As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E Discussion] This thread is dead.

1565758596062»

• Options
    Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So as I am making my first dungeon map, and am planning to have the area be rat infested, I hear a scratching sound on my back porch. Upon investigating, low and behold I find on my back porch a giant rat (an opossum) and flip my shit like a little girl.

Damn you D&D. Damn you.

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    lol.

I saw a possum in a tree near where I lived once and it gave me a fight. My immediate reaction was to punch it in the face. I have no idea to this day which one of us crapped their pants (well if it had pants) worse.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    No, because the power would lose the weapon keyword when being used as an implement (like on a warlocks Eldritch blast). There is a specific power for implements that's exactly the same thing, but for implements.

I understand, but Weapon Focus: Heavy Blades provides bonus damage when the heavy blade is used as an implement by the swordmage. Weapon Focus: Staff provides a damage bonus when the staff as used as an implement. Heavy Blade Mastery increases the critical range from 20 to 19-20 for implement attacks (not just powers that have Weapon in their keywords) that use heavy blades an an implement (swordmage non-weapon powers). Wizards has set a recent precedent that feats that improve weapons WORK when those weapons are used as implements, so my question isn't completely ridiculous.

I mean I wouldn't think "Heavy Blade Mastery" would work when casting fireball as a wizard of the spiral tower, for instance, but it does.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I understand, but Weapon Focus: Heavy Blades provides bonus damage when the heavy blade is used as an implement by the swordmage.

This sounds ridiculous and if this is how it works, Wizards have just created something that's going to be potentially devastating to balance. This means it could be potentially possible to stack Weapon Expertise and Implement Expertise, for a total of +6 to attack at Epic tier.

This cannot possibly make sense and if this is wizards original ruling, then I must say it's as dumb as the ruling that you could get cover from allies for stealth checks (until that was mercifully errataed to make sense).

Unless Implement Expertise and Weapon Expertise have a typed bonus (and I can't recall that), then you're going to see everyone stack those two together for ridiculous effects like this.

Myself, if it doesn't have the weapon keyword you don't get benefits from weapon feats (and vice versa for implement feats).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I understand, but Weapon Focus: Heavy Blades provides bonus damage when the heavy blade is used as an implement by the swordmage.

This sounds ridiculous and if this is how it works, Wizards have just created something that's going to be potentially devastating to balance. This means it could be potentially possible to stack Weapon Expertise and Implement Expertise, for a total of +6 to attack at Epic tier.

This cannot possibly make sense and if this is wizards original ruling, then I must say it's as dumb as the ruling that you could get cover from allies for stealth checks (until that was mercifully errataed to make sense).

Unless Implement Expertise and Weapon Expertise have a typed bonus (and I can't recall that), then you're going to see everyone stack those two together for ridiculous effects like this.

Myself, if it doesn't have the weapon keyword you don't get benefits from weapon feats (and vice versa for implement feats).

Pretty sure they're typed as Feat bonuses, only because I recall there being discussion about how Tieflings got kinda hosed because their fire weapon trick is no longer useful.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I would hope so, because if you consider the way it's been ruled up until now, if they don't have a typed bonus and stack it's going to get ugly.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Are you saying +6 damage or +6 to attack? Because +6 damage is nothing compared to something like Bloodclaw or Reckless, and unless the wizard is damage splitting with an AE, the multi-attack characters are going to apply their modifiers several more times than the wizard with powers that already hit harder.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Weapon expertise/implement expertise is +3 to attack rolls respectively (at epic tier after level 25). If you could stack them if they aren't typed (and I'm not sure) it would be +6 to attack.

Which is completely broken.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Implement is a feat bonus IIRC. There's some photobucket scans of some dude that has a few pictures of the feat pages online, I think it was linked to from the "He haz it" page.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This thread must be killed. Without triple digits and a lock from a mod, it just doesn't feel right. Like the 90 year old grandmother you know is there but don't really talk to.

REG Rysk on