T's $70. Then I went to the T-Mobile site to price out the cheapest option, and if I'm not missing something, it looks like you can actually get a decent plan with unlimited 3G data for $55. Is that really possible?

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

At first I was like "wait a second, how much?" as I thought everyone's high-speed data plans pretty much hovered around AT&T's $70. Then I went to the T-Mobile site to price out the cheapest option, and if I'm not missing something, it looks like you can actually get a decent plan with unlimited 3G data for $55. Is that really possible?

Yep, that's what I pay. If you don't need much in the way of voice minutes it's great.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

man, I get unlimited Sprint Broadband-speed stuff for $30 a month. (with 500 minutes, and unlimited texts as well)

AT&T doesn't have great deals, they have the popular phone.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    man, I get unlimited Sprint Broadband-speed stuff for $30 a month. (with 500 minutes, and unlimited texts as well)

SERO doesn't count. emot-colbert.gif

Fats on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fats wrote: »

why not? because it is too awesome?

Evander on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009

He loses his argument based solely on using that stupid smiley.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Because I missed it by a month and I'm still angry. Though I've heard Sprint may try to exclude the Pre from the plan like they did with the Instinct.
    FyreWulff wrote:

emot-smugdog.gifemot-pipe.gif

Fats on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Because I missed it by a month and I'm still angry. Though I've heard Sprint may try to exclude the Pre from the plan like they did with the Instinct.
    FyreWulff wrote:

emot-smugdog.gifemot-pipe.gif

Awwww. (Seriously though, that crossarm smiley is overused)

edit: re: earlier. I would think rounded edges would allow it to take drops a lot better than flat corners

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    this is why I use my own personal emoticon. It seriously prevents overuse.

evandermoticon.gif

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Quick, everyone steal Evander's emoticon!

evandermoticon.gif

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Quick, everyone steal Evander's emoticon!

evandermoticon.gif

now you're just using my bandwidth

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    A slightly annoying video containing a few succulent morsels of new information

The guy with the incongruous hair is an investor who helped fund the Pre's development and he mentions a few things that haven't been released yet, such as...

If you have a calendar appointment with a location, the GPS system can tell you're too far away from the place to make it there in time, it will not only alert you but you can set it up to automatically send an e-mail to people warning them that you're running late.

Because it's the future.

--edit--

evandermoticon.gif

valar-moreshellus.png
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    it will ... automatically send an e-mail to people warning them that you're running late.

...it's the future.

Sounds like terminator programming.
    1. tell owner's employer that owner will totally be late for that important meeting, because it's 3am and he's passed out behind the strip club
    2. launch ICBMs against Russia
    3. terminate John Connor
    evandermoticon.gif

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I like how the guy was basically, "Yeah, it's great that Steve Jobs happened to be fucking dying this year, made things easier for us."

Still, I want this phone, it gives me a boner.

evandermoticon.gif

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's too bad my renewal doesn't come until 2010. Unless this thing is gonna be less than $250.
    Seeks wrote:
    Still, I want this phone, it gives me a boner.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Completely different topic: Why put the keyboard in portrait mode? Seems like it gives a lot less horizontal space for both the keyboard and the screen, and if you're writing emails or such you'd want the room..

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Completely different topic: Why put the keyboard in portrait mode? Seems like it gives a lot less horizontal space for both the keyboard and the screen, and if you're writing emails or such you'd want the room..
    What? I mean, I'm not a fan of Palm's style of keyboards or the portrait mode layout, but I imagine it would have fucked with the form factor to put in a full landscape keyboard. Almost all the phones I see with those are bricks. I certainly prefer the HTC style landscape keyboards, but I'm not averse to what the Pre is offering if it's as reasonable to use as their previous offerings and fits well in my pocket.

What it loses in horizontal space it makes up for in vertical space. There are just a handful more line breaks. I can't really imagine that being a dealbreaker for anyone.

JAEF on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    What? I mean, I'm not a fan of Palm's style of keyboards or the portrait mode layout, but I imagine it would have fucked with the form factor to put in a full landscape keyboard. Almost all the phones I see with those are bricks. I certainly prefer the HTC style landscape keyboards, but I'm not averse to what the Pre is offering if it's as reasonable to use as their previous offerings and fits well in my pocket.

What it loses in horizontal space it makes up for in vertical space. There are just a handful more line breaks. I can't really imagine that being a dealbreaker for anyone.

Vertical (non-landscape) sliding phones are irritating. Not only do they typically not fit properly in the hands of anyone other than a dainty woman, they're also irritating in that you have to maneuver them ever so carefully as to not have the keyboard close while you're typing. I also hate sliders, as many of them will automatically hang up on you if you close the slide and offer no option to disable this.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've used portrait keyboard, on BlackBerry, and landscape keyboards, on an HTC Mogul. I much, much prefer the portrait keyboard on the BlackBerry. I feel that in landscape mode your thumbs have to travel farther, and my hands feel almost too far apart. It just felt more awkward.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited January 2009

it's because that's how the treo keyboards have been, and they want to keep some similarities with their previous devices, I imagine.

Also, I approve of the new title

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Uh-oh... patent trouble.

Remember how when the iPhone was first announced, Apple bragged about how they patented the crap out of it? Seems Apple is getting a little chafey at the Pre.

First, they started making veiled threats:
    We approach this business as a software platform business. We are watching the landscape. We like competition as long as they don’t rip off our IP. And if they do, we will go after anyone who does.

But now here's Palm, making veiled references to a hypothetical big stick they might hypothetically be carrying:
    Palm has a long history of innovation that is reflected in our products and robust patent portfolio, and we have long been recognized for our fundamental patents in the mobile space. If faced with legal action, we are confident that we have the tools necessary to defend ourselves.

"Fundamental patents in the mobile space." Them's polite and gentlemanly fightin' words.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Uh-oh... patent trouble.

Remember how when the iPhone was first announced, Apple bragged about how they patented the crap out of it? Seems Apple is getting a little chafey at the Pre.

First, they started making veiled threats:
    We approach this business as a software platform business. We are watching the landscape. We like competition as long as they don’t rip off our IP. And if they do, we will go after anyone who does.

But now here's Palm, making veiled references to a hypothetical big stick they might hypothetically be carrying:
    Palm has a long history of innovation that is reflected in our products and robust patent portfolio, and we have long been recognized for our fundamental patents in the mobile space. If faced with legal action, we are confident that we have the tools necessary to defend ourselves.

"Fundamental patents in the mobile space." Them's polite and gentlemanly fightin' words.

Yeah, I remember seeing these stories on Engadget and it humored me that these two companies are using fighting words. :) "Don't tread on our patents!" "Well, you are practically treading on ours, so don't sue us and we won't sue you!"

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    sounds great to me!
    especially apple, threatening its competition

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sounds like whenever someone tries to sue IBM with patent infringement.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's just dickwaving. The most that will come of it is some behind the scenes settlement that won't affect the launch of the phone. The only real potential problem is if Palm includes a sample song with lyrics from the Qur'an on the Pre. God help us all.

What a shitty top of the page. To make up for it here's the best FAQ on the Pre I've seen so far: Bonk

Some highlights:
    • Newsweek's Dan Lyons got a confirmation from Palm officials that the phone will, in fact, support Flash. Bottom of this page
    • Any app will be able to run in the background, not just official Palm apps (unlike the iPhone's restrictions) and Palm estimates 15-20 apps to be comfortably run at a time.
    • Apps for the store will go through screening, but rather than a sort of "Quality Control" filter like Apple's random bullshit Palm has said it's primarily for stability and security exploit control.
    • Doesn't look like the public SDK will allow access to the full hardware of the phone which means that there's a much more limited ability for programming things like 3D games or programs that utilize core functionality like GPS. This is a huge sadface for me but there's always a possibility for specialty SDKs to be available that do give access, this could still end up all over the map in terms of app access restrictions and content delivery anywhere from "The Serious Gay" to "Not nearly as bad as we thought, this is still going to be cool"

Gritting my teeth with hopeful expectation.

Edit: Wow can't believe I forgot to close those tags for this long. Obs, your face is dumb and full of spiders.

JAEF on