As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MISC] PAX Attendees Map and discussion of where you're from

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    j0z1e wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Did you guys move out of the HoG already? Where did everybody go?

Yep, I went to south of seattle, 3 of the others went to Fremont (Accalon, Twinkie, and cwknight), Snickers went to visit Kala in CA for a lil while, and we don't have a clue where trooper went.
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. What happened to the HoG? Drama?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    From what I heard, the landlord was losing the house, so they moved out before getting stranded with no place to live.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    j0z1ej0z1e Shuffles the FailNinja Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    From what I heard, the landlord was losing the house, so they moved out before getting stranded with no place to live.

This is true. She didn't pay her mortgage and she was a total biotch about it. I guess u could call the place in Fremont the HoG 1.5 :)

j0z1e on
    PAX East '12: Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane [ ] Time Off [N/A yet]
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Accalon drove by the old HoG a couple days ago. It's up for rent under new management, and the outside of the house had been cleaned up a little bit.

I'm going to miss that place, but the HoG1.5 is pretty cool.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    Chazybaz13Chazybaz13 Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    Added myself on there.

Chazybaz13 on
    ReflectionistBaz38475207.jpg
  • Options
    kdnewtonkdnewton Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Added myself to the map as "kdnewton's supertrip" (for those in the Central British Columbia area).

kdnewton on
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I finally added myself.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    There's a lot of little black planes on that map.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Helix118Helix118 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hi all,

This year, I'm going to realise a several-years-long dream of going to the PAX Expo. Each year I have to sit here and watch all the fun and excitement take place thousands of miles away, with the unrivalled coolness of the PAX vibe swirling around the US.

So I've decided I need to do something about it! Come Friday, I'll be booking some tickets for PAX, and arranging some flights to Seattle for early September. I can throw in a couple of days either side of the Expo to see the sights and sounds of the city, whilst I'm there.

I'm wondering if anyone else will be coming out from the U.K.? I've followed the humerous exploits of Penny Arcade for years - so this isn't just a pilgrimmage, it's the realisation of years of frustrated not-being-in-the-U.S.-ness!

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on this type of distance for the expo - I'm most certain it'll be worth the trip - and at least I'll be able to say I've done it :)

Helix118 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Huzzah - looks like I'm not going to be the only one enforcing the negative stereotypical ways! Wot wot!

Helix118 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    This extract is taken from the header on the PAX 2009 CommunityWalk map:
    PAX 2009 Attendees Map
    This is a map demarcating the locations of various PAX attendees from around the world.

Rubbish! According to that map, the 'World' consists mainly of the U.S.! - where's the rest of the world map so us Brits can band together in our own pilgrimage to PAX this year! Don't leave us out!

Frustrated...
    ~H

Helix118 on
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Helix118 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone else will be coming out from the U.K.? I've followed the humerous exploits of Penny Arcade for years - so this isn't just a pilgrimmage, it's the realisation of years of frustrated not-being-in-the-U.S.-ness!

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on this type of distance for the expo - I'm most certain it'll be worth the trip - and at least I'll be able to say I've done it :)

Greetings fellow English person who plans to travel to the New World in order to experience the delights of PAX '09. You'll be pleased to know there are a surprising number of residents of Perphideous Albion heading to PAX this year, as there was last year. Yes we are in the teeny tiny minority and our travel time exceeds most, with the notable exception of our New Zealand/Australian/South African brethren. But it is worth it. Besides 9 hours on a plane lets you practice Bomberman 2 on the DS, which by the way is the main weapon of choice at PAX. At least the original was, but that's whole other thread discussion. In fact the mere mention of it here may have this post moved to that thread *tugs furlock in the general direction of forum Overlo- I mean admins*

May I suggest you read my post on a Johnny Foreigner's Guide to PAX which can be read here.

In addition there is a UK based video game podcast that plans to make its first trip to PAX this year, much like yourself. They are called Digital Cowboys and can be found here: Digital Cowboys

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    edited February 2009
    You, Sir, are a scholar and a saint!

Helix118 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If you click and drag the map over, you can view the rest of the world, the map is centered on the North America because that's where the majority of PAX attendees are coming from and to zoom out any further makes the map too crowded with markers. Sorry if this displeases you.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Helix118 wrote: »
    This extract is taken from the header on the PAX 2009 CommunityWalk map:
    PAX 2009 Attendees Map
    This is a map demarcating the locations of various PAX attendees from around the world.

Rubbish! According to that map, the 'World' consists mainly of the U.S.! - where's the rest of the world map so us Brits can band together in our own pilgrimage to PAX this year! Don't leave us out!

Frustrated...
    ~H

Heh, its mostly centered around the US because 1. most of the people going to PAX are in the US, and 2. PAX is taking place in the US. In no way does this eliminate the rest of the world from the map, you just have to zoom out to see everyone else.

Azazel on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Being familiar with Google maps, I already tried the dragging / zooming-out etc. It seems like the UK / Europe / mostly everywhere else is completely omitted from the map. Perhaps there needs to be an entry for the region in question before it appears.

Weird, I couldn't make sense of it. I'll give that a go - but I'm not seeing things, I promise!

Helix118 on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Strange, I can drag the map around just fine and see the entire world, along with the whole two markers that are overseas so far. :P

But it is there!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    CactarCrushCactarCrush Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    I'm new to PAX and I will be attending the event alone. If you're coming from NYC or the greater area let me know if you would be interested in heading to PAX events together! I will be be staying with a friend in Seattle so I can't help out with a hotel, and my full time job and lack of car make me unable to participate in the cross-country trip. I'm not in upstate New York either, so I can't piggyback on the Canada trip!

Hope to meet some new friends this fall!

CactarCrush on
  • Options
    iamconfidenceiamconfidence Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey All!

Going to PAX from Utah? Well, holy crap! Me too!

Just trying to see who among us here in the land of many Mormons will be adventuring forth to gamer heaven.

I've got my plans all set in order and am trying to get a heavy number of people among my circle of friends geared up.

Talk a bit? Meet up? Organize a take over?

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Don't go forgetting about this thread or the map now people. I haven't seen many new points go up lately.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    TrueNoodlesTrueNoodles Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just put my point up. I feel weird, having a black plane on Milwaukee among all the CCST tags. Alas, not enough vacation time, I fear. :(

TrueNoodles on
  • Options
    spinal77spinal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Williamsburg, VA in the house. I have a few friends coming too, but they aren't members of the forum or anything, so just call us the Tidewater Representatives at this point heh.

spinal77 on
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    iamconfidenceiamconfidence Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone else from Utah ever gonna join me?! ANYONE!?

:( mumble grumble freakin' Utah mumble grumble...

iamconfidence on
    --
    ETA.Confidence
    EscapeTheAsylum.com
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm looking for a couple people from Chicago who want to attend PAX and would like to drive up there with me as part of the CCST. I posted in the CCST thread, but just wanted to make sure my visibility was high. So, anyone out there?

Rius on
  • Options
    BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Adding myself and Hubby just in case, as we're at 75% confirmed status.

Edit:
    @RedHalo and @X3RO_9:

Do you have flight plans yet? I'm thinking my group is going to be heading through Charlotte again on the Wednesday before just like last year to avoid Hartsfield, wondering if there will be any DS matches available for Hubby (specifically, Tetris) since my inner-ear meds will knock me out for the entire flight.

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Edit:
    @RedHalo and @X3RO_9:

Do you have flight plans yet? I'm thinking my group is going to be heading through Charlotte again on the Wednesday before just like last year to avoid Hartsfield, wondering if there will be any DS matches available for Hubby (specifically, Tetris) since my inner-ear meds will knock me out for the entire flight.

I'm flying out of Jacksonville early Thursday morning via Delta. Round trip was only like $240 a couple weeks back.

redhalo on
  • Options
    MarkJWMarkJW Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yo red, I'm also in Jacksonville, Mandarin area. I've got a buddy I talked into going with me this year, too.

MarkJW on
    PAX Prime 2013 Checklist   ➤   ✔ Enforcer Badge   ✔ Hotel   ✔ Flight

ArcheAge News
    ArcheAge Forums
  • Options
    CRCelfCRCelf Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Added myself to the map! i'm coming up from Corvallis, OR. drive shouldn't be too bad, compared to the distance some people are traveling Seattle and Corvallis are like right next to each other :P

CRCelf on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MarkJW wrote: »
    Yo red, I'm also in Jacksonville, Mandarin area. I've got a buddy I talked into going with me this year, too.

Freakin sweet. I'm from Arlington currently, but I grew up just south of you in Fruit Cove. My brother is coming out with me, so it looks like there will be four of us representing 904 so far.
    duvalcounty2.jpg

redhalo on
  • Options
    X3R0 9X3R0 9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Edit:
    @RedHalo and @X3RO_9:

I haven't made my flight arrangements yet (waiting on state refund). Last year I went through Hartsfield. I'm going to look into flying into Charlotte this year. I'll be flying on Delta again this year, looking to use some of my flyer miles for an upgraded seat.

X3R0 9 on
  • Options
    RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Running Springs, Cal on the map....(SoCal Mountains near Lake Arrowhead...)

Rayman on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    CRCelf wrote: »
    Added myself to the map! i'm coming up from Corvallis, OR. drive shouldn't be too bad, compared to the distance some people are traveling Seattle and Corvallis are like right next to each other :P

Go Beavs!

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Added myself a few days ago. Concord, CA. Taking the train up again this year.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have now added myself as well. I am the greyhound bus in Richmond, BC!

Hoping the bus turns out to be pretty fun for the 4 hours that we're on it.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    proXimity wrote: »
    Go Beavs!
    Heck yeah! I'm a Beaver Believer! (I even have the faded orange shirt to prove it!) Are you a local, student, or alum?

CRCelf on
  • Options
    AccalonAccalon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    CRCelf wrote: »
    proXimity wrote: »
    Go Beavs!
    Heck yeah! I'm a Beaver Believer! (I even have the faded orange shirt to prove it!) Are you a local, student, or alum?

GO BEAVS! WOOO!

I make Twinkie (roommate) wear that exact "Beaver Believer" shirt, because I think it's funny and it makes us giggle.

Accalon on
    PAX 2007 Omegathon Champeen

*Proud member of the Photoshop Heroes*
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The map appears to be growing slowly. It has come to my understanding that some people aren't putting their point down because they don't want to register for the Community Walk website. So I'm offering a second option. Post here in the following format, and I will add you to the map myself.

Add me!
    Your Name
    Your Location
    How you're getting to pax (Flying, Driving, Train, CCST, CST, WCTT or undecided)

Also, from now on, points added and left nameless will not be deleted, but they will be moved to the bottom of the list on the left.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    circeramonecirceramone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just added myself...I'm driving from Portland.

circeramone on
    PAX East 2013 [x]3 day pass [ ]Airfare [x]Hotel [ ]Coin
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Accalon wrote: »
    GO BEAVS! WOOO!

I make Twinkie (roommate) wear that exact "Beaver Believer" shirt, because I think it's funny and it makes us giggle.
    I saw a nother possible Corvallis PAXer today. There was a guy at the OSU Ballroom Dance Club wearing a Cardboard Tube Samurai shirt! I didn't get a chance to talk to him though, because of all the dancing... I wonder if he is on the forums...

CRCelf on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There's also a map for PAX East now.
    http://www.communitywalk.com/pax-east-2010

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.