Options

Your unpopular opinion

1565758596062»

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I rented it from Gamefly and still feel ripped off.

urahonky on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

There was no reason for it to be $40. Honestly, I didn't see the need for a sequel to Katamari. It was nice and fresh once, but not something I really needed a full-blown sequel to.

A PSN/XBLA version with downloadable levels would be ideal.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I honestly struggle to understand why they didn't do that. I also kind of wish they hadn't gone with the EVIL TWIN LOL plot thread and had in fact found some genuinely morally ambiguous reason for him to do what the twin did.

Oh well.

Backtracking a bit.

I would have loved this to be a main plot point, specifically because how it's handled in-game.

Basche: I swear, I didn't do it, my....my twin brother I thought was dead must have done it!

Everyone: olol BULLSHIT ahahahaahahaaa it's okay you just crazy Basche

Galbranth: Sup dudes.

Everyone: Wait.....what?

Transporter on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

There was no reason for it to be $40. Honestly, I didn't see the need for a sequel to Katamari. It was nice and fresh once, but not something I really needed a full-blown sequel to.

A PSN/XBLA version with downloadable levels would be ideal.

My somewhat unpopular opinion regarding Katamari is that the sequel surpassed it in nearly every way. The original only had Lonely Rolling Star and the main theme as really attractive tracks, but the sequel has a lot more than are catchy and awesome. Not that I hate any of the music.

It gives you tons more unique challenges, more things to collect, and way more interesting levels (the original had exactly three archetypes!). It has a no time limit level built in without needing an unlock, a far better "roll up the whole world" level and a much more interesting and relevant story (though admittedly less interesting if it hadn't had the original to make me care about it).

We <3 Katamari is just plain a far better game on every level.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The problem with making Basch the main character is that Balthier would then no longer be the main character.

And Balthier is the main man.

Sepah on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sepah wrote: »
    The problem with making Basch the main character is that Balthier would then no longer be the main character.

While Balthier is an awesome guy I feel he would be diminished by standing more in the spotlight. I've seen it happen too often: give that awesome secondary character more exposure and he loses that appeal. One example is Vincent, who was super cool in FF7 and became more boring the more we saw of him, culminating in his own terrible game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

While Balthier is an awesome guy I feel he would be diminished by standing more in the spotlight. I've seen it happen too often: give that awesome secondary character more exposure and he loses that appeal. One example is Vincent, who was super cool in FF7 and became more boring the more we saw of him, culminating in his own terrible game.

Vincent was never cool, you were just twelve.

Rust on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Was just about to say that. Vincent was a dark and mysterious brooding lone wolf, a man of few words. And maybe a vampire, fuck if I know.

He wasn't cool, he was a limp wristed goth.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Rust wrote: »

Vincent was never cool, you were just twelve.

I was a little older than that. It's not important enough to press the issue but suffice to say he was a bit more compelling than a lot of the others, not the least of which because he was mysterious in a way that made me want to know what was up with the guy. Then you find out more than you needed to know and it kind of breaks what made him interesting.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, the 360 Katamari didn't do it for me. I'm not sure why since I thought We Love Katamari for the PS2 was really great.

New unpopular opinion - The clunkiness of Bionic Commando: Rearmed really bugged me to the point where I never finished the game and yet I was perfectly okay with the clunkiness involved in MM9. I guess nostalgia can really do wonders for someone's perception (loved MM back in the day, never really played BC).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think that Super Mario Sunshine was both really fun and an example of an upleaseable fanbase.

"Mario games suck they're all the same"

"Sunshine sucked it was different"

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think that Super Mario Sunshine was both really fun and an example of an upleaseable fanbase.

I thought it was awesome too even with the water pack stuff...especially with the water pack stuff at times.

I didn't play it when it came out, I just played it on the Wii less than a year ago and it was pretty sweet, even after Galaxy.

I don't remember the "console climate" at the time but maybe there was some frustration there with the fans' console doing poor by comparison. They wanted it to be a system seller and it wasn't.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I loved Alone in the Dark (2008). Easily one of my GOTYs.

The story was great in a Lost-meets-National-Treasure kinda way, the levels were short and interesting like the chapters of a good book (with the exception of that one root-burning level), the real time inventory was really great at inducing fear, the combat combining item system made me feel like McGyver, and the voice acting was really quite good.

Also, the level near the beginning, where you're driving through New York as the skyscrapers are tumbling down around you?

Best car chase in a game ever.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I loved Sunshine, and after it, Galaxy kind of felt like a step back in a few ways. It's good that Galaxy kept a few of the more open areas that made 64 so innovative at the time, and were greatly expanded on in Sunshine. I really would have liked the game to have felt more like an evolution of Sunshine, though.

Edit: Ooh, here's some flamebait:

Super Mario Sunshine was a better Sonic game than anything Sega has produced recently, even though it has neither speed most of the time nor anything to do with Sonic. Sega would do well to emulate Sunshine's design except taking advantage of next gen technology to do it on a larger scale.

jothki on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I thought it was awesome too even with the water pack stuff...especially with the water pack stuff at times.

I didn't play it when it came out, I just played it on the Wii less than a year ago and it was pretty sweet, even after Galaxy.

I don't remember the "console climate" at the time but maybe there was some frustration there with the fans' console doing poor by comparison. They wanted it to be a system seller and it wasn't.

Sunshine just felt they were making changes for changes sake. The worlds really didn't feel like they were mario worlds, which I suppose is different and cool for some people, but for me the levels themselves just felt really uninspired.

Like the Main hub world just felt like an island, it didn't feel like it was part of the mushroom kingdom (which technically it wasn't) I mean the castle had ghosts, and dungeons hidden bits and pieces, all kinds of things shit to actually do. The island just had stuff to clean.

Saying this the sub-levels where you lose your water pack and have to do all that fancy pants platforming were absolutely fantastic and I would have bought an entire game of just that.

Blake T on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Are you really complaining that a foreign tropical island was too much like a foreign tropical island?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Are you really complaining that a foreign tropical island was too much like a foreign tropical island?

it didn't feel like a mario tropical island

Nuzak on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »

it didn't feel like a mario tropical island

I've gotta give you that. That whole place just felt weird. It felt more like a 3D sonic game than a mario game.

Cleaning things up with a water host too? Environmental propaganda I tell you! :P

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It felt just like running around, jumping, and talking to dudes in Mario 64 to me...but then, I've played games like Mario & Luigi which feel nothing like any other Mario game, so maybe I don't notice the nuanced physics differences that totally wreck all semblance.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I know I saw this complaint in my post as well.

The island itself was flat and lifeless though, the Castle is a fantastic place to explore, Delphino felt firstly way too different in terms of art design which I personally didn't like, and the Island really didn't have much to do in comparison other than run around in the tunnels.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pokémon was a flat out unfun game. After having loved the original I bought the one on DS and it was sooo boring with way too many things to do. So then I bought leaf green. Ditto.
    Heck the only good pokémon game was Snap.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Auron is who Vincent wants to be.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also chalk me up to someone who loved Delfino Island. Waaay better than the Castle from Mario 64 and the Galactic hub from Mario Galaxy.

Then again, Mario 64 doesn't really wow me. I like it, but I didn't really play it till 2007 on the Wii VC because I refused to play with the godawful N64 controller. So after Sunshine and Galaxy it feels completely flat and boring at times.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

Saying this the sub-levels where you lose your water pack and have to do all that fancy pants platforming were absolutely fantastic and I would have bought an entire game of just that.

So did you get Super Mario Galaxy?

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I loved Silent Hill 4.

Duffel on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    I just played Too Human and...I LIKED the camera controls.

I am about to shoot you with a rifle and it is for your own good.

You are experiencing gaming triple alzheimers mccanceraids.

I won't lie and say it's great because it's not but at some point it stopped fighting me and became one with my mind turning where I wanted it to and only rarely getting awkward.

I had the same experience with Kingdom Hearts, because people mostly didn't like the camera there but I never had much problem controlling it.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes. All bad characters long to one day be good characters.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »

I find myself doubting that they'll ever manage to make another character as badass as Auron. He was the most awesome guy ever, which was greatly aided by the fact that he had the best attack damage in the game (assuming you kept people more or less within their own sections).

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I find myself doubting that they'll ever manage to make another character as badass as Auron. He was the most awesome guy ever, which was greatly aided by the fact that he had the best attack damage in the game (assuming you kept people more or less within their own sections).

Unpopular opinion: I don't understand the big fuss about Auron. Sure, he was an impressive guy, but not that impressive. I suppose he was a nice change from the usual FF repertoire, but I think that, if it weren't for that fact, he'd just be another "brooding loner in a funny jacket".

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

Unpopular opinion: I don't understand the big fuss about Auron. Sure, he was an impressive guy, but not that impressive. I suppose he was a nice change from the usual FF repertoire, but I think that, if it weren't for that fact, he'd just be another "brooding loner in a funny jacket".

SPOILERS
    Who is also dead and yet doesn't whine nearly as much as any living people. In fact, for a dead guy, he's pretty fucking nonchalant about his current status.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

SPOILERS
    Who is also dead and yet doesn't whine nearly as much as any living people. In fact, for a dead guy, he's pretty fucking nonchalant about his current status.

I'm aware of all that, and I still don't find him "awesome"--he's just "pretty cool" at most, he's not the Fonz or anything. I guess I found his character a little...incomplete? However, my view of him is probably tainted by how much I hated Final Fantasy X.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

He's not as amazing as popular opinion would dictate, but he's a hell of a lot better than most Final Fantasy characters.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited January 2009

SPOILERS

I'm aware of all that, and I still don't find him "awesome"--he's just "pretty cool" at most, he's not the Fonz or anything. I guess I found his character a little...incomplete? However, my view of him is probably tainted by how much I hated Final Fantasy X.

Well, he's not the main character, but being a side character he gets the normal amount of character development.

While I enjoyed X-2, I don't delude myself with the fact that they shouldn't have done Braska, Auron and Jecht instead of Yuna, Rikku and Paine.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think Umbrella Chonicles is one of the best shooters ever

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Auron is awesome relative to anyone else in that game. So many FF characters since VII are dysfunctional/cripplingly depressed/douchebags, while Auron is just like "hey, who cares let's go."

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dusda wrote: »
    Auron is awesome relative to anyone else in that game. So many FF characters since VII are dysfunctional/cripplingly depressed/douchebags, while Auron is just like "hey, who cares let's go."

That's exactly it. The best FF character ever isn't saying much.

Sakeido on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sakeido wrote: »
    Dusda wrote: »

That's exactly it. The best FF character ever isn't saying much.

Well, I'd definitely say he's not the best FF character, not by a long shot. Which is not to say he's a bad character--indeed, he might be the best dark foreboding FF character.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think Umbrella Chonicles is one of the best shooters ever

I will not be Silenced!

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2009
    and we're done

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.