As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Grammatical Gauntlet has been thrown!

18910111214»

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    playing a lot of MUDs probably did the most for my typing skills

i can type 'look' and 'inv' like that

satansfingers on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    technically i type completely wrong. I don't follow the asdf - hjkl technique. Most of my typing is done with the index and middle finger of each hand plus both thumbs for the spacebar. I can do over 70 wpm with no mistakes no sweat.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I'd like to learn to touch-type correctly, but ehhhh.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yeah fuck that, why throw 11 years of ingrained reflexes down the train when they do the job perfectly fine?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Because you can look like a leet hax0r like in those awesome hax0r movies liek swordfish lol!

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    yeah fuck that, why throw 11 years of ingrained reflexes down the train when they do the job perfectly fine?
    NO MISTAKES NO SWEAT

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    choo choooo

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    i don't use the proper fingers for some keys in the middle. i do a lot of stretching with the 'wrong' hand for those keys depending on what feels right.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Haha yeah goddamn I saw the "train" but I thought it would be funnier if you didn't notice.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Apparently they now teach kids to type in rhythm, with a metronome and everything. I tend to type in bursts and clusters. I have to wonder whether that would be any faster or would actually slow me down.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I learned to type on a typewriter. You know what else is a holdover from those days? QWERTY. You one space bitches better be practicing your Dvorak every time you post in this thread.

I uh

I hate bringing this up because it always looks like like I'm being elitist or something but I seriously learned to type on dvorak to alleviate some wrist-pain issues I was starting to get when I landed a computer job. I type exclusively in dvorak whenever possible and, in fact, I am doing it right now.

That said, as probably one of the few or only persons here who types in a standard that is suitable for this century, it is my qualified opinion that, having never even heard of this double-space malarkey, and anybody who types like that must be a retard baby cum.

*snub*

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    i guess i sort of type in rhythm? it's more that my fingers are just constantly moving.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Eh, who cares what's "right". If you can type, you can type.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Apparently they now teach kids to type in rhythm, with a metronome and everything. I tend to type in bursts and clusters. I have to wonder whether that would be any faster or would actually slow me down.
    What the fuck is the point of that? I type when shit enters my mind. Why would the way you type differ from the way you write?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Krentz wrote: »
    I learned to type on a typewriter. You know what else is a holdover from those days? QWERTY. You one space bitches better be practicing your Dvorak every time you post in this thread.

I uh

I hate bringing this up because it always looks like like I'm being elitist or something but I seriously learned to type on dvorak to alleviate some wrist-pain issues I was starting to get when I landed a computer job. I type exclusively in dvorak whenever possible and, in fact, I am doing it right now.

That said, as probably one of the few or only persons here who types in a standard that is suitable for this century, it is my qualified opinion that, having never even heard of this double-space malarkey, and anybody who types like that must be a retard baby cum.

*snub*

I actually gave Dvorak a go back in high school. I never got to the point where I felt comfortable typing as fast as I do qwerty, but it wasn't so hard. I have a taskbar widget thing that switches between Dvorak and qwerty now, and I can still find all of the letters but none of the punctuation. And then I forget to turn it off and keymapping in some games goes to shit.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    What the fuck is the point of that? I type when shit enters my mind. Why would the way you type differ from the way you write?
    I think it's meant to overcome the uneven frequency of key use in different locations. If you have to type seven letters in a row with the left hand, you tend to slow down. A consistent pace might even that out.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Haha yeah keymapping is a pain. In most games I can get away with just hitting a key combination to switch styles but in some like WoW I have to remap the whole keyboard : \

Took me about two weeks to get to the point where I could type without looking at a reference sheet. My productivity at work took a *slight* hit... okay maybe slowed to a crawl is more accurate. Fortunately at the time I was doing C# and with intellisense I hardly had to type anything but the first letter or two anyway.

I don't feel like my speed has really improved much but I can finally type without looking at the keyboard (don't have much choice) and it is definitely more comfortable because I used to do the horrible floating-hands-hunt-and-peck style typing in QWERTY.

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I'm with you on this one, Zoel.

I can't be the only person who was taught that.

It's on the first goddamn page of Strunk and White.

The Authority.

And s's is not ugly. It is beautiful and egalitarian.

And who the hell types inv to use inventory.

i

DONE.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Zoel wrote: »

The Authority.

And who the hell types inv to use inventory.

i

DONE.

my first MUD didn't recognize just i

that could also be inspect

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

The Authority.
    If it's on the first page, it was written by Strunk. Strunk was a boorish old codger. White gave way more consideration to aesthetics.

Boss's. You lose.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just did this as a test just to see how I write and as it turns out I don't really have a true pace its fairly steady but it can come in bursts and certain words are almost reflexive.

The problem I have most often is when I mean to type "this" I often end up typing "shit" because I've been around you assholes so long that any combination of the letters I H S and T automatically ends up being typed by my muscle-memory as "SHIT"

I did it once on a college paper.

Volucrisus Aedrius on