Options

The U.S. Presidential Inauguration Speech Text in OP

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    So did I. I really didn't know what to make of it, I've never gotten junk mail from a President's office before.
    I remember in high school we got a photo of Bush in the mail with instructions "PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO - DO NOT BEND" written all over the envelope.

I thought, who the hell does this guy think he is? The Virgin Mary? Is his picture an icon now?

Actually it is normal and appropriate for an image of the President to be displayed in public buildings, along with related officials. For example, a DMV office could be expected to display an image of the President, Governor and Transportation Secretary. For a public school, the President, Governor, and perhaps the state's education czar (whatever title they happen to go by depends on the state I think). In Navy buildings we'll typically see President, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of the Navy, the CNO and so forth.

It's normal, and it is not politically motivated. The pictures just get changed out as the people change out with little notice or comment.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    Personally I don't give a fuck if he sticks to the constitution or not,

And that is exactly why the last eight years have been a fucking nightmare. We are a nation of fucking laws for a reason.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Did anybody else get a 'commemorative invitation' in the mail?

cause I did. and I giggled for about half an hour.

My wife did.

Edit: Framed and hanging already too.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Constitution, Schmonstitution
    D:

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Actually it is normal and appropriate for an image of the President to be displayed in public buildings, along with related officials. For example, a DMV office could be expected to display an image of the President, Governor and Transportation Secretary. For a public school, the President, Governor, and perhaps the state's education czar (whatever title they happen to go by depends on the state I think). In Navy buildings we'll typically see President, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of the Navy, the CNO and so forth.

It's normal, and it is not politically motivated. The pictures just get changed out as the people change out with little notice or comment.
    But, that's the thing. This envelope came to my house (not the high school itself, although it probably sounded like that's what I meant). If it had been the school's official portrait or whatever, yeah, that would have made sense - but a private residence?

Duffel on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

But, that's the thing. This envelope came to my house (not the high school itself, although it probably sounded like that's what I meant).

Oh well that is pretty odd then. I think you got on the wrong mailing list or something. The "DO NOT BEND" warnings are a cost saving measure... they have to send new ones out if the first ones got bent up, and the warning is really aimed at Postal Service employees, not at the recipient.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

But, that's the thing. This envelope came to my house (not the high school itself, although it probably sounded like that's what I meant). If it had been the school's official portrait or whatever, yeah, that would have made sense - but a private residence?

It was probably instructions more for the post office. And I'm sure previous Presidents have had the same thing printed on their envelopes.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So did I. I really didn't know what to make of it, I've never gotten junk mail from a President's office before.
    I remember in high school we got a photo of Bush in the mail with instructions "PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO - DO NOT BEND" written all over the envelope.

I thought, who the hell does this guy think he is? The Virgin Mary? Is his picture an icon now?

My parents got one from John McCain this year before the election. The postman folded it in half before shoving it into the mailbox. In Arizona too! :lol:

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh well that is pretty odd then. I think you got on the wrong mailing list or something. The "DO NOT BEND" warnings are a cost saving measure... they have to send new ones out if the first ones got bent up, and the warning is really aimed at Postal Service employees, not at the recipient.
    You're probably right, although I don't know where it would have been intended for that they could have gotten our addresses mixed up. Our address at the time was an RR number and everything official was in city limits. It came with some kind of little letter but I can't remember what it said.

Duffel on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Probably from a donation to something. My dad got one since a friend of ours who is a big republican gave money to Bush in my dad's name and used our address. I think my dad burnt the picture.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Probably from a donation to something. My dad got one since a friend of ours who is a big republican gave money to Bush in my dad's name and used our address. I think my dad burnt the picture.
    My family definitely never donated any money to Bush or the republican party as far as I know. My dad doesn't like politics and my mother's family are democrats.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Huh... makes me wonder if I should expect a nice photo of Obama in the mail sometime soon.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My family definitely never donated any money to Bush or the republican party as far as I know. My dad doesn't like politics and my mother's family are democrats.

It may also be based upon voter registration rolls. Your dad, once upon a time, might have registered R.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Huh... makes me wonder if I should expect a nice photo of Obama in the mail sometime soon.

I would definitely definitely definitely give up eating for a few days to afford the picture frame to hang that.

Or, I'd just tape it to my living room window.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It may also be based upon voter registration rolls. Your dad, once upon a time, might have registered R.
    His whole family is R, actually, but most of them are pretty apathetic... I guess that's what it was. Maybe they thought if they sent him a photo for the Republishrine then he'd throw some money their way.

Duffel on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    His whole family is R, actually, but most of them are pretty apathetic... I guess that's what it was. Maybe they thought if they sent him a photo for the Republishrine then he'd throw some money their way.

Yea, those direct mail things are cheap as fuck so they send them out like broad shot.

It's better than what my congressman did, he sent me a fucking flyer in the middle of December. Nothing before that, it just seems he had too much money after the election and decided that since he was an R who weathered the storm clearly he was unfucking touchable.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I got a postcard of the Obamas and Bidens at Grant Park. No portraits yet.

But if not, I still have that, a hat, a shirt, a lawn sign on which I had written "PLEASE DON'T STEAL ME AGAIN", a doorknocker I swiped after I was done with GOTV (from a section that really didn't need us to remind them to vote, so there were all kinds of spares), and the postgame edition of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Basically, when I see the Obama commemorative coins and jigsaw puzzles and whatnot on sale, I just laugh because I earned my Obamaphenalia.

EDIT: And a Newsweek. I have that too.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I like to collect old newspapers and magazines - I've got the LIFE from when Kennedy got shot, for instance, the end of the vietnam war, and some stuff like that (been looking for a Pearl Harbor paper/mag for years) - but for some reason I've never thought to save up all my Obamedia. I guess I really should...although it seems like today's newsmagazines lack something those old journals had.

Duffel on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No, no, the proper spelling of that word is "Obamedia". We must get our grafting-Obama's-name-onto-the-entire-English-language right.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Did anybody else get a 'commemorative invitation' in the mail?

cause I did. and I giggled for about half an hour.

I did too at my parent's house (my donations largely still had that address associated with it since my CC bills are paperless and I haven't changed the address) and they were worried it was an actual invitation so they called repeatedly until they caught me and asked if they could open it.

Your dad's friend committed a felony.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    No, no, the proper spelling of that word is "Obamedia". We must get our grafting-Obama's-name-onto-the-entire-English-language right.
    Fixed it for you:P

What would you say to "Barackana"?

Monkey: I fixed my post, not his.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Uh... what exactly did you fix?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

We save that one for Obama's visit to the 2014 World Cup Final in Brazil.

Gosling on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

We save that one for Obama's visit to the 2014 World Cup Final in Brazil.

How about when Chicago hosts the Olympics during his last year in office? Obympics?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    How about when Chicago hosts the Olympics during his last year in office? Obympics?
    BOlympics

Duffel on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So is anyone else getting sick about hearing about this thing?

Every fucking channel on every fucking hour argh.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing special about inauguration day.

Yep, absolutely nothing special. Except for the shift in leadership in one of the most powerful nations in the world. And the whole history-making black-man-as-POTUS thing. Absolutely nothing special.

I don't recall China changing leadership recently, have I missed something?
    *poke* *poke*

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fucking hell. Can we just do this already?

The excitement/suspense/elation/rage-at-cable-news is killing me over here.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Fucking hell. Can we just do this already?

The excitement/suspense/elation/rage-at-cable-news is killing me over here.

Stress and nervous tension are now serious social problems in all parts of the world, and it is in order that this situation should not in any way be exacerbated that the following facts will now be revealed in advance.

Obama will be made president of the USA very soon.

Any deadly al qaeda attack to be launched will result merely in the breakage of three coffee cups and a mice cage, the bruising of somebody's upper arm, and the untimely creation and sudden demise of a bowl of petunias and an innocent sperm whale.

In order that some sense of mystery should still be preserved, no revelation will yet be made concerning whose upper arm sustained the bruise. This fact may safely be made the subject of suspense since it is of no significance whatsoever.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Feel the hopium my friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhnPVP23rzo

Speaker on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    Feel the hopium my friends.
    *sniff*

Pete Seeger always gets me.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No liberal heart can resist an anthemic sing along about peace and social progress.

You know it to be true.

Speaker on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    sp01192009.gif

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, according to tradition, Barack Obama now has the nuclear launch codes.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Robert Gates is going to be the designated survivor tomorrow. Just that bit of trivia. (God willing it stays a bit of trivia.)

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Robert Gates is going to be the designated survivor tomorrow. Just that bit of trivia. (God willing it stays a bit of trivia.)

They voted him off the swamp?

moniker on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okay, I have my plan all ready.

This afternoon, I'm gonna Metro and bus my way out to my gf's place in Georgetown. It's usually a 15 minute drive from Alexandria, but the roads into the city were starting to be swamped even on Saturday afternoon, so spending an hour on public transportation will have to do.

I'm going out there with a change of clothes, including double pairs of socks, thermals, cross-trainers, my workout jacket, my pea coat, two scarves, and two hats. Also coming are my digital camera with a brand new 1GB memory card and all the granola bars I can fit in my pockets (drinks are prohibited).

I hope to be in bed relatively early tonight because the gf is waking me up at 4am. We'll then gear up and walk the 2.5-3 miles from Georgetown, down Pennsylvania avenue, around the White House, and continue down Pennsylvania until we hit the Mall. Then we'll jockey for a good spot, wait patiently for several hours, and try not to die from exposure or ruptured bladder.

It will be awesome. Awesome to the max.

Also, I already snapped some transition photos at the U.S. Dept. of Labor where I work. I already have my "Before" pic of the Bush, Cheney, and Elaine Chao portraits on the wall of the visitor's entrance. Wednesday I'll get my "After" pic with Obama, Biden, and Solis. I really wanted to snap a photo of the Fox News Kiosk(tm) but they'd already disassembled it before I got there. It'll probably turn into a CNN News Kiosk on Wednesday.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    That shit on HBO yesterday was stupid. I like Obama and the staff he's chosen, but all the concert and celebration crap is unnecessary and ridiculous. It was like we were crowning a King, not electing a President.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

They voted him off the swamp?
    No, what the designated survivor is, is when they do big events where everyone in DC shows up- usually inaugurations and State of the Union addresses- they take one member of the Cabinet and put them in an undisclosed location a good distance away from the event.

That way, if Something Bad Happened and everyone at the event got blowed up real good, they still have someone in the order of succession ready to take over.

Gosling on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The undisclosed location should be a sex room to make up for it.

Quid on
This discussion has been closed.