Options

Video Game Sales Thread: December thread over, go use the new one

1585960616264»

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Newblar wrote: »
    Bussiness journalists in general have little knowledge of what they are reporting which is why they work as journalists instead of as accountants or financial analysists. At best some of these guys may have a business degree with mininal finance and accounting knowledge. They do have more knowledge than the average joe though.

This is, for the most part, correct. I'm a business journalist, and since I have to cover a broad range of topics what I know is more of a jack-of-all-trades rather than specialized. In other words, I know the basics of financial reports, but whenever I have to cover an earnings report in-depth that has all kinds of wacky accounting tricks that make the numbers loopy I have to reach for the reference books. (And for the record, I'm an English major.)

The same goes with most of what I post in this thread... I have a decent handle on the basics of the biz, but since I'm not immersed in it for my job I often don't know/miss the finer points. The devil's in the details, after all, so I'm wrong a lot. Then again, so are people who are immersed in the business for their jobs.

This probably explains my laser-like focus on profit and loss, eh? :P

Anyway, unless someone speaks up in the next couple of hours I'll make the new thread.

Unco: Ah, I forgot about The Simpsons Game and most of the LOTR series being decent, though most of those came out after EA dropped most of their quick-and-dirty licensed games.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Demon's Souls is getting really positive impressions from people who imported it. From the sound of things, it's basically a drastically improved next gen King's Field but with a 3rd person perspective, 10 playable classes, unusual online interaction (I don't think it's multiplayer, but you can see things like corpses of other players), and a variable storyline. There's a complete English option as well so localizing it should be a no brainer and you can always import it if you're in a hurry or they don't localize it. Be warned that the game is apparently very difficult which could be either a plus or a minus depending on your perspective.

I loved the King's Field games back in the day so I think I just added a must-buy title to my "reasons to buy a PS3" list (along with the Siren remake, Uncharted, Wipeout HD, and various download games).

Is it an open world game? Like Oblivion?

From a Gamefaq's impression:

"I really don't think this is going to be that kind of game. It's hard to say since I am still on the first level, but I don't get the impression at all that you will be roaming in fields and exploring in this game. So far it is more like Ninja Gaiden than King's Field or Oblivion. I love this game, but if you are expecting to be exploring a huge land like in Oblivion, you will probably be disappointed.

As I got deeper into the first level it started branching out a bit. There is one place where I was unable to get through because there was an enemy patroling the area that was just way too powerful, so I took the other path."

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My theory is that the more open-world a game is, the less likely it's going to be popular in Japan. Demon Souls is becoming popular in Japan, ergo it is not going to be open-world (like Oblivion).

slash000 on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Would be a shame if the game was just a level based type thing. I've been hearing lots of good things about it too, leveling and all that. Seems more RPGish than a straight action game, and since it's tied into King's Field, having a level by level thing would be disappointing.

Maybe the 360 will get a Western port.

Sheep on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Moment of silence, chaps.

Midway just announced that they've filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, as per N'Gai Croal.

EDIT: Now with link.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Finish Him!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    agoaj wrote: »
    Finish Him!

Hahahah, oh man, I laughed far more at this than I should have!

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The chapter 11 filing doesn't necessarily mean Midway is boned, since that particular flavor of bankruptcy allows them to keep operating, restructure and pay their debts off. They could very well emerge stronger.

...then again, we're in the recession from hell, and Midway's been struggling for a long time.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Would be a shame if the game was just a level based type thing. I've been hearing lots of good things about it too, leveling and all that. Seems more RPGish than a straight action game, and since it's tied into King's Field, having a level by level thing would be disappointing.

From the impressions I've read, there are 5 levels. Apparently, after finishing the first level, you unlock the other 4. Levels are humongous and well designed and difficulty level varies within levels so there are some sections that you might want to come back to later.

Atmosphere is supposed to be very similar to the King's Field games. Minimal story, generally oppressive environments.

The multiplayer sounds very unique. The game is in online mode by default (unless your PS3 is offline) and while playing you can briefly catch glimpses of other player's character's actions as shadows (so if you see a bunch of ghostly corpses, you can be assured that there's a tough monster up ahead. You can write messages for other players to read and if people like your messages, your HP is restored. You can also enter another player's game as either an ally or an enemy, but it requires certain conditions and items to be met.

Combat is supposedly very deep (dodge, parry, light & heavy attacks, ability to dual wield or two-hand wield just about anything) and is much more indepth than something like Oblivion, but not as fast paced as something like Ninja Gaiden. There are two types of magic (magic & miracles). MP does not automatically recover unless you have an appropriate item (which one class starts out with). I don't think it has a regular level up system: rather, you get souls which you can use to purchase equipment & upgrade your many stats.

The 10 classes are soldier, knight, hunter, priest, magician, wanderer, barbarian, thief, shrine knight, aristocrat.

Depending on your actions, you can change the "world tendency" state which can result in changes to levels & enemy layouts/difficulty.

The game apparently isn't just hard, it's 8-bit hard.

All in all, it sounds like an awesome game. Since Sony published it, I doubt a 360 port will happen. My desire to get a PS3 is drastically higher than it was before.

EDIT: Oh and apparently, I was wrong about it being entirely in English. Voice acting is all in English and some of the menus are in English.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The chapter 11 filing doesn't necessarily mean Midway is boned, since that particular flavor of bankruptcy allows them to keep operating, restructure and pay their debts off. They could very well emerge stronger.

...then again, we're in the recession from hell, and Midway's been struggling for a long time.

Honestly, Midway hasn't done anything in the last decade that was even decent.

Still, hate to see anyone else lose their jobs, so I hope they can fix things.

Lots of people filing for Ch. 11 right now...

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My theory is that the more open-world a game is, the less likely it's going to be popular in Japan. Demon Souls is becoming popular in Japan, ergo it is not going to be open-world (like Oblivion)

I thought Oblivion was relatively popular in Japan...

Sheep on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

In the last decade they released a version of Blitz, Hitz, and one or two decent Gauntlet Sequels. So, you're exaggerating just a bit.

But not much.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

I wouldn't say that around here, Shadow Hearts has a pretty dedicated following. Unreal Tournament's fairly popular too (or at least it did before UT3).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited February 2009

From the impressions I've read, there are 5 levels. Apparently, after finishing the first level, you unlock the other 4. Levels are humongous and well designed and difficulty level varies within levels so there are some sections that you might want to come back to later.

Atmosphere is supposed to be very similar to the King's Field games. Minimal story, generally oppressive environments.

The multiplayer sounds very unique. The game is in online mode by default (unless your PS3 is offline) and while playing you can briefly catch glimpses of other player's character's actions as shadows (so if you see a bunch of ghostly corpses, you can be assured that there's a tough monster up ahead. You can write messages for other players to read and if people like your messages, your HP is restored. You can also enter another player's game as either an ally or an enemy, but it requires certain conditions and items to be met.

Combat is supposedly very deep (dodge, parry, light & heavy attacks, ability to dual wield or two-hand wield just about anything) and is much more indepth than something like Oblivion, but not as fast paced as something like Ninja Gaiden. There are two types of magic (magic & miracles). MP does not automatically recover unless you have an appropriate item (which one class starts out with). I don't think it has a regular level up system: rather, you get souls which you can use to purchase equipment & upgrade your many stats.

The 10 classes are soldier, knight, hunter, priest, magician, wanderer, barbarian, thief, shrine knight, aristocrat.

Depending on your actions, you can change the "world tendency" state which can result in changes to levels & enemy layouts/difficulty.

The game apparently isn't just hard, it's 8-bit hard.

All in all, it sounds like an awesome game. Since Sony published it, I doubt a 360 port will happen. My desire to get a PS3 is drastically higher than it was before.

EDIT: Oh and apparently, I was wrong about it being entirely in English. Voice acting is all in English and some of the menus are in English.

Some of that sounds like what Fable II was supposed to be.

Damn about Sony publishing it. Cuts a 360 port for the West down pretty drastically. But not completely.

Sheep on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wrote lots of stuff about Demon's Souls

Wow, that all sounds pretty awesome, you've kind of sold me on this game. I'm going to keep an eye on it now.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I wouldn't say that around here, Shadow Hearts has a pretty dedicated following. Unreal Tournament's fairly popular too (or at least it did before UT3).

I really liked PsiOps, though that wasn't much of a hit. MK vs DC was decent, too.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

In the last decade they released a version of Blitz, Hitz, and one or two decent Gauntlet Sequels. So, you're exaggerating just a bit.

But not much.

Ubisoft buyout imminent.

Imagine: Blitz

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    darleysam wrote: »

But not much.

Ubisoft buyout imminent.

Imagine: Blitz

I imagined a different kind of blitz.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I would actually play a game featuring puppies playing bone-crunching football. "Awww, look at that cute widdle beagle with the career-ending groin injury!"

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hmm, I don't think I saw this posted yet. Apologies if it already has and I just missed it:

Square Enix slashes revenue forecasts
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/square-enix-slashes-revenue-forecasts
    Square Enix has slashed earnings targets for the financial year to end March 31 2009, citing the underperformance of its offline games business and the delay of Dragon Quest IX.

The company's net sales were anticipated to be JPY 160 billion (USD 1.7 billion), but are now expected to come in 16 per cent lower at JPY 133 billion (USD 1.4) - down year-on-year when compared with last year's results of JPY 147.5 billion (USD 1.6 billion).

Similarly revised from growth to decline, operating income is now predicted to fall short by nearly 50 per cent at JPY 12 billion (USD 133 million), compared to JPY 21.5 billion (USD 238 million) for the previous fiscal year.

Net income has been revised down by 62.5 per cent, from JPY 12 billion (USD 133 million) to JPY 4.5 billion (USD 49.9 million). Recurring income is also expected to take a plunge from previous estimates by 50 per cent to JPY 10 billion (USD 111 million).

"While results for games (online), mobile phone content, publishing and other segments have been proceeding at a rate exceeding the figures previously planned, amusement and games (offline) segments are projected to underperform - due to a severe business environment," explained the company in a statement.

Compounding the problem and contributing to the fall in estimated revenues, Square has also delayed the release of its anticipated RPG, Dragon Quest IX, by four months from March to July 11.

This follows earlier news that Square Enix is the company behind the recent offer to acquire UK publisher Eidos.

I find it interesting that highlighted line interesting, particularly the split between online and offline games. I guess their MMO business (FFXI) is still doing well? (I think they also do some minor PC-based MMOs too) Or at least, it outperformed expectation. Too bad their retail side is taking a hit.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    *zooms in to show bursting puppy testicles*

Sheep on