Options

Video Game Sales Thread: December thread over, go use the new one

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DS...has been out longer than 26 months.

Look at it another way.

GBA came out in 2001, and basically killed off GBC support.

When the DS came out in late 2004 the GBA was still in full swing, in fact it only truely died near the very end of those 2 years+2 months.

26 months only brings the DS to 2007. That's before Pokemon.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Makes sense that Rock Band is #1 on the revenue chart since besides the initial high fee for all the instruments, it's been making insane amounts of money off of DLC.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Much to the chagrin of some folks, I'm back. I didn't mean to imply I was "gone for good", just that I had dinner plans. :)

And before you ask, yes, I do think there's a lot of Nintendo fanboygasms that happen in places like here and other forums, especially when NPD numbers come out. It's just the way it is, and if folks like to revel in numbers, so be it. (Although I do find it ironic that the very same people were thinking that Wii sales of under 3 million were "big disappointment", so I guess reveling in numbers is a good way to "cope")

Anyway, regarding the DS sales and why they're not doing as well as the GBA ... I think some context must be missing. This is why I am generally not a fan of launch-aligned measurements (aka "X months/years after launch"). Yes they are useful, but I think they can be dangerous just by themselves. It doesn't include the context of what's going on. For example, what was the price of the DS and GBA at their respective launches? How many model revisions did they go through since then? How many price drops occurred? What was the state of the economy then? What competition was present? Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Such charts and numbers would be fine, in the "all things being equal" scenario, but that's just not the case here.

If we do some research, there might be some very good reasons why the DS is "underperforming" the GBA. Personally, I think a big reason is competition. The GBA had none, while the DS had the PSP. So of course that is going to make it a more competitive environment.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In the "no duh" recession news for today, the games industry may be "recession proof" but it's not entirely invincible:

Games 'Already Affected' by Recession, says NPD
    http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/games-already-in-recession-says-npd/?biz=1
    Dallas, Texas — During a lunch session at the Game Business Law summit, hosted at SMU's law school, The NPD Group's senior account manager, Michael Klotz, noted that in the United States, one out of every four entertainment dollars was spent on games.

"Previously, people thought that games might be recession-proof," Klotz said, addressing the elephant in the room. Klotz points out those numbers were early in the year, before most people had begun to feel the effects of a recession. But later in the year, those numbers have dropped.

August had 9% growth over last year. September saw a 7% decline. October had 12% growth, and November grew by 8%. Klotz believes that those numbers should have mirrored the blistering growth experienced earlier in the year.

"We're already being affected by the recession," states Klotz. One of the good things about the video game industry, Klotz reports from consumer surveys, is that gamers have no plans to spend less on games in the future.

He believes the PlayStation 2 provides an incredible value to consumers who want to play Guitar Hero, don't own a home console, and will not spend four-hundred dollars on a next-gen system.

"The game industry is growing, but it has been impacted by the recession," concludes Klotz. "We probably would have seen even more growth if it hadn't been impacted by the current economic climate in the U.S."

We talked about this a few weeks ago, and he makes the point I was trying to make then (although I wasn't very clear at the time). While the games industry is still seeing plenty of year-over-year growth, it certainly could be a lot higher if the country (world?) weren't so deeply in a recession.

Sure, some companies are doing quite well, but many others are struggling. That explains many of the layoffs and closures happening throughout. It will be interesting to see the industry shape itself over the next year or so. In many ways, "thinning out" may be a good thing, as the truly successful companies survive and are hopefully rewarded for being innovative, efficient, etc.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JCRooks wrote: »
    Much to the chagrin of some folks, I'm back. I didn't mean to imply I was "gone for good", just that I had dinner plans. :)

And before you ask, yes, I do think there's a lot of Nintendo fanboygasms that happen in places like here and other forums, especially when NPD numbers come out. It's just the way it is, and if folks like to revel in numbers, so be it. (Although I do find it ironic that the very same people were thinking that Wii sales of under 3 million were "big disappointment", so I guess reveling in numbers is a good way to "cope")

Thank you kind sir, for allowing us to wank over the numbers for another month. We'll let you return to your work after we've swept up the place.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Swept up the place? I think it will be more of a mopping up situation.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    (Although I do find it ironic that the very same people were thinking that Wii sales of under 3 million were "big disappointment", so I guess reveling in numbers is a good way to "cope")
    You do understand this isn't a Nintendo thing, right? I just want to be entertained. :) It'd be equally amazing (more amazing!) if the PS3 or 360 suddenly jumped to 2 or 3 million. I like seeing such high numbers resulting from my hobby, [cliche] especially with the economy like this. [/cliche]

We sure have come a long way. I remember when hardly anyone had or liked video games in my area. Now you really can't go anywhere without seeing or hearing about them.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think an interesting topic of discussion, moving on, would be the Wii sales.

Supply constrained on purpose? The Yen/dollar situation might indicate so. If that is the case how do you account for last month with it's nearly double year on year sales.

Is 2 million a month a production ceiling or an active restriction on sales. Or perhaps a demand ceiling. Anecdotes have been flying about how supply constrained the Wii was, and while I can't account for America and any anecdotes mean little if anything in my experience this holiday the Wii hasn't been anywhere near as out of stock as it was the year prior. January is when all the games and peripherals disappeared from the shelves here in the UK.

I guess this is really a question of 2009 Wii sales. Will they mirror 2008. Is the bubble ever going to burst? My guess is no. I can see it continuing for some time.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I think an interesting topic of discussion, moving on, would be the Wii sales.

Supply constrained on purpose? The Yen/dollar situation might indicate so. If that is the case how do you account for last month with it's nearly double year on year sales.

Is 2 million a month a production ceiling or an active restriction on sales. Or perhaps a demand ceiling. Anecdotes have been flying about how supply constrained the Wii was, and while I can't account for America and any anecdotes mean little if anything in my experience this holiday the Wii hasn't been anywhere near as out of stock as it was the year prior. January is when all the games and peripherals disappeared from the shelves here in the UK.

I guess this is really a question of 2009 Wii sales. Will they mirror 2008. Is the bubble ever going to burst? My guess is no. I can see it continuing for some time.

I said this at the end of last year, but I don't expect the Wii bubble to "burst" so much as slowly deflate over time.

How long that time takes is beyond me. Though I will say I doubt the Wii will ever eclipse the PS2 (Now the DS') record now that it failed to do so this year. I think it's still be monstrously successful, but not to the point in which we can expect it will realistically sell 2.7 million plus in a month.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Supply constrained on purpose?

I don't think that that console is supply-constrained, but Europe is eating large share of the shipments. During last year, Nintendo sold roughly 700 000* Wiis per month in Europe, and actual installed userbase is already nearly same as in US.

* Nintendo has reported that it sold 8.3 million Wiis in Europe during 2008.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I'm glad there are no Sony or Microsoft fanboys in here crowing every time something positive happens in their camp.

People need to learn about stones and their effects on glass houses

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey, so I thought this was pretty cool

Left 4 Dead (360): 1.039m

Over a million on the 360 alone, supposedly the inferior version? Hot damn, Valve gotta be happy with that.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ps3vs3609qw9.png

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/npd-pc-game-sales-fall-14-in-2008/?biz=1
    While the console video game market has been soaring (as demonstrated by the just released NPD 2008 totals), PC game sales aren't so hot – from a retail perspective, that is. The NPD Group has revealed to GameDaily BIZ that PC games totaled just $701 million in 2008, which is down 14 percent from 2007.

It's important to keep in mind, however, that this NPD data concerns retail data only and does not include sales of digitally downloaded games, micro-transactions, online subscriptions, etc. The NPD Group recently started paying more attention to online revenue with its quarterly subscription tracker, but this data does not include that. NPD is expected to release more in-depth information on the PC games market next week.

When looking at the complete PC games picture, many in the industry would argue that the market is actually quite healthy. Games for Windows - Live Senior Marketing Manager Michael Wolf told us back in November, "The PC gaming industry is not in decline; it's evolving and it's definitely evolving to a more online market. I believe the PC is the cradle of innovation; there's always new things happening on the PC."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32966/NPD-Xbox-360-enjoys-its-biggest-ever-North-American-December
    Xbox 360 sold 1.4m units in December according to NPD stats, with sales climbing 38 per cent week-on-week through the period and bettering PS3’s 726,000 unit sales. Third party games sales for the platform also shot from $298m in November to $504m in December.
    That means it sold 8.4 million games at a minimum in December.

For Sony:
    PS3 also generated one of its strongest months in software unit sales in the U.S., with almost 6 million units sold in December.
    That is all of the software sales and not just the third party software sales. Nintendo just said that it beat out the other consoles in software sales.

Edit: Shut the hell up about the fanboy crap. Complaining about fanboy wankery is fanboy wankery itself.

Edit 2: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/8259189
    Square Enix
    * Year-end demand healthy despite economy
    * On track to hit annual operating profit forecast
    * Likely to miss 2010/11 recurring profit target (Adds details, background)

In the longer term, Wada said the company now appears likely to miss its recurring profit target of 50 billion yen for the year ending in March 2011, given the global downturn and a firmer yen, which eats into exporters' revenues when converted into the Japanese currency.
    "It's going to be tough ... Just when we are trying to boost our overseas sales, the yen is getting firmer," Wada said.
    Japanese videogame software makers including Square Enix and rivals Konami Corp and Capcom Co Ltd will need to expand their overseas presence as the population in Japan is shrinking as well as ageing rapidly.
    He said, however, the company will continue working towards that goal through various steps including business alliances with other software makers.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Where is the second half of that graph showing the extra year the 360 has had?

Or furthermore, someone superimpose the Wii sales on top, if they fit on that scale.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Whoa. How the hell has this thread slipped to page 2 less than 24 horus after NPD hits?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Whoa. How the hell has this thread slipped to page 2 less than 24 horus after NPD hits?

I believe it's tradition to fall asleep after that amount of furious masturbation.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Analyst: Water is wet.
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/analyst-wii-sales-suffered-dec-supply
    Jesse Divnich with Electronic Entertainment Design and Research admitted he "missed the mark" with his 3 million-plus unit sales projection for December. However he explained, "These Wii figures are not any indication that is demand slowing down. The Nintendo Wii is going through supply just as quick as they have before and these numbers merely reflect the large disparity between supply and demand.

In November, Wii sold 2.04 million units in the U.S., and going by previous hardware trends, the console should have outperformed that figure in December by a "significant margin" if supply were up to the task, Divnich said.

"We still believe the Nintendo Wii would have sold north of 4 million units have supply and demand been in equilibrium."

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    darleysam wrote: »

I believe it's tradition to fall asleep after that amount of furious masturbation.

What!? I always just play a videogame afterwords. It would be insane to fall asleep three times a day.

Couscous on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really don't think that, in this thread, it's fanboy masterbation... I think it's more like us being gobsmacked that a console, ANY console, can sell that goddamn much and be supply-constrained on its third Christimas. It's amazement at the achievement, not the company. I'm sure most of us would be similarly gobsmacked by the numbers if they were pulled off by a Microsoft or Sony product.

Another thing to remember is that just because something is doing fantastically well, doesn't mean that the competition is doing horrible. Both Coke and Pepsi bring in bales of money no matter which one is ahead. Considering the amount of sales the 360 is pulling and the margins on their console, Microsoft is doing quite well with the 360. Hell, in a vacuum the PS3's December numbers aren't that bad, comparatively... though they look a lot worse when you consider that they lose a chunk of money off each console sold and that the month to month numbers are trending downward.

Really, the best thing to do is just breathe and remember that just because we're acknowledging the numbers -- be they up or down -- it doesn't necessarily make us fanboys, as long as we give those numbers fair analysis. And hell, if we weren't acknowledging the numbers this wouldn't be the sales thread, right?

Speaking of acknowledging the numbers... oy, did I suck at predictions this month.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "We still believe the Nintendo Wii would have sold north of 4 million units have supply and demand been in equilibrium."

I believe it... my wife sent me a text yesterday "All the girls* were talking about wii fit, we gotta get that"
    Of course her enthusiasm for it dwindled a bit once she realized it would cost about $400 after taxes to get a wii and wii fit, but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with one. It also shows you how popular the wii is with women.

* girls in this case were other women at MOPS (Mothers Of PreSchoolers) its like a woman's club thing.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So according to Kotaku, Dell is selling PS3s and 360s at a discount again.
    Kotaku wrote:
    Sure, 360 consoles are getting cheaper, but they're still not cheap. And the PS3? Yeah, nowhere near cheap. So it's nice to see, of all people, Dell come to the rescue.

They're currently offering crazy prices on both 360 and PS3 consoles, slashing $60 off the price of an Elite 360, $90 off a Pro 360 (as an Endwar bundle), $75 off the 120GB Uncharted PS3 and $60 off a vanilla 80GB PS3.

Those are as hefty as official cuts, so they're definitely worth a look if you're still sitting on this generation's console fence and have some Christmas cash still lying around.
    Anyone have some explanation for what Dell hopes to get out of this kind of thing?

Normally the margins on consoles are slim and I can't imagine it makes sense to have loss leaders for a business like Dell's.

It's odd... Dell did deals like this before the holidays, and continued some of them. I just used them to buy an Arcade 360 after my Pro croaked, and they even threw in free shipping. I've also been wondering how they can keep this up, but apparently they are.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Breaking news: Circuit City didn't survive the recession.
    Circuit City Stores says it has reached an agreement with liquidators to sell the merchandise in its 567 U.S. stores after failing to find a buyer or refinancing.

The second-biggest electronics retailer in the nation says in court papers that it has appointed Great American Group, Hudson Capital Partners, SB Capital Group and Tiger Capital Group as liquidators.

Calls to the Richmond, Va.-based company and the liquidators were not immediately returned.

Circuit City filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in November. U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Kevin Huennekens gave the company permission to liquidate if a buyout was not achieved.

Circuit City was due to present the results of an auction for its assets at a hearing in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Richmond, Va., Friday. It had conducted negotiations with potential bidders to sell the company, but told the court last week it may need to liquidate if no deal was reached.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2009-01-16-circuit-city-liquidation_N.htm?csp=34

Circuit City has sucked a fatty for years, but it's still pretty eerie to see the second-largest electronics store in the nation go under.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    More potentially bad news: Microsoft is exploring job cuts.
    In a rare move, the higher ups at Microsoft are contemplating widespread job cuts as a reaction to the ongoing economic upheaval, reports the Wall Street Journal.

"Microsoft Corp. is seriously exploring significant work force reductions," says the financial paper of note in a report published this morning. The Journal believes the firm's official plans could be revealed "as early as next week."

The Journal fails to specify just how many people could be let go or which divisions would see the hits. Instead, the focus of the piece seems to be on illustrating the immensity and widespread damage caused by the current U.S. financial situation.

The Journal almost seems stunned that Microsoft -- a firm the report labels "one of the steadiest ships in the technology industry" -- would be forced to lay people off.

Our readers will recall similarly bleak news from Reuters regarding key Microsoft competitor Sony mere days ago.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/01/wsj-job-cuts-po.html

I hope Rooks is doing okay.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So with CC going under...better sales for us? I'm guessing no, since most liquidators actually charge MSRP or higher...

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Does this mean I can expect great sales at my local Circuit city?

Really, the writing was on the wall that Circuit City was probably screwed.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So with CC going under...better sales for us? I'm guessing no, since most liquidators actually charge MSRP or higher...

Damn. I'm going to miss the five and ten dollar sales.

Couscous on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't normally follow the numbers closely, but when I see Sony and EA having negative net profit, I can't help but feel worried for this industry in the coming year.

Edit - I never cared for Circuit City. I don't think some crazy domino effect is going to happen with electronics stores, but it does go to show how bad things in general are starting to get.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Supposedly the liquidators for the Circuit City stores that already closed are the same notorious ones for CompUSA. Namely, the bastards that raised prices before lowering them.

So no luck there.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Damn. I'm going to miss the five and ten dollar sales.

Yeah, the way most liquidations work is they raise the price to way over MSRP, and then put it on "sale," which brings it down to MSRP.

Of course, YMMV. But yeah, I got some great deals from Circuit City....Final Fantasy I and II Advance for $7 comes to mind. Of course, perhaps that's part of why they were going bankrupt...

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The only reason I got a PSP is because of Circuit City's $40 off $200 purchase coupon.

I'll be sad to see them ago, if only because they're competition for Best Buy. I don't go into many electronics retailers these days, and if I do I don't often buy anything.

And I don't think I'm gonna hit up any closing stores sales, as I worked at CompUSA during their last weeks and mother of fuck was that depressing.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I wonder if they're closing their Source By CC stores in Canada.

That was really a stupid idea all around, for both companies involved.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Circuit City was horribly mismanaged... their big mistake a few years ago was to fire everyone with any significant experience there, and keep the newer, cheaper hires. Not only did this wreck the store's ability to serve, it lowered morale there to rock-bottom, spiraling down customer service even further. They never really recovered from that.

Then again I've never really forgiven them for unleashing the lawyer-developed DIVX format on the world, even if it did tank.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The Journal almost seems stunned that Microsoft -- a firm the report labels "one of the steadiest ships in the technology industry" -- would be forced to lay people off.

I really doubt they are "forced" to lay people off, its not like they are posting a loss. They are still making a profit, just not as much as they want (and investors demand). I think they are just using the recession as an excuse to trim the fat.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's pretty clear to me why the NDS is trailing the GBA.

Does no one remember the NDS's first year? It was pretty soft, relatively speaking. For the longest time the NDS was neck and neck with the PSP, and I think that despite a short launch lead, the PSP sales rate was actually higher than the NDS's in the USA.

The NDS was clunky and didn't have any games its first year.

Then, finally, Mario Kart DS came out, and at that moment in time, the NDS sales shot up. By that time, a lot more good games had come out, but there wasn't any real big mainstream game that got people's attention until MKDS. Once it arrived, people finally started buying NDSs, and reaelizing that other games worth owning were finally available.

In other words, pre-MKDS NDS sales were about on par with PSP, and the PSP was even gaining ground. Since MKDS, the NDS sales went up, and then when the Lite came out, sales shot up.

The GBA thoguh, the thing never had any competition. Its sales were solid from the beginning. And when the GBASP came out, they shot up even more. The NDS had soft sales for about a year, then finally came up to GBA levels.

The NDS doing astronomically well has only been a relatively recent thing. Where the GBA had strong sales early and awesome sales later, the NDS has had weak sales early, good sales in between, and awesome sales more recently after the Lite caught on and Nintendo finally started expanding their marketing approach and catalog.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    greeble wrote: »

I really doubt they are "forced" to lay people off, its not like they are posting a loss. They are still making a profit, just not as much as they want (and investors demand). I think they are just using the recession as an excuse to trim the fat.

Bingo.

Plus, 'looking into cutting some of the workforce' is hardly slashing jobs all over the place.

I'd argue that even without a recession they would do this periodically anyways like any global corporation. Perhaps not to the same scale but still.

Some companies are just so big that they are impervious to downturns in the market.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Then again I've never really forgiven them for unleashing the lawyer-developed DIVX format on the world, even if it did tank.

DIVX would have worked out fine had CC mailed discs to your door like some sort of Netflix service. That'd be impossible 10 years ago but, hey, I'd buy into it.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Average Weeks of Ownership:

Wii: 43.5 (March 5, 2008)
    PS3: 49.5 (January 23, 2008)
    X360: 71.1 (August 25, 2007)

Also, from my January copy of Game Informer: Number of titles released launch to date (ESRB)
    Wii - 859
    360 - 686
    PS3 - 394

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Average Weeks of Ownership:

Wii: 43.5 (March 5, 2008)
    PS3: 49.5 (January 23, 2008)
    X360: 71.1 (August 25, 2007)

Also, from my January copy of Game Informer: Number of titles released launch to date (ESRB)
    Wii - 859
    360 - 686
    PS3 - 394

The Wii has 859 games!??!? Whoa. I mean, I knew there was a lot of shovelware, but WHOA.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Note that the games released split looks similar to the marketshare split:

Wii - 17.5m (45.8%)
    360 - 13.9m (36.4%)
    PS3 - 6.8m (17.8%)

Games released:
    Wii - 859 (44.3%)
    360 - 686 (35.4%)
    PS3 - 394 (20.3%)

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    greeble wrote: »

Bingo.

Plus, 'looking into cutting some of the workforce' is hardly slashing jobs all over the place.

I'd argue that even without a recession they would do this periodically anyways like any global corporation. Perhaps not to the same scale but still.

Some companies are just so big that they are impervious to downturns in the market.

Eh, it depends on how large/prolonged the downturn in the market is. Microsoft will see shot revenues in every one of their sectors, and I'd be astonished if they haven't already.

My company is a large global one, but we did a restructuring to trim the fat two years ago, so we're in a position where we probably won't have to this time around.

Jragghen on