The Palm Prē: Whatever the Touchstone touches stays touched

• Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Apple just won the multi-touch patent.

Palm is devastated.

Obs on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wonder how many patents palm has concerning handheld devices

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    meh, there are many multitouch patents, and Apple's patent means nothing right now other than it means they don't have to keep "patent pending" on the iPhone/iPod Touch devices.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Have you guys seen these rumors that the Pre could be releasing as soon as mid February? Not that I think it's true, but it'd be pretty crazy if it were.

EDIT - Also, this patent stuff is so stupid. If Apple pursues this farther, I hope Palm rips them a new one with some of their own patents.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Have you guys seen these rumors that the Pre could be releasing as soon as mid February? Not that I think it's true, but it'd be pretty crazy if it were.

EDIT - Also, this patent stuff is so stupid. If Apple pursues this farther, I hope Palm rips them a new one with some of their own patents.
    When the company's spokespeople say that it won't be out until ~June, I'm not holding my hopes for anything earlier than May.

JAEF on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Let's hope this doesn't come to blows.

A patent fight is in neither Apple's or Palm's (and certainly not our) interest, and there's no doubt the big guns would come out in a case such as this. Ideally this will be settled quietly in the back room like the iPhone trademark was between Apple and Linksys. Remember that?

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Let's hope this doesn't come to blows.

A patent fight is in neither Apple's or Palm's (and certainly not our) interest, and there's no doubt the big guns would come out in a case such as this. Ideally this will be settled quietly in the back room like the iPhone trademark was between Apple and Linksys. Remember that?

You're probably right.

The only difference here is that Apple and Palm are actually competing with each other, this isn't just a case of a trademark holder from another industry cashing in on success.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Engadget has a wonderful writeup about the different patents that could be in consideration between Palm and Apple.

I just finished the Apple's patents side, and I'm now reading the Palm patent side, and it's really well explained with videos of the features and stuff.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Good article. It seems like Apple has more to worry about concerning patent infringement than Palm does. Just the Palm patents they listed in that article have clearly been used on the iPhone, and like they said, there are certainly many others.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's definitely a catch-22 problem for both companies. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I stick by my statement at the top of this page. It's like a married couple trying to blackmail each other for sleeping with the same touch screen hussy.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    It's definitely a catch-22 problem for both companies. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I highly doubt Apple would fire the first shot here. They have less ammunition, and more to lose.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Evander wrote: »

I highly doubt Apple would fire the first shot here. They have less ammunition, and more to lose.

True, but I doubt Palm is going to do anything because they want to get this thing on the market and hope to recapture some of their lost marketshare.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Evander wrote: »

At the same time, Palm's health means if it gets hit, it's going to go down a lot faster than Apple.

I think the only solution here is for both desperadoes to slowly move their revolvers back to their holsters at exactly the same time.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd rather it come to blows and have the potential to see apple get nailed to the fucking wall.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    it's not likely to go to court. this situation would be similar to a microsoft vs ibm where there are so many shared techs that they eventually just decide to not sue each other.

noweat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    Buttons are better because it lets me type without staring at the keys, such as what I'm doing right now.

It's downright amazing.

Once I get started I can type on the iphone without looking.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Suds wrote: »
    Seeks wrote: »
    Buttons are better because it lets me type without staring at the keys, such as what I'm doing right now.

It's downright amazing.

Once I get started I can type on the iphone without looking.

Younger generations are better at this. Only old foggies have to look at the screen as they type on an iPhone.

Obs on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm assuming a "foggie" is some sort of fog enthusiast, in which case it'd probably be hard to use a touchscreen with all that moisture in the air.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    fogie

Really anyone who can't look away from their screen and still continue to type on their iPhone without any physical help probably has not developed the mental acuity for such a 21st century task. It's like people who need to have letters on their keys to use a keyboard. You think my keyboard has printed letters? Fuck no my shit is completely blank. Has been for years.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't really disagree with you, but in the end it's really about what someone prefers to use and I'm not sure they deserve to be insulted for that.

Anyway, this'll all be moot when Palm reveals that the keyboard was only a prop to keep the Pre's telepathic controls secret.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    fogie

Really anyone who can't look away from their screen and still continue to type on their iPhone without any physical help probably has not developed the mental acuity for such a 21st century task. It's like people who need to have letters on their keys to use a keyboard. You think my keyboard has printed letters? Fuck no my shit is completely blank. Has been for years.
    I thought you were done with this thread.

Also, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Sadly, I don't think you are.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Seriously Obs you can be such a stupid fucking idiot sometimes.

And I take it that the title references the engadget post?

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shut up man, only fags need letters.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    fogie

It is ridiculous to compare typing on smooth unmarked surface to typing on a tactilely responsive keyboard. You really expect a majority of people to be able to type on a glass surface that has no physical reference for your typing fingers to use without looking at the screen?

Really Obs?

JAEF on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Natheo wrote: »

More like all the time.

Its funny that he came back to this thread after having a cry and running off earlier.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, how about a video with Palm's Vice President of design? Looks neat.

Fats on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JohnDoe wrote: »

More like all the time.

Its funny that he came back to this thread after having a cry and running off earlier.

Just stick him on your ignore list. he never says anything relevant anyway.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ben0207 wrote: »

More like all the time.

If I ignore him, won't I still be stuck looking at quote trees with his name in them?

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    archonwarp wrote: »

More like all the time.

If I ignore him, won't I still be stuck looking at quote trees with his name in them?

Yes, and let me tell you something, I didn't run away "to have a good cry", I ran because the thread was getting shitty.

But threads change. This thread is hardly the same thread it used to be. It's like a whole new thread. New title and everything.

In other news, can someone list the patented technologies that Apple has stolen from Palm?

Obs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Nope, it's still a thread about the Palm Pre.

And seriously, obs, the fucking thread title, that I know you acknowledged, references a fucking engadget post, like I pointed out earlier, that answers your last line there.

Come the fuck on.

Here's the link. Again. http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/28/apple-vs-palm-the-in-depth-analysis/

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

More like all the time.

Yes, and let me tell you something, I didn't run away "to have a good cry", I ran because the thread was getting shitty.

But threads change. This thread is hardly the same thread it used to be. It's like a whole new thread. New title and everything.

In other news, can someone list the patented technologies that Apple has stolen from Palm?

It was shitty because people were talking about the Pre and not about how the iPhone is "like totally omfg awesomez".

Which caused you to have a cry, run off and start sending "fuck you" pms to people.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Duders, let's calm down.

I think Obs often speaks kernels of truth, amplified 100x. Just read Obs' posts like you would watch a Yahtzee review and all will be cool.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I got one of those little guys too.
    Obs wrote:
    Eh, as I've said earlier, some people would like to be able to edit documents on there phone, use it to actually get work done, etc.

No they really don't. You are fucking delusional if you think anyone wants to run the equivalent of MSword on a god damn phone.

A delusional motherfucker.

Reverend Doctor he is diminishing the quality of these forums on several fronts and causing me to make angry frothing at the mouth posts in retaliation.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Duders, let's calm down.

I think Obs often speaks kernels of truth, amplified 100x. Just read Obs' posts like you would watch a Yahtzee review and all will be cool.

yahtzee is funny, though

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

More like all the time.

If you use Greasemonkey you could install the script in my sig, change the ignored user from Clawshrimpy (it was made primarily for the denizens of the anime thread) to Obs, and it'll nuke the quote trees as well as his posts. It won't even show the "post by <user> was ignored" bullshit. You don't have to put him on your PA ignore list, either (in fact, it won't work if he is). So you open it up in a text editor (a plain text editor) after it's installed, find the line that says:
    var users = new Array("Clawshrimpy")

and change Clawshrimpy to Obs. The current version is a beta, but I've been using it for about two weeks and so have a couple of testers who volunteered and it hasn't raped anyone's dog or something of that nature.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Obs is hilarious. He has no clue when he's acting like an idiot (almost always), hence the text with his avatar. He is also completely unable to acknolwedge or recognize that different people have different needs, and *surprise* not everyone is satisfied with the iPhone.

As to who would edit Word, Powerpoint, and Excel documents on a smartphone/pda? I would, and have. So do alot of others - people who need to do actual work.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Alright guys, well I'll just say I am sorry if I have caused you any offense.

I will post less.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Obs ... has no clue when he's acting like an idiot (almost always), hence the text with his avatar.

his problem

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    is it a medical condition?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg