Nice graph.

And OMG trends!

Which is biased because its from NPD.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nintendo can have more of my money when it releases the DSi since I'm a drone for that kind of stuff.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So the Wii & DS continue to show drastic improvement, the 360 shows slow but steady improvement and the PS3 & PSP are stagnating. For December sales anyway. Nothing particularly surprising.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    Nice graph.

And OMG trends!

elkatas, graphs aren't considered biased because of their source, they're biased in the information they convey. Every single graph is biased in some way. If you ranked them all from 0 to a billion sales then it looks like everyone did about even!

The graph showing high third party sales could've had a Microsoft watermark on it and it would still be showing the same data and implying the same thing.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    Nice graph.

And OMG trends!

elkatas, graphs aren't considered biased because of their source, they're biased in the information they convey. Every single graph is biased in some way. If you ranked them all from 0 to a billion sales then it looks like everyone did about even!

The graph showing high third party sales could've had a Microsoft watermark on it and it would still be showing the same data and implying the same thing.

Reminds me of this:

51x2r9.jpg

Cade on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Looks like I was right in the end after all.

Guitar Hero completely crushed Rock Band yet again.

Shame considering RB is the better game, but hey, that's the Guitar Hero name for ya.

Also, interesting to hear that Wii Music sold over 800k in the USA. While I don't like the game much, it is still an interesting tidbit.

slash000 on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One really nice thing about that top games for the year chart is it just shows how much off-chart growth there can be. Based on what I gathered from the wikia, there were around 3.4 million or so sales for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but it ended up with around 800k more to be near the top of the chart.

GTA IV for the 360 showed similar off-chart growth, with only about 2.5 of its' 3.2 million on the charts.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cade wrote: »
    For the sake of things(or against it I'm not sure) here is another chart that might put things into perspective.

graphusa01e.png

Nice graph.

And OMG trends!

sales09.jpg

edit: I should've really been more generous with the PS3 numbers, but hey!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hahahaha

:^:

That will be the Killzone 2 + Home + FFXIII effect on the Sony Family, then.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also, I too (as DMK mentioned) find it interesting that nothing but Shooters top-ten charted for the 360 and PS3. This is the second month in a row, and two crucial spending months at that. For the Wii, it was a racer, a fitness app, two music games, and a remote bundle. Though the remote bundle is hardly a "game" and more of an incentive to spend more when you buy another Remote.

I wonder what Guitar Hero World Tour Wii's total LTD is?

slash000 on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One really nice thing about that top games for the year chart is it just shows how much off-chart growth there can be. Based on what I gathered from the wikia, there were around 3.4 million or so sales for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but it ended up with around 800k more to be near the top of the chart.

GTA IV for the 360 showed similar off-chart growth, with only about 2.5 of its' 3.2 million on the charts.

Very good point. This is why it's so important to stress the importance of not judging the industry via the top 10.

With that in mind, I really want to see where Sony's Q4 lineup ranked on the top 50.

If Wii music is at 487K (First 2 months' sales minus IGN total) then it should be 11 on the list for Dec.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The Wii version alone of Guitar Hero World Tour has sold 1,508,000 copies since it has consistently charted.

The 360 version has sold at least 750k based on what we know and NPD rankings. The PS2 version has sold at least 184k as well. Don't have data or rankings on PS3 version.

So Guitar Hero World Tour based on NPD data from Oct->Dec 08, has sold at least 2.442 million copies, based on what we know from NPD.

For comparison, Rock Band 2 sold 363k on the 360 its first month, before dropping completely off the charts for the rest of the year, while the PS3 version was completely absent the entire year, and RB1 sold at least 184k on the Wii in November.

So even if you combine RB2 with RB1 sales for the Fall of 08, you only come up with 547k at least, based on what we know from NPD.

Guitar Hero.... The name, the brand.. just completely crushed Rock Band .

data
    Oct
    # Guitar Hero: World Tour (360) - 191,000
    # Guitar Hero: World Tour (Wii) - 183,000
    # Guitar Hero: World Tour (PS3) - 96,657

Nov
    Wii: Guitar Hero: World Tour - 475k
    X360: Guitar Hero: World Tour - [184k - 297k]
    PS2: Guitar Hero: World Tour - [184k - 297k]

Dec
    # Guitar Hero: World Tour - Wii – Activision – 850K*

Wii: Rock Band - [184k - 297k]

slash000 on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    you guys are silly.
    there's a difference between being profitable, selling gangbusters, and not selling at all. I think the myth is that third parties aren't profitable on the wii. When you look at the end of the year statements by the major development studios, you see that that simply isn't true. Third party games are profitable on the wii, but generally not to the extent of the majority of 360 top ten of the year. The 360 top ten third party sales might sell 2,3,4,5x the total of what the leading third party games pull in on the wii, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the wii still doesn't sell more third party games as a whole.

it seems like a lot of people are trying to make blanket statements for both sides of the argument. i don't see what's inherently evil about saying more third party games sell year on year on the wii than the 360. There's no bias to that kind of statement. How could there be? I think its fact, iirc. I don't think it implies in any way that 3rd party wii games are more profitable than the 360 platform unless you want it to.

Third parties are "healthy" on the wii. For the most part. They're stable. To say they're "great" would probably be pushing it.

They're fuckin lucrative on the HD consoles. They're also causing a lot of studios to shut down. I think you'd be hard pressed to say that the wii is directly responsible for third party failures due to the fact that it's allocated a significantly less amount of resources compared to other platforms (indirectly is another story, wii owns takin up all the money, casuals bringing about the end of the world, blah blah blah).

Guek on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JCRooks wrote: »
    Cade wrote: »
    Kotaku is usually pretty fast at giving the big three's statements on sales around the time the NPD's come out with how much they sold and all the PR rubbish that goes with it.

FYI, MS is announcing quarterly earnings today, at 5 PM PST. It might mean that the PR stuff they send regarding NPDs might actually be bundled with that instead. This happened once before and people were wondering where was the "MS response". It wasn't missing, it was just handled with all of the other MS news that went out.

It's going to be a very interesting day ...
    FY09 Earnings Release Schedule
    •

Q2 – Thursday, Jan 22
    •

Q3 – Thursday, April 23
    •

Q4 – Thursday, July 23

Confused, I am.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Guek wrote: »
    you guys are silly.
    there's a difference between being profitable, selling gangbusters, and not selling at all. I think the myth is that third parties aren't profitable on the wii. When you look at the end of the year statements by the major development studios, you see that that simply isn't true. Third party games are profitable on the wii, but generally not to the extent of the majority of 360 top ten of the year. The 360 top ten third party sales might sell 2,3,4,5x the total of what the leading third party games pull in on the wii, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the wii still doesn't sell more third party games as a whole.

it seems like a lot of people are trying to make blanket statements for both sides of the argument. i don't see what's inherently evil about saying more third party games sell well year on year on the wii than the 360. There's no bias to that kind of statement. How could there be? I think its fact, iirc. I don't think it implies in any way that 3rd party wii games are more profitable than the 360 platform unless you want it to.

Third parties are "healthy" on the wii. For the most part. They're stable. To say they're "great" would probably be pushing it.

They're fuckin lucrative on the HD consoles. They're also causing a lot of studios to shut down. I think you'd be hard pressed to say that the wii is directly responsible for third party failures due to the fact that it's allocated a significantly less amount of resources compared to other platforms (indirectly is another story, wii owns takin up all the money, casuals bringing about the end of the world, blah blah blah).

Uh, maybe for Activision the HD consoles are fuckin lucrative. Otherwise I don't really see it.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The number 1 studio laughing their way to the bank thanks to the HD consoles is Epic Games.

Not only do they specialize in the genre that tops the HD systems' charts consistently, but the expense and convoluted nature of HD Development has increased demand for their middleware solution.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Before 2008, no video game system had ever been purchased by ten million Americans in a single year. But according to independent sales data released today by the NPD Group, the Wii™ console from Nintendo did just that, even during these economic times, with 2008 unit sales of 10.17 million. The Nintendo DS™ portable handheld system came in a close second, with 2008 unit sales of 9.95 million. Each of them broke the previous yearly unit sales record set in 2007 by Nintendo DS with sales of 8.52 million.

Consequently, Wii represented 55% of all next generation home console sales in 2008, while Nintendo DS claimed 72% of all portable system sales in 2008.

“Our type of entertainment has now moved to the point where there is no longer a question that if you offer consumers an expanded definition of what a video game can be, and deliver that idea with quality and affordability in mind, millions of new people will start playing video games,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Concepts like Wii Fit, Guitar Hero, and Rock Band never would have seemed feasible just a few years ago, and now they’re driving growth for our the entire industry.”

NPD data released for December and all of 2008 also included the following:

* The industry’s top 4 selling games of 2008 were: Wii Play™ at No. 1, Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 2, Wii Fit™ at No.3, and Super Smash Brothers™ Brawl, at No. 4.
    * Industry annual revenues jumped 19% in 2008 over 2007, and Nintendo products were responsible for 99% of those additional retail dollars.
    * Nintendo DS set another industry record for system sales in any month, with 3.04 million units sold in December.
    * Wii broke its own monthly record, set in December 2007, by selling 2.14 million units last month.
    * In December, Nintendo titles filled 20 of the top 30 spots on the best-seller list. Six games made for Nintendo systems placed in the top 10, including Wii Music™ for Wii (No. 9), which has now sold 865,000 units following its launch in October 2008, and Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS (No. 7), which has sold a total of 4.3 million units 38 months after launch.
    * Activision’s Guitar Hero® III: Legends of Rock and Guitar Hero® World Tour, and MTV Games/EA’s* Rock Band Special Edition Bundle all sold more units on Nintendo platforms than any other platforms in 2008.
    * More 3rd party units were sold for Wii than any other home consoles in December for the 2nd consecutive month.
    * For the year, more than 132 million games were sold in America for play on Nintendo systems.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    you guys are silly.

it seems like a lot of people are trying to make blanket statements for both sides of the argument. i don't see what's inherently evil about saying more third party games sell well year on year on the wii than the 360. There's no bias to that kind of statement. How could there be? I think its fact, iirc. I don't think it implies in any way that 3rd party wii games are more profitable than the 360 platform unless you want it to.

Uh, maybe for Activision the HD consoles are fuckin lucrative. Otherwise I don't really see it.

I'd say they are when you put them next to wii sales. Compare a pretty good selling 3rd party wii games, lets say rayman or lego indiana jones, both of which sold about 1 mil on the wii. Those are good sales. Those are profitable sales.

But thats pittles compared to what's considered "good" on the 360. The best selling wii third party games, according to the likely outdated wikipedia list, is GHIII with 2 million. The #2 spot on the 360 list is GoW with 4.7 mil, followed by GTAIV (4 mil), GoW2 (4 mil), CoDMW (3.2 mil) and so on and so forth.

Anywho, you guys ready to get dizzy?
    REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Before 2008, no video game system had ever been purchased by ten million Americans in a single year. But according to independent sales data released today by the NPD Group, the Wii™ console from Nintendo did just that, even during these economic times, with 2008 unit sales of 10.17 million. The Nintendo DS™ portable handheld system came in a close second, with 2008 unit sales of 9.95 million. Each of them broke the previous yearly unit sales record set in 2007 by Nintendo DS with sales of 8.52 million.

Consequently, Wii represented 55% of all next generation home console sales in 2008, while Nintendo DS claimed 72% of all portable system sales in 2008.

“Our type of entertainment has now moved to the point where there is no longer a question that if you offer consumers an expanded definition of what a video game can be, and deliver that idea with quality and affordability in mind, millions of new people will start playing video games,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Concepts like Wii Fit, Guitar Hero, and Rock Band never would have seemed feasible just a few years ago, and now they’re driving growth for our the entire industry.”

* The industry’s top 4 selling games of 2008 were: Wii Play™ at No. 1, Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 2, Wii Fit™ at No.3, and Super Smash Brothers™ Brawl, at No. 4.
    * Industry annual revenues jumped 19% in 2008 over 2007, and Nintendo products were responsible for 99% of those additional retail dollars.
    * Nintendo DS set another industry record for system sales in any month, with 3.04 million units sold in December.
    * Wii broke its own monthly record, set in December 2007, by selling 2.14 million units last month.
    * In December, Nintendo titles filled 20 of the top 30 spots on the best-seller list. Six games made for Nintendo systems placed in the top 10, including Wii Musicâ„¢ for Wii (No. 9), which has now sold 865,000 units following its launch in October 2008, and Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS (No. 7), which has sold a total of 4.3 million units 38 months after launch.
    * Activision’s Guitar Hero® III: Legends of Rock and Guitar Hero® World Tour, and MTV Games/EA’s* Rock Band Special Edition Bundle all sold more units on Nintendo platforms than any other platforms in 2008.
    * More 3rd party units were sold for Wii than any other home consoles in December for the 2nd consecutive month.
    * For the year, more than 132 million games were sold in America for play on Nintendo systems.

I guess all of that is technically "true." As a consumer though, this was a shitty second half of 2008 for the wii. Nintendo didn't really seem to notice though.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I have a feeling that Rock Band Wii outsold Rock Band 2 again.

But one thing's for sure. 1.5M copies of GHWT:Wii is a lot of Wii GHWT.

slash000 on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Has this been posted?

Dec_NPD_Chart.jpg

Is this even true?!

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Goddamn it, BTP, I just came to post that.

Apparently it's from Nintendo's press release.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    edit: wait..

slash000 on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dayumn - 20 out of top 30 games belong to Wii/DS.

And GHWT and RB sold best on Wii compared to other platforms.

Dayumnnn - now where's the gif with Wii don't sell 3rd party?

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What does that pie chart even mean?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, that chart is saying that the Games Industry grew by $3.35B (revenue).

And that $3.31B of that $3.35B was entirely Nintendo.

Am I reading that right? Is that true?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    also, according to *cough*vgchartzzzzz*cough*, there are 41 wii million sellers:
    Wii Play
    Wii Fit
    Mario Kart
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
    Mario Party 8
    The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
    Guitar Hero III
    Big Brain Academy
    Carnival Games
    Link’s Crossbow Training
    Super Paper Mario
    Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
    Wii Music
    Animal Crossing: City Folk
    Guitar Hero World Tour
    Sonic and the Secret Rings
    LEGO Star Wars
    Mario Strikers Charged
    Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
    Game Party
    Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
    Metroid Prime 3
    Rayman Raving Rabbids
    High School Musical: Sing it
    MySims
    Rock Band(really??)
    Deca Sports
    Resident Evil: TUC
    Smarty Pants
    LEGO Indiana Jones
    We Ski
    Pokemon Battle Revolution
    Red Steel
    Ben 10
    Star Wars: TFU
    Simspons Game
    Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party
    Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution

compared to 24 million sellers on the PS3.

*whistle* thar be a lawt of sheet in dar

Guek on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

pac man closed his mouth and is choking.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    BTP wrote: »
    Has this been posted?

Dec_NPD_Chart.jpg

Is this even true?!

Not THAT is an example of a chart that doesn't make sense. I mean how would they have charted that if the rest of the industry had negative growth?

Those are just numbers put into a pie chart.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    BTP wrote: »
    Has this been posted?

Dec_NPD_Chart.jpg

Is this even true?!

Not THAT is an example of a chart that doesn't make sense. I mean how would they have charted that if the rest of the industry had negative growth?

Those are just numbers put into a pie chart.

It would just be Nintendo's growth then. If the others had negative growth, then you'd see Total Industry Growth as a percentage of Nintendo's growth.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If the industry had negative growth while Nintendo was still gaining, you wouldnt be able to put it in that kind of chart. You'd have to use a bar chart with two bars, one going down and one going up.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Nintendo's buying Sony.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay, here's Nintendo's PR as put on NeoGAF:

* In December, Nintendo titles filled 20 of the top 30 spots on the best-seller list. Six games made for Nintendo systems placed in the top 10, including Wii Music™ for Wii (No. 9), which has now sold 865,000 units following its launch in October 2008, and Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS (No. 7), which has sold a total of 4.3 million units 38 months after launch.

Hopefully it makes sense now.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, Ninty's such a wanker.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Even if its true, its still a ridiculous thing to put in a chart.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »

Nintendo's buying Sony.

are comments like these what JCRooks means by people sucking nintendo's cock every time they release a statement? I'm not attacking you Kaseius, its just that he brings that up constantly. I'm just wondering if it's these kinds of jests that he's extrapolating as fanboy worship.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hmmm, what exactly does "Nintendo products" mean. Does it include 3rd party DS and Wii games?

If not then there is going to be a LOT of red ink from 3rd parties concentrating on PS360 games, since their market will have shrunk and they were already having problems last year.

[edit] On further reflection this isn't necessarily true. Drops in consoles sales revenue (price drops) or in 1st party sales (No Halo) would leave some wiggle room.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Nintendo's buying Sony.

are comments like these what JCRooks means by people sucking nintendo's cock every time they release a statement? I'm not attacking you Kaseius, its just that he brings that up constantly. I'm just wondering if it's these kinds of jests that he's extrapolating as fanboy worship.

I dunno, I never even read these threads, I just felt like giving my insight to DMK. Sorry. :(

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Nintendo's buying Sony.

I dunno, I never even read these threads, I just felt like giving my insight to DMK. Sorry. :(

Don't be. Some people take this shit a lot more seriously than they should.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sony spin wrote:
    PlayStation by the Numbers - December 2008

PlayStation Brand Staged for Continued Momentum in 2009

Total 2008 PS3 Hardware Sales Up 40% and PS3 Software Sales Up 115% in the U.S.

PLAYSTATION 3

The PlayStation® brand delivered continued sales momentum throughout 2008 with a total of 3.6 million PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) units sold in the U.S. by the end of 2008, an increase of 40% from the previous year. In December, 726,005 PS3 hardware units were sold, representing an increase of 92% from November.

PS3 also generated one of its strongest months in software unit sales in the U.S., with almost 6 million units sold in December. For the calendar year, PS3 software unit sales increased 116%.

* Top-selling games for PS3 in December included exclusive hits Resistance 2 and LittleBigPlanet, as well as third-party blockbusters, such as Activision’s Call of Duty: World at War, Midway Games’ Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, and Ubisoft’s Price of Persia.
    * Top-selling games for PS3 in 2008 included Grand Theft Auto IV, Call of Duty: World at War and the exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

PlayStation Network
    With more than 17 million PlayStation®Network users worldwide and a total of 330 million pieces of content downloaded to date, the PlayStation Network continued to be a destination of choice during the holidays for interactive entertainment content.

* Top three most downloaded games in December included Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Soldner-X: Himmelssturmer and Linger in Shadows.
    * Top three most downloaded movies in December included The Dark Knight, Step Brothers, and GetSmart.

PlayStation Portable
    PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) and the Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters PSP Entertainment Pack continued to be popular choices in the U.S. for on-the-go entertainment in December, with more than 1 million hardware units sold, an increase of 143% from November. In December, more than 3.7 million software units were sold for PSP, including popular hits such as Madden NFL 09, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 and Lego Batman: The Videogame.

* The PSP exclusive titles Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and God of War: Chains of Olympus, which both launched in March, were the top two most popular titles of 2008 and sold a combined 1,313,893 units in 2008.

PlayStation 2
    PlayStation®2 (PS2) and the LEGO Batman: The Videogame PS2 Entertainment Pack delivered another month of solid sales in December, with a 99% increase in hardware units and 124% lift in software units from the previous month.

* The Guitar Hero franchise sold over 3 million units on the PS2 in 2008.

Power of the PlayStation Portfolio

In 2008, the PlayStation brand generated more than $6.4 billion in revenue in the U.S.

* PlayStation’s hardware unit revenue generated more than $2.5 billion in 2008.
    * PlayStation’s software unit revenue totaled more than $3.2 billion in 2008.

Executive Perspective

“The PlayStation brand has had a solid calendar year with total PS3 hardware sales up 40% and total PS3 software sales up 115%. We remain confident in our momentum into 2009 as we continue to deliver to our consumers the best entertainment content and technology out there. And we delivered on that promise this past year with one of the best software line-ups in the industry, a dramatically expanded PlayStation Network with the launch of the video delivery service and the beta of PlayStation Home, as well as extended hardware offerings with the PSP 3000 and Uncharted 160GB PS3 bundle. We also hit a remarkable milestone for the PlayStation 2 platform in North America with 50 million units sold. It’s truly an amazing testament to the power and legacy of our brand.”

— Peter Dille, Senior Vice President of Marketing and PlayStation® Network, Sony Computer Entertainment America

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    IGN sez: Consumers Prefer Gimped Rock Band:
    Alternative title, consumers prefer games for consoles they actually own

- Wii is the top SKU for Rock Band 1 with over a million sold, followed by PS2 (29th and 31th best selling games for the year, respectively)

-Rock Band 1 (360) <800k LTD
    -Rock Band 2 (360) <600k LTD
    -Rock Band 2 (Wii) ~150k

Dr Mario Kart on