As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Al Jazeera in English

ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hey,

Clicky Here

Al Jazeera opens English language Network.

Good?, Bad?, Indifferent?

I already check the English version webpage almost daily but I think that if nothing else this might allow some of those more lazy about seeking out info to get some new perspective on world events.

edit: fixed for H-scroll + sry

edit2: more info, here

quote:

That independence has caused controversy. Al Jazeera's reporters were barred from Bahrain for several years because the Bahraini government felt that the station was biased toward Israel. Algeria and Morocco have limited reporters' activities because of anti-government stories. And because they've given a platform to exiled dissidents, they've angered the governments of Jordan and Kuwait, as well as the Palestinian Authority. They regularly talk to Israeli government spokespeople.

And their coverage of Iraq has angered the US. The most common criticism of Al Jazeera is that is aired tapes of terrorists beheading people; this is, actually, not true. They've also been criticized for airing tapes from Osama bin Laden and from Iraqi insurgent leaders. (Al Jazeera's response to criticism is that they are airing these things without comment as part of their news coverage.)

Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
ALocksly on

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned. Whether I actually watch it, or whether Charter will carry it, is another matter entirely, but I am in no way against seeing them take a shot at cracking the market.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Now, on topic. I think this is a great idea, and I'd probably watch it from time to time. I think often Al Jazeera is the Fox News of the Arab world, but perhaps if people could see it in English people might realize that there are like a billion people who see our involvement in the Arab world differently than we do, and why.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2006
    I liked that they made the new venture independent of the Arabic channel. They'll find it tough to get distribution here in the US, but their target audience is the English speaking Muslim audience in Asia. Their main competition is CNN International.

It's good that Al Jazeera to try to get into the international market while the international market is trying to gets into its home turf. I'm very interested in seeing how the Arabic BBC news channel will turn out.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Is there a place where I can watch this already? Or rather, what is this project's website?

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I read about this in the paper today. The English Al Jazeera network is going worldwide (assuming the world doesn't include North America :P).

I think it's good. Hopefully it will give a push for more complete and balanced coverage, rather than the black and white "we're always the good guys and they're always the bad guys" view that dominates certain American news networks.

They intend to apply for broadcasting in Canada shortly after their worldwide launch. The Arabic network had already been approved with conditions (24-hour monitoring to be sure their broadcast didn't include hateful propaganda), but they were unable to fulfill these conditions (getting enough Arab-speakers to fill a 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week schedule is apparently expensive). They apparently face a more uphill battle in the US, where a strong prejudice against Al Jazeera is found, fuelled in part by a certain fair and balanced news network which "reported" that AJ broadcasts the beheadings of Americans by terrorists (they don't and never did) and other interesting "facts".

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    Is there a place where I can watch this already? Or rather, what is this project's website?
    The regular homepage, and you can't watch it there.

It's available for monies, on VDC.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    AJI promises to outshine its competitors — such as CNN International and BBC World Service — with a mix of high-definition bells and whistles and an unusual 24-hour news rotation — four hours anchored from Washington, four from London, four from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and 12 from company headquarters in Doha, Qatar. In fact, one of the glitches that slowed the opening-day broadcast date is that AJI has gone digital, doing away with all tape and video, giving journalists desktop access to everything.

"We will cover Asia from within Asia, the Middle East from within the Middle East, Europe from within Europe and the Americas from within the Americas," said Stebbins, who captains a small army of 140 at a new high-tech studio on K Street in Washington. "There has been nothing like it before, so we believe we will be in a league of our own. It will be nothing short of a reversal of the global flow of information."

Does anyone think this is significant? Seems to me it could be interesting - you could canvass opinions, reactions, events globally - and I imagine the dynamic of reporting when you live in an area is far different when you are visiting.

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I don't know if their reliance on freelance reporters will be an asset or a liability. I like it, because their reporters won't all sound like robots, but I'm not sure how good the quality will be.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    are they still going to to show the really gruesome stuff (like beheadings and stuff) like they have been with their arabic channel? I'm not sure if theres too much of a worldwide market for that kinda thing if they're gonna continue to do that

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    are they still going to to show the really gruesome stuff (like beheadings and stuff) like they have been with their arabic channel? I'm not sure if theres too much of a worldwide market for that kinda thing if they're gonna continue to do that
    They don't show beheadings.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    dlinfiniti wrote:

see Richys post above

edit: I poked around some and all the blogs I found claiming that Al Jazzera showed a beheading were actually referencing the network breaking a story about a website that was showing the beheading. They did not show the video themselves nor provide a link to the site.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Found this cool promo on YouTube...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=EIVikteiQj8

They certainly seem serious about challenging the other media giants. :)

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Oh fuck yes!

My international (FTA) satellite gets it! Whooooooooooo!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    BandettaBandetta Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Richy wrote:
    Hopefully it will give a push for more complete and balanced coverage, rather than the black and white "we're always the good guys and they're always the bad guys" view that dominates certain American news networks.

You're looking for balanced coverage from Al Jazeera?

Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but that is not the impression I have gotten from their antics in the past.

Bandetta on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    "Countdown to launch: 02: 19: 32"

Mmmmmm.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I would like to declare telstar5_ku/11998/Hor/20000 the best frequency ever.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    Hopefully it will give a push for more complete and balanced coverage, rather than the black and white "we're always the good guys and they're always the bad guys" view that dominates certain American news networks.

Maybe there's something I'm missing here, but that is not the impression I have gotten from their antics in the past.

They're at least as fair as any other news agency I've heard. Try to remember that these people have pissed off more Arab regimes than any western media - mainly for reporting their crimes and corruption.

When it comes to news reporting - if no-one is pissed at you, you're not doing your job properly.

Gorak on
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Bandetta wrote:
    Richy wrote:

Now, when you say "their antics in the past", do you mean something they actually did, or something a secondhand report on American TV news vaguely mentioning them doing?

Just curious.

mcc on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Gorak wrote:
    Bandetta wrote:
    Richy wrote:

They're at least as fair as any other news agency I've heard. Try to remember that these people have pissed off more Arab regimes than any western media - mainly for reporting their crimes and corruption.

When it comes to news reporting - if no-one is pissed at you, you're not doing your job properly.
    Indeed. I love nothing more than a station that pisses on Arab governments. They deserve every bit of criticism they get.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    One hour till launch!

I'll have some tea ready, by then. No, chai.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hmm. Found this cool documentary, too. Sort of sheds light on Al Jazeera's point of view on Iraq war. If someone has a link to some site fact-checking or criticizing the movie I'd appreciate it.

Control Room

I gotta say I'm pretty much with the "more people on both sides hate it, the more I love it" camp here, tho. I consider Rumsfeld to be one of Al Jazeera's lead advocates. ;)

And anyways, even if their news reporting were seriously biased it'd still be good to have an Arab POW properly presented in global media.

---

Heyy! From the first post article:
    Six months ago, a crew from Al-Jazeera International's Washington bureau went to Crosby, N.D., intending to report on the economic conditions of a remote American town. None of the crew were Arab or Muslim. In fact, one of them was Josh Rushing, a former Marine who was a popular spokesman for the U.S. military during the initial phases of the Iraq war. That credential didn't matter to the townspeople, who were suspicious of the crew's affiliation with the Arabic news channel.

That's the military guy in the movie, isn't it?

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    entropykidentropykid Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I always admired Al Jazeera.
    I thought of some taglines:

Al Jazeera: Where we don't allow AIPAC to control our coverage of the Israeli/Lebanese/Palestinian conflict!

Al Jazeera: Exposing the "war on terror", one US lie at a time

Al Jazeera: We're not afraid to show Israel or the US targetting civilians!

This is definately a welcomed addition to the saturated mainstream corporate mass media

entropykid on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    "Al Jazeera
    Setting the news agenda" is what's on the countdown screen. :P

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    So uhh... You're recording/Youtubing at least their first few launch minutes, right, Elk? :P

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    DeepQantas wrote:
    So uhh... You're recording/Youtubing at least their first few launch minutes, right, Elk? :P
    No, but I wish I was competent enough to do that. :wink:

I'll leave to watch it, soon, and will be back later with opinion.

Edit: 5 minutes!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    1!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    In headlines today: Muslims take over the world!

Hm. After some website problems, googling and generally being stupid, etc, found a free 56k feed on their site. It's blurry and can't read text, but other than that it's pretty good and plays on Media Player Classic. (Broadband feed requires subscription)

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/1EBB4C7F-7F2E-4257-A04C-56678862E31A.htm

I... think... it's live. Someone confirm?

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    in the last couple of minutes, the following topics have been brought up:

An Israeli casualty caused by a Palestinian Missile
    The Crisis in Darfur
    Something going on in Zimbabwe
    And right now there is something going on about some Iran thing and Tony Blair is being mentioned

This is certainly much more secular reporting than I normally see going on in the US. I am excited.

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I'm watching right now too and so far it's pretty damn good.

ooh, they're talking about the tsunami in Japan now.

(I was in a red zone for that, see my new sig)

edit: hey and I can rewind it too

ALocksly on
  • Options
    designMcGeedesignMcGee Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Are their graphics and set design better than our News Networks?

designMcGee on
    sig_uso.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    In general the bias seems... cautious. It's there, but not blatantly so.

If the coverage of Israel-Palestine conflict there is their worst (ie. they mentioned Israel's side of the issue, but mainly covered what things looked like in Palestine) then I'd say the channel is way ahead of Fox News. ;)

I love the whole "internationality" angle. Like... police brutality in Zimbabwe? Who the heck would care about Zimbabwe? That reporter had cool accent as well. :P

Also, Al Jazeera's theme music reminds me of Eve Online so that's a plus. ;)

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    can't tell at 56k

ALocksly on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    DeepQantas wrote:
    In general the bias seems... cautious. It's there, but not blatantly so.

If the coverage of Israel-Palestine conflict there is their worst (ie. they mentioned Israel's side of the issue, but mainly covered what things looked like in Palestine) then I'd say the channel is way ahead of Fox News. ;)

I love the whole "internationality" angle. Like... police brutality in Zimbabwe? Who the heck would care about Zimbabwe? That reporter had cool accent as well. :P

Also, Al Jazeera's theme music reminds me of Eve Online so that's a plus. ;)

Fox's bias is far more apparent.

anyone who hasn't seen it should go rent Control Room too.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    anyone who hasn't seen it should go rent Control Room too.
    Or check the previous page. :wink:

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    It's too bad that you missed the intro, Qantas. It was vintage Al Jazeera. Pure dick. After that, there was a reel of different people criticizing Al Jazeera. Iraq's ex Information Minister and Rumsfeld were played back to back.

The coverage isn't bad, at all. Gaza, a story on Darfur where someone actually mentions the names of different tribes and criticizes ex-rebels, a story about Zimbabwe (I'm sure they'll get kicked out of there soon), Somalia and the UIC, Congo's elections, Afghanistan's reconstruction, land reforms in Brazil, and a story on Iraqi casualties. They had a strong anti-civilian deaths bias! Then a 30 minutes segment about ex soldiers/child soldiers in liberal, with drugs, unemployment, reeducation programs, warlords, etc. I want to say it's CNNI with an Arabic name, but I don't watch much of CNNI.

It's "The World" but on TV instead of radio.

The only sponsor I've seen is Nokia. So, there you go. Nokia hates your freedoms, all their phones are triggers for bombs.

Also, "if it's newsworthy, it'll get on the air, wether it's Bush or Bin Laden."

DeepQantas wrote:
    I... think... it's live. Someone confirm?
    Live. Like, one minute behind the TV.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'd love to be able to watch this, but I'd have to order it and I'm afraid that if I do there will be suits knocking at my door in the morning. I heard a quote by Dave Marash yesterday which describes why he is excited to work for them something about how before they were outside looking in on the middle east and now they're inside looking out. Somewhere Bill O'Reily is bitching and moaning and that makes me :).

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Do you mean good dick or bad dick?
    Elkamil wrote:
    The only sponsor I've seen is Nokia. So, there you go. Nokia hates your freedoms, all their phones are triggers for bombs.
    Whee! You don't know how proud that makes me for being finnish. :)

Malkor, did you try the free 56k feed I linked to up there on this page? It's supposedly for Realplayer but my Media Player Classic plays it with no problems. I dunno if I got some crazy codecs, tho.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Are their graphics and set design better than our News Networks?
    It's good. Not ESPN flashy, but not CNN cluttered. It has a clean look.

DeepQantas wrote:
    Do you mean good dick or bad dick?
    It's that timeline edit. They just showed it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This is very nice news. I'm glad they finally decided to do stuff in English now. Non Arab-speakers can finally understand and listen/read an Arab perspective on the news, especially during a time like this, considering most of the crap going on in politics has to do with that region.

Oh hell, I forgot they already had an English site. A channel's gonna kick ass, though. I hope we get it here.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [quote=The Independent article]Tony Blair is expected to provide the station's first major "scoop", having agreed to an exclusive interview on Friday's debut edition of Sir David's new weekly show, Frost Over the World.[/quote]

oh man

oh man

Jinnigan on