As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer power-on issues.

TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The DjinneratorAt the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've never quite had an issue like this, and I'm wondering if anyone's ever seen anything like it. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Tonight I was playing L4D when the game hard-locked on exit (Thanks for the new patch, Valve)! I couldn't manage to ctrl-alt-del or alt-tab my way out of it, even though I could still get some system response (windows noises, cursor response, etc). I was forced to hit the reset button on my tower, which promptly restarted my computer... And then my computer shut itself down spontaneously. After this, I couldn't get the thing to power on again at all by pushing the power button. I tried several times. Desperate, I unplugged the PSU for a few minuets, and then plugged it back in. It started up fine after that.

Now, I realize it's hard to figure out where one issue begins and another ends here, so I'm willing to overlook L4D until it's more stable, but I've never seen a hardware issue like this at all. Is this probably a sign of a dying PSU or mobo? I'm not sure what to make of not being able to power on the tower if I haven't fiddled with components inside the case. Obviously it's not a mobo grounding issue, and I can't even begin to think of what would cause the PSU to die when it wasn't under stress. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

TetraNitroCubane on

• Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    From my experience, these things just happen sometimes *shrug* I'm sure there's a reasonable explaination for it, like maybe some thermal circuit breaker that trips in a very specific condition you somehow triggered. That would explain why it started working after a few minutes cooling down.

If it isn't happening regularly, I wouldn't worry about it. It could be something dying, but until other symptoms show, you're not going to get far.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    proXimity wrote: »
    From my experience, these things just happen sometimes *shrug* I'm sure there's a reasonable explaination for it, like maybe some thermal circuit breaker that trips in a very specific condition you somehow triggered. That would explain why it started working after a few minutes cooling down.

If it isn't happening regularly, I wouldn't worry about it. It could be something dying, but until other symptoms show, you're not going to get far.

Probably just a random PSU glitch. Most PSU's have an internal breaker that is supposed to protect it from voltage/amperage spikes. These breakers are reset by disconnecting power from the system (either by unplugging it or using the rocker switch on the back of the PSU) for 5-10 seconds.

Lower end PSU's tend to trip more often for insignificant events. I had about five machines at my last workplace that would require manual power cycling after any brownout or blackout event at all.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks guys. I didn't know that PSUs had that kind of behavior, and that sets my mind to ease. I'm pretty confident in the quality of the brand I'm using (Corsair 620 W), but I won't deny glitches can occur. If this isn't an uncommon issue, I'll hold off on replacing the PSU until something more dire happens.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Might your motherboard have an onboard video card?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Might your motherboard have an onboard video card?

Nope. I'm using an Asus P5K and an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS.

TetraNitroCubane on