As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Airways plane crashes in the Hudson river

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    So, is Death going to stalk them now and kill them off one by one in incredibly improbable ways?

I made that joke earlier gooey, you are so far behind!

somebody's got to work around here

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was wondering how long it would take D&D to start bagging on Bush in a thread about an airplane crash.

I'm glad everyone lived. Props to the pilot for some amazing flying and the passangers for not trampling someone on the way out.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, a little Carlin...

"The Sheriff came on TV and said that birds pose a hazard to aircraft. Funny, I always thought it was the other way around."

Reckless on
  • Options
    MaverikkMaverikk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, yeah. Everyone knows I work on C-130s by now.

There was this one time a hawk went through the leading edge of one our planes. The entire steel-aluminum alloy frame caved in like it was pegged by RPG full of blood.

I wanted to kick the pilot off the stand while shouting "THIS IS EXTRA MAINTENANCE" as she stood there going "Oh, did I do that? Teehee" and taking pictures of the massive damage (She was a blond).

It's really no surprise that a flock of birds took out the plane, though I really doubt the smaller birds fragmented the engines. I'm assuming they clogged the engines if anything. Small birds usually just shatter on impact against most aircraft structures.

Maverikk on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Totally amazing.

This is your hero of the hour:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0115093hero1.html

And this is the worst failure of a Youtube poster in the world:

Tribute In the memories of the victims of airplane crashes A320 in NY Hudson River

...this is what he should have posted instead.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Is it bad that when I first saw the picture that I thought ABC was trying too hard to promote the new season of Lost?

Anyway, crazy amazing stuff.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, that's actually a hell of a thing there.

I mean, that plane still had to hit the water at nigh 100 mph, with the engine nacelles going under first. It is so, so easy to end up digging in a wing and then ending up with the aircraft in pieces and upside-down. Good job, pilot!

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Really? In what way was he involved in anything that happened? Or is he seriously going to declare War On Migratory Birds?
    He could probably work in a plug for the republican platform on illegal immigration somehow.

On the one hand, this outcome isn't wholly surprising to me. Commercial pilots are trained, trained, trained, and then trained some more. You have to be pretty much perfect to be one, and you have to prove that you can do a reasonably serviceable landing under horrible conditions (no landing gear, no engines, stalling, you name it). That's one reason air travel is so safe (that, and the planes themselves are usually designed extremely well).

However, these guys went above and beyond. A situation like this with only a few casualties would be considered a damn good job, but zero? And not even that many injuries? It doesn't get much better than that.

Duffel on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Really? In what way was he involved in anything that happened? Or is he seriously going to declare War On Migratory Birds?
    He could probably work in a plug for the republican platform on illegal immigration somehow.

On the one hand, this outcome isn't wholly surprising to me. Commercial pilots are trained, trained, trained, and then trained some more. You have to be pretty much perfect to be one, and you have to prove that you can do a reasonably serviceable landing under horrible conditions (no landing gear, no engines, stalling, you name it). That's one reason air travel is so safe (that, and the planes themselves are usually designed extremely well).

However, these guys went above and beyond. A situation like this with only a few casualties would be considered a damn good job, but zero? And not even that many injuries? It doesn't get much better than that.

It's not their fault. Geese are the dumbest fucking warm-blooded creatures on earth.

What the fuck where they doing up there in January? I'm kickin it in Florida as we speak.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »

It's not their fault. Geese are the dumbest fucking warm-blooded creatures on earth.

What the fuck where they doing up there in January? I'm kickin it in Florida as we speak.
    Probably a rouge Nome. :P

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Turns out the captain also just happens to be rated as a CFI-Glider. Goddamn it feels good to be right. 8-)

Reckless on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Reckless wrote: »
    Turns out the captain also just happens to be rated as a CFI-Glider. Goddamn it feels good to be right. 8-)

ooh my dad should hear about this

he flies gliders

he'd give this guy the secret glider guy high five
    it's a regular high five

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Flying gliders is so much fun. There's a great club and a nice series of ridges about 20 minutes away from my school. With conditions just right, you can stay up there hugging the hills for a solid couple of hours on a single tow.

Reckless on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Reckless wrote: »

He also runs a consulting firm that deals with aviation safety. Basically, USAir got incredibly lucky and had the absolutely best possible pilot in this situation behind the stick.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    Live feed:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/live/?aid=37657434&vid=30522094

Sounds like everyone survived. Looks like there are lots of boats out there doing rescue and so on.

Pretty fucking amazing, considering.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I want to buy that pilot a beer, and I wish I could have seen that touchdown.

Ein on
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Very impressive, and at the same time I am honestly not all that surprised. Airline pilots can do some ridiculous shit with those planes.

I live in the suburbs south of Atlanta, so practically every third house here is owned by an airline pilot, including the parents of a couple friends of mine.

A number of years ago, one such friend's dad got some time on one of Delta's 727 simulators and took us up there. He had us landing virtual planes for a while, in the course of which we, being about thirteen years old at the time, discovered a number of ways in which the simulator does not match up with real life, such as the fact that if you nosedive a 727 directly into the ground, the simulator believes that it will respond by bouncing.

However, after we had our fun, he put us in control of the sim conditions and we got to make him land planes in the most horrendous conditions possible. We were trying our damndest to crash him, with no success. It reached the point where we had him land in the middle of what was basically a hurricane, with heavy crosswinds, zero visibility, no instrumentation, an awkward initial angle of approach, and with us randomly turning his engines off and on in a deliberate attempt to make him overcorrect and send him off the side of the runway.

He landed flawlessly, and then turned around and asked us 'what, is that all you're gonna do?'

Apparently those are fairly routine training conditions, at least from time to time or when you've really irritated the evaluator.

Abbalah on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Abbalah wrote: »
    Very impressive, and at the same time I am honestly not all that surprised. Airline pilots can do some ridiculous shit with those planes.

I live in the suburbs south of Atlanta, so practically every third house here is owned by an airline pilot, including the parents of a couple friends of mine.

A number of years ago, one such friend's dad got some time on one of Delta's 727 simulators and took us up there. He had us landing virtual planes for a while, in the course of which we, being about thirteen years old at the time, discovered a number of ways in which the simulator does not match up with real life, such as the fact that if you nosedive a 727 directly into the ground, the simulator believes that it will respond by bouncing.

However, after we had our fun, he put us in control of the sim conditions and we got to make him land planes in the most horrendous conditions possible. We were trying our damndest to crash him, with no success. It reached the point where we had him land in the middle of what was basically a hurricane, with heavy crosswinds, zero visibility, no instrumentation, an awkward initial angle of approach, and with us randomly turning his engines off and on in a deliberate attempt to make him overcorrect and send him off the side of the runway.

He landed flawlessly, and then turned around and asked us 'what, is that all you're gonna do?'

Apparently those are fairly routine training conditions, at least from time to time or when you've really irritated the evaluator.

My dad's department runs the sims at FedEx, and I got a lot of time in MD-11s when I was little. I asked him about stuff like bouncing (or being able to fly under the Memphis Bridge, even though the wings are longer than the support structures) and his response was that it's such an outlier that it wasn't worth programming in.

Also, landing in Hong Kong is a fucking bitch. Those pilots are crazy.

Apparently he also made some lady (not a pilot, she was there for some publicity thing) puke once (outside the umpteen-million dollar simulator, thankfully,) and supervised the sims when they used 'em for the crash sequence in Cast Away.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

If you're referring to Kai Tak, which had some kind of hellacious and famous approach procedure, I don't think it's open anymore.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Maverikk wrote: »

There was this one time a hawk went through the leading edge of one our planes. The entire steel-aluminum alloy frame caved in like it was pegged by RPG full of blood.

I wanted to kick the pilot off the stand while shouting "THIS IS EXTRA MAINTENANCE" as she stood there going "Oh, did I do that? Teehee" and taking pictures of the massive damage (She was a blond).

It's really no surprise that a flock of birds took out the plane, though I really doubt the smaller birds fragmented the engines. I'm assuming they clogged the engines if anything. Small birds usually just shatter on impact against most aircraft structures.

Not sure I follow how its ever really the pilot's fault when birds hit the plane. I mean, its not like they're easy to spot and avoid at high speed O_o

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I once blazed through a bunch of little brown birds in a Cessna 310 out at Killeen Skylark. We were already pretty close to the go/no-go decision and couldn't avoid them so we just watched a few get chopped in the starboard propellor, waited a heartbeat or two to see if we were fucked, then proceeded normally.

Scared the hell out of me.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Cat wrote: »

Not sure I follow how its ever really the pilot's fault when birds hit the plane. I mean, its not like they're easy to spot and avoid at high speed O_o

yeah but

she was a blonde

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Safety StickSafety Stick Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    CNN is saying zero casualties, which is amazing.
    Not really.

Name the last water landing where people survived in a plane this size. (And not the one from Lovefield in DFW from a few years back because they just ran off the runway.)

To my knowledge this is this is the first successful water landing of a plane that size.

No. Well, I guess it depends on how you define "successful". Actually, no, it doesn't. Because this isn't the first water landing to have a 100% survival rate. There were two before this.

Apparently, every water landing of a passenger plane has had survivors! The worst survival rate was the one I mentioned in 1996!

Whilst not quite the same thing, I recall, round about the late nineties, an RAF maritime patrol aircraft ditching and everyone getting out safely. Nearly the same size but obviously a vastly smaller crew. Pilot still got major kudos though.

As should this one. Hell of a job.

Safety Stick on
    5075110276_cc4230e361.jpg
    My other sig sucks as well...
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    according to that cnn article the pilot said through the intercom

we're going down. brace for impact.

which is, well, a pretty badass thing to be able to say in one's life.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I shall return when the plane crashes again?

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wonder how many accountants/PR people/executives in US Airways right now are praising their many gods they had this pilot on board. I imagine, with a downturn in the economy and the state of airlines lately, that a crash with fatalities is something that is probably not needed for an airline at the moment.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For anyone wondering what a bird being ingested into a Jet Engine looks like: This was a take-off from Manchester airport, UK.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm from New York originally, and people in NYC's reaction to this seems pretty typical. As far as I can tell, none of my friends out there even noticed.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

If you're referring to Kai Tak, which had some kind of hellacious and famous approach procedure, I don't think it's open anymore.

Yeah, it's closed. The main approach had pilots doing a crazy turn right before landing.

Wheeeee

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

And then he double checked the aisles after everyone had gotten off, while the plane was sinking, to make sure nobody got missed.

what a fucking man.

geckahn on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    So not even one person got this all on film? Really?

Or are they still shopping the video around to the news networks?

Obs on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    During final approach, the pilot made a note of all bystanders with cameras and hunted them down and killed them afterwards. No loose ends.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, which president is going to hand out the medals? :D

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    The Cat wrote: »

yeah but

she was a blonde

He was pissed because she was proud of making his job harder. Then he dropped some stereotypes. The source of his frustration is perfectly justified, the expression of it is the problem.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    geckahn wrote: »

And then he double checked the aisles after everyone had gotten off, while the plane was sinking, to make sure nobody got missed.

what a fucking man.

Seriously.

I really fucking hope that this dude doesn't get chewed up by the 24 hour news cycle. Too few actual heroes nowadays.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That pilot is a badass.

I wonder what will happen when he's on flights in the future.

"Hello everyone, this is Capt. Sullenberger speaking"

The whole cabin just shouts "FUCK YEAH"

Ganluan on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    He should collaborate with the fire marshall from the burning flag story to create the most badass buddy movie ever made.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Now MSNBC is showing some slow mo videos of birds being throw into jet engines.

they also put up some statistics:
    in 2007: 7600 bird strikes

Since 1988 only 288 human deaths from bird strikes on planes.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    They shoot frozen chickens into plane engines for testing.

Obs on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Not frozen, surely. Flying birds are rarely frozen.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png