As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSP] Class of Heroes: Atlus first-person RPG dungeon crawler. Etrian who?

• Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Come on guys, Breath isn't the only way backrow people can be useful. I have gone through so far and haven't had any trouble with normal people in the backrow without ranged weapons. They just used fire or heal when the time came, and the warriors and thief handled everything else fine. Now that everyone in the back has a good ranged weapon, and everyone in the front has a good melee weapon, it just means that fights end a little faster

This argument is terrible. You're basically trying to argue that a guy doing nothing is somehow equal a breath hitting 3 mobs for 50+ each. Makes zero sense, zero.

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does breath have to be in the back row to work well? I'm still low level, and my warrior with breath just hits one person for like 7-10 damage, its pretty shit from that perspective.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    From my using, it's pretty useless unless you're fighting things that are way under your level. Anyway, you should get at least one slingshot pretty early, if you do the quests, and slings do way more damage than breath.

Also: When you start upgrading the front line's weapons, give them to the back line. Throwing daggers through the items menu actually can hurt the enemies pretty well, and you don't lose the item

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    From what I read, Breath gets better as you level up but stops being useful at around level 15.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Breath started pretty crappy but at level 5 now seems to hit two enemies at once, which is quite handy. Especially for ghosts.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Breath is useful because I've never seen it miss. There are many enemies with high evades, and breath hits them all (stupid bats!). It's also great for monsters that are immune to physical attacks, without wasting spells. Of course, once you have a Cleric with Requiem, these enemies are few and far between, but still.

What is that damage number when Requiem is used? It's obviously not hitpoints.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    RadioKegRadioKeg Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh shit! I just ran into a boss mob in Dukett Path's inner sanctum as a random encounter?

Bane of the Deep - lvl 44

im gonna die

edit: 700 damage a hit to my whole front row, and it's regenerating 1.3k each turn i can't kill it even if i wanted to

edit2: upon running away it's a red question mark? i walked backwards into it from a dark zone so i can't really tell what happened
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    What is that damage number when Requiem is used? It's obviously not hitpoints.

As far as i can tell, its the hitpoints of the monsters.

RadioKeg on
  • Options
    Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Breath started pretty crappy but at level 5 now seems to hit two enemies at once, which is quite handy. Especially for ghosts.

Agreed - I have many Diabolons on my squad and breath is the way that I handle most undead. My back row has a pair of slings and a short bow, though.

Anyone else have a Devout and Cleric in the front row, or am I the only idiot who thinks it is a good idea, given their HP? I won't put my Wizard in the front though despite his absurd amount of HP. It just feels wrong.

And my ninja is terrible. Keeps losing STR on level ups. Shenanigans, I say.

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm convinced the stat change is more randomness than design. I've had characters lose and gain the same stat across two levels.

Glal on
  • Options
    cwoaccwoac Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Anyone else have a Devout and Cleric in the front row, or am I the only idiot who thinks it is a good idea, given their HP?

Devout yes, cleric no. But then I put extra points into hp as my plan is devout->paladin meat shield.

cwoac on
  • Options
    RadioKegRadioKeg Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    I'm convinced the stat change is more randomness than design. I've had characters lose and gain the same stat across two levels.

I've also observed this, but I think this happens as the game wants the stat to be somewhere between two values, say 18 and 19, but randomly rounds up or down. After a while the stat tends to stick to the upper value.

Also big bang sucks when it's cast on you multiple times.

RadioKeg on
  • Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay, so here's a question. Say I take a short bow and throw a fire damage bonus onto it through alchemy. Then say I take some arrows and throw a water damage bonus on 'em. I take the arrows, load 'em into the bow, and shoot a water-based bad guy.

Does anyone know if the "fire" bit on the bow would reduce the damage? (As if I'd smacked the critter with a fire sword, say.)

I'm guessing it would, because it seems obvious, but we all know what assuming can lead to.

Psycohed on
    brig_banner.png
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd say the most effective way would be to try it out yourself.

Also, has this thread died? Why is no one talking about this game anymore?

Also, this.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm still playing it *shrugs*. It's my "Play an RPG for a few minutes at breaks and lunch" game, currently. At least, until Monster Hunter Freedom Unite comes out.

The dude in your link complains about 1 tile draw distance, but isn't it extended to 2 tiles when you have appropriate lighting? I could swear Lumigan stretches it out by another tile.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, at double digit levels there's no reason to walk around without light if you don't want to, everyone who can cast it has 9 casts of that tier at that point.
    I just never bother to. You can't see non-scripted enemies anyway, so it's not all that crucial.

Glal on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay guys, help a brother out. How do I, like, get started with this game? It's fun and everything and it's my style, as I've played the EO games so I know what I'm getting into, but this game is going nowhere right now at the start. Meeting the teachers would be great, except I don't have a map to actually find my way to their coordinates. I guess I should make some new guys as well because a ranger is absolutely worthless at this point as I don't have a bow. I'm wandering around trying to get the material for a slingshot, but that ain't happening either. Basically, give me some tips on how to ditch these horrible starting weapons and get some stuff that actually works so I can explore and find my damn teachers.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Before going into a dungeon, buy the map for that dungeon in the Store, or use the Sight magic when you get into the level.

Strip all of starting default characters at the Dormitories of their money. They should have 100 GP each, which should go a long way to financing your adventuring.

I recommend that your party has a Cleric to Appraise all of the unidentified junk you come across. My starting party was 3 Drakes and 3 Diablos, which allowed me to continually do 6 Breath attacks (which always hit) every round... Breath doesn't hit hard, but at least it hits and it scales well early in the game, until you have decent weapons for everyone. You can rely on the Breath crutch for your first "farming" party and make an ideal party for later.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Stripping the defaults of money.... what a great idea. I shall have to do that. And I didn't see a map in the shop, but I must have missed it. Maybe I'll replace the ranger I have right now for someone with Sight. I also got a Cleric for healing, but I use her to appraise as well.

I'm seeing a lot of promise in this game, I just have to get out of this starting rut and into the meat of it all.

Gilder on
  • Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Your cleric will get sight at level 4, although if you do see a map in store I'd say buy it, because I didn't accomplish much until my cleric got sight. Although I could swear I looked in the store for a map myself and didn't see one.

HyphyKezzy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Talking to Ms. Yuno in 'Report In' at the Office will get you a free Novice Road map to start things out.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I personally got lucky and got the Omega Map drop. Map of everything. :D
    Sight is very useful, but impractical in dungeons with loads of magic dispell.

[edit] And pretty much all stores have at least a couple of maps. I think they're under Items.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    I personally got lucky and got the Omega Map drop. Map of everything. :D
    Sight is very useful, but impractical in dungeons with loads of magic dispell.

[edit] And pretty much all stores have at least a couple of maps. I think they're under Items.
    Just hope that it doesn't break. :-P There is a small chance for non-EX maps to break when picking up the Blue Gem materials sitting around the dungeon floor. Not sure if there are other events that trigger it. Save early and often.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Buh. Thanks for the warning, that's very... arbitrary.

Glal on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, got a question for the guys who are farther in the game.

How do I get to the Kuasa Dungeon and Labyrinth? I know I'm supposed to go into Particus Road and then go to the Inner Sanctuary, but even after mapping the whole place out, I can't find the damn teleporter. There is one door that I cannot open yet (need a special key) but other than that, the only thing in the area is an Evoker ring.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Did you get the labyrinth key and then talked to the principal? The special doors are what the key opens (well, one set of them. I've not figured out the second set because Stupid Quests That Require Drop Loot Won't Drop Loot and I'm stuck in the first 6 dungeons, ridiculously overpowered).

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    No, I don't have the Labyrinth Key yet.

Where might I acquire this item? Ms. Yuno said I could go there. Obviously, she is a liar. (But I still like her.)

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Could you be more specific about what part of the story/quest you're on? To enter the labyrinths you're sent to go to a different university where you gain the key, then talk to the principal back at home to be told to go forth and explore them yo (before that you can still go there... but there are no objectives there).

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hmm... I currently have access to three quests. One from Ms. Yuno (Hands on Lesson - Defeat Gigant Claw in Kausa Labyrinth), One from Sara (Where's Love Gone - Find her Letter), and one from Ms. Meowmin (Treasure Map).

Do I need to finish up the other two first?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So...

This game bucks convention somewhat. My Thief has managed to become a frontline fighter and is kicking the most ass on single targets.

In other news, I made an Alchemist. Now how do I make him do damage?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    blaze_zero wrote: »

How do I get to the Kuasa Dungeon and Labyrinth? I know I'm supposed to go into Particus Road and then go to the Inner Sanctuary, but even after mapping the whole place out, I can't find the damn teleporter. There is one door that I cannot open yet (need a special key) but other than that, the only thing in the area is an Evoker ring.

When you enter Particus Road, you'll either be on the left or right side (I can't remember which). You need to go through the Inner Sanctum to the other side, and out the exit there, and you'll be in Kuasa, where you can access Kuasa Path, which contains the labyrinth you're looking for, and does not require the key.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    harvest wrote: »
    So...

This game bucks convention somewhat. My Thief has managed to become a frontline fighter and is kicking the most ass on single targets.

In other news, I made an Alchemist. Now how do I make him do damage?
    Mine is Dual Wielding whips from the back row. Your other option is a bow (for back row) or you can Dual Wield swords or something in the front row. I give mine all my Grenade type items too.

Also, same here on the Thief; Dual Baghnakhs = Fantastic.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    edited June 2009

When you enter Particus Road, you'll either be on the left or right side (I can't remember which). You need to go through the Inner Sanctum to the other side, and out the exit there, and you'll be in Kuasa, where you can access Kuasa Path, which contains the labyrinth you're looking for, and does not require the key.

...This makes so much sense...
    I can't believe I didn't think of this... I feel so stupid now.

Thanks for the help. I am happily on my way to the labyrinth as we speak.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

...This makes so much sense...
    I can't believe I didn't think of this... I feel so stupid now.

Thanks for the help. I am happily on my way to the labyrinth as we speak.

I had the exact same issue. I crawled around Particus Road for the better part of two days before I read the answer on Gamefaqs of all places.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm trying to get the Labyrinth Key. I passed through the sanctum in Pa'tol but came to this map:

snap000.jpg

I can't seem to go anywhere, and haven't found hidden doors. Any help?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm trying to get the Labyrinth Key. I passed through the sanctum in Pa'tol but came to this map:

snap000.jpg

I can't seem to go anywhere, and haven't found hidden doors. Any help?

do you have a wizard or maybe a cleric with levitas? its a level 2 black magic spell. just step into the spot on the bottom row without the magic nullifying tile, cast it, and cross over the water to the other side. then you'll find another similar row with only one tile not magic nullifying, so cast and cross (avoid the tiles to the right that'll send you all the way back to the beginning). do that like 4 or 5 times till you get to the center with the magic key, unlock, and you can use the door near the entrance to get to the other side. so you gotta make sure you can cast levitas like 5 times or so. hope that makes sense.

but yeah, a few of the floors need you to use levitas to avoid traps and float over deep water and whatnot.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've got a Cleric with 4 casts of Levitas. I expect I'll have to level up before I try this map.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Turns out 4 casts was enough, but now I've got another problem.

(I played like 4 of the original Wizardry games to completion so I'm a little short on patience for this title.)

Labyrinths. In both the Particus and Holdeah labyrinths I got stuck on a similar problem. Explored all the available area but got held up by a locked door that 'needs a special key,' apparently more special than the normal labyrinth key I already have. Is there any universal trick to opening these doors or do I have to do some specific gyrations for each one?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ...I'm baffled as to how a piece of dungeon crawler design so utterly ubiquitous to the genre could be what is trying your patience.

Also, if you've played Wizardry 4, no other game will test your patience again. Ever.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Turns out 4 casts was enough, but now I've got another problem.

(I played like 4 of the original Wizardry games to completion so I'm a little short on patience for this title.)

Labyrinths. In both the Particus and Holdeah labyrinths I got stuck on a similar problem. Explored all the available area but got held up by a locked door that 'needs a special key,' apparently more special than the normal labyrinth key I already have. Is there any universal trick to opening these doors or do I have to do some specific gyrations for each one?

I think I read the Labyrinth Key gets a plot powerup at some point.

If you're on the "Explore the Labyrinths" or whatever quest, you don't need to get into these rooms yet. In fact, the quest triggers you're looking for usually don't involve moving very far from the labyrinth entrance.

If you've forgotten to sign up for the "Explore the Labyrinths" quest, or report in to the appopriate teacher after signing up, then there isn't going to be much of interest at all in the labyrinths.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thing that's bothering me is that in other quests there was a big red ? to signify a boss. In these cases, there's no such thing and I can't tell if I'm completing the objective. I'll keep trying of course.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif