As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Make the whining STOP.

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Something in my computer is making a god awful whining sound that is extremely high pitched and headache inducing.

I can't figure out what it is.

It can't be the HDD since I JUST replaced that and it was making a 'screeee' sound before I did this.

It's also not constant like.. screee (half second pause) screee (HSP) screeeee.

Any one have any idea WTF it could be?

Magus` on

• Options
    nethneth Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    bad fan most likely. try disconnecting one fan at a time and see if it stops.

neth on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How high pitched are we talking about?

Is it like, a noise a monitor might emit, or something more mechanical?

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    trixtahtrixtah Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    power supply? does it keep whining even when your computer is off?

trixtah on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My vote goes to a fan. My proc fan did that a while ago. Power supply would be my second guess.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I disconnected my HDD and just went into the BIOS and I don't hear the whining.

But good GOD, I just got an installed the thing TODAY.

And like I said, I had the exact same noise before I installed it (with my old HDD) and this sound was around since a few days ago.

Man what the fuck.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Magus` wrote:
    I disconnected my HDD and just went into the BIOS and I don't hear the whining.

But good GOD, I just got an installed the thing TODAY.

And like I said, I had the exact same noise before I installed it (with my old HDD) and this sound was around since a few days ago.

Man what the fuck.

A shitty case that's amplifying/vibrating?

Try gently putting pressure on the HDD while it's in the bay and see if the noise disappears.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It could possibly be coil noise from the power supply or it could just be generic hdd noise. Some power supplies will whine when under load but it would be kind of strange for the ~20 watt draw of an hdd to put it over the edge. Try plugging the hdd back in, but unplugging the cdrom + a fan (one that you know isn't making the noise) and see if it still whines.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Checking closer it sounds like the PSU.

Hell, I'm pretty sure it is the PSU.

IT'S GETTING WORSE. AAAH.

Magus` on
  • Options
    darcondarcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It probably is the hard drive. I just removing my whiney video card (trading in for a 8800GTX) and I'm using a passively cooled replacement, and I can clearly here some relatively high-pitched "whooooo" sound from my hard drive. All my fans are dead silent. I guess hard drives spin at full rpm all the time.

darcon on
    batopunchsig2mv.gif
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Alternativly, they say that if you reach a certain age, usually past 40, your hearing begins to slip and you cannot hear those high frequency/pitch noises...

Problem Solved!

...Oh, wait. You wanted a solution, like now, huh? Well, I cannot really offer any more bits of info that hasnt already been provided.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    darcon wrote:
    It probably is the hard drive. I just removing my whiney video card (trading in for a 8800GTX) and I'm using a passively cooled replacement, and I can clearly here some relatively high-pitched "whooooo" sound from my hard drive. All my fans are dead silent. I guess hard drives spin at full rpm all the time.

No, it's the PSU.

I put my ear next to it and it's a LOT louder there and it's near silent close to the HDD.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Ok, well, this thing is probably gonna die sooner or later.

What's a good replacement? I'd prefer something good but not too expensive.

I mean, shit, I spent 70 for this and it's dying on me.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Ive been using Antec and Thermaltake power supplies and have had pretty good experiences with them. Then again, the last psu I bought was an expensive Antec that started whining. Luckily, its been well over 6 months and its still working great besides the annoying whine since Ive been too lazy to replace it. PSUs are shady mother fuckers

trixtah on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Was it a Smart Power 2.0 by any chance?

It's what I have (it's an Antec).

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Coil noise is a pretty common problem with psus. Sometimes they whine when they aren't loaded enough and other times they whine when they are loaded too much. You can try connecting the peripherals on different cables from the psu instead of having two or more on the same one. Sometimes doing that and increasing or decreasing the load will get rid of it. If I were going to recommend only one brand, it'd be Seasonic. They make really quiet and efficient psus though they can be somewhat expensive.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    stigweard wrote:
    Coil noise is a pretty common problem with psus. Sometimes they whine when they aren't loaded enough and other times they whine when they are loaded too much. You can try connecting the peripherals on different cables from the psu instead of having two or more on the same one. Sometimes doing that and increasing or decreasing the load will get rid of it. If I were going to recommend only one brand, it'd be Seasonic. They make really quiet and efficient psus though they can be somewhat expensive.

I changed everything. Now my box is a lot more cluttered and still the ear destroying whine.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    If it is going to drive you nuts, your options are pretty much to either buy a new one or, if there is still warranty, return it for a replacement. If you do go that route, you should at least unhook everything with a fan on it and make absolutely sure it is the power supply.

stigweard on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Magus` wrote:
    Ok, well, this thing is probably gonna die sooner or later.

What's a good replacement? I'd prefer something good but not too expensive.

I mean, shit, I spent 70 for this and it's dying on me.

If you don't mind cracking it open you can replace the fan.

Otherwise, Seasonic is excellent.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    There is an XClio for 50 bucks.

I checked around and the reviews seem to be really good as well as I've not run into "DO NOT BUY THIS PSU" posts that I did for my Smartpower 2.0.

I really can't afford much at this point.

Magus` on
  • Options
    TheungryTheungry Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I was really hoping this thread would be about safe but effective ways to gag small children.

Sorry, i don't have any advice on the PC noises. I hope it works out for you. have you tried gently banging on it really hard?

Theungry on
    Unfortunately, western cultures frown upon arranged marriages, so the vast majority of people have to take risks in order to get into relationships.
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Theungry wrote:
    I was really hoping this thread would be about safe but effective ways to gag small children.

Sorry, i don't have any advice on the PC noises. I hope it works out for you. have you tried gently banging on it really hard?

Who needs safe?
    I mean, they are smaller than you and easy to fit into luggage.. VOILA! not only have you solved the noise problem, but found a nifty way to save money if you need to travel with them somewhere. :lol:

Last noisy PC issue I had was with a SCSI controller that loved to alarm EVERY time when I rebooted. I always have to shut the pc down, leave it off for a few minutes, thenboot it up, otherwise it freaks out on me... such a pain. I suppose some day I should go in and see if there are any drive spin up options or anything I can adjust, but the controller is a bit slim on options.. that's what I get for a budget card *sigh*.

Hope the OP replaces the PSU and finds that it was actually the PSU... it's a pain to replace something only to find out that wasn't the problem. lol

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sounds like a power supply or a fan.

And just because you replace a part doesn't mean the new part works 100%. Although, I've never heard of a hard drive making a high pitch whine. What kinf of a monitor do you have? If you have a CRT it could be a capacitor in it.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Magus` wrote:
    Was it a Smart Power 2.0 by any chance?

It's what I have (it's an Antec).

yeah...that's that piece of shit heh...then I know exactly how annoying that noise is :p my friend has the same psu and it makes the noise--I think it's a pretty common problem with these

trixtah on