My uncle(whose not even american) got an invitation to this. Lucky bastard

gijohn13 on
    Brawl code 1118-1722-8514
    3ds code: 1779 0686 9264
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Total waste of money and resources and an unnecessary risk to the new president.

This really concerns me. Maybe it should, maybe it shouldn't, but there are stupid/crazy people out there.

The Secret Service are good at their job.

How many people want to kill Bush, after all?
    No one wants Dick Cheney as President.

Hoz on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    Total waste of money and resources and an unnecessary risk to the new president.

This really concerns me. Maybe it should, maybe it shouldn't, but there are stupid/crazy people out there.

The Secret Service are good at their job.

How many people want to kill Bush, after all?
    No one wants Dick Cheney as President.

I wouldn't have minded it. He was pretty much running the office already. The only thing succession would have done is thrust him into the limelight, where his shade may have eventually fled that mortal shell and left it to crumble to dirt and ash.

Rust on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What's the average length of most inauguration speeches? For some reason I'm thinking 45ish minutes, but I can't for the life of me remember where I'm getting that from. I'm vaguely planning on just taking a long lunch and watching the important stuff, and I'm trying to figure out if that'll work.

werehippy on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    *crosses fingers*

Please let the first thing Obama says in his speech is "Where all the white women at?".

Please.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    *crosses fingers*

Please let the first thing Obama says in his speech is "'Scuse me while I whip this out".

Please.

And then he pulls out his pocket Constitution.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I won't be watching it.

Also they are wasting quite a bit of $

If Obama actually sticks to the constitution I will change my mind about him, however.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seriously, though. Grant Park was way more dangerous than this. The Secret Service have practiced this shit for decades. The only people in any real 'danger' are those in the middle/front of the crowd that risk getting a bit crushed because everyone's jockeying for position to not see anything. Also pickpockets.

I wonder how many streets are closed around the Mall, and what's going to happen if/when that gets filled with people. I mean they could have overflow on the other side of the Capitol, but that would suck.
    I hear they're closing off three square miles.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    What's the average length of most inauguration speeches? For some reason I'm thinking 45ish minutes, but I can't for the life of me remember where I'm getting that from. I'm vaguely planning on just taking a long lunch and watching the important stuff, and I'm trying to figure out if that'll work.

I'd say about 45 minutes to an hour would be a good guess.

Unless you're William Henry Harrison. Hour and 45 minutes mutha fucka! In the freezing cold, with no coat no less!
    Side effects may include a mild case of death in 30 days.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, one of the guys off my boat is going. A friend of his somehow materialized tickets. Last I heard he was torn on whether he was going to wear his uniform though (it is not technically a partisan political event, so he is allowed).

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The average is around 3,000 words. The Gettysburg Address this is not.

moniker on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    OMFG, will they just inaugurate Obama in??? Now I know how all those Bush haters waiting for his last day felt. The hype on all the networks, cable channels and even HBO is a little over the top.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Guys, nothing will be different once he's inaugurated. There's no flaming hoop he's going to jump through and suddenly everything is sunshine and butterflies.

It's going to be incredibly anti-climactic.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    Guys, nothing will be different once he's inaugurated. There's no flaming hoop he's going to jump through and suddenly everything is sunshine and butterflies.

A number of Executive Orders will be quite different.

moniker on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

No, but there is the symbolic impact. A lot of people will feel better simply knowing that Dubya is no longer the head of state.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

So was 9/11. Still changed a lot of shit.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The inauguration itself is an event I'm looking forward to. The inaugural address often sets the tone for the presidency and given the speeches Obama gave during the campaign I'm expecting this one to be pretty badass.

Plus it will mean a lot - to me, anyway - to finally have Bush out of office so the country can move on. The past eight years have been marked by failure, corruption and general bad leadership. Nobody thinks that the sky will clear and bliss will fall like manna from the heavens. What will happen - or at least what we hope will happen, what we believed will happen or we would not have voted for Obama - is we will finally have a leader in office who works toward solving problems instead of exacerbating them.

Duffel on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    And importantly, Cheney is gone.

Probably richer than ever, but gone.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Oh, one of the guys off my boat is going. A friend of his somehow materialized tickets. Last I heard he was torn on whether he was going to wear his uniform though (it is not technically a partisan political event, so he is allowed).
    I'd go for it. I've got enough medals to possibly get closer to the front on the basis of grizzled war veteran alone.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Man why did I ever go submarines when I could have been a skimmer?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wanted to go, got a visa permit and everything but finding somewhere to stay in DC was impossible. I'll still be up watching this though.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    I'd go for it. I've got enough medals to possibly get closer to the front on the basis of grizzled war veteran alone.

Except your sailor hat is, like, -2 medals.

Looks like Tuesday is supposed to be a really nice day, too.

moniker on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Where do people keep getting the idea that this forum of full of naive, starry-eyed dopes who think miracles will happen after inauguration day? No Obama supporter on this board has expressed anything more than measured optimism.

Hachface on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yes, but does he really want to look like he belongs on a cardboard box full of yummy snacks with a prize?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That's why you gotta put a mean sea roll in it. Otherwise it just looks hella gay.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I;m working sadly, will have to watch it in some lame youtube format, won't have quite the same impact.

Is it a national holiday in teh US btw or are there just a lot of sick days coming in?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Pfft. The sailor hat means I'd be having government sanctioned sex wherever I'd be watching from.

Quid on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I wanted to go, got a visa permit and everything but finding somewhere to stay in DC was impossible. I'll still be up watching this though.

There was a nudist resort that was offering lodging for $73/night, as long as you were naked during your stay.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I;m working sadly, will have to watch it in some lame youtube format, won't have quite the same impact.

Is it a national holiday in teh US btw or are there just a lot of sick days coming in?

Just another day as far as 99% of the population is concerned.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    There is absolutely nothing special about inauguration day.

Obs on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Considering that it's proof that democracy works, I'd say it's a pretty special day.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009

Yep, absolutely nothing special. Except for the shift in leadership in one of the most powerful nations in the world. And the whole history-making black-man-as-POTUS thing. Absolutely nothing special.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It's the day that power changes hands. How is that not significant?

Same with the first session of a new Congress.

moniker on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, you know, just the day when we change Presidents. Completely meaningless, really.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Considering that it's proof that democracy works, I'd say it's a pretty special day.

I pretty sure Robert Mugabe and Slobodan Melosovic were inaugurated.

Sam on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm looking forward to the inauguration, but not so much the speech. At this point, I don't think Obama can say anything I haven't heard in two years, really. The moment will be plenty powerful enough for me, though.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sam wrote: »

And both were elected. What's your point? I never said democracy prevents election of a shitty leader that then goes on to destroy the political system for personal gain.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sam wrote: »

And both were elected. What's your point? I never said democracy prevents election of a shitty leader that then goes on to destroy the political system for personal gain.

Would you like to?

Obs on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Monday is a federal holiday (completely unrelated to the Inauguration, it's MLK day), Tuesday is a normal day as far as most jobs are concerned. You might get the day off if you work in DC if your boss is nice, but it'd be completely unofficial.

When does Pardonpalooza go down? Tuesday morning? What time does Bush have to clear out anyway? All I remember with Clinton was people going over the lists in the morning as he was leaving the White House.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    seasleepy wrote: »
    When does Pardonpalooza go down? Tuesday morning? What time does Bush have to clear out anyway? All I remember with Clinton was people going over the lists in the morning as he was leaving the White House.

Bush moved out Friday so that the staff would have the weekend to prepare the White House.

Glaeal on
This discussion has been closed.