As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chambara Punk - New Comic

MM Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Artist's Corner
Hey I don't post much here anymore but I'm sorta proud of this so here goes. New comic drawn on 11 x 17 paper. It may mean there's a nasty line running through them since my scanner is too small but you can see what the freedom of all that extra space did for me. There's actually another 10 pages of this but it is not of the samequality and I'm thinking of completly redrawing (and rewriting) it. Alright guys, tear it up.

CP101.jpg

CP102.jpg

CP103.jpg

CP104.jpg

CP105.jpg

CP106.jpg

Bellyachin' on an empty stomach
M on

• Options
    sharkbrainguysharkbrainguy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This is straight up awesome. I like how you've already given us the rough outline of the character's personality just by what's going on in his room. I'd really like to see more of this. Are you going to publish the full story on the interweb or engrave it onto tree corpses?

Technically some of these drawings aren't the strongest but the strength of character really shines through for me so it doesn't annoy me enough to be a big problem.

the profiles in pages 1 and 5 annoy me the most I think. Although the page one profile shot is arguably necessary it still looks a bit off, in the area where the fore head becomes the bridge of the nose.

sharkbrainguy on
    "He made it to dry land, but instead of freedom he found only alienation and a sense of loss"
    - excerpt from Shark Brain in a strange land
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This is really good stuff, much better than the last stuff of yours I saw. You still have a slight tendency to give people huge foreheads in relation to the rest of their face, though.

But dang, this is good stuff. Really dynamic, I love the pacing.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I like it, would love to see more when you get it drawn. Only thing I saw was that the "Chambara" part of the title is kinda hard to read, maybe clean it up if thats possible? Not sure if it is, it looks all nice and inked. But still, pretty awesome.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Technically some of these drawings aren't the strongest but the strength of character really shines through for me so it doesn't annoy me enough to be a big problem.

I just want to echo this sentiment. Look forward to more!

Edit: Although there's one panel on page 4 that really bothers me. He needs to get his fingers away from the cutting edge, it looks like he's grasping the blade...

Delzhand on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hey, looking good so far, looking forward to more, not an artist, so can't really critic the art, but looking really good so far.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ImmortalImmortal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Really nice art! As has been stated, you do a great job of giving us an idea of the character before there's any dialogue, without any narration to boot.

Also thought the "sword stays in its sheath" part was a nice touch. I didn't catch it the first time around, though - so if you wanted it to be more noticable, you might want to try and make it stand out a little more.

Immortal on
    Sincerely Yours,
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Immortal
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    Immortal wrote:
    Also thought the "sword stays in its sheath" part was a nice touch. I didn't catch it the first time around, though - so if you wanted it to be more noticable, you might want to try and make it stand out a little more.

I didn't notice it either until you pointed it out.

Sanjuro reference :^:

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wow, I just have to say that it's amazing how much progress you've made over the years I've been here. My only crit is that all your profile shots for Eugene look kind of weird. In most of them his forehead looks rather large, while on page four panel three his features seem kind of cramped and mashed together. I love the grey sort of ink-washed look you used for shading though.

Munch on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't have anything constructive to add simply because I'm at work, but I wanted to say Blind Masseuse for the win!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    Sean CSean C Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Advice on correcting said line. Use the Adjust-Threshold option in Photoshop. What this does is eliminate the grays, leaving just the black and white. It looks grainy when you're looking at the preview, but it cleans it up without making it pixely as it appears in the preview.

After that, you can try Adjust-Levels. This lets you increase the intensity of the black and white areas. It can help further clean up unwanted grays. I would recommend that you try this one since you appear to add the gray by hand. If you do decide to add your shades of gray in PS, which could work better for you since they're solid grays - your call - the first method is highly recommended.

Making some photocopies of the pages, reducing the size so it fits the scanner might work as well if you've got access to a good photocopier. Most likely, you'd have to clean it up just a bit no matter how good the machine is.

Sean C on
    Don't hesitate to procrastinate.
    See my stuff at: http://cain.bombsheltercomics.com