Options

Video Game Sales Thread: December thread over, go use the new one

• Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    IGN sez: Consumers Prefer Gimped Rock Band:
    Alternative title, consumers prefer games for consoles they actually own

- Wii is the top SKU for Rock Band 1 with over a million sold, followed by PS2 (29th and 31th best selling games for the year, respectively)

-Rock Band 1 (360) <800k LTD
    -Rock Band 2 (360) <600k LTD
    -Rock Band 2 (Wii) ~150k

I am completely shocked.
    Not really, I said on NeoGAF that the Wii version would be most successful by a country mile.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Even if its true, its still a ridiculous thing to put in a chart.

chartda6.png

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MS spin wrote:
    December NPD results are in and Xbox 360 highlights include:

* December ’08 was the biggest month for Xbox 360 in history
    * Xbox 360 sold more consoles, games and online entertainment experiences in 2008 than any previous year
    * In the all-important holiday quarter, Xbox 360 outsold PS3 by more than 2:1

Despite a decline in overall consumer spending during the holidays, video games continued to shine as a bright spot, with Xbox 360 registering record-setting numbers in December, selling 1.4 million consoles in the U.S. (December NPD data).

Not only did the Xbox 360 see its weekly sales run rate increase 38 percent compared to November, it also continued to outperform the PS3 by two-to-one for the third month in a row (December NPD data).

With third-party game sales for Xbox 360 increasing from $298 million in November to $504 million in December, it’s no surprise that Xbox 360 has generated more life-to-date dollars at retail for third-party publishers than the PS3 and Wii combined. “Gears of War 2,” “Call of Duty: World at War,” “Grand Theft Auto IV,” “Madden NFL 09,” “Left 4 Dead” and the critically acclaimed “Fable II” were some of the hottest Xbox 360 games in 2008. Three Xbox 360 games appeared on the top 10 list in December, including “Call of Duty: World at War,” “Left 4 Dead” and “Gears of War 2.” (December NPD data)

“Our goal for 2008 was to reach new audiences by bringing ground-breaking games and entertainment to Xbox 360,” said Don Mattrick, senior vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft. “Looking forward, new waves of innovation will extend our position as the global leader in interactive entertainment.”

As announced by Microsoft last week, Xbox LIVE continues to experience rapid growth; online transactions over Xbox LIVE grew 84 percent in 2008 over 2007. More than 40 million downloads took place through the LIVE Marketplace in December alone (Microsoft internal data). With consumer appetite for immediate online entertainment growing exponentially, Xbox LIVE is poised for another great year in 2009.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    wow, the 3rd party goalposts have been moved from originally units sold, to revenue, to revenue to date.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeowch, that's low for RB2 Wii. Looks like it definitely came out too soon after RB1 Wii.

So, no 2008 as a whole analysis? Guess I'll start...

The Wii did pretty goddamn good. It didn't break the record for top-selling non-handheld for December, but that's got to be a record for year total. It's very hard to say for sure, but given the industry anecdotes and my own personal observations it seems like the Wii was supply-constrained in December, and that we haven't hit the upper limit yet. Geez, that's staggering.

The 360 and PS3 I'll do together. The 360 had supply fuck-ups in January and Febuary, and continued to sputter a bit through to the price drop. Meanwhile the PS3 built up a bit of steam, and kept outselling it for a few months. This is why the year-end totals put the PS3 ahead. However, it seems to be based on the trend through September, which suddenly swung the other direction when 1) the 360's price finally hit the mass market sweet spot and 2) the recession suddenly redoubled and consumers freaked out, making the PS3 comparatively less attractive. December is a good illustration of that trend, as the 360 gained significantly from the previous December, while the PS3 lagged behind.

Going forward, the 360 may continue to pick up the pace and the PS3 may keep slowing as long as the PS3 keeps that albatross of a price. Who the hell knows when Wii supplies catch up with demand, that damn thing just defies conventional wisdom.

I'll update the OP tomorrow, I'm all tired out from acting like a babbling idiot in front of a newborn.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'll update the OP tomorrow, I'm all tired out from acting like a babbling idiot in front of a newborn.

Man, you'll fit right in.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeowch, that's low for RB2 Wii. Looks like it definitely came out too soon after RB1 Wii.

No, the problem was that it came out too late. The release date was Dec. 22, so anyone doing holiday shopping probably would have gone for GH:WT instead of waiting until the last minute for RB2.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    pslong9 wrote: »

No, the problem was that it came out too late. The release date was Dec. 22, so anyone doing holiday shopping probably would have gone for GH:WT instead of waiting until the last minute for RB2.

I completely forgot about that. Well, in that light, RB2 did pretty decently though it wasn't a monster hit.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The silliest thing about all of this is that Nintendo is wrecking our analysis. We only get the top 10 but it may as well be the top 6 or 7. We know Wii Play, Wii Fit and Mario Kart are selling well, and we don't doubt that MKDS has legs...what about those games that are just out of reach? I genuinely want to know about games like LBP but we don't get to see them.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZeemanZeeman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    * In December, Nintendo titles filled 20 of the top 30 spots on the best-seller list. Six games made for Nintendo systems placed in the top 10, including Wii Musicâ„¢ for Wii (No. 9), which has now sold 865,000 units following its launch in October 2008, and Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS (No. 7), which has sold a total of 4.3 million units 38 months after launch.

This is a little confusing, as NPD says Wii Music didn't chart.

Zeeman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    huh. I guess thats internal data vs NPD there.

Or more likely just an honest mistake by the PR writer.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. I was thinking maybe if you combine the two CoDs, but if Wii Music was 11th, that would only move them up to 10th. I'm confused.

Also, I'm disappointed in Wii Fit. They couldn't sell 1,000 more units to break 1 million for the month? Come on!

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    shit i dunno

I was thinking maybe they ranked the 20 of the N titles in the top 30 and Wii Music came in at No 9 there, but that makes no sense either.

Also MK.DS was 8, not 7..

wtf?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Saw this at GAF and thought it was really interesting:
    360 sales relatively flat despite a large price cut to a mainstream price $199
    PS3 sales up 38% for the year with no price cut.

Compared to last year, he's right. I mean whatever you think of their respective sales numbers, that is a strange lesson.

You could account for it by saying the 360 badly needed a price cut early in the year and just recently caught up...it's just something to think about.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Compared to last year, he's right. I mean whatever you think of their respective sales numbers, that is a strange lesson.

You could account for it by saying the 360 badly needed a price cut early in the year and just recently caught up...it's just something to think about.

Perhaps a combination of market saturation for the 360 (with a highish price in uncertain economic times) and a bigger stream of desired games for the PS3 (and a willingness to part with the money in these blahblahblah).

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

You could account for it by saying the 360 badly needed a price cut early in the year and just recently caught up...it's just something to think about. Further evidence that companies have few reasons to cut prices for us.

Yeah, but it was followed up with the notice that the price of the PS3 for 2008 was $100 less than it was for most of 2007.

I've got to say I'm a bit surprised at the 360 number being as high as it is. I'm curious if that number was at all boosted due to the Wii being supply-constrained - someone goes to a store to get a Wii, can't get one, gets a 360 instead. It's pure speculation, and if that was there, I'd imagine to be a very small number, but I could still see it happening.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    pslong9 wrote: »
    So, PS3 in December 2008 is confirmed to be down from December 2007. That's not a good sign.

SECRET GAME WILL SAVE THEM!

Secret game is Wii.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well of course the PS3 is going to be up from 2007. The PS3's 2007 was absolutely atrocious. It was expensive and had barely any worthwhile exclusives that people actually knew about in the mainstream. This year it wasn't exactly awesome sales-wise, but having $400 and 2 of its most anticipated mainstream exclusives of the generation, I'd certainly hope it did better than its horrible, horrible 2007.

And of course the 360 is the same/level. 2007 was the Year of Halo 3. If one thing is going to cause Xbox sales to jump up, it's going to be Halo. The only thing that can cause 360 sales to spike the way they did with Halo is either with another Halo, or a pricedrop. Although I'd contend that the pricedrop is going to have longer-lasting effects. However, Halo and the Pricedrop landed at about the same time in their respective years; so while the Halo-sales effect sort of simmered down, I think that the $199 price of the 360 will keep sales stronger for a longer period of time.

If you're looking at overall year's sales, you have to consider that the $199 price was only for a small, short period during that year; the rest of the year was >$199 MSRP.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I am not a GAF person, and only saw later that the person who posted it was a notorious spinster...the PS3 had more room to grow and the 360 is coming off a successful 07.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Another thing to keep in mind for PS3 sales is that in the beginning of January, HD-DVD bit the dust and the PS3 was the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market and also supported 2.0. Lately Blu-ray player prices have dropped significantly and thus the PS3 sales couldn't continue that momentum into the holiday season as it was no longer the top choice for Blu-ray players among non-gamers.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I am not a GAF person, and only saw later that the person who posted it was a notorious spinster...the PS3 had more room to grow and the 360 is coming off a successful 07.

Yeah, the only reason no one thinks Private Hoffman is a shill is that a shill would be far, far more subtle.

Also from gaf(about that Nintendo chart):
    Fuzzy wrote:
    The original image is a lot bigger (1264x1127) than the one posted here and it's much easier to read.

Haha, maybe that has to do with wanting it to print up nice but, really Nintendo I don't that that graph conveys so much info that it has to be quite so big. :lol:

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So according to Kotaku, Dell is selling PS3s and 360s at a discount again.
    Kotaku wrote:
    Sure, 360 consoles are getting cheaper, but they're still not cheap. And the PS3? Yeah, nowhere near cheap. So it's nice to see, of all people, Dell come to the rescue.

They're currently offering crazy prices on both 360 and PS3 consoles, slashing $60 off the price of an Elite 360, $90 off a Pro 360 (as an Endwar bundle), $75 off the 120GB Uncharted PS3 and $60 off a vanilla 80GB PS3.

Those are as hefty as official cuts, so they're definitely worth a look if you're still sitting on this generation's console fence and have some Christmas cash still lying around.
    Anyone have some explanation for what Dell hopes to get out of this kind of thing?

Normally the margins on consoles are slim and I can't imagine it makes sense to have loss leaders for a business like Dell's.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    LTDs
    Playstation 2: 43,646,222
    Nintendo DS: 27,504,433
    Wii: 17,540,815
    PSP: 14,258,702
    Xbox 360: 13,888,795
    Playstation 3: 6,788,544

Call of Duty: World at War: 3.87m
    360: 2.74m
    PS3: 1.13m

Left 4 Dead (360): 1.039m

Guitar Hero: World Tour (Wii): 1.508m

Gears of War 2: 2.305m

From Anihawk at gaf

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    huh, there was that one article about the PS2 doing 50M in the US.

What source of numbers doesnt round off at least those last 3 digits?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/945/945563p1.html
    Here are the top 10 selling games by revenue generated for December:

1. Wii Fit – Wii
    2. Guitar Hero World Tour – Wii
    3. Wii Play w/Remote – Wii
    4. Call of Duty: World at War – Xbox 360
    5. Mario Kart – Wii
    6. Gears of War 2 – Xbox 360
    7. Rock Band 2 – Xbox 360
    8. Left 4 Dead – Xbox 360
    9. Call of Duty: World at War – PlayStation 3
    10. Rock Band 2 – Wii

To date, the three home consoles have sold a combined 38.2 million units. At the same point in the last hardware cycle, 38 months in, 36.9 million units had been sold.
    NPD has also released data for the entire calendar year of 2008. Here are the top 10 games for all of 2008 across all platforms by revenue:

1. Rock Band – Multiple Platforms
    2. Wii Fit – Wii
    3. Guitar Hero World Tour – Multiple Platforms
    4. Grand Theft Auto IV – Multiple Platforms
    5. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock – Multiple Platforms
    6. Mario Kart – Wii
    7. Madden NFL 09 – Multiple Platforms
    8. Wii Play w/ Remote – Wii
    9. Call of Duty: World at War – Multiple Platforms
    10. Super Smash Brothers: Brawl – Wii

When you limit the list to just Xbox 360 software for 2008, the top 10 is as follows:

1. Grand Theft Auto IV
    2. Call of Duty: World at War
    3. Rock Band
    4. Gears of War 2
    5. Madden NFL 09
    6. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
    7. Fable II
    8. Rock Band 2
    9. Left 4 Dead
    10. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Good point.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Has the Sony PR been posted yet?
    http://kotaku.com/5132280/sony-responds-to-december-npd-sales-seems-pleased
    After removal of stupid shit or shit we already know:
    PS3 also generated one of its strongest months in software unit sales in the U.S., with almost 6 million units sold in December. For the calendar year, PS3 software unit sales increased 116%.
    * Top three most downloaded games in December included Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Soldner-X: Himmelssturmer and Linger in Shadows.
    * Top three most downloaded movies in December included The Dark Knight, Step Brothers, and GetSmart.
    In December, more than 3.7 million software units were sold for PSP, including popular hits such as Madden NFL 09, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 and Lego Batman: The Videogame.

* The PSP exclusive titles Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and God of War: Chains of Olympus, which both launched in March, were the top two most popular titles of 2008 and sold a combined 1,313,893 units in 2008.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I'm pretty sure it is 50 million in NA so Canada may have bought about 7 million PS2s.

Couscous on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Heyo, so here are the prediction results:

ArcSyn - 1167000
    plufim - 1486000
    lowlylowlycook - 1491000
    chasm - 1875000
    Unco-ordinated - 1986000
    Cullen - 1989000
    JCRooks - 2036000
    bigwah - 2470000
    Sheep - 2636000
    cloudeagle - 3636000

Congrats to ArcSyn, he dominated where it counted. Was within 200k of the Wii, had the closest NDS prediction and called the 360 within 2,000 units. Overall it looks like the biggest surprise was the NDS which is kinda amusing. DS was the worst prediction for half of the participants.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Good point.

I asked in the gaf thread and the 50M includes Canada, apparently.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think we should think about something for a second.

The two most popular games on PSP sold a COMBINED 1.3 million copies. COMBINED, since March of '08.

No, seriously, why does PSP have no software sales? Is piracy really that high?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Htown wrote: »
    I think we should think about something for a second.

The two most popular games on PSP sold a COMBINED 1.3 million copies. COMBINED, since March of '08.

No, seriously, why does PSP have no software sales? Is piracy really that high?

In my experience? Most of the good games are no longer in print, and most stores have an extremely small selection.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Holy fucking shit!

10. Rock Band 2 – Wii

Tenth best revenue-generating game!? That game was only available for like a couple of days of December towards the very end, after most people had completed their xmas shopping!

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    A lot of PSP games are low key.

Atlus/NIS does a lot of publishing for the likes of Idea Factory and Gust for instance. They did manage 3.7m software units in December. I guess its just REALLY spread out.

Certainly I'm not going to go so far as to suggest that the situation is healthy. When the machine does so many things, you cant fault people for doing just that. Theres probably a lot of music listening going on, the occasional UMD. In Japan, skype? and GPS. Putting videos on a memory card. And yes, the occasional piracy.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A lot of PSP games are low key.

Atlus/NIS does a lot of publishing for the likes of Idea Factory and Gust for instance. They did manage 3.7m software units in December. I guess its just REALLY spread out.

Certainly I'm not going to go so far as to suggest that the situation is healthy. When the machine does so many things, you cant fault people for doing just that. Theres probably a lot of music listening going on, the occasional UMD. In Japan, skype? and GPS. Putting videos on a memory card. And yes, the occasional piracy.

Another problem I personally find is that if I walk into a store, when the amount of available Wii and DS games outnumber PSP games like 6 to 1, I'm more likely to find a DS game I want more than a PSP game.

Loco Roco, for example, I wanted for the longest time, but it never dropped below $40. That higher than 98% of the DS games, so every time I went to purchase it I ended up with a DS game I wanted for less, sometimes ending up with two DS games for $40.

Thank god LR2 is $20, so I might actually buy it day one.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Holy fucking shit!

10. Rock Band 2 – Wii

Tenth best revenue-generating game!? That game was only available for like a couple of days of December towards the very end, after most people had completed their xmas shopping!

150,000 units * $190 (?) = $28,500,000

$28,500,000 / $60 = 475,000 units for a PS3 or 360 game to beat it

$28,500,000 / $50 = 570,000 units for a Wii game to beat it

Of course, that's assuming all 150,000 units were the full bundle. But even so, given the high price of the full bundle, it's not quite as surprising. Imagine where it would be if it had come out earlier in December.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Sony marketed the PSP as a portable Playstation. A lot of people bought it as a portable Playstation. So stuff like GTA was really popular. Pretty quickly people realized that they'd just as much or prefer to play these games on a PS2 or other console. So they stopped buying games for it, but continued to use the system for media. I think modding for both legit and illegitimate purposes was a factor, but probably not the overwhelming factor. Software sales started to tank. But dev costs for the PSP are still extremely high to make a game like GTA:LCS or God of War, so developers/publishers threw up their hands. They have to spend near-console levels of budget on a relatively small user base only to have their software never get bought. The only option is to create games with tiny budgets, like Atlus/SNK do. The only companies that can get away with high budget affairs are Sony and S-E. Because S-E can rely on Japan. And Sony has to support the thing, it's their own system.

Considering how expensive to produce and how high budget God of War and the Crisis Core games were, I see 1.3M combined sales for the whole year as pretty soft. I mean, sure, these games made money for their publishers, I have no doubt. But that seems pretty poor considering the console-level production value and marketing expenses these companies probably poured into these games, and that they were probably the most high profile games released for the system all year.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    RE: PSP sales

In case anyone missed it, I did a lot of legwork to get an overview of the PSP and Nintendo DS games releases and how they compare to previous years.

I"ll repost it here:

96854456ej7.jpg

OK.

Approximately 59 PSP games were released in 2008 in the USA.

About 180 NDS games were released in 2008 in the USA, removing repeats like dual pokemon releases etc.

That's 4.9 PSP games a month, and 15 NDS games a month.

About 20 PSP games from 2008 are good, 25 if you take the best sports games too (rounding up).

About 45 or so NDS games from 2008 are good, rounding down, but perhaps a few more (50 or so) depending on your feeling towards certain genres (like Roguelikes and Adventure games) and not including any sports games

That's roughly 2 good PSP games a month, and roughly 3.75 good NDS games a month.

And by "good" i mean based on general forum opinion that I've seen within each recommendation thread we have.

About 411 total PSP games have been released over the course of 45 months, or roughly 9.1 games per month, or 109.6 games a year.

About 573 total NDS games have been released over the course of 49 months or so, or roughly 11.6 games per month, or 140 games a year.

The NDS has seen an upward trend in releases, as you can see that this year they have been way above the average (from 140 to 180). The PSP has seen a decline in recent years, as it has gone down from its overall average (from 109 to 59 - almost half).

The most very striking thing to observe has been in the last year, though, 2008, where PSP software releases (and announcements) have dropped significantly, whereas NDS releases went up real fast 2 or 3 years ago, and then have been steadily increasing, thus the NDS current year is much higher than its overall average, as more games are planned for and released on it.

Approximately 14 PSP announced games have release dates for the first half of 2009 as of this writing, whereas about 71 announced NDS games have release dates for the first half of 2009 as of this writing.

Here is the list:

PSP:
    Patapon - Feb 26, 08
    Wipeout Pulse - Feb 12, 08

God of War COO - March 4, 08
    Crisis Core - March 25, 08
    Flow - Mar 6, 08

EchoCrhome - May 1, 08
    SNK Classics - May 5, 08

Space Inv Ext - June 17, 08
    Hot Shots OT2 - June 3, 08
    Secret Agent Clank - June 17, 08

N+ - Aug 26, 2008

Ygdra Union - Sept 16, 08
    Star Wars TFU - Sept 16, 08

Star Ocean - Oct 21, 08
    Orochi Saga - Oct 28, 08

Loco Roco 2 - Nov 21, 08

Super Stardust - Dec 4, 08
    EveryDay Shooter - Dec 4, 08

Pursuit Force EJ - Jan 29, 08
    Harvey Birdman - Jan 8, 08
    Bomberman Land - Jan 29 08
    Rainbow Islands - Jan 24

Downstream Panic - Feb 5, 08
    Puzzle Guzzle - Feb 26, 08
    NFS Prostreet - Feb 18, 08
    Dungeon Explorer WoAA - Feb 15, 08
    Blokus portable - Feb 26, 08

MLB 08 - Mar 4, 08
    Pro Evo 08 - Mar 11, 08
    Flatout: HO - Mar 11, 08
    WildArms Xf - Mar 11, 08
    MLB 2k8 - Mar 4, 08
    Warriors Orochi - Mar 25, 08
    Ford Racing - Mar 14
    King of Clubs - Mar 1

RType Command - May 6, 08
    UEFA Euro 08 - May 19, 08
    Iron Man - May 2

Lego Indy - June 3, 08
    Naruto Ninja Heroes 2 - Jun 24, 08
    Wall E - Jun 24, 08
    Hellboy - June 24

Fading Shadows - Aug 27, 08
    Madden 09 - Aug 12, 08
    BBoy - Aug 26, 08

Buzz! MQ - Sept 23, 08
    Pipe Mania - Sep 30, 08
    Lego Batman - Sep 23

NBA 09 - Oct 7, 08
    Fifa 09 - Oct 14, 08
    Midnight Club LA R - Oct 20, 08
    Neverland Cardbattles - Oct 27, 08
    Valhalla Knights 2 - Oct1

Pro Evo 09 - Nov 7, 08
    WWE SDvR 09 - Nov 9, 08
    Shaun White - Nov 16, 08
    Buzz! BB - Nov 28, 08
    TC's EndWar - Nov 4, 08
    NFS Undercover - Nov 17, 08

NDS:
    Advance Wars DOR - Jan 21

Professor Layton ATCV - Feb 11
    Apollo Justice - Feb 19

Ninja Gaiden DS - March 25
    World Ends with You - Apr 22, 08
    Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles - Mar 11
    Nanostray 2 - Mar 11
    Shiren the Wanderer - Mar 4

Drone Tactics - May 13

Space Inv Extreme - June 17
    Etrian Odyssey 2 - Juen 13
    Final Fantasy Tactics a2 - Jun 24
    Summon Night Twin Age - Jun 3
    GH:OT - Jun 22
    Soul Bubbles - Jun 10

Final Fantasy IV - July 22
    Civilization Revo - Jul 8
    Truama Center 2 - Jul 1

Bangai O - Aug 12
    N+ - Aug 26
    GRID DS - Aug 5
    Harvest Moon IoH - Aug 26

Viva Pinata PP - Sep 9
    Disgaea - Sept 23
    Locks' Quest - Sep 8
    Dragon Quest IV - Sep 15
    Kirby SSU - Sep 22
    Sonic Chronicles - Sept 30
    Spore Creatures - Sep 7
    Time Hollow - Sep 23

Bleach Dark Souls - Oct 7
    Castlevania: OOE - Oct 21, 08
    NinjaTown - Oct 28
    Spiderman Web of Shadows - Oct 21

Chrono Trigger DS - Nov 24
    KORG DS - NOv 4
    Rune Factory 2 - Nov 18
    Robocalypse - Nov 18
    Age of Empires Myth - Nov 24
    Dragon Bal Z Origins - Nov 4
    COD:World at War - Nov 11
    Luminous Arc 2 - Nov 18
    GH:OT Decades - Nov 16
    Skate it - Nov 17
    Metal Slug 7 - Nov 18
    Little Read Riding Hood Zombie BBQ - Nov 6
    Exit DS - Nov 3

Bomberman Land T2 - Jan 29
    Jackass - Jan 8
    Mario & Sonic - Jan 22
    Brain Chalenge - Jan 8
    Miami Nights - Jan 15
    Mega Brain Boost - Jan 22

Maths Training - Feb 8
    Naurto Ninja Destiny - Feb 26
    Spiderwick Feb 5
    Zoo Tycoon 2 - feb 4
    Assasin's Creed - febn 2
    Dungeon Explorer - Feb 13
    Buble Bobble DS - Feb 26
    Brain Asst - Feb 28
    Spitfire Heroes - Feb 26
    Fifa Setret 3 - Feb 18
    Paint by DS - Fe 16
    Homie Rolerz - Feb 26
    My horse and me - FE 5

Sega SS Tennsi - Mar 18
    Lost in Blue 3 - mar 18
    Pro evo 08 - Mar 11
    Eco Creatures - Mar 4
    insecticide - Mar 11
    Ninaj Reflex - Mar 4
    Hurry Up Hedghog - Mar 28
    Chicken Hunter - Mar 4
    Best of Test - Mar 4

Rondo o Swords - Ap 15
    Teenage zombies - apr 15
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Time - Ap 20/ Pokemon MD Darkness - Apr 20
    MLB 2k8 - Apr 14
    River King MV - Ap 22
    High School MNuscial 2 - Apr 15
    Toy Shop - Ma 5

Speed Racer - May 6
    CrossWods DS - May 5
    Super Dogeball Brawlers - May 27
    DRagon hunters - may 1
    CHron of Narnia Prince Caspian - Ma 15
    Iron Man - May 2
    Brain GVoyage - Ma 5
    Top Trumps Dr. Who - May 16

Lego Indy - Jun 3
    Kung fu panda - Jun 3
    Looney Tunes Conductor - Jun 10
    Top Spin 3 - Jun 23
    Cake Mania 2 - Jun 24
    Arkanoid DS - Jun 17
    Mega man SF2ZXN - Jun 24 / Mega man SF2ZXF - Jun 24
    Walle - Jun 24
    Increible Hulk - Jun 5
    Code Lyoko - Jun 17
    Jake Hunter DC - Jun 10
    Wacky Races - Jun 18
    Juorney/Center of Earth - Jun 30

Int' T&F - July 22
    Doodlehex - jul 11
    Izuna 2 - Jul 22
    Touch Darts - Jul1
    MNister Slime - Jul 15
    Carnival Games - Jul 9
    Nancy Drew Clue Bender - Jul 23
    Garfield Funfest - jul 29
    Mummy Dragon Empror - Jul 22

Puzzler colln - Aug 5
    MLB Power Pros - 08
    Ferari Chalenge Trofeo - Aug 26
    Commando DS - Aug 18
    Fromn the Abyss - Aug 26
    Pictoimage - Aug 27
    Little League WS - Aug 5
    Sims 2 Aparmtnent - Aug 27
    Wordmaster - Aug 12
    Digimon WC - Aug 27

Lego Batman - Sep 23
    Princess Debut - Sep 30
    Pipe Mania - Spe 30
    Simcity Creatror - Sep 22
    Mystery Case Files MH - Sep 8
    Drawn to Life Spongebob - Sep 15
    Unsolved Crimes - Sep 30
    Air Trarffic Chaos - Sep 9
    Rhapsody - Sep 23
    Dino King - Sep 23
    Star Wars TFU - Sep 16
    Shaunm the Sheep - Sep 23
    LOL - Sep 12
    Line Rider 2 - Sep 16
    Pirates: Dual on High Seas - Sep 12
    Animal Pardise - Sp 23
    Red Bul BC 1 - Sep 15

Fifa Soccer 09 - Oct 14
    Transformers AG - Oct 21
    Zubo - Oct 3
    Mechanic Master - OC 21
    Touchmaster 2 - Oc 21
    Sepctrobes BTP - Oc 4
    Legend of Kage 2 - Oc 7
    Away Shuffle ng - Oct 30
    Rubiks' Wolrd - Oc 27
    Prey the Stars - Oc 7
    Master of Monster Lair - Oc 21
    Naruto Path 2 - Oc 14
    Therisa - Oc 30
    Tornaodo - Oc 21
    Runaway - Oc 17
    Mysims Kingdom - oc 28
    Legendo ofo Spyhro DawnDragon - Oc 21
    What's Cooking With Jamie Oliver - Oc 21
    Crash Mind over mutant - oc 7

Personal Trainer Cooking - Nov 24
    Monster Lab - Nov 4
    Kung fu panda - Nov 4
    Ultiamte Band - Nov 25
    Tomb Raider UW - Nov 18
    Real Soccer - nov 4
    Endware - NOv 4
    Neoptts Puzzle Advr - Nov 25
    Star Wars the Clone Wrs - Nov 11
    Tecmo Bowl Kickoff - NOv 11
    POkemon Rangfer - NOv 10
    Guitar Rock Tour - nov 2
    Cradle of Rome - Nov 18
    Populous DS - NOv 11
    WWE 09 - Nov 9
    Syberia - nov 25
    Bolt - Nov 18
    Need for Speed - Nov 17
    Dungeon Maker - Nov 14
    Quantum of Solace - Nov 4
    Tony Hawk Hue Pxl - Nov 18

Prince of Persia Falen King - Dec 2
    Mushroom Men - Dec 2

If you don't believe my 2008 data, I invite you to click on my "list of all threads started by slash000" and open every "Week O Games" thread I've ever made and see for yourself.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    US LTD at the 26 month mark:

Wii: 17.54m
    GBA: 14.71m
    PS2: 12.99m
    NDS: 9.13m
    X360: 9.12m
    Xbox: 7.68m
    PSP: 7.41m
    PS3: 6.79m
    GCN: 6.73m

Wii = PS2 + 35.03%
    Xbox 360 = Xbox + 18.75%
    PS3 = GCN + 0.89%

Total Wii+360+PS3 = 33.45M
    Total PS2+Xbox+GCN = 27.4

This gen = last gen + 22.08%

The DS is the part I dont believe. Tracking below the GBA? I mean I know it kinda did shitty for a while, but seriously?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Here are the top 10 games for all of 2008 across all platforms by revenue:

1. Rock Band – Multiple Platforms

Sure it had a bit of a head start, compared to GH, but I think that it's pretty clear that the original RB got pretty damn good penetration into the wii market, so I think it's probably a bit premature to count RB2 out. With only a bit more than a week in december, I expect RB2wii to easily make the january top 10.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png