Options

Your unpopular opinion

• Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Final Fantasy 7 was merely kind of okay at best and I can't for the live of me understand why it has so many drooling fanboys

I actually enjoyed Final Fantasy 8 a lot, but (as noted in the thread about the game that may or may not be Zelda) it was my first so I may be a little biased

Final Fantasy 10's blitzball games were actually pretty good

Final Fantasy 11 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> World of Warcraft

The Grand Theft Auto series peaked at Vice City but even it wasn't that good

Mario Kart 64 is probably my least favorite game in the series (my favorite being Mario Kart DS)

Games like Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night are pretty good... until you get to the point where you have no fucking clue what you're supposed to do next and get stuck beyond all hope. I kind of wish I spent my Microsoft funbucks on Megaman 9 instead now

I like Fallout 3 more than the first two (note: I still like the first two)

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    games need more naked people :lol:

donhonk on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How is this not a poll thread? That said, Baldur's Gate II is a heap of shit, Dominions 3 plays as bad as it looks, Fable II is terrible in every area but combat, and Sonic has never been good. Also, despite loving the Metroid games, I loathe Castlevania.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love games with cheesy/cliche/melodramatic stories. The Power of Friendship, and all that. It's been done so many times, but I always get into the stories and characters.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Final Fantasy opinions should be banned from this thread unless they're actually controversial. We all already know that six is better than four which is worse than seven which was redeemed by twelve, despite twelve being the worst in the series.

Balthier sucked.

Blitzball rocked.

Mystic Quest set the bar for SNES RPGs.

You wait until the Zelda debate shows up. Right about..... now.
    All Zelda games are equally amazing.

Except Ocarina of Time, which is amazing-er. And Twilight Princess is the amazing-er-est.

Even the CD-i Zelda (Link) game?

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Suikoden V is absolutely awful. Slow pace, terrible characters, horrid voice acting.

Suikoden IV is pretty damn good. Feels a lot like an updated Suikoden I.

Final Fantasy X and X-2 are absolutely amazing in every way. From graphics to story to voice acting to gameplay there is nothing I dislike I about them.

Fallout isn't very good at all. It isn't AWFUL or anything, but it is nowhere at all near as good as it is hailed.

Robot characters are awful. Always. 100% of the time. No exceptions. "WHAT IS THIS THING YOU CALL LOVE" is one of the most abhorrent plot devices I have ever encountered.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There is nothing resembling Talent within Squeenix (Outside of the Art Department) anymore and there hasn't been for quite some time.

Crystalis on the NES was better than the original Legend of Zelda.

Resident Evil 2 was the high point of the series. (Apparently I'm not alone in hating Resident Evil 4. This is uncomfortable yet vindicating at the same time.)

Dynasty Warriors 6 was really fun.

Drakengard 1 was actually decent (Despite being from Squeenix) and Caim is easily one of the most believable main characters by storyline from the first game to the sequel. The sequel sucked horrendously, though.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love EVERYTHING in MGS4. Length of cutscenes, dialogue. All of it.

donhonk on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Final Fantasy opinions should be banned from this thread unless they're actually controversial. We all already know that six is better than four which is worse than seven which was redeemed by twelve, despite twelve being the worst in the series.

Balthier sucked.

Blitzball rocked.

Except Ocarina of Time, which is amazing-er. And Twilight Princess is the amazing-er-est.

I don't think those even have to be pointed out any longer as 'not actually Zelda games'.

Also, I think I should amend what I said a bit - I think Link's Awakening is the weakest Nintendo-made Zelda.

Graviija on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think that ever since the transition to 3d and consoles being the dominant gaming platform, the things that made games special are slowly being sucked out as we transition into the world of shooting and lots of brown.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    I love games with cheesy/cliche/melodramatic stories. The Power of Friendship, and all that. It's been done so many times, but I always get into the stories and characters.

Oh god yes. The Kingdom Hearts series is awesome for that.
    darkheartdarkdarkheartlightdarkheartdarkdark
    <3

jothki on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Balthier sucked.

Blitzball rocked.

It's spawned countless YouTube poop hilarity so it can be totally forgiven.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I didn't really like dead space.

Sanius on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think that ever since the transition to 3d and consoles being the dominant gaming platform, the things that made games special are slowly being sucked out as we transition into the world of shooting and lots of brown.

Here's a secret

The Golden age of gaming never happened. You are remembering a world where you saw things with more wonder than you do now, and you are only remembering the good games in as much of a sea of mediocrity as we have now.

Khavall on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I think the opposite of this.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    CygnusZ wrote: »

Balthier sucked.

Blitzball rocked.

The best FF games are (remade) on the DS, with the exception of X, which is too awesome to fit on anything called "a small cartridge".

Actually, four is better than six. Six is worse than Seven.
    And five is the best in the series BY FAR.
    Two is easily the worst in the series. It's basically a sado-maschism simulator.

Is that the American or Japanese chronological order?

Fuck the two orders, we need a single numerical system for the FF games. I hate saying how much I loved FF IV and having people correct me about how that was FF II.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, also, MGS2 is my favorite in the series and I liked Raiden.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sanius wrote: »
    I didn't really like dead space.

Yeah DS stopped being scary halfway through for me and the dismemberment started feeling like a one trick pony gimmick.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Balthier sucked.

Blitzball rocked.

The best FF games are (remade) on the DS, with the exception of X, which is too awesome to fit on anything called "a small cartridge".

Actually, four is better than six. Six is worse than Seven.
    And five is the best in the series BY FAR.
    Two is easily the worst in the series. It's basically a sado-maschism simulator.

Is that theAmerican or Japanese chronological order?

Fuck the two orders, we need a single numerical system for the FF games. I hate saying how much I loved FF IV and having people correct me about how that was FF II.
    Those people are morons. AFter VII was released they've all moved to the Jap numbering.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

Here's a secret

The Golden age of gaming never happened. You are remembering a world where you saw things with more wonder than you do now, and you are only remembering the good games in as much of a sea of mediocrity as we have now.

No actually I'm playing old games I've never played before and I'm enjoying them a lot. We probably produce less mediocre games then we used to (actually I know we do), but a ton of older games are just so much more charming than the games we make today.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Here's a secret

No actually I'm playing old games I've never played before and I'm enjoying them a lot. We probably produce less mediocre games then we used to (actually I know we do), but a ton of older games are just so much more charming than the games we make today.

Are you playing VC releases or are you going through games like the NES Dick Tracy or Jekyll+Hyde and the like? Because unless you're playing every single 2d game ever made you're still just thinking of the best games over the course of 10 years or so.

Games are getting better. The reason it seems games have more charm back then is because you are playing the best of the best from back then versus the mediocre to best games this gen.

Khavall on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Suikoden V is absolutely awful. Slow pace, terrible characters, horrid voice acting.

Suikoden IV is pretty damn good. Feels a lot like an updated Suikoden I.

Final Fantasy X and X-2 are absolutely amazing in every way. From graphics to story to voice acting to gameplay there is nothing I dislike I about them.

Fallout isn't very good at all. It isn't AWFUL or anything, but it is nowhere at all near as good as it is hailed.

Robot characters are awful. Always. 100% of the time. No exceptions. "WHAT IS THIS THING YOU CALL LOVE" is one of the most abhorrent plot devices I have ever encountered.

Yes! Wanna make out?

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's Bob's Game syndrome. A single game made by a single developer can be brilliant. Games are so expensive to produce nowadays that companies simply can't gamble on the vision of a single person and instead simply make games which are made explicitly to appeal to target age groups. Civilization was made because Sid Meier wished there was a game like Civilization.

As a result there are few truly terrible games released. But yeah, truly brilliant ones are now very rare.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's the indie music syndrome. Games have a ton of hype these days so it's impossible to discover something on your own. Back in the day you played things that nobody was talking about so a decent game became the greatest thing ever. Now that stuff is popular before it even comes out, it can't be great.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Here's a secret

Are you playing VC releases or are you going through games like the NES Dick Tracy or Jekyll+Hyde and the like? Because unless you're playing every single 2d game ever made you're still just thinking of the best games over the course of 10 years or so.

EDIT: You know what? Your post screams "stupid." Almost everything you've said relies on an uninformed opinion. Who says I've only played the mediocre 3d games? I'm comparing "modern" classics to oldschool classics and I find the old ones more charming.

Games are getting better. The reason it seems games have more charm back then is because you are playing the best of the best from back then versus the mediocre to best games this gen.

Hey, guess what? This is the "unpopular opinions" thread, where people post their unpopular opinions. It's too bad you don't agree with me, but I didn't post here looking for fans.

And unless you've played every single 3d game ever made you can't compare the quality of 2d games and 3d games. By the way, did you see where I said that there are a lot less mediocre games now than they're used to be? Read what I write if you're going to argue.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fallout 3 was fucking terrible.

And I was among those who wanted to wait to see how it turned out before passing judgment.

I played it for perhaps four hours before throwing up my hands and giving up.

Also not a single one of the Zelda games from the first N64 one were worth pooping on the counter of a Gamestop to buy or rent.

RAGE ON

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think Smash Bros Melee sucked ass and the original Smash Bros was the best in terms of actually being able to fight. I like Brawl, but it's so full of glitches and exploits that the game is essentially dominated by them. In fact, playing it against a tournament player I know is like asking me to just murder him. Straight-up actual fighting, I kick his ass. But as soon as he starts losing, he uses ludicrously unbalanced characters and exploits, then gets mad when it's still a fair fight.

And Fable II is a shitty game. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact. No really, it is. However endearing people may find the annoyingly British world of Fable, the game itself is utter garbage and has some of the most blatant and inexcusable flaws I've ever encountered.

Kingdom Hearts and Pokemon are kid games and adults who play them should be ashamed of themselves. No, don't feed me bullshit about how Pokemon has this deep RPG combat system. Nintendo designed a franchise for kids, it succeeded, and lots of other people fell for it. At the end of the day, people who play Pokemon are still playing with a juvenile game centered around a juvenile world.

Kingdom Hearts violates so many things about my childhood it's not even funny. Donald Duck? Goofy? Serious story? Stupid. Just stupid. And then people go out in droves, actually buy this bullshit, then defend it as being a good game. Then we start getting sequels. Ugh.

Also, there never was really a Golden Age of gaming. Things are better now than they've ever been. The reason people think there was a "Golden Age" is because we now have access to the games that were only good enough to age well. There has always been truckloads of shovelware. Hell, the gaming industry actually collapsed once because shovelware got so bad. I have never in my gaming experience seen as many quality games come out as they are coming out now. We have multiple must-have releases every year instead of a couple of possible decent titles.

Also, modern JRPGs almost universally suck. I think that's mostly because I've broadened my gaming experiences and JRPGs have downgraded their maturity. I'm not sure how popular the opinion is that modern JRPGs are good, though (aside from a few exceptions).

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Damn this thread is hard to read, especially the parts about HL2, Morrowind, Fallout and SoTC sucking.

Mine are probably pretty lame: SA is better than Vice City, Windwaker is better than Ocarina.

This one might be better: I got halfway through kingdom hearts and quit because I just wasn't enjoying it. I just don't see what people like about the game. I'm not nerdraging at the disney stuff, I just thought the game itself was uninteresting.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My most unpopular opinion is that both FF6 and FF7 were actually pretty boring games, to the point I couldn't force myself to finish either. As far as I'm concerned.
    Also, Cloud and Sephirot are EXTREMELY uninteresting characters, from their appereance to their personality.

Yougottawanna: I'll agree that Windwaker is WAY better than Ocarina. So your opinion's a little less unpopular already.

And as far as I'm concerned, there totally was a Golden Age of gaming, it's long gone, but there are still EXCELLENT games out there being made.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's Bob's Game syndrome. A single game made by a single developer can be brilliant. Games are so expensive to produce nowadays that companies simply can't gamble on the vision of a single person and instead simply make games which are made explicitly to appeal to target age groups. Civilization was made because Sid Meier wished there was a game like Civilization.

As a result there are few truly terrible games released. But yeah, truly brilliant ones are now very rare.

This is a bad post for two reasons. One: Bob's game looks like it's shitty as all fuck and basically a long wank for one nutjob.

Two: Really, try some 16-bit game people recommend that you never played and put it up against a new game you've had recommended and never played in the same genre.

Brilliant games still exist, just with rose-colored glasses and comparing 4-5 games from 10 years versus 20 games from one year, it looks like they don't as much. 10 years down the line, people will be talking about how when HD games were still being experimented with and it was awesome unlike now when everything's just about the neural interface and VR link.

Khavall on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Metroid Fusion is a much more enjoyable game than Super Metroid, and it is in my opinion that the original Metroid is also more enjoyable. This is not to say that Super Metroid is not enjoyable, though.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Dragon Quest series could disappear forever and I wouldn't bat an eye.

The Halo-style recharging health mechanic is the best thing to happen to action games...ever.

Splinter Cell as a series is boring and unfun.

As much as I love Metal Gear, I wouldn't mind if cutscenes were removed from games entirely.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

This is a bad post for two reasons. One: Bob's game looks like it's shitty as all fuck and basically a long wank for one nutjob.

Two: Really, try some 16-bit game people recommend that you never played and put it up against a new game you've had recommended and never played in the same genre.

Brilliant games still exist, just with rose-colored glasses and comparing 4-5 games from 10 years versus 20 games from one year, it looks like they don't as much. 10 years down the line, people will be talking about how when HD games were still being experimented with and it was awesome unlike now when everything's just about the neural interface and VR link.

I bet if you put a game like Baldur's Gate II side-by-side with a game like Mass Effect, a lot of people would agree that Baldur's Gate II is a superior game. Time isn't friendly to all old games, and it won't be friendly to this generation in many years, either. But older games can surpass newer ones in quality.

I know, hard to believe.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Half-Life 2. The way they feed the player the story (i.e. they don't, to the point where the Player has to look in every nook and cranny to get what's going on, and even then there's stuff they won't know) sucks horribly and is really unbecoming what was otherwise a fantastic game by a superb developer.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pretty much the entire Japanese video game industry since around 2000 or so.
    Yes, I'm aware that this is a ridiculous over-generalization, and yes, there have been good games that have come out of Japan since then. Just not very many, and a significantly lower percentage than in generations past.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Here's a secret

EDIT: You know what? Your post screams "stupid." Almost everything you've said relies on an uninformed opinion. Who says I've only played the mediocre 3d games? I'm comparing "modern" classics to oldschool classics and I find the old ones more charming.

Hey, guess what? This is the "unpopular opinions" thread, where people post their unpopular opinions. It's too bad you don't agree with me, but I didn't post here looking for fans.

And unless you've played every single 3d game ever made you can't compare the quality of 2d games and 3d games. By the way, did you see where I said that there are a lot less mediocre games now than they're used to be? Read what I write if you're going to argue.

Oh I'm sorry, unpopular opinions thread means that everything everyone says can't be disputed because it's the unpopular opinion thread, right?

This is the same thing that happens with every form of art, which is why it's so easy to see in video games.
    Man, Music now a days isn't like it was in the 60s/Mozart/Chant. Man Architecture these days just can't compare to stuff like the pyramids. Man, art these days is just nonsensical. Man, Movies these days are awful. Nothing ever comes close to those old Black+White films.

It happens everywhere, and it's always wrong. Art evolves, and as it does so, it gets better. There are a few stand-out hits from every era, but on average, on a scale removed from the context of release, an artistic field will get better. It is the same with games. A complete middle-of-the-line game these days is going to beat a complete middle-of-the-line game back from the early 90's hands down. A visionary hit these days will at least compare to a visionary hit from the early 90's. The idea that there was ever a point in which games had some special magic to them that has been lost is foolish and naive.

Khavall on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Here's a secret

Oh I'm sorry, unpopular opinions thread means that everything everyone says can't be disputed because it's the unpopular opinion thread, right?

This is the same thing that happens with every form of art, which is why it's so easy to see in video games.
    Man, Music now a days isn't like it was in the 60s/Mozart/Chant. Man Architecture these days just can't compare to stuff like the pyramids. Man, art these days is just nonsensical. Man, Movies these days are awful. Nothing ever comes close to those old Black+White films.

It happens everywhere, and it's always wrong. Art evolves, and as it does so, it gets better. There are a few stand-out hits from every era, but on average, on a scale removed from the context of release, an artistic field will get better. It is the same with games. A complete middle-of-the-line game these days is going to beat a complete middle-of-the-line game back from the early 90's hands down. A visionary hit these days will at least compare to a visionary hit from the early 90's. The idea that there was ever a point in which games had some special magic to them that has been lost is foolish and naive.

No.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Here's a secret

Oh Reginald....

I DISAGREE!

I mean seriously, where are we going with this besides in circles? Neither of us is going to yield so we should both shut the fuck up.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    But older games can surpass newer ones in quality.

Truth. The original X-Com is sixteen years old. Yet I have to encounter a single game which truly rivals the experience of raiding a base when all you have is some rifles and laser pistols or the anxiety of not knowing if the next mission will have psychic enemies or not. I don't think we will ever see a truly comparable modern recreation of this still-awesome game. A modern reboot of the series would inevitably end up with the developer doing something stupid to make it "their" game instead of doing things exactly right and making the game perfect.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I bet if you put a game like Baldur's Gate II side-by-side with a game like Mass Effect, a lot of people would agree that Baldur's Gate II is a superior game. Time isn't friendly to all old games, and it won't be friendly to this generation in many years, either. But older games can surpass newer ones in quality.

I know, hard to believe.

Yes, because Baldur's Gate II was an astounding visionary game, and Mass Effect was a solid, great game. I'm not saying that games can be ranked in terms of release date, and the newer a game is the better it is, I'm saying that as a trend games are getting better. Baldur's Gate II beats mass Effect, sure. But does Icewind Dale beat Mass Effect? I don't think so.

Khavall on
This discussion has been closed.