Options

First 100 Days: Day 9 - Of Cocktails and Cocksuckers

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mmmmmm open government.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    The part about government not knowing all the answers and having to draw on what citizens know makes me all aflutter

oh my

Wikigress

Wikidency?

Wikitution!

Wikimanuel?

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mmmmmm open government.

Obama's Corrolary: Given enough eyeballs, all abuses of power are shallow?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    The part about government not knowing all the answers and having to draw on what citizens know makes me all aflutter

oh my

So... lobbyists?
    "Scientists, civic leaders, educators and entrepreneurs"

hush, you

I was being cynical, and I apologize, because after a little reading these changes sound really good. :^:

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yay! Draft of the order to close Guantanamo. Should be done ASAP, has to be done by a year from the signing of said order. Hopefully that gets signed sometime this week. The Swiss have said they'll accept any prisoners that have to be released because the only evidence against them was coerced.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    oldmanken wrote: »
    EDIT: When you're done with him, send him on up to Canada please.

You really willing to wait 8 years?

Yes. Yes we are.

Dear Obama,

See you in 2017.

<3

Fuck that, you had that Trudeau guy, the last interesting president that Finland ever had was...never. We don't ask much, we are satisfied with one term.

In more serious terms, since Obama is so young in 8 years he'll be only 55. Can you be Senator or something after you have been a president? Would be kind of lame to see a political career end that fast since he really didn't have much time as a senator before this.

That is if he hasn't been posing all this time and his disastrous presidency will drive the country into a brutal civil war or something. :P

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yay! Draft of the order to close Guantanamo. Should be done ASAP, has to be done by a year from the signing of said order. Hopefully that gets signed sometime this week. The Swiss have said they'll accept any prisoners that have to be released because the only evidence against them was coerced.
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/promise/177/close-the-guantanamo-bay-detention-center/

LIES! (politifact not you)

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The defendants opposed the delay. All have said they want to plead guilty to charges that carry a potential death sentence.

Wtf?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In more serious terms, since Obama is so young in 8 years he'll be only 55. Can you be Senator or something after you have been a president? Would be kind of lame to see a political career end that fast since he really didn't have much time as a senator before this.

A lot of people have suggested that he could very well follow in Taft's shoes, becoming a Justice of the Supreme Court (and potentially Chief Justice.)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

Yes. Yes we are.

Dear Obama,

See you in 2017.

<3

Fuck that, you had that Trudeau guy, the last interesting president that Finland ever had was...never. We don't ask much, we are satisfied with one term.

That is if he hasn't been posing all this time and his disastrous presidency will drive the country into a brutal civil war or something. :P

With any luck the term limit will be removed and go back to FDR standards.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    The defendants opposed the delay. All have said they want to plead guilty to charges that carry a potential death sentence.

Wtf?

You have to love martyr complexes.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    Also the pictures of him on politico sitting at his desk in the Oval Office all talking on his phone hardcore with some Middle Eastern leaders made me all proud n shit cause damn does the dude know how to rock the look

link!

012109_Obama1.jpg (no jacket! on noes!)

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yes. Yes we are.

Dear Obama,

See you in 2017.

<3

IIRC there was one who went to congress, and one who went to the supreme court, but I can't remember which ones.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, president of the Harvard Law Review...constitutional lawyer...President of the U.S. at least nobody would whine about his credentials there.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Yes. Yes we are.

Dear Obama,

See you in 2017.

<3

IIRC there was one who went to congress, and one who went to the supreme court, but I can't remember which ones.

Taft became Chief Justice (and was better at that job than the Presidency). I think John Quincy Adams returned to Congress? Not positive on that.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

JQA and Taft respectively.

I believe there was also a Senator but I may be mistaken

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Don't know if I can see him returning to Congress. Chief Justice, maybe, but obviously that depends on there being a president in office amenable to his appointment at a time when the position is available.

Regardless, that's then and this is now. We have a lot of the Obama presidency left before those discussions are in order.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    (and potentially Chief Justice.)
    Roberts isn't going anywhere for a very long time

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    Obama has done more positive stuff domestically in his first full day as President than Bush did in eight years.

Bush put through some decent tax cuts in his first years. And he... umm...

Hmm.

AIDs relief might go down as the best thing Bush ever did

valiance on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    valiance wrote: »
    Obama has done more positive stuff domestically in his first full day as President than Bush did in eight years.

Hmm.

what you mean like his cutting funds for clinics in africa that offered abortion procedures along with a multitude of other services for family planning and STDs

Medopine on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Hmm.

Not particularly. There are serious concerns over what Bush's programs did to impact places like Uganda's previously highly successful programs to reduce AIDS (namely the ABC program), with the move away from that to more institutionally dispensed anti-retrovirals rather than a social campaign.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Hmm.

what you mean like his cutting funds for clinics in africa that offered abortion procedures

It wasn't without its problems, obviously. But Bush genuinely increased general foreign aid to Africa and PEPFAR has probably saved hundreds of thousands of lives. So yeah, it's probably the best thing he did.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Hmm.

what you mean like his cutting funds for clinics in africa that offered abortion procedures

It wasn't without its problems, obviously. But Bush genuinely increased general foreign aid to Africa and PEPFAR has probably saved hundreds of thousands of lives. So yeah, it's probably the best thing he did.

Foreign aid and simply dispensing anti-retrovirals isn't going to solve the AIDS crisis in Africa. What he should have done was engage in a social campaign to prevent the spread of AIDS, rather than sending money to competing NGOs to replace existing programs with new programs that ended up with either no reductions or increases in HIV incidences.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is the hopium thread. The Bushwhacked thread is over there.

MKR on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    CNN is actually covering Rush Limbaugh's stupidity. "I hope he fails." is apparently news worthy.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

Andrew Johnson was elected back into the senate but he died within a year or something

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    t1wide.obama.oval.office.wh.jpg

Looks like Obama has already redecorated the Oval Office. The central carpet with the Seal and the sunburst pattern is interesting

ed
    Apparently the rug is left over, designed by Laura Bush. He also kept the Resolute Desk

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Taft became Chief Justice (and was better at that job than the Presidency).

Taft did get stabbed in the back (metaphorically)while president by Teddy Roosevelt though.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pictures of inside the white house give me a headache. Can we get a nice designer in there? Something less horribly monochrome?

kildy on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    kildy wrote: »
    Pictures of inside the white house give me a headache. Can we get a nice designer in there? Something less horribly monochrome?

They're worried about Crab People using the designers to make their move.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    jefe414 wrote: »

Taft became Chief Justice (and was better at that job than the Presidency).

Taft did get stabbed in the back (metaphorically)while president by Teddy Roosevelt though.

Taft wasn't really interested in being President but was really interested in the Supreme Court. That probably had a little more to do with it.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Looks like Obama has already redecorated the Oval Office. The central carpet with the Seal and the sunburst pattern is interesting

ed
    Apparently the rug is left over, designed by Laura Bush. He also kept the Resolute Desk

He an Michelle get to design their own rug and it'll be there in a week or two.

It would have been awesome if he went with brown leather tufted sofas and wassily chairs by the fireplace. A man can dream...

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Andrew Johnson.

moniker on
  • Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »

ed

He an Michelle get to design their own rug and it'll be there in a week or two.

It would have been awesome if he went with brown leather tufted sofas and wassily chairs by the fireplace. A man can dream...

Nah they've said they're keeping the rug. It's a nice rug, it really ties the room together. They are spending about 100k to redecorate their area of the house, and having some semi-famous dude from California do it.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Luq wrote: »
    Nah they've said they're keeping the rug. It's a nice rug, it really ties the room together.

I guess it's a good thing there's a bowling alley in the WH?

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nah they've said they're keeping the rug. It's a nice rug, it really ties the room together. They are spending about 100k to redecorate their area of the house, and having some semi-famous dude from California do it.
    hmmm

Bama on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nah they've said they're keeping the rug. It's a nice rug, it really ties the room together.

I guess it's a good thing there's a bowling alley in the WH?

Soon to be a basketball court. :)

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It is a nice rug, but they need to add some blue and/or red to it. Really, any color in there would be a major improvement just to liven it up and make it seem...inhabited.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Not Obama agenda per se, but related. Tim Kaine took over for Howard Dean as head of the DNC. The most important quote was impromptu
    Tim Kaine wrote:
    The 50 state strategy is now and forever what Democrats do.

Apparently that's not totally accurate as control will be more centralized, and attention focused at least somewhat. But at least we know its not going back to DLC style, Ohio-Florida-Pennsylvania

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
This discussion has been closed.