As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows just screwed me

wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so when I bought a new PC I didn't have the money to get WinXP so I just installed Win2000, and everything has been working great.

Until today. I come home boot up, and it's like I logged on a new user: Other than program installs, everything is GONE. Windows 2000 cheerfully tells me that it has finished rebooting after installing an upgrade. I desperately look for my files, and find this:
There are now TWO Documents and Settings folders. There' Administrator (mine) and Administrator.MYPC'SNAME. No new user profile was created though! It just decided to move my shit and start from scratch!
Most stuff is working okay, but Solidworks (3DCAD) tells me I'm low on memory (I'm not) and I do NOT want to redo all my PC settings.

Any clue, guys? Is there a good way to restore my settings?

PS: Fuck you Windows.
I can't even check my goddamn email. GRRR.

gamingsig.jpg
PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
wenchkilla on

• Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Backup all folders before doing this.

You should be able to safely copy the entire contents of Docs & settings\Administrator\* to the new user folder, overwriting as necessary.

I have no idea why it would make a new account for you... That is very strange.

You MAY need to copy registry settings as well, but that is more advanced and I don't know how the hell you will do that with 2 identically named local accounts.

After some searching I found this. I HIGHLY recommend you read it before doing anything else.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314045/en-us

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That's perfect, thanks a lot!

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx