As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To catch a predator (txt stalker)

BurnTheActionBurnTheAction Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok so my ladyfriend has been receiving these peculiar txt messages from an unknown person, first a rose picture, then txts like 'how are you doing' etc. When she replied 'who are you?' she got back a 'its ok dont be afraid'

NOW this needs to stop, i have the number, im just trying to work out a good way of getting whoever is on the other end to inadvertently slip up and give me there name (currently students so im guessing it must be someone from here) Calling up and being all macho wont solve anything, so im planning on posing as some sort of University accomodation or loans auditor and sweet talking my way to a name....anyone ever done anything similar to catch a predator, or can think of a decent plan to nail this dude?

BurnTheAction on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Call. the. police.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    i dont think the police in the uk would do much with just a couple of texts, not unless it got more sordid or offensive, it could afterall be some twat playing a joke. i once had my room broken into at uni, laptop and ipod taken, copper came over and took notes on a mcdonalds napkin he had just obviously picked up on his lunch!

BurnTheAction on
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    if your girlfriend is unhappy with the messaging then she can contact her mobile providers customer service who are well used to dealing with that kind of stuff. They'll give you your options, and the police have established protocols with them for more serious situations.

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ' wrote:
    -[arlequin;8639970']if your girlfriend is unhappy with the messaging then she can contact her mobile providers customer service who are well used to dealing with that kind of stuff. They'll give you your options, and the police have established protocols with them for more serious situations.

This would be my suggestion as well - every bit of it.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't think any UK mobile providers can block single numbers. I worked at O2 for a while after uni last year and the only thing we could offer was a free number change, which, although an option, is pretty much a last resort and as far as I know no other networks can block numbers too.

Our advice if a number change wasn't an option was to contact the police. Unfortunately I dont think there's much more you can do other than calling the number yourself.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Most phones can block numbers these days...

rfalias on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    rfalias wrote: »
    Most phones can block numbers these days...

Depends on the phone, not everyone uses something from the past year or so. But it isn't doable on the network side anyway.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I may be wrong, but I get the impression that the girlfriend isn't overly concerned, but it is the OP who is pissed off which (if true) will make any kind of resolution harder as it's pretty much up to her how she wants to let the world communicate with her.

Alpharius on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i dont think the police in the uk would do much with just a couple of texts, not unless it got more sordid or offensive, it could afterall be some twat playing a joke. i once had my room broken into at uni, laptop and ipod taken, copper came over and took notes on a mcdonalds napkin he had just obviously picked up on his lunch!

Bollocks. Tell them anyway. Even if they don't do anything, if it escalates you have a record of letting them know what's going on.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What? Seriously? And you didn't report the officer for not doing his damn job? Are you sure he wasn't university security?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

This is stalking and it's not a joke. It can be incredibly dangerous. You need to call the police yesterday and hound them until they do something. Give them the phone number and let them tell him to knock it off. I'd also suggest once you have the person's identity having the landlady get a restraining order.

Give her this website: http://www.nss.org.uk/main/home.html

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't think any UK mobile providers can block single numbers. I worked at O2 for a while after uni last year and the only thing we could offer was a free number change, which, although an option, is pretty much a last resort and as far as I know no other networks can block numbers too.

Our advice if a number change wasn't an option was to contact the police. Unfortunately I dont think there's much more you can do other than calling the number yourself.

We could do it at Vodafone when I worked there about 5 years back.

That would be my advice, so would calling the police. You have nothing to lose by attempting either and I hope you get it sorted.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    cheers for the help guys, i think someone mentioned up there that yeah, my gf seems to be taking it with a 'oh well im sure it will stop' kind of attitude whereas i am understandably pissed off. i wanted to give the numnber a call so we could see if she recognised the voice or something, then we could take matters further to the police if need be.

and to the other dude who questioned if it was uni security, nope warwickshire police force at its finest!!

BurnTheAction on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are you sure it's not spam for some txt base dating service? Trying googgling the phone number.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    one trick I use for identifying callers is to dial their number but add a 5 after the mobile operators prefix; this takes you straight through to voicemail where you may get the person's identity (ie Hi you've reached john smith, please leave a message)

Alpharius on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ' wrote:
    -[arlequin;8642321']one trick I use for identifying callers is to dial their number but add a 5 after the mobile operators prefix; this takes you straight through to voicemail where you may get the person's identity (ie Hi you've reached john smith, please leave a message)

I don't quite understand what you mean here, are you saying you dial (For example) 444-444-5-4444?

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sceptre wrote: »
    ' wrote:
    -[arlequin;8642321']one trick I use for identifying callers is to dial their number but add a 5 after the mobile operators prefix; this takes you straight through to voicemail where you may get the person's identity (ie Hi you've reached john smith, please leave a message)

I don't quite understand what you mean here, are you saying you dial (For example) 444-444-5-4444?

well I'm in Ireland so the numbering scheme is different, but the trick should still work
    so in Ireland Vodafone has an 087 prefix, and O2 has 086

so say mr bad guy's number is 0861234567
    i would punch in 08651234567 and it would go straight to his voicemail

so in your case say the operator prefix is XXXX and the rest is YYYYYYYYY, I would punch in XXXX5YYYYYYYYY

Alpharius on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In the UK, all mobiles begin with 07. I'm not sure if that works here.

Hell, we have two guys who used to work for carriers, I'm sure they know.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!