As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Final Fantasy VII! A Tale of Revenge, Redemption, and Ridiculosity

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Food wrote: »
    You should just name every character Sephiroth. (I actually did that once.)

That is pretty amusing. I think part of the President Shinra conversation is a good example:
    President Shinra
    "...Long time no see? Oh... you."
    "You're the one who quit SOLDIER and joined AVALANCHE. I knew
    you were exposed to Mako, from the glow in your eyes..."
    "Tell me, traitor... what was your name?"

Sephiroth
    " Sephiroth."

President Shinra
    "Forgive me for asking, but I can't be expected to remember each
    person's name."
    "Unless you become another Sephiroth."
    "Yes, Sephiroth... He was brilliant. Perhaps too brilliant..."

(Sephiroth steps back.)

Sephiroth
    "Sephiroth.....?"

Adus on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Adus wrote: »
    Food wrote: »
    You should just name every character Sephiroth. (I actually did that once.)

That is pretty amusing. I think part of the President Shinra conversation is a good example:
    President Shinra
    "...Long time no see? Oh... you."
    "You're the one who quit SOLDIER and joined AVALANCHE. I knew
    you were exposed to Mako, from the glow in your eyes..."
    "Tell me, traitor... what was your name?"

Sephiroth
    " Sephiroth."

President Shinra
    "Forgive me for asking, but I can't be expected to remember each
    person's name."
    "Unless you become another Sephiroth."
    "Yes, Sephiroth... He was brilliant. Perhaps too brilliant..."

(Sephiroth steps back.)

Sephiroth
    "Sephiroth.....?"
    It's like a fangirl's wet dream...

ugh

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You do know there are over 3800 scenes in this game (I counted). If you are going to post them with commentary, more power to you. You have more staying power than I.

halkun on
    edited January 2009
    I'm just a human so the best I can promise is I'll go as long as I can. I admit I'm sort of a lazy person, but I'm also not a very busy one. So right now I've got the time. The only things that'll stop me are sudden and drastic changes to my life schedule, massive unforeseen technical difficulties or the implication that people no longer care/don't find it interesting anymore. Even if it's just a once a week thing, it's not that big a deal. It just might take a year at that rate.

As far a simply just losing interest? I've been playing MMO's for 10 years. I'm used to repetitive, tedious tasks.

Adus on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    President Costanza is fantastic. Aeris renamed into Slum Drunk sounds amusing, too. Or maybe Harlot. Tramp? Nadiana?
    Aerisith?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Adus why do you have Black Plague as your avatar. Now every time I see it I will have to laugh for like 5 minutes straight.

Schide on
    edited January 2009
    President Costanza is fantastic. Aeris renamed into Slum Drunk sounds amusing, too. Or maybe Harlot. Tramp? Nadiana?
    Aerisith?

Hah. I told her earlier when I was discussing who I'd name after my friends that she could be Yuffie. When she got upset I said she could be Aeris instead. I doubt she'd approve if she knew why I was naming her Aeris this time. I already named her
    Mary Sue
    anyways. I found it appropriate.

There should be a small update tomorrow just to bridge the gap between meeting Aeris and getting to Wall Market, since Wall Market is going to need an update all its own. I'm having difficulty writing for what I have shots of so far. It's a fairly boring few minutes of play. So no promises on the hilarity or lack thereof.
    Schide wrote: »
    Adus why do you have Black Plague as your avatar. Now every time I see it I will have to laugh for like 5 minutes straight.

You answered your own question.

Adus on
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like Disposable.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, this thread has got me playing it again, only this time, I'm going to try and find out what happens if you make it to Mythril Mines before heading to Kalm for the plot sequence... for the sole reason of seeing if I can get Yuffie before it. I predict one of four possibilities:

1. It prevents entrance to the Mines, for whatever reason;
    2. Entry to the Mines is possible, but it sequence breaks, resulting in the Turks showing up... although, quite what this would do with regards to the PHS, I have no idea;
    3. Entry to the Mines is possible, the Turks don't show up, but neither does Yuffie due to some trigger hidden away in the game code that says something like 'If Kalm-Plot = 0, Yuffie Probability = 0';
    4. Entry blah blah blah Turks blah blah blah etc, but Yuffie DOES show up.

Of course, I'm expecting it to be 1 or 2, but I'm still gonna try... which requires huge amounts of overlevelling thanks to Mr. Zolom - I'm just before the Guard Scorpion, and Cloud is already level 12. Besides, if it does turn out to be 4, maybe I can wander around Junon too, see if they had prepared for every possibility.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, this thread has got me playing it again, only this time, I'm going to try and find out what happens if you make it to Mythril Mines before heading to Kalm for the plot sequence... for the sole reason of seeing if I can get Yuffie before it. I predict one of four possibilities:

2. Entry to the Mines is possible, but it sequence breaks, resulting in the Turks showing up... although, quite what this would do with regards to the PHS, I have no idea;
    3. Entry to the Mines is possible, the Turks don't show up, but neither does Yuffie due to some trigger hidden away in the game code that says something like 'If Kalm-Plot = 0, Yuffie Probability = 0';

Of course, I'm expecting it to be 1 or 2, but I'm still gonna try... which requires huge amounts of overlevelling thanks to Mr. Zolom - I'm just before the Guard Scorpion, and Cloud is already level 12. Besides, if it does turn out to be 4, maybe I can wander around Junon too, see if they had prepared for every possibility.

Why not just, uh, not fight the Zolom?

UnbreakableVow on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't wait for the debate when it comes down to naming Yuffie and Vincent :D

Egos on
    edited January 2009

Because the Chocobo Ranch doesn't open until you do the flashback sequence in Kalm, therefore no Chocobo Lure materia, therefore no way of quickly evading the battle; and given how fast it moves on the map, if you're on foot it's a 99% chance of having to fight... never tried escaping though, but I'm still hours from that bit.

BlitzAce1981 on
    edited January 2009

Because the Chocobo Ranch doesn't open until you do the flashback sequence in Kalm, therefore no Chocobo Lure materia, therefore no way of quickly evading the battle; and given how fast it moves on the map, if you're on foot it's a 99% chance of having to fight... never tried escaping though, but I'm still hours from that bit.

Walk across the marsh some before he hits you. Open menu. Save. Reload game. He won't be near you. If he gets close again, open menu and save. Reload game. Finish your trek across the swamp.

UnbreakableVow on
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Don't be a bitch about it. Just kill it. It's got 4000 HP, poison it immediately, have a healer equipped with elemental-fire on his/her armor, use a tranquilizer to decrease damage taken, and don't attack it with that character. Blast away with the other 2 with limit breaks/bio/enemy skill. If your healer has enough HP, he/she should survive Beta if it decides to cast it.

I bet someone will be there to bar your entrance, but I support you.

Tylerbroor on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ahahaha, I have the perfect name for Aeris. Name her Aerith. That way the people who erroneously think a more direct translation is better than a localization get to see a whole Let's Play with the "right" name and it constantly irritates the people who think it sounds stupid. Hell, "Aerith" irritates me and I still think it would be funny.

Nice LP, by the way. Crossing my fingers that it actually gets finished out.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2011

Good, you can be the 'try weird shit' guy of the thread, since it has been so long for me that I just don't remember any tricks nor do I really want to waste my time doing them.

Anyhow

Part 4 - Lost in Translation
    24756586.jpg

Perfect.

45594583.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Huh? Is this some sort of street code? Are you… going to try and whore me out?’

85197795.jpg

Turns out she really meant bodyguard. Squall is a no-nonsense mercenary, charging the young girl who politely asked him to walk her home. I guess he deserves some credit for not being tempted by the womens… Hmmmmmm.

67655600.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘What…? You know… the weird roaming of the dark alleys, the glazed look in your eyes. Selling “flowers” to strange, girly men. I get it now. You’re not a dealer. You’re a hooker. And now you’re offering me a free “session”.... Okay. Fine whatever. Just stop talking already.’

57972857.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Oh shit. Your pimp is here. Listen, she was hasslin’ me, man. I don’t want any trouble…’

37038526.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Oh god! Don’t break my legs! I need them to walk and Jazzercise!’

42045440.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘I appreciate the concern… Stupid Whore-bagel.’

Squall and Mary wisely choose to flee.

53060185.jpg
    39417429.jpg
    410hl.jpg

How does one catch holy hell, and what are the consequences of doing so…?

411m.jpg
    412m.jpg
    413f.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Funding Uwe Boll films… Producing Yanni albums… Writing for the Final Fantasy VII LP…’

414s.jpg
    415.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘HAhahahahahahaha… haha… ha…

I mean. Yes, sure, why not?’

416pm.jpg

I should have started a counter on “SOLDIER”. I’m sure we’d be up to at least 500 by now.

418s.jpg

Rumor has it he’s a kickass bowler, though.

419q.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Are he? Yous and me shouldly entered there pipe and be on with the inspect.’

420o.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Dude wasn’t kidding…

Look at all those trophies! He must be one of those idiot savants. An idiot bowling savant.

421n.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘You think? It was? Unless it’s a magical disappearing tattoo, it’s still there. So is it a number 2 or isn’t it? Do you even know what the number 2 looks like? You’re seriously on your way to being the most idiotic person I’ve met all week.’

422f.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Fear not, Mary, you seem to have some strong competition…’

423p.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Are you trying to tell me you DON’T want this ketchup packet once used by Gilbert Gottfried? Okay, your loss…’

424s.jpg

425.jpg

… ...

426y.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘…*twitch*’

technicaldifficultiespl.jpg
    427e.jpg

After washing the blood and intestines off his sword, Squall arrives at Mary Sue’s house. Flowers only grow in the church, huh? Guess she forgot to check the fucking garden in her own backyard.

428.jpg

Upon entering, we’re greeted by Elmyra, Mary’s mother. She’s obviously upset that her daughter was out so late again, but is relieved when Squall is introduced. It’s about now that it hits me. Mary’s actually a genius. She’s able to bring her clients right to her own home and pass them off as ‘bodyguards’ so not only does her mother approve, she’s thankful.

429o.jpg
    430r.jpg
    431g.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘You might have cooties… eeewwwww….’

432p.jpg
    433n.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘No, not at all. I expect you to listen, make me a sandwich, and shut the fuck up. I’ll even be kind and let you choose the order.’

434cr.jpg

Even more is revealed in the genius plan. Her mother even invites the strange man to stay the night. It’s called Final Fantasy for a reason, folks.

435oa.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Mary is pretty hot and all, but she’s dumb and probably infected with something. At least Lockheart is just sort of boring and has juicy melons. I’d be better off blowing this one-night-popsicle-stand and going back. Plus, she’ll be so relieved to see I’m alive that she’ll jump my bones within point-two seconds. Not to mention I have the dead father card to play still. This cannot fail.’

436x.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘AH FUCK NUGGETS.’

Okay so Mary Sue convinces me to allow her to… guide me to Sector 7 or something. Whatever, it’s not that far. Squall simply envisions the potential threesome possibilities.

437u.jpg

We kick the shit out of some houses on the way. Mary is quite skilled with a rod.

Oh come on, it had to be said.

438d.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘No. But I have a feeling you won’t listen to me, as NO ONE FUCKING DOES.’

439p.jpg
    440o.jpg

Hard to catch in a screenshot, but there was a quick flash between that line and the next, almost as if he “forgot” what rank he was and had to be “reminded” like an “idiot”.

441o.jpg
    442y.jpg
    443m.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘You’re taking a very sharp turn into boring territory, Mary.’

444m.jpg
    445s.jpg

Of course it doesn’t. The classic RPG line of plot aversion. There’s absolutely no possible way this person is important to the story whatsoever, right!?

We’re soon distracted by the daily prostitute carriage; however this one is a bit peculiar.

446pe.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Just great. She thought I was dead and lost the will to continue on, so she’s whoring herself out to get back Loaf’s money before meeting Mr. Razorblade. Yeah, that’s definitely it.’

447nz.jpg

Next time on Final Fantasy VII: No one can be… told what Wall Market really is… You have to see it for yourself.

End Notes: I'm not sure how long the next update will take. Screenshots and commentary can't really capture the shame and wonder that is Wall Market, and I'm sure I'll feel compelled to capture everything, but I'll do my best.

Adus on
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Funniest thread on the entire boards. 5 starred.

Shujaa on
    edited January 2009
    Keep it up, man. Love the frequent updates.

Also you used my idea for Lockheart! Wooo

UnbreakableVow on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okay, it's been bothering me. Does SOLDIER stand for something? Because it's really annoying to see it all in caps and not know what it means.
    Not as annoying as -words- like this -from- Xenogears, though, but close!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Not really, just like AVALANCHE, they liked to capitalize group names.

Though I once heard that Turk stood for Tactical Unison Reconnaissance Killers.

And I love the updates for taking Aerith off her saint ladder. :D She's not exactly an innocent character.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They just don't want you to confused soliders for SOLDIERS. Regular Shinra soliders aren't the same as the Class Soldier.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited January 2009
    Adus wrote: »
    Good, you can be the 'try weird shit' guy of the thread, since it has been so long for me that I just don't remember any tricks nor do I really want to waste my time doing them.

That reminds me... in one of my old saves, I was farming the Gelnika for sources, and I think I came across a gltich in my materia setup. I believe it was using Pre-Emptive materia linked with a mastered Steal, combined with a Mega All, which on occasion resulted in the Slash All animation (Only with Mug, obviously) causing an attack that didn't bring up any damage figures, but killed instantly... and I'm not even talking Death status attacks - I think this had more in common with the glitched damage you can get Barret and Vincent to do with their ultimate weapons...

...Actually, I still have that save. I might try recording a video of it sometime.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Awesome LP so far, I can't wait to see what will happen next chapter.

My Name Is Luke on
    edited January 2009
    Part 5 - I Do Not Want This

This part of the game is pretty infamous for being strange. I ended up taking like 600 screenshots, but obviously I had to cut it down. Sadly just so many oddities are lost in having to edit out so much.

Let’s begin.

22768514.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘What the fuck? I’ve been here five seconds and I’m already past my insanity limit.’

37644312.jpg

Good chance he isn’t lying. I’m sure at least one of the girls is named “Destiny.” Anyhow, this is the Honey Bee Inn. It’s a nexus of the universe for everything fucked up.

72508139.jpg

Squall questions him about Lockheart, and is told she’s in an “interview” right now where afterward she’ll be taken to Don Corneo.

89577116.jpg

I guess you’d know, wouldn’t you? Alright, go ahead.

45080816.jpg

SHUT UP, SQUALL. LET HER GO.

58072964.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Yes, this is exactly how I envisioned my weekend. Wake up, leap from a train, fight a floor buffer, fall a mile, get chased by a pimp, find out my childhood friend is now whoring herself out, and visit a pervert mansion. I fail to see how this could get much worse.’

31387401.jpg

Seriously? Did you choose to conveniently forget you were in SOLDIER!! this very second? You eat commotion for breakfast. Jesus, even Mary got leveled up enough to probably take out this entire market. If you knew what the other option was, I think you’d go this route…

24855423.jpg

Too late. Commotion… Cross dressing… Beating faces in… Cross dressing… TOUGH CHOICE.

After some guilt tripping of the “What, you don’t care about Lockheart?” variety further proving that Mary is a manipulative bitch, Squall finally gives in. Fangirls rejoice. Sane players get their razorblades handy. The Japanese proceed as if everything is normal.

A quick stop to the clothing store informs us that the dress girl’s father, Dress Man, is getting plastered, so we pay him a visit at the bar.

36664808.jpg
    510x.jpg
    511m.jpg

For once, the characters are just as confused at the dialogue as I am. Clothing for Squall is then requested.

512o.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘I think you misunderstood. I said I wanted to skin a girl, and wear her like a dress.’

513lg.jpg

Well, we have to wait for the dress to be made. What other mind-bending shit can we find in this hellhole? Wait, there’s one thing I have to do first…

5135n.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘This one is for Mary, for asking me to be her Bodyguard.

*clears throat*

AND I~~~~Eiiiiii WILL ALLLWAYS… LOOOOVE YOUUUUUUOoooo’

514h.jpg

This fat guy hands me his membership card to the Honey Bee Inn.

cloudhead.jpg ‘I guess I could use a break.’

515o.jpg
    516fg.jpg

Truest thing I’ve heard all week, lady.

517om.jpg
    518xx.jpg

Squall decides not to let his membership go to waste. If you’re going to perv it up, may as well go whole hog and be a voyeur, too!

519p.jpg

This is all you see, plus an intermittent flash of light. (I've learned now that you can move the camera and actually see things, how about that.) The script for what he hears is as follows:
    (Lightning flashes... a guy in a tub... another standing... one is dressed
    as a king.)

...The wind's calm now....
    It's the curse of the resurrected Satan... Our beloved Queen does
    not awaken...
    The time is ripe...
    A legend has been passed on through generations...

"Psst... (Hey, shouldn't we stop him soon?)"

"...whisper... whisper... (We have a luncheon with President
    Shinra...)"

"Psst..... (You tell him.....)"

"Psst.... (I can't tell him........)"

"Psst.... (Come on!! Oh, well....)"

A legend has been passed on through generations....
    .....the sought after Promised Land....

"Psst.... (I'm so disgusted with the President.)"

....One with Blue Eyes....

"Psst....(It's like this every time we have a business trip to
    Midgar.)"

.....and a Great White Sword on his back.....

"(We come all the way to Midgar, just for this....)"

.... Will not lead to the Promised Land.....

"Psst.... (What're you complaining about. You're just holding the
    lights. I've gotta wear this heavy armor!)"

"Psst.... (I know, I know... but it's all part of the job.)"
    "Psst.... (Oh yeah, did you hear? The President's wife found out
    about this little hobby of his.)"

"Psst... (Ha, ha.... No way, that's the first I've heard of it.)"

"Psst... (Oh, looks like he's done. Man, I'm glad!!)"

"Geez!! Mr. Prseident!! I mean, Your Majesty..."

(Smacking sounds.)

"Ohhh... I'm sorry. Please remove the ancient curse!"

When LARP sessions go too far…

The sad part is that’s probably the least disturbing thing in this whole place.

520v.jpg

Peepy peepy.

Same sort of keyhole before, but a… much different result dialogue wise…
    (He sees a Grandpa and Grandma....)

"...wheez...."
    "Phew...."

"What's wrong, Grandpa? You keep sighing."

"...wheez... puff... You know, Grandma..."

"You talking about this room?"

"...whew... I know our son rented this for us and all, but...."
    "It's too nice for us. Big round bed, gorgeous tub, I just can't
    get comfortable."

"Don't worry about it. It's a high class neighborhood, in the Big
    City."
    "You keep complainin' and we'll get into trouble."

"...wheez..."

…*shudder* Moving on.

You’re given the choice between two rooms.

521n.jpg
    522r.jpg

I chose the group room because I couldn’t quite remember what happened in there. I’m now regretting it. I really don’t know how to comment on it very much, so I’ll let the dialogue and screenshots mostly speak for themselves:

523u.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘You know… Can we talk a bit, first?… Lately… I’ve felt like no one really cares about me…’

524.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘I guess I’m ready now… Can you play “My Heart Will Go On” while we’re doing it? Oh, and do you mind if I cry…?’

525o.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘God, I love that movie… but I also hate it… Why does Jack have to die!? I… wait, what do you mean “everyone”?

526.jpg
    527.jpg

cloudhead.jpg 'Holy Mother of God.'

528.jpg
    529l.jpg
    530w.jpg
    531u.jpg
    532.jpg
    533.jpg
    534o.jpg
    535j.jpg
    536.jpg

Meanwhile, Squall prays for a comet to hit the Earth.

537r.jpg
    538h.jpg
    539.jpg

WHAT

IS WRONG

WITH

THIS PLANET

???!!!???

?!

This never happened.

So, there are a bunch of mini-quests in Wall Market to pretty Squall up real good. That scene was one of them, giving you the bikini briefs. Not… quite sure why that helps, since he’s going to be wearing a dress. Just how far does he plan to go with the Don, anyhow…?

In the top room of the Honey Bee Inn, there’s a place where you can get some makeup applied…

540p.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘By the way, nice bee-hind, baby. Heh heh. Man, I’m smooth…

541a.jpg

This guy had a dilemma where he was kicked out of the (normal) inn for getting in a fight with the manager, but he’s dying to know what’s being sold in the vending machine there. He also makes a comment about how he can’t ask a girl to do it, either, giving you the impression that it is something naugh-taaay.

It ends up being a protein drink set. So in return he gives you a… diamond tiara. SENSE THIS MAKES NOT.

542c.jpg

The guy is like Superman… just only if Superman had no strength or heat vision and was limited to just Super Tailoring. Anyways, the dress is done already, uh, yay I guess.

543.jpg

I guess this is logical. Squall does look like he slept next to a very lick-happy Moose aka Loaf.

544w.jpg

These girly wrestler dudes challenge you to a squat-off for the wig. They were unaware that Squall was the 2005 Squatting World Champion, so they got royally owned and I got the good wig.

545z.jpg

This woman was vomiting for a while. I was able to get her out by giving her a digestive that I got from a pharmacy coupon… that I got from the diner. In other words, the diner expected me to toss chunks after their shit on a plate. She gives me the cologne; I guess fully expecting I’ll be in there next.

With this, I think I got all the best key items for this “event” save the lingerie. You get that by choosing the other room back in the Honey Bee Inn.

Time to put it all together…

546d.jpg

This is probably the one time where you can be thankful for the Legoesque character models. Squall doesn’t really look much different other than some pigtails and a dress. If this game ever gets remade, I fear for everyone’s sanity at this point in the game.

Dress Man thinks this could be a new business for him. Being a whore of multiple variety, Mary doesn’t like Squall getting ALL the attention, so she picks out a new dress for herself and comes out looking like a total skankoid. Guess she’s used to it though.

Time to brave the waters…

547n.jpg
    548.jpg
    549o.jpg

So we find her in this dungeon that has a total Hostel vibe going on. Mary Sue and Lockheart talk a bit about Squall and proceed to reassure each other multiple times that neither of them are romantically involved with him with lines like “we’re just childhood friends, nothing more” thereby crushing whatever dignity he had left. Honestly after this point in the game, he stops acting like a total jackass, so I’m convinced this event destroyed his manhood.

550.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘If you wanted to get laid that badly, I have my Bob Dole mask right here. Jeez.’

551w.jpg
    552k.jpg
    553x.jpg

So she wasn’t whoring herself out because of crushing sadness, just to get information. Well, that’s much nobler, right? Unfortunately it was also idiotic, because the Don is now looking for a full-time wife. Lockheart was in a bit of a pickle because if she wasn’t chosen, she’d never get the information.

They come up with the plan that if all 3 of them are in the lineup, then whoever he chooses, they’ll get the information no matter what. Of course, this means Squall is also ‘one of the girls’. Mary and Lockheart head upstairs as they’re called while Squall downs the bottle in the side of the room praying it’s arsenic. Sadly, it’s just Ether.

554m.jpg
    555o.jpg
    556by.jpg

If there’s ever a posterboy for androgynous JRPG hero, it’s Squall. Placed between Lockheart and Mary Sue, he is STILL chosen by the fat man dressed like a porno director.

557a.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘I know, right? It’s a gift… and a curse.’

558.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘A lard-ass with a neon yellow mohawk. What’s not to love?’

559x.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Just thinking about that doughy goodness gets me all… mmm.. yeah…’

Okay, I’ve had enough of this.

560u.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Only on the outside… *daydream sigh*’

Mary Sue and Lockheart soon barge in having taken out the lackeys they were left with on their own. I guess I should point out now that if Squall isn’t chosen, he gets left with the lackeys, eventually revealing himself to be a man and kicking the shit out of them. By the time you get out of the room, you’ve essentially murdered everyone in the mansion. You can only assume that Lockheart and Mary have to do the same.

In other words, the commotion you were hoping to avoid by dressing up as a woman HAPPENS ANYWAY.

THIS WHOLE PART OF THE GAME WAS POINTLESS!

Okay, so, they begin to try to get information out of Don Cornholio finally by threatening to do painful things to his balls. No, this isn’t a joke.

561.jpg

By who, they ask, before more testicle mutilation is offered.

562s.jpg
    563.jpg
    564.jpg

I’m not sure he (or Shinra) understands the definition of “infiltrate.”

Basically, Shinra hired Don to find out information on AVALANCHE. He managed to figure out they were located in sector 7. Shinra’s reaction is to bomb the support and crush the whole slum sector with the plate above. Actually pretty sadistic. The group realizes the urgency and begins to head back, but Don figures he needs to get the last laugh.

565.jpg
    5655.jpg

In a Looney Tunes fashion, a lever is pulled, and a trap door opens up; they levitate in midair for a moment, before plunging down.

Meanwhile, in Club Midgar’s VIP lounge…

566j.jpg
    567g.jpg

Apparently having “morals” and “ethics” are personal problems these days. Get with the times, Reeve!

568c.jpg

President Costanza: ‘I have a membership card here for the Honey Bee Inn. I hear good things about the “Group Room.”’

569dc.jpg

President Costanza: ‘I hereby declare this summer the summer of George!’

570o.jpg

Our heroes end up in the sewer. Sadly, still a step up from Wall Market.

571pi.jpg

Continuing our string of retarded bosses, this is Aps. This one casts a tidal wave that hits the whole party… but also himself. It does a lot more damage to him than to you. Since I had overleveled a bit by this point, I think I might have been able to win the battle by literally doing nothing. Either way, I kick his ass and there ends the Wall Market chapter.

Next time on Final Fantasy VII… Christmas comes early for Squall!

Adus on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Awesome update.

I had no idea the game was this fucked up. Also, the translation is TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE! How could it possibly be that bad? FFVI's translation wasn't this bad....But this? Grammar errors left and right; text that doesn't make any sense, etc....

I read the plot summary on Wikipedia last night and got thoroughly confused...

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Actually, while i dont remember how as it was a LONG time ago, when I first played the game I managed to dodge it without leet hax. I didnt know you could chocobo by so I just got at a perfect corner and deeked the motherfucker out.

Kai_San on
    edited January 2009
    George as President Shinra is so wrong... and yet so right

Shujaa on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've skipped Kalm before. It was my second playthru and way back around '99 or something.

I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I want to say barret showd up (he wasn't in my party) at the entrance to the mines and just handed me the PHS and that was that. I continue'd thru the rest of the game without noticing any differences.

Granted this was pretty much 10 years ago, so I could be full of shit and not realize it.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hahaha, nice update. I had never seen the group room shenanigans. D:

Pemulis on
    edited January 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    I've skipped Kalm before. It was my second playthru and way back around '99 or something.

I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I want to say barret showd up (he wasn't in my party) at the entrance to the mines and just handed me the PHS and that was that. I continue'd thru the rest of the game without noticing any differences.

Granted this was pretty much 10 years ago, so I could be full of shit and not realize it.

If that's the case, that would definitely be number 2, in which case I'd just be sequence breaking somewhat... although, it makes you wonder what happens if you then go back to Kalm... probably nothing.

As for the latest update, couldn't agree more about it NOT BEING THE ONLY WAY. Seriously, he has a sword bigger than he is - he could just stab everyone who gets in the way... and that's before you consider the materia. Speaking of which, I've always wondered why, instead of answering 1, 2, or 3 to Corneo's question, they don't just answer, "Fire 2!" and laugh as he runs around on fire.

Even better if they were able to target the magic at his crotch. "Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!" :D

BlitzAce1981 on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just caught wind of this LP, and I gotta say, it's pretty hilarious.

Keep 'em coming!

Icemopper on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This LP caused me to break out FF7 on my PS3 last night, surprisingly the pc PS1 emulators are more accurate than the official Sony PS1 emulator. I noticed occasional graphical glitches. Like how when selecting an enemy in battle mode the hand cursor thing flickers.. well on the PS3 it is the hand cursor but when it would normally flicker it becomes the cursor with a black background. (for example)

Think I'll fire this up on a pc emulator instead.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As awful as some parts of this game are, I still hope it gets remade some day.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited January 2009
    I hope in the eventual remake (it has to happen eventually), he'll be a man, bust open the door and cause the commotion. Still give you the option to cross-dress though, if you like.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The best way to replay any final fantasy is to rename characters as random household and hygiene products.

Calling people "Clock" , "Tampon" , and "Pen" tend to create much better dialogue.

The jokes write themselves.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That entire update could've gone without a single caption and still been full of D:. But it helped.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Another huge thumbs up for President Costanza. Awesome job so far.

Muramasa18 on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is actually turning out quite well. Kudos to you on that!

Also, the George bits make me laugh quite more than they should.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    edited January 2009
    Glad people find the George thing amusing, because I was a bit worried I was making a joke only for myself by doing that.

Immense writers block was had on this one. Oh well. Anyways,

Part 6 - The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
    After a trek through the sewer and then the ominous TRAIN GRAVEYARD ooooeeeeeeooooooo… we’re back in Sector 7.

8H6SQ.jpg
    WKzd8.jpg

Battle atop Phallic Pillar. Heyyy something large and obese seems to be falling.

EtS45.jpg

Uh oh, it’s uh… this loser. He fell a pretty long way, so the fact that he’s still talking is pretty impressive. I guess it’s that extra padding.

c1Kyx.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘You know, I’ve been giving Jessie crap this whole time, but really, what HAVE you done? Well, at least you’re not a man trying to pass yourself off as a woma-

…EVERYONE STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT.’

xaOpF.jpg

This is going to be serious business, so we don’t want Mary messing up our shit. Lockheart requests she go take Marlene somewhere safe. I remind her that, while probably quite cavernous, her vagina doesn’t count.

nBf7e.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘You’re also not important enough to remember. Why does everyone keep asking me this!? After all I’ve seen lately, everyone on this planet deserves a slow, agonizing demise.

Wait a sec, if you and Tubbo are at Death’s Door… this must also mean…

Cue “Ode to Joy”…

b5RLA.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘It’s like… Christmas and my birthday had sex and created the most awesome day of all time…’

tvb8G.jpg

God, where’s the third “Shut up and die” option?

kkfDx.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘No, I’m pretty sure it’s your punishment for being a horrendous failure in everything you’ve ever tried to accomplish. You didn’t even make it up the stairs. Now go to Hell.’

Squall heads on, whilst whistling a happy tune.

Atop the pillar, Loaf is putting up a fight. Mary’s pimp shows up to arm the bomb proving he doesn’t mess around when it comes to people stealing his girls.

rErS0.jpg

So, he has this attack that puts some yellow triangle over one of my party members. He proceeds to taunt us about it, too.

kUJs6.jpg
    FIwwj.jpg

I can. This gives me the excuse to attack my own party members, but since Mary isn’t here, it’s not really all that satisfying. One attack breaks it. He’s pretty much a pussy otherwise and I beat the crap out of him with just physical attacks.

kZbkf.jpg

renohead.jpg ‘Ohh would ya lookit that. I’m gonna be late for Gilmore Girls…’

Exit stage left for Reno. Suddenly, Pimp Patriarch Tseng arrives

O5i63.jpg
    k7kl4.jpg

Ohhh Iceburn. Hey… who’s that with him?

qwyfF.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Damn it, Loaf, try it! There’s no time!’

FsheC.jpg

It’s Mary Sue! Halloween and New Years have joined in the Holiday Orgy! This is almost enough to make Squall forget about having lost his balls just a couple hours ago.

cloudhead.jpg ‘Thank you, Tseng’ Squall comments as he turns to daydream about other, prettier girls to make into dresses.

1PDYo.jpg
    HuRk8.jpg

Pimpslap! (He really does this. It’s awesome.)

tsenghead.jpg ‘You only get to open that mouth when you’re on your knees, Bitch… Oh you are… Well, I don’t see any cocks around! Oh, there’s one over there with spiky hair… Wait, why am I trying to justify this? I’ll smack you whenever I please.’

Man, I’m starting to like this guy.

tsnnR.jpg

As he makes his dramatic exit, things go boom.

8uzTu.jpg

Word, yo.

0snXz.jpg

cloudhead.jpg 'OhjesusIshouldhavestayedinthepillarohgodwhythisissoscary'

tDVdk.jpg
    7jzEn.jpg

Sector 7 Resident: 'The sky is falling!'
    Sector 7 Resident 2: 'Christ, Chicken Little, would you shut the-... Oh god damn it..."

0yGnK.jpg

President Costanza: ‘Yes, this is a business office, but I'm not a businessman per se. I'm here working for the people. I'm causing dissent, stirring the pot, getting people to question the whole rotten system!’

AU0h4.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Chillax, Loaf... You are really starting to put a dent in this awesome day.’

HFIgk.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Oh, I thought she meant Anne Hathaway. She certainly is allllll right.’

Loaf is pacified a bit, however…

uuAFF.jpg
    JUfVh.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Do you want me to remind you again? Because I can.

They were in the pillar. It exploded. It exploded in a glorious ball of fire. They were set aflame and then buried in rubble. They are dead. Deady dead dead.

…Dead.’

6JRf0.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Okay uh… Six feet under? Pushing up daisies? Feeding the fishes? Kicked the bucket? Bought the farm? Bit the dust? 404ever, Pulse Not Found?’

z3lAI.jpg
    TXaci.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Uh… Yeah? How is this even in question?’

Squall considers this a satisfying end to the day, so he heads off.

nJoND.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘Why the fuck would I do that? I’m going to get wasted. This has been a long weekend and I deserve it. Though there is one thing I’d like to do first…’

XWYDh.jpg

Yeah, I’m pretty sure this is awesome.

Fine fine, I guess I am curious about something.

BW6hT.jpg
    PqlIl.jpg

Oh pancakes, this is going to be a long story isn’t it…

Loaf
    "...What did you say? But, aren't you her mother?"

Elmyra
    "...Not her real mother. Oh... it must have been 15 years ago..."
    "...during the war. My husband was sent to the front. Some far
    away place called Wutai."

(The camera pans up... Mary Sue's house disappears off the bottom of the
    screen, leaving only black.)

"One day, I went to the station because I got a letter saying he
    was coming home on leave."

(The screen goes white. A train whistle blows, and we see the Sector 7
    train station. A train is pulling into the station. The door opens, and
    bright light fills the screen. We see various people getting off, greeted
    by their families... Elmyra stands near, watching the people getting
    off... Then the train door closes. She walks, afraid, to the conductor,
    who shakes his head. She sits forlornly on the steps to the platform.)

My husband never came back.
    I wonder if something happened to him?
    No, I'm sure his leave was just canceled.
    I went to the station everyday.
    Then, one day..........

(The screen goes white... then we see a woman lying on the steps to the
    platform. A young girl is running around her, crying. Elmyra runs over
    and kneels by the woman. The young girl runs to her.)

You used to see this sort of thing a lot during the war.
    Her last words were, "Please take Mary Sue somewhere safe."
    My husband never came back. I had no child. I was probably
    lonely. So I decided to take her home with me.

(A train whistle sounds... the screen goes white, then fades to black.)

"Mary Sue and I became close very quickly. That child loved to
    talk. She used to talk to me about everything."

(We are back at the living room, but some time past. Mary Sue as a young
    girl runs down the stairs, then trips on the rug. Elmyra rises from the
    table, helps her up, hugs her, then Mary Sue scampers out the front door.
    The living room disappears off the top of the screen.)

"She told me she escaped form some sort of research laboratory
    somewhere. And that her mother had already returned to the planet, so she
    wasn't lonely... and many other things."

(We are back at the living room, in the present.)

Loaf
    "Returned to the planet?"

Elmyra
    "I didn't know what she meant. I asked if she meant a star in the
    sky."
    "But she said it was this planet... She was a mysterious child
    in many ways."

Mary Sue
    "Mom."

(Elmyra turns toward the stairs. The camera pans up, hiding Cloud and the
    others, then pans down again and they are gone. Mary Sue, as a young girl,
    runs down the stairs. Elmyra is speaking in the present.)

Mary Sue
    "Please don't cry."

Elmyra
    "Mary Sue just blurted that out all of a sudden. When I asked her
    if something had happened..."

Mary Sue
    "Someone dear to you has just died."
    "His spirit was coming to see you, but he already returned to
    the planet."

Elmyra
    "At that time I didn't believe her."

(The living room disappears off the left side of the screen.)

Elmyra
    "But..."

(It comes back, from the left. Elmyra is sitting at the table, holding
    her head in her hands. Her shoulders are hitching.)

Elmyra
    "Several days later... We received a notice saying my husband
    had died..."

(It disappears to the right.)

Elmyra
    "...and that's how it was."
    "A lot had happened, but we were happy. Until one day..."

(The living room reappears from the left. Tseng is in the living room with
    Elmyra.)

Tseng
    "We want you to return Mary Sue to us. We've been searching for
    her for a long time."

(Mary Sue peeks out from behind Elmyra.)

Mary Sue
    "No! Never!"

Tseng
    "Mary Sue, you're a very special child. You are of special blood."
    "Your real mother was an 'Ancient'."

Elmyra
    "Of course I heard it. That she was an Ancient."

Tseng
    "The Ancients will lead us to a land of supreme happiness."
    "Mary Sue will be able to bring happiness to all those in the
    slums."
    "That is why Shinra would like Mary Sue's cooperation......."

(Mary Sue comes out from behind Elmyra)

Mary Sue
    "He's wrong! I'm not an Ancient! I'm not!"

Tseng
    "But Mary Sue, surely you hear voices
    sometimes when you're all alone?"

Mary Sue
    "No, I don't!"

(Mary Sue runs out the front door. The
    living room disappears off the top right.)

Elmyra
    "But I knew. I knew about her
    mysterious powers..."
    "She tried so hard to hide it, so I
    acted as though I never noticed."

(The living room, seen from the top down, comes back into view from the
    top.)

(So, if by some chance you haven't played this game and/or have been confused at Aeris' rename, here's the gist so far: She's a seemingly normal person who's very quickly being thrust into the central plot. Turns out she's an orphan, AND the sole survivor of an ancient race that apparently has special powers. Everyone loves her so far, even Cloud/Squall who was a complete and total douchebag until meeting her made him soften up almost instantly. Even Lockheart, who obviously has some feelings for Squall, seems to trust her even though it's clear there are romantic hints between him and this flower girl. Even Loaf, who has never even met her is going to feel indebted to her, as you'll see in a second. And this is only the beginning!

If you're honestly upset with me calling her a Mary Sue, chances are this LP isn't for you.)

2YftT.jpg

More like pretty fucking impossible. They know where she lives and have for at least a decade. They know her church hangout spot. She would have been caught if Squall hadn’t fallen into her flowers the other day, so are we expected to believe she had just been lucky for all these years?

I have come to the conclusion that Shinra is full of retards. So how did they catch her now? Apparently having Marlene with her slowed her down.

kcW5R.jpg
    ejIfL.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘So basically it’s Marlene’s fault Mary got caught? That junior bartender is my new hero.’

Loaf explains how that makes it his fault for being Marlene’s father.

xbmYW.jpg

No, this screenshot is not edited in any way. A character is actually showing common sense and calling out someone on their massive stupidity. Enjoy it while it lasts, folks.

YnbVF.jpg
    bbnyT.jpg

Because it certainly doesn’t last very long.

PfVMJ.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘The fuck? She hasn’t done anything for you. You don’t even know her. Lockheart was the one who told her to take Marlene. Something you shouldn’t even really thank her for either since that essentially means she was asking a girl she barely knew 2 hours to take care of your daughter.’

Nonetheless, the evidence is right here. She did save Marlene, and Marlene is one of the only cool people on this planet if she’s able to hold down a bar on her own at only 5 years of age. So… *sigh* I guess we’ll go save her. We think she was taken to Shinra HQ, but how do we get there!?

h7YQs.jpg

cloudhead.jpg ‘No! NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO’

Squall is dragged kicking and screaming back to the place where demons and gay group bathing dwell.

What bullshit does the Honey Bee Inn have for us today?

XYs1n.jpg

cloudhead.jpg 'Yep, Smashin' n' Grindin'. That's where I'm a viking!'

Y8ULP.jpg

Back up. “Cultured customers”? That’s the biggest load of crap I’ve heard all week. As much as I’d like to be pissed at them for being massive hypocrites, their concern is valid. If I were allowed in there again, some shit would definitely get broken.

m8nk8.jpg

Squall is running out of songs he knows the lyrics to.

cloudhead.jpg ‘Uhmm..

“Clap on!... Clap off!... Clap on clap off! The Clapper!”

You guys are supposed to clap, c’mon!’

Okay no more messin’ around. Not a lot is happening in Wall Market, right now. People converse about being shocked that the plate fell, but otherwise pretty much the exact same people are there doing the exact same things. Except Don Corneo, who wisely fled the mansion. After finding a wire in a side area, the Mod Squad heads upward.

fQW2Q.jpg

After ascending the rubble, we arrive…

bVwps.jpg
    uOy2o.jpg

“What Is Love?” Can be heard in the distance. Club Midgar, we’re here to wreck your shit.

Next time on Final Fantasy VII: Security? Who needs security?!

Edit: Oh, by the way, now's a good time to toss out suggestions for naming Red XIII. I probably should have said this a bit sooner. I'll wait a couple days for the next update just in case.

Adus on
    edited January 2009
    Rabid XIII

Shujaa on