As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D4e] The Solist Gulnath

Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of MagicArcanusRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Critical Failures
Right, this game was born of the SE++ D&D thread, but we figured it would be rude to keep cluttering the place up, so now we have our own thread, hooray! The game is a combination Maptool/Vent affair that meets (will meet) weekly on Mondays.

Ye olde Setting Info
The world of Vestum is barbaric and dangerous place, where the civilized races huddle in small nations and struggle mightily to stave of destruction for another generation. From time to time a mighty empire will form, but with few exceptions, almost all are headed by a semi-mythical figure, and collapse when their heroic founder passes beyond the veil. Perhaps the only consolation is that with external threats so prevalent, the few nation states that cling to existence rarely have the inclination to make war on one another.

It is in the semi-barbaric northlands that the most recent of these heroic figures has risen, an outcast and heretic priest of the Fire god Fwer renounced his faith and wandered into the wilderness, seemingly never to be seen again. Unfortunately for the followers of Fwer, he has returned from his sojourn at the head of a mighty host of the barbarous steppes people, and called to his side many diverse and veteran mercenaries. For now his host remains at the very edges of Fwerysp while the mercenary units coalesce. However, for some few of the newly arrived mercenaries, there are other plans...
The West
The western portion of Vestum is currently the most civilized, but this state of affairs is unlikely to continue long. Two generations ago a mighty Dragonborn Warlord, Qarrl Ironmane, united the Dragonborn tribes of the area and forged for himself a mighty Kingdom. Upon his passing he split his empire between his three sons, who soon fell to fueding between themselves. Currently those three Kingdoms have been split further between Ironmane's grandchildren, leaving seven rump Kingdoms. The Ironmane Kingdoms currently observe and uneasy truce as they face the dual threats of external barbarians and internal unrest by their subject people's. While unimpressive compared to their Grandsire's mighty Kingdom, each of the Ironmane Kingdoms is a formidable state.

The Ironmane Kingdoms are feudal states, ruled by the descendants of the legendary Qarrl Ironmane. In the Kingdoms Dragonborn are the ruling class, with the other races living in near serfdom. Humans and Halflings are the most common races in the Kingdoms, with smaller minorities of Dragonborn, Dwarves and Elves. Eladrin are very rare, and Tieflings are unheard of. The northernmost Kingdom is currently fighting a bloody war with Elven rebels seeking to secede from the Kingdom.

The South
In the southern portion of Vestum squats the mighty Empire of Mun'Atan; controlling a vast span of territory, the Empire dwarfs all other known nation states, but it's greatness comes at a high price. The Empire was forged and is ruled by Kahlim Ata'Mun the Undying, a Wizard of incalculable power, who has ruled the Empire from his throne in Veraxia for centuries. The Empire's security is guaranteed by the innumerable legions of undead warriors Ata'Mun has called to his service.

The Empire of Mun'Atan is a despotism, with Kahlim Ata'Mun at it's helm. Veraxia is a cesspool of intrigue and assassination as the countless toadies and bureaucrats of the Empire compete for the favor of their liege lord. The Empire's population is primarily human, with a sizable minority of Eladrin, Ata'Mun himself is rumored to be an Eladrin. Smaller minorities of all other races live within the Empire without restriction.

Life within Mun'Atan is relatively stable and secure as long as one pays homage to Ata'Mun as King and God, and doesn't mind the harsh and occasionally flippant laws. Despite the many flaws of the Empire, there is a steady flow of immigrants who are willing to trade freedom for security.

The North
The only civilized outpost worth noting in the barbarous northlands of Vestum is the Yspian Confederacy, a cluster of small states united by an overarching theology, but devoted to different deities within the pantheon. To the immediate west of the Confederacy is a mountainous peninsula home to a number of Dwarven clans, and to the east are seemingly endless steppe, home only to barbarian horsepeople. Of the Yspain states, perhaps the most notable is the Merchant Republic of Novgrysp, which is the westernmost state of the Confederacy. Novgrysp worships Novgr, the god of the seas, and maintains a waterborne trade with the Ironmane Kingdoms to the south and west.

The Yspian Confederacy is populated primarily by humans, with small pockets of other races present in a few of the appropriate Yspian states. The Yspian states have no unified government or form of government, and one can pass from a merchant republic to a theocracy by crossing a single border. The easternmost state, Fwerysp, frequently launches punitive campaigns against the barbarians to the east, but at the moment the tables are turned as a vast and mighty host of the horsepeople have crossed into Fweryspian territory recently.

The East
The East is virtually unknown to the people of Vestum. in the South, Ata'Mun the Undying refuses to expand his Empire's borders another inch to the East and a solid line of undead line the Empire's borders, with orders to dslay any who try to pass the border in either direction. In the north only the mighty barbarians of the steppes have any inkling of what lies to the east, and none have managed to get more than rumors out of them.

The steppe people hint of a vast and mighty Empire across a mountain range at the eastern end of the steppes. An Empire ruled by demons and holding a population so great is outnumbers the stars in the sky and the grass on the ground. More than that they will not say.

The Yspian Confederacy
A Confederation of nation states united by a shared theology. Each Yspian is named for the deity from their pantheon that they primarily worship. The word Ysp can most easily be translated as either "People of" or "Land of." There are currently six Yspian states. The westernmost of these is Novgrysp, a small but economically powerful merchant republic that worships the god of the sea and water. There is a sizable minority of Halflings withing Novgrysp, and Dwarves are common as Novgrysp borders a dwarven claimed peninsula to the west. To the east of Novgrysp is Wykkysp, the largest of the Yspian states in territory, but smallest in population. Wikkyspians worship the goddess of plants and nature, and as such is the home of many Elves. North of Wikkysp lies Rianysp, a small, frigid theocracy that worship the goddess of ice and snow. To the east of both Wikkysp and Rianysp are the Kallyspians, who claim a long, low mountain range as their home, and worship the god of the earth and rock there. The mountains are low, but rich in mineral resources, and there are many Dwarves in Kallysp. Northeast of Kallysp are the monastic cities of Vaparysp, followers of the moon goddess. Vaparysp is not a state as such, but the followers of Vapar are reknowned for their ability to divine the future, and as such, the other states leave their monasteries unmolested. A number of the Vaparyspian monasteries boast of Eladrin monks and priestesses. To the east of Kallysp and the south of Vaparysp lies Fwerysp, where the followers of the fire god dwell. Fwerysp is a militant theocracy, and as they border the barbarian steppes to the east are the most warlike of the Yspian states.

For those of you feeling uncreative, the Ironmane Kingdoms follow the basic PHB theology, with Bahamut obviously recieving pride of place, but the other deities are present there. So if you'd like to just use the PHB gods, write your background as if you are from there.

Previous Adventures
The party was summoned before Warchief Ragnutha Rao, who commands the unbonded mercenaries in the Solist army. He informed them that the Son of the SUn would like them to deal with a few minor issues for him while the army is mustering. The first of these is to track down and eliminate a group of Mun'Atan slavers who are operating in southern Fwerysp. Ata'Mun cannot be allowed a foothold in the northlands.

The party ventured forth, proving victorious against a Fweryspian recon patrol, but running into difficulties when they interrupted a Fwerist sacrificial ceremony in the village of Parsuin. It is here that Nghast Sidear, the Barbarian, is slain after impaling the Fire Priest leading the ceremony. The party paid Nghast their respects and gathered from the corpse of the fire priest a strange stone tablet.

The Party
[strike]Nghast Sidaer[/strike] (deceased) Human Barbarian - DE?AD
[strike]Skaern Onveln[/strike] (deceased) Doppleganger Rogue - DE?AD
Yten Warforged Sorceror - DE?AD
Arryn Stoneleaf Half-Elf Cleric - A Dabble of Thelonius
Riardon Eladrin Wizard - Lardalish
Erebar Dragonborn Fighter - Arasaki
Peng Rong Lie Orcish Ranger - Lord_Asmodeus

The Time

Our usual meeting time is on Mondays at around 2:00pm PST, although the time is likely to change a bit

The Tools

We play with Maptool version 1.3.b53, which is the development candidate. We will also meet in the G&T Vent server for random OOC voice shenanigans.

The Recruitment
Currently full up.

Kane Red Robe on

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lookign forward to the game, though one of you may have to explain Maptool to me, as I've never actually gotten around to using it before.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I sent Kayne a PM, Im interested in playin a Wizard for you guys if you havent filled it yet.

EDIT: whoops! I never noticed that, haha, sorry.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lardalish is in, although bad things will happen to Riardon frequently until he fixes my name in his post.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Clearly, Lardalish doesn't care about red-robed people.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lookin good folks, finally got my macros set up and I;m ready to go.

De?ad, if you want a brief maptools runthrough before the game, just let me know.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Anyone know how to have a macro ask me how many times to roll a die? Cause Ive got alot of area attacks and Id like to be able to roll one macro rather than lots.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ok, I think Im all set up! Ready to go in about an hour and a half, right?

Also, are we using the Penny Arcade ventrillo server?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Lardalish wrote: »
    Ok, I think Im all set up! Ready to go in about an hour and a half, right?

Also, are we using the Penny Arcade ventrillo server?

One of them anyways, I'll make a judgement call as time gets closer.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    De?ad, if you want a brief maptools runthrough before the game, just let me know.

Thanks, but I actually managed to find a tutorial that explained thing fairly well. I think I've got it all figured out now.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Alrighty, I am hopping in Vent now. We're going to use the PA vent instead of the SE++ one because I seem to recall there being a couple annoying gits floating around in the other one. server info is as follows:
    server: V53.DARKSTARLLC.COM
    port: 11065
    I'm in Game on 4

The actual game will begin in 30 minutes or so.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ok, Imma grab me an early dinner so we dont have to stop the game for me, Ill be on in a little bit.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Maptool server is up:
    Should be the default port

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Clerrric taaaank. Twenty Six hitpoints. WoooWoooo we gonna die.

A song by me.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh god we need a defender.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Or a smarter Wizard!

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sorry, before I forget you all get 188xp.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yay.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hey sorry guys, my grandmother passed away on friday so I've been a bit distracted. the service is next monday as well, so I doubt I'll be able to make it next week.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Crap dude, I'm really sorry to hear that.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yikes. Sorry, Neffffff.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Damn. That sucks Nefff. :/

Sidenote. My wife is actually getting into playing and was wondering if we had a spot?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    We do in fact. I bet you could even run two characters over the same computer if you had to, although I think it would be more fun if you had two comps set up with mics and everything.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also, for your consideration, this is the likely Channel Divinity feat for Sol:
    Channel Divinity:
    Sol's Shield
    The light of the Sunlord coalesces around you to blind your foes and protect you from harm.
    Encounter - Divine
    Immediate Interrupt
    Personal
    Trigger: You are hit by an attack
    Effect: You gain concealment until the end of your next turn.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sounds good.

And yeah, we have two comps, just one mic. She'll get on Vent so she can hear everything, though.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I dont wanna attempt to force her hand, but remember how the last session went without a defender. And then take a look at what class we are missing.

Juuuuuust sayin.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That'll work.
    Convince her to play a fighter. :P

Edit: Lardy, Sombrero said he might try and switch to a Swordmage. While I am not super familiar with the class, it is a Defender.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am really interested in joining this, though it seems you might already be getting a fifth member. I am also European, the early time should make it possible for me to join you but I do not know exactly what timezone you are in.

Will await a reply before I start working on a character. I had a Dragonborn warrior in mind, but that could change on demand.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, Kayne, are you still handing out background bonuses like they're going out of style, or did I go and mess that up by dying horribly?

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    I am really interested in joining this, though it seems you might already be getting a fifth member. I am also European, the early time should make it possible for me to join you but I do not know exactly what timezone you are in.

Will await a reply before I start working on a character. I had a Dragonborn warrior in mind, but that could change on demand.

It never rains but it pours. I had no responses for like 4 days and then three people today, unfortunately, you are the last of those three so you miss out, for now. Feel free to keep watching the thread though, I may find a place for you at some point.

Re Background bonuses: Yes, in fact I just realized I forgot to give Lardalish his. Fortunately it didn't come into play last session. When I think of one for your rogue I will let you know.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Excellent.

C'mooon Dilettante power.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Uhh... background bonuses? Did I forget to read somethin in the op?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, Kayne was apparently dishing out bonuses based on character backgrounds before the last session. Nghast actually got free Low-Light Vision thanks to his growing up in a cave - I'm not sure what anyone else got.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    4 death saves for me.

Pays to have a background story. :p

Oh, my wife actually can't make it. She forgot she had an appointment scheduled for monday night. Whoops.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ha. Okay. Let her know that she's welcome to join in whenever though. I am thinking that I will have an easier time balancing for a party of six (if everyone actually shows) then a party of four.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, just checkin in on the game, we still on for tomorrow? 2pm PST/5pm EST?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    All systems are go for tomorrow.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As a sidenote, I might have to leave early today. I forgot it's my birthday, and people are probably going to want to do stuff with me.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gettin kinda close to game time and I only see cosmic. You guys comin?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    On my way.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I am hopping in vent now.

Kane Red Robe on