Options

The U.S. Presidential Inauguration Speech Text in OP

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm going out there with a change of clothes, including double pairs of socks, thermals, cross-trainers, my workout jacket, my pea coat, two scarves, and two hats. Also coming are my digital camera with a brand new 1GB memory card and all the granola bars I can fit in my pockets (drinks are prohibited).

It's barely going to be freezing, do you really think you need all that?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Gosling wrote: »
    Robert Gates is going to be the designated survivor tomorrow. Just that bit of trivia. (God willing it stays a bit of trivia.)

They voted him off the swamp?
    No, what the designated survivor is, is when they do big events where everyone in DC shows up- usually inaugurations and State of the Union addresses- they take one member of the Cabinet and put them in an undisclosed location a good distance away from the event.

That way, if Something Bad Happened and everyone at the event got blowed up real good, they still have someone in the order of succession ready to take over.

I know, I was making a bad joke based on this newfangled reality television.

moniker on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    By the way, if you're wondering why Gates was picked, it's because he's in both administrations' Cabinets and they don't have to get into semantics about when exactly everyone got blowed up.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm really, really, really glad Gates stayed on.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm going out there with a change of clothes, including double pairs of socks, thermals, cross-trainers, my workout jacket, my pea coat, two scarves, and two hats. Also coming are my digital camera with a brand new 1GB memory card and all the granola bars I can fit in my pockets (drinks are prohibited).

It'll be in the low 20s when we set out. And then there's nothing like standing stock still in the cold for 6-7 hours. Better safe than sorry, I say.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hulu has the link to their live stream. Now its just a countdown

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That shit on HBO yesterday was stupid. I like Obama and the staff he's chosen, but all the concert and celebration crap is unnecessary and ridiculous. It was like we were crowning a King, not electing a President.

Just because we established an anti-monarchical society doesn't mean we are immune to the urge for a little pomp and circumstance.

The problem is that because we are America we aren't very good at it so we try to compensate by throwing lots of our two most vital national resources at the event; those being celebrities and media hacks, until everyone in the country agrees that saturation is at a critical level.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It'll be in the low 20s when we set out. And then there's nothing like standing stock still in the cold for 6-7 hours. Better safe than sorry, I say.

Stock still, surrounded by several million people all giving off enough body heat to change the microclimate's temperature. I mean, do whatever but I think you'd be better off going with layers that are easier to pare down.

moniker on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Stock still, surrounded by several million people all giving off enough body heat to change the microclimate's temperature. I mean, do whatever but I think you'd be better off going with layers that are easier to pare down.

Seriously. Christ, I wore less than that last week, when it was ooooh -20 degrees Fahrenheit.

At the least you don't need two pair of everything, you complete wussy-pants.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    jeepguy wrote: »
    That shit on HBO yesterday was stupid. I like Obama and the staff he's chosen, but all the concert and celebration crap is unnecessary and ridiculous. It was like we were crowning a King, not electing a President.

Just because we established an anti-monarchical society doesn't mean we are immune to the urge for a little pomp and circumstance.

The problem is that because we are America we aren't very good at it so we try to compensate by throwing lots of our two most vital national resources at the event; those being celebrities and media hacks, until everyone in the country agrees that saturation is at a critical level.

That could very well be it. I watched maybe 5 minutes of it and I just hated everyone involved. It seems so silly to me.

I mean shit, what happens if we're all wrong and he actually sucks? That event would look stupid as hell.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That could very well be it. I watched maybe 5 minutes of it and I just hated everyone involved. It seems so silly to me.

I mean shit, what happens if we're all wrong and he actually sucks? That event would look stupid as hell.

No one will remember the inauguration in 4 years. It's like the Superbowl halftime show of politics.

Unless Michelle Obama shows us her nipple or something, in which case people will in fact remember it.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    We can only hope.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

No one will remember it. It's purely for the moment and to enjoy the changing of the guard, so to speak.

Quick, how many inaugural balls did George Bush attend in '01? If you don't know their names, how can we shame them now that we learned he sucks?

moniker on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

No one will remember the inauguration in 4 years. It's like the Superbowl halftime show of politics.

Unless Michelle Obama shows us her nipple or something, in which case people will in fact remember it.
    People still remember Kennedy's. Hell, I wasn't even alive then, and I've seen enough footage of it to remember it.

Obama's innaguration is a big deal for a lot of reasons. It's not unlikely that we're going to see this thing replayed at least occasionally for a very long time.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

People still remember Kennedy's. Hell, I wasn't even alive then, and I've seen enough footage of it to remember it.

Obama's innaguration is a big deal for a lot of reasons. It's not unlikely that we're going to see this thing replayed at least occasionally for a very long time.
    People remember Kennedy's because he did great things as president, and because he was assassinated.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

No, they remember a few lines of his address; not the inauguration.

moniker on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

No, they remember a few lines of his address; not the inauguration.
    They remember some of the speach, and the visual of him and the family while he was giving it.

I'm not saying it's something that's going to define Obama's administration. It is going to be a "mountaintop" moment for a lot of people, though. Kind of like Kennedy's was for Catholics (on a smaller scale).

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing special about inauguration day.

Yep, absolutely nothing special. Except for the shift in leadership in one of the most powerful nations in the world. And the whole history-making black-man-as-POTUS thing. Absolutely nothing special.

I don't recall China changing leadership recently, have I missed something?
    *poke* *poke*

CONGRATULATIONS ON READING!!!

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing special about inauguration day.

Yep, absolutely nothing special. Except for the shift in leadership in one of the most powerful nations in the world. And the whole history-making black-man-as-POTUS thing. Absolutely nothing special.

I don't recall China changing leadership recently, have I missed something?
    *poke* *poke*

CONGRATULATIONS ON READING!!!

THANK YOU!!!
    It was a joke, chill mon

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I was watching some of the coverage on CNN... Who is this Soledad O'brian girl and why is she pretending to be black?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Her mother is Afro-Cuban. These are the things Wikipedia is for.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Soledad O'Brien is every ethnicity.

moniker on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Soledad O'Brien ancestors come from BABEylon.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    From CNN.com front page right now:
    President-elect Barack Obama's inaugural address is one of the most anticipated speeches in decades, with many expecting his words to be chiseled into marble some day.

Is this speech going to cure cancer or something? I mean yikes! I have high hopes for this administration too but aren't we expecting a bit much from Obama?

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If she was a president she'd be Baberaham Lincoln.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    VoodooV wrote: »
    President-elect Barack Obama's inaugural address is one of the most anticipated speeches in decades, with many expecting his words to be chiseled into marble some day.

Is this speech going to cure cancer or something? I mean yikes! I have high hopes for this administration too but aren't we expecting a bit much from Obama?

CNN is retarded, news at 11.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

It sounds pretty pretentious at face value but I wonder if it is, really. I have no doubt in my mind that someday there will be an "Obama Monument" or "The Obama Memorial" somewhere in DC unless his presidency (100 years from now, maybe, but eventually) is an utter failure, and engraving speech fragments on a memorial is pretty much SOP.

Duffel on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Soledad O'Brien is every ethnicity.

If you need a vaguely ethnic reporter on the scene, Soledad is there!

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Duffel wrote: »

It sounds pretty pretentious at face value but I wonder if it is, really. I have no doubt in my mind that someday there will be an "Obama Monument" or "The Obama Memorial" somewhere in DC unless his presidency (100 years from now, maybe, but eventually) is an utter failure, and engraving speech fragments on a memorial is pretty much SOP.

You've gotta be a pretty damn good President to get a Monument/Memorial thing. It's not just not being an utter failure.

Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, TR, FDR, and oddly LBJ are the only ones with some kind of monument or memorial in DC.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

You've gotta be a pretty damn good President to get a Monument/Memorial thing. It's not just not being an utter failure.

Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, TR, FDR, and oddly LBJ are the only ones with some kind of monument or memorial in DC.

Incidentally, Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and TR have their heads carved into a fucking mountain.

Back in the day people sure did go to great lengths to say the Executive did a decent job.

Rust on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rust wrote: »

Incidentally, Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and TR have their heads carved into a fucking mountain.

Back in the day people sure did go to great lengths to say the Executive did a decent job.

Pfft, that's nothing. I've carved my face into the skin of all my victims.
    Muha... muwahahaha

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

We do things a bit differently these days. Obama's face is carved into the internet.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This is true, but I wonder if, given time, there won't be more monuments built - I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they announced a JFK memorial sometime in the next 30 years, for instance.

Although such decisions these days are so politically charged they might not even bother. I can just see "IF THEY GET A JFK MEMORIAL WE GET A REAGAN MEMORIAL" happening...maybe our monument-building days are over after all. Also, building space in the historic areas of DC are probably pretty limited.

EDIT: Although I will be really surprised if there isn't an Obama monument in Chicago, eventually, although you usually wait until after somebody has died to make those things. So, hopefully an Obama monument won't be coming for a long time even if he does spectacular.

Duffel on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

Pfft, that's nothing. I've carved my face into the skin of all my victims.
    Muha... muwahahaha

You guys have obviously never seen the Taft monument:
    554px-Stone_sphere.jpg

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This is true, but I wonder if, given time, there won't be more monuments built - I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they announced a JFK memorial sometime in the next 30 years, for instance.

Although such decisions these days are so politically charged they might not even bother. I can just see "IF THEY GET A JFK MEMORIAL WE GET A REAGAN MEMORIAL" happening...maybe our monument-building days are over after all. Also, building space in the historic areas of DC are probably pretty limited.

EDIT: Although I will be really surprised if there isn't an Obama monument in Chicago, eventually, although you usually wait until after somebody has died to make those things. So, hopefully an Obama monument won't be coming for a long time even if he does spectacular.

Truman is probably the most likely, to be honest. Everybody loves them some Truman these days.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    First black President... yeah there's a decent chance he'll have a monument some day, but it probably will not be during my lifetime.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wow Scalfin, it looks just like him!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's possibly even worse than that. His son gets what is basically an office block:

Taft_2.jpg

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

He'll get a statue in Lincoln Park and probably have a park renamed after him. I'm also guessing/betting that the Presidential Library will be on the University of Chicago campus so maybe some other stuff in Hyde Park too.

With MLK's memorial (which looks horrible) and the fairly new FDR one I'm pretty sure that JFK and Reagan are going to get something somewhere in DC. When that happens Obama might make it through as well.

Which sucks because we apparently have some really shitty memorial design competition judges. I mean look at the renderings for the MLK memorial. It's just bad. They should have gone with a bronze human sized statue of him sitting on a park bench at the foot of the Lincoln Memorial by the reflecting pool. Instead we get some monolith with his face kind of carved into it. And fountains. You can never have enough fountains, apparently. Gah!

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh man. I just GIS'd it and is this going to be the statue?
    Side%20Profile%20of%20Sculpted%20Stone%20of%20Hope.jpg

Because that's just awful dude. First of all it doesn't even really that much like MLK Jr. Second it looks less like he has a dream and more like he's about to whup some ass.

I think we need more egyptian-style monuments in DC. It's kind of weird that Washington has this bigass obelisk and everything else is greco-roman.

Duffel on
This discussion has been closed.