As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game stories of ridiculous scale?

2»

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Conflict Freespace 2 is probably the most epic game ever. To give you a hint, the largest eneamy ship you see has turret guns that take you almost a minute to fly past, in a space fighter doing 300 m/s.

Master of Orion 2 and GalCiv2 are pretty epic as well. In what other games do you destroy a star in order to prevent your eneamy gaining the ability to refuel locally?

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    Tales of Symphonia has some epic moments, and the overall story is pretty amazing.

Also, Ginormo Sword was posted several months ago on this forum. If you haven't played it, you get to wield big swords. The word "big" in this context is an understatement, ginormous might work.

Oh man. I forgot about Ginormo Sword.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Conflict Freespace 2 is probably the most epic game ever. To give you a hint, the largest eneamy ship you see has turret guns that take you almost a minute to fly past, in a space fighter doing 300 m/s.

Master of Orion 2 and GalCiv2 are pretty epic as well. In what other games do you destroy a star in order to prevent your eneamy gaining the ability to refuel locally?

Oh yeah, duh.. Freespace 2 is amazingly epic. I love that game. I'd absolutely love another space sim game that had battles of that scale and could recapture the feeling of that game. Even without the graphical enhancements available, it's rather pretty too.

What are the chances of a space sim that has combat as deep as Freespace 2's with epic scale battles, and a freeroaming system with full privateering/pirating?

I'm just depressing myself now.
    Oh man. I forgot about Ginormo Sword.

I want a new version of it, bigger and better. Top down zelda style view would rock.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SMT: Nocturne. The world ends in the first hour of the game. Punching gods in that game happen in random encounters. Heck, your character is basically a god himself in that he's creating the new order of existence.

And if you get the ending with the special final boss, you get to kick the ass of
    Lucifer.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tales of Symphonia has some epic moments, and the overall story is pretty amazing.

Also, Ginormo Sword was posted several months ago on this forum. If you haven't played it, you get to wield big swords. The word "big" in this context is an understatement, ginormous might work.

You realize posting that link here is like leaving a bag of powdered cocaine on a table in a rehab clinic cafeteria, right?

Hedgethorn on
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

You realize posting that link here is like leaving a bag of powdered cocaine on a table in a rehab clinic cafeteria, right?

I work in a pharmacy. We feed the need all the time here.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

SONOFABITCH. Now I'm addicted.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Faffel wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    ^This man knows the score.

Half Life 2, and Episode 2 in particular are pretty epic.

Mass Effect too.

The Darkness has some surprisingly epic moments. Not enough for my liking though.

HL2 isn't really what I'm looking for. Mass Effect fits the bill.

The album that inspired this post is about a man. This man got angry at the gods. So angry at the gods that he decided that he would create an army to battle them and set out to create it. Eventually he takes over the world, wages a war on the Gods and wins. He then becomes a God himself and scorches the Earth.

That's what I consider epic.

By the by, what album is this?

It sounds almost like Night of The Stormrider by Iced Earth, but I can't be fully sure. My realm is prog metal for the most part.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ruiner999 wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    ^This man knows the score.

Half Life 2, and Episode 2 in particular are pretty epic.

Mass Effect too.

The Darkness has some surprisingly epic moments. Not enough for my liking though.

HL2 isn't really what I'm looking for. Mass Effect fits the bill.

The album that inspired this post is about a man. This man got angry at the gods. So angry at the gods that he decided that he would create an army to battle them and set out to create it. Eventually he takes over the world, wages a war on the Gods and wins. He then becomes a God himself and scorches the Earth.

That's what I consider epic.

By the by, what album is this?

It sounds almost like Night of The Stormrider by Iced Earth, but I can't be fully sure. My realm is prog metal for the most part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolossus

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I second the mention of Final Fantasy Tactics. That game was fantastic and quite epic in scale...and also called out religion.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As mentioned before, NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer (for the epic story) and Medieval 2: Total War (for huge epic battles). Thinking about it, Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal fits the bill as well. After all, the expansions of both NWN2 and BG2 play in the *hint* epic levels of D&D.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lost Odyssey can be pretty epic. Though most of the plot is pretty standard JRPG fare, the way the game deals with the immortal's protagonist's life can have a pretty grand, epic scale, particularly when the short stories that dot the game here and there throughout are taken together.

It sounds like you really ought to just replay the God of War games more than anything else, though.

Darlan on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sins of a Solar Empire: Genocide on an epic scale.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zone of the enders : the 2nd Runner. Has one intense space battle.

Ziggymon on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Panzer Dragoon Orta has a great level where you take on an entire fleet of battleships at once.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Any Ace Combat games. Destroy hundreds of enemy planes, and make enemies fear your very presence.

I was coming in here to say that, so I'll expound.

Ace Combat 4. Really, it's a fucking flight sim and it's one of the most epic games ever. The final mission in that game is ridiculously awesome and incredibly well executed. The other games in the series are a bit more hamfisted, and never quite reach the heights of that stage, but I can't recommend AC 4 enough.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I got Final Fantasy XII for Christmas

It starts slow but does seem to ramp up after a while

More of an ensemble Star Wars kind of epic rather than a single handed sort of thing but it's not bad actually

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Oh goddamnit you stole my one. I was going to say the one where you singlehandedly tear apart an entire fleet of battlecruisers in the upper atmosphere, then proceed to take on literally hundreds of enemy mechs while rescuing your weaker comrades supported by the Vic Viper.
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Any Ace Combat games. Destroy hundreds of enemy planes, and make enemies fear your very presence.

Ace Combat 4. Really, it's a fucking flight sim and it's one of the most epic games ever. The final mission in that game is ridiculously awesome and incredibly well executed. The other games in the series are a bit more hamfisted, and never quite reach the heights of that stage, but I can't recommend AC 4 enough.

This would be my third pick. Shadow of the Colossus easily takes this for me though.

Kelor on
    edited January 2009
    Kelor wrote: »

Oh goddamnit you stole my one. I was going to say the one where you singlehandedly tear apart an entire fleet of battlecruisers in the upper atmosphere, then proceed to take on literally hundreds of enemy mechs while rescuing your weaker comrades supported by the Vic Viper.

This would be my third pick. Shadow of the Colossus easily takes this for me though.

I've wanted to play the ZoE series for a dog's age - is the first as good as #2?

As for SoTC that entire game was one legendary piece of art. Like something you'd find collected in mythology.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kelor wrote: »

I've wanted to play the ZoE series for a dog's age - is the first as good as #2?

As for SoTC that entire game was one legendary piece of art. Like something you'd find collected in mythology.

ZoE 2 is quite a bit better than 1, but 1 is still a good game. Off the top of my head I think the reason I liked 2 so much was that the sub-weapons were buffed.

BlueDestiny on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I guess it depends on how you define epic, but I thought.. maybe.. Planescape?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, Mario Galaxy.
    you throw Bowser into an imploding star.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rook wrote: »
    Mask of the Betrayer gets pretty epic, and it's a good story too to boot.

This qualifies so very, very hard.

Ending spoilers:
    Either devouring or liberating the spirit of the deposed God of the Dead? Leading an army of angels, dragons, and monsters to the City of the Dead, home of the very angry and current God of the Dead to reclaim your soul?

Very, very epic.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I know it has been mentioned, and it may not be your cup o' tea, but Shadow of the Colussus nails epic pretty well.

I mean, sometimes I would just look up and think, "How the hell am I gonna kill that!"

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2009
    Visti wrote: »

Ooo, good one. Very good. This is one the OP definitely needs to play. Probably the deepest and most complex plot in recent years, with an absolutely crazy endgame.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009
    Crazybear wrote: »
    I know it has been mentioned, and it may not be your cup o' tea, but Shadow of the Colussus nails epic pretty well.

I mean, sometimes I would just look up and think, "How the hell am I gonna kill that!"

Absolutely. Not to mention how insanely incredible the ending is.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009

Man, I just got a second hand copy in nearly mint condition for about $7.00 US. I haven't got far in, but there's definitely a strong feeling of "How the hell am I gonna kill that!"; combined with the utter thrill of killing the damn things, well let's just say I'm glad I found Shadow of the Colossus.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009

Man, I just got a second hand copy in nearly mint condition for about $7.00 US. I haven't got far in, but there's definitely a strong feeling of "How the hell am I gonna kill that!"; combined with the utter thrill of killing the damn things, well let's just say I'm glad I found Shadow of the Colossus.

Congrats, man. I wish I could go back and play it for the first time again. So good.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

A few times I would just look up in awe, and then realize, "Oh yeah, I have to somehow bring that down".

And a few times, when I did manage to beat one of them, it actually made me feel sad for it.

Holy crap, $7.00! You need to post that in the "Best Game Purchases" thread!

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2009

Congrats, man. I wish I could go back and play it for the first time again. So good.

The best part is when I tried to kill the first Colossus with the bow. Big bastard just slowly turned around, looked down at me, and pulverized me with one hit of a mace bigger than Agro. It's pure joy.

A few times I would just look up in awe, and then realize, "Oh yeah, I have to somehow bring that down".

And a few times, when I did manage to beat one of them, it actually made me feel sad for it.

Holy crap, $7.00! You need to post that in the "Best Game Purchases" thread!

I'm actually deriving great satisfaction from slaughtering the Colossi. Warder seems a little bit, well, willing to kill them based only a creepy sounding voice from nowhere, but this is a Japanese game. I'm sure it will all make sense in time. Until then, I get awesome boss fight after awesome boss fight!

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It doesn't get much more epic than (spoiler'd because the awesomeness of it would tear the universe apart otherwise)
    LEGACY OF KAIN

I'm not even gonna name a specific game in the series since it all rocked. Oh well, alright. Soul Reaver. Wrote the book on epic story lines.

Big Classy on
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mortal Kombat

DJ Cam Cam on
    edited January 2009
    Visti wrote: »

Ooo, good one. Very good. This is one the OP definitely needs to play. Probably the deepest and most complex plot in recent years, with an absolutely crazy endgame.

Yeah... Planescape + Chris Avellone means I should give the game a fair shot past that stupid alleyway.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]