As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Straightening Hair

TopiaTopia Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Is it... wrong for a guy to use a straightening iron? Is there any other options to straightening hair?

My hair is somewhat curly... Not too bad but just enough that I can't just let it chill as is, but too much that it can ruin some potentially good looking hair styles.

Mostly is my hair all likes to the right side of my head (bangs mostly, but it gets more noticeable everywhere else as my hair grows out.).

Thanks guy.

Edit: maybe a better description is that it's annoyingly "wavy, to the right"

Topia on

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why would it be wrong? A straightening iron makes troublesome hair much easier to manage. After that you can use a bit of molding paste to make your hair a bit heavier and place it how you like.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I use molding paste right now. So how do I use a straightening iron anyway?

By wrong I meant... against social norms. But I would do it anyway just not tell people :P

Topia on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You use a straightening iron just like you think you would, heat it up, and then drag it straight down the hair. Pretty sure you do it straight out of the shower while the hairs still a little bit wet, the same as you would use a curling iron.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You should never use a straightening iron on anything but dry hair. If you plan on doing it frequently I'd invest in some good moisturizing product to keep your hair from frying when you straighten it. Bain de Terre has a nice one. Do sections at a time and when you straighten don't dilly dally, you want a smooth motion not a jerking one and you don't want the iron just sitting on your hair either.

VisionOfClarity on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ask some of your female friends for a how to. I'm sure at least one of them can show you.
    I personally found it to be an incredible pain in the ass and not worth it.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited January 2009
    Ask some of your female friends for a how to. I'm sure at least one of them can show you.

Yes? How so? Just time consuming?

And this brings up the other question in the first post: are there any other options than an iron? I'm gonna assume no, and think that many of the hair products to straighten your hair are... bogus.

Topia on
  • ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There is chemical straightening, but you don't want to do that. It's pretty harsh on many types of hair. It's usually used on ethnic hair.

You can blow dry it straight, but that can be annoying, and I never had as much success as the stylist did.

I use a chi straightening iron when I bother to straighten my hair. It's not that hard. Get a clip and clip all the hair on one side of your head up on top of your head. Gradually take rows of it down and flat iron it. Basically you're straightening the underneath part first and gradually working your way up to the top.

It can be time consuming at first, and a little awkward just because you can't really see/reach very well to the back of your head. You get faster at it though, it just takes a little practice.

As for doing it while wet? I wouldn't do it when your hair is wet....it would just take forever put it is kind of scary seeing all the steam come off of it(it looks like smoke and sounds really loud). I was told wait til your hair is just about dry, just a tiny bit damp. But if it's dry it will work just fine too because you'll put product on it to get it slightly damp anyway. There are many different products to use. I like putting a little biosilk in my hair before I flat iron it, and then using a little afterwards(just don't use too much or it'll make your hair look greasy). But you can just spray some hair spray on it before you straighten it.

You'll want to experiment and research products depending on your hairtype. Ask a female friend or next time you get a cut ask a stylist. Even if you're not getting it cut, if you go to a salon they are happy to tell you what products would work well on your hair and how to use them.

Thylacine on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Don't ever straighten hair when it's wet - it can damage the hair

Use a anti-frizz/straightening serum on hair beforehand, it will help protect the hair from heat damage...also use moisturizing conditioner if you want additional hair-protection

My hair is almost two feet long at the longest, it takes me about 20 minutes to straighten my hair (i've got a really nice straightener though...but if you're a guy, I'm assuming your hair isn't that long...don't buy a cheap Walmart straightener, buy something a little more expensive/higher quality - you can check rating sites to see how well certain straighteners work, and their prices...otherwise it may break easily, take forever to heat up, or never reach a hot enough temperature to work)).

It's actually harder to straighten short hair, I think. I know a few guys that do it, and it seems to work for them...don't worry about the social aspect of it - if it's makes you happy, and makes your hair easier to manage, do it up!

~~~~~~~~

Also, yes, hair-straightening products can help to straighten hair (and keep it straight until you wash it again...or keep it straight-er in high humidity)...I haven't tried that many, but I have tried the kind that you put in your hair before straightening, that's "heat-activated", and will work its magic once you've straightened your hair. Seems to work pretty well, though I don't usually need to use it.

I read somewhere that you should try to avoid having any part of your hair between the straightener parts for more than two seconds. Just play with the temperature settings to begin with and see what works best for your hair - thicker/wavier hair may need more heat or multiple run-throughs.

Best way to do it that I've found is to take a comb (or brush), and slowly run it through your hair...with the straightener following afterwards. The comb/brush helps keep your hair straight as it runs through the straightener.

Buy a straightener that has ceramic "pads", I've heard ceramic evens out the disbursement of heat.

*PHEW*

And I'm pretty sure that's everything I know about it, haha.

NightDragon on
  • Hobbit0815Hobbit0815 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One thing, some people have said this already but one said differently at first...

STRAIGHTEN (or curl) WHEN HAIR IS DRY!

That is all. It's a no brainer. :)

EDIT: There is also nothing wrong with a guy using a straightener. Dude, it makes your hair easily managable and hotter too.

Hobbit0815 on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Nothing wrong with it, just don't leave it switched on and sitting on a towel the way my flatmate did this morning...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Get one with ceramic plates, not metal, as they are better for your hair. Also, it will take a LOT longer than you think to do a good job. Depending on the length of your hair, half an hour is not long.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Topia wrote: »

Yes? How so? Just time consuming?

And this brings up the other question in the first post: are there any other options than an iron? I'm gonna assume no, and think that many of the hair products to straighten your hair are... bogus.
    I have quite a bit of hair and I found it too awkward separating it and ironing it to be worth it for me. If your hair is shorter (mine is about shoulder) it should be easier.
    Like I said before, ask someone you know. Maybe you can even borrow their iron and give it a shot. You don't want to buy a $20 junk iron, but you don't want to buy an $80+ iron you won't even use.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thylacine wrote: »
    There is chemical straightening, but you don't want to do that. It's pretty harsh on many types of hair. It's usually used on ethnic hair.

I used to have very long hair and have used the ethnic hair straighteners many times. I would give the opposite advice here and suggest you try one and follow the directions in the box. It was a nice change every once in a while from the long wavy 80's rocker hair I had. Harsh on the hair, yeah I guess I can give you that, but my beefy man locks didn't seem to mind that much about the chemicals.

Everybody has different hair and suggest you do the sample test the directions suggest if you try this. I had great success with it and the results would last from 3 - 6ish months. My result time was atypical as several of my black girl friends would constantly ask how I got it to last so long.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Go to a hairdresser and ask them to straighten it after they cut it. Firstly, they'll do a proper job, there's a fair chance if you go straight into trying to do it yourself you'll do it wrong and might be disappointed with the results. Secondly it should give you a better idea of what you're supposed to be doing when you do it yourself.

Next buy some sectioning clips and a decent comb, and if you've not got a mirror or two in your bedroom, now's the time to get one.

If you want to straighten it then buy a good pair rather than something cheap, (probably ask the hairdresser what they recommend). If you're hair is quite short (cheekbone length ish) then a smaller plate might be best. I still have my GHDs from 2003, and despite having trodden on them and snapped them in half, they still work. I don't know what the quality is like on their most recent range is though.

Rook on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Get one with ceramic plates, not metal, as they are better for your hair. Also, it will take a LOT longer than you think to do a good job. Depending on the length of your hair, half an hour is not long.

Unless his hair is past his shoulders or pretty damn curly as opposed to slightly, if it took him 30 mins he'd be doing it wrong.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited January 2009
    Okay thanks for the advice all! And just for further note, my hair on the top of my head is abotu 3 inches, maybe closer to 4, shorter around the side/back but letting it grow out a tad to the right length to give it a fuller look.

Topia on