As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Eternal Poison - That one Atlus game for the PS2

RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
Yeah, you know... That one. The one you were kinda interested in, but you weren't sure if you should get it.

Well now there's a thread for it.

2vbk5sw.jpg

http://www.atlus.com/eternalpoison/home.html
On the outskirts of the Kingdom of Valdia, the demonic realm of Besek had mysteriously appeared. Besek is home to the creatures known as Majin, who have been a constant terror to the men and women of Alea.

Not long after the announcement that the young Valdian Commander, Olifen, would marry Princess Lenarshe, the Princess disappeared, kidnapped by the fiendish Majin.

The King issued a degree that he will grant the wish of anyone who is brave enough to enter Besek rescue his daughter.

Are you a bad enough dude (or dudette) to rescue the King's daughter?

These people just might be (screens and art shamelessly stolen from IGN in case it wasn't obvious):

Thage
2qi4fax.jpg

Thage is a mysterious girl with considerable powers. She has entered Besek in search of the Eternal Poison. Thage is also joined by her wolf-majin servant Raki and a young boy named Retica who is forced to join Thage's group against his will.

She's also like, 14, so stop staring you creep.

Olifen
15g59xg.jpg

The newly appointed Commander of the Valdian Knights. He has entered Besek in hopes of rescuing his betrothed, Princess Lenarshe. He's joined by Logue - a knight and childhood friend, Levatte - a virtuous young priest, and some mage girl whose name I can't remember.

He's also voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch, who is in pretty much everything these days.

Ashley
15rk45j.jpg

A strong willed Protector of the Faith for the Church of Valdia. She has entered Besek in search of her mentor, Master Leto. Ashley is joined on her quest by Glynne and Reyna, fellow Protectors of the Faith.

I don't have any interesting tidbits about her. She's cute though, huh?

Screenshots?
rm65mv.jpg
2hycjtl.jpg
2s9d2bq.jpg

So basically it's just an SRPG, and uhh... you fight demons and stuff. I guess you can capture them too (gotta catch 'em all) and use them in battle or something. It came out a couple months ago (November, I think?) exclusively for the Playstation 2.

I hear it's a pretty bad game. I haven't gotten too far yet, but it doesn't seem terrible, so who knows.

So come on. Talk about this game. All ONE of you who own it (you know who you are). Alternatively, let this thread die in obscurity.

Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
RedMageDarion on

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was going to ask what console, since it looks like would be doable on Wii and the Wii has been good to Atlus. But I see it's PS2 exclusive apparently. Put it in the title perhaps?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ah, it's unreleased in the EU. I swear my location is the only thing preventing me from permanently handing over my wallet to Atlus.

Burnage on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I knew you'd deliver, Darion. :P

I recently finished most of Thage's quest, since I got this as a present. I might not have gotten it otherwise due to the mediocre reviews.

Story and voice work is good. The gameplay is slow, since it has needlessly drawn out animations done in battle, but it has moments, and it gets a lot more fluid if turn off the animations.

The best part of the gameplay is probably the Overkill mechanic. If you deal out a certain amount of extra damage to any enemy(even bosses), you can either recruit them, sacrifice them for new abilities, or sell them for new equipment.

This is really hard to do for the most part, but it gets easier with combos and NG+.

When/If it becomes available for cheap, it'll be worth checking out for sure.

Also, there's a puzzle mini game in the bar that's way too addictive.

As for Ashley, she's your typical deluded religious fanatic, but maybe she'll develop some sense as her story goes on.

I went for Thage mostly because her story seemed the most interesting(and in ways, it is), and because Raki(her wolf guardian) is awesome.

I swear I recognize his voice from somewhere.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I went for Thage mostly because her story seemed the most interesting(and in ways, it is), and because Raki(her wolf guardian) is awesome.

I have the game, but I havn't started on it(so far I've only opened it so I could listen to the bonus soundtrack CD), but a quick check the Wikipedia page for it lists his voice as Michael McConnohie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Mcconnohie

Interpreter on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I have the game, but I havn't started on it(so far I've only opened it so I could listen to the bonus soundtrack CD), but a quick check the Wikipedia page for it lists his voice as Michael McConnohie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Mcconnohie

That explains it. He's Margulis from Xenosaga.

(Not to mention Vampire Hunter D.)

And Disgaea's Gordon? Wow, talk about prolific.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    The worst part of the game is that you need to play through the entire damn thing twice to unlock the real final character's story.

And that's assuming you manage to 100% the collection on the second time through. So, you're probably going to be using a guide whether you want to or not.

Oh, also that there are 4 different stories, so you're just playing the first 20% or so of an SRPG four times instead of the fun later parts when you actually have diversity in your options.

Also, loooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimes

Aroduc on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've only played this game for about 4 hours or so since I bought it at the same time as I got P3:FES and then, well, the Christmas rush came upon us. I noticed my enjoyment of the game increasing fairly steadily the more I played as I started to understand how the game worked better thus resulting in a faster pace.

And yes, the puzzle game included in the game is a lot of fun. I was hoping that the solicheck game that showed up on XNA Community Games would have been the same game with more levels, but alas, it was fairly lame.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Huh. Guess I'll put it in the Gamefly Queue, near the bottom with the other "Someday" games.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857