As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Discuss] Mouse Guard the RPG

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I like him, he's down to earth, and fits well with the mood of the comics. His friend and enemy are also believable and well-fleshed-out, but still have room to grow and develop.

It looks like a very well-made character so far.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    awesome character fading!

trying my hand at my own:
    Name: Connor

Hometown: Copperwood

Fur Color: Black

Cloak Color: Cyan

Guard rank: Guardmouse

Parents: Jasper and Moira (smiths)

Senior Artisan: Arthur the Brewer

Mentor: Aunt Quinn

Friend: Bruce the Hunter

Enemy: Hannidy

Belief: "You help yourself by helping your friends."

Instinct: "Give away what you don't need."

-Abilities-

Nature (mouse): 5
    Will: 3
    Health: 5

Resources 4 (practices smithing in winter(+1), parents are smiths(+1), buys gifts (-1), not thrifty (+0), packs carefully(+1))

Circles 4 (friendly, family member in the guard)

(x's are checks)
    -Traits-

Independent (x)
    Generous (x)

-Skills-

Fighter (xx) 3
    Healer (xx) 3
    Pathfinder (xxx) 4
    Persuader (x) 2
    Smith (x) 2
    Survivalist (xxx) 4

-Wises-

Night-wise (x) 2
    Trail-wise (x) 2

Gear: A balanced sword, a bow and arrows, a pouch of herbs

Fate: 1
    Persona: 1
    Connor is from Copperwood, born to Jasper and Moira who are both enterprising smiths well known in town for their fine works. Connor is a black-furred Guardmouse known for his generous nature and ability to make friends. He firmly believes that you help yourself by helping your friends, and is always more concerned with how his fellow Guardsmice are feeling; the Copperwood independent streak manifests through his unwillingness to burden other mice with his problems.

When not on active patrol, Connor spends his time as a smith for the guard, something his parents are very proud of. When not called upon to repair various metalworks, he is usually spending his time with his Aunt Quinn, with whom he is very close; she was his mentor in the guard. She gave him his cloak on graduation, which is cyan, because of his pleasant disposition. Not only that, however, she gave him her sword, which he treasures and sees as a good-luck charm.

Connor's senior artisan is Arthur the Brewer. He taught Connor about a great deal of herb-lore, though it was all primarily directed towards making beer.

On patrol, Connor is like his Aunt; he serves as the group's healer and woodsmouse. He has good eyes, especially at night, and is very skilled at providing medicinal care when on the trail. He has gained a small reputation within the guard as the mouse you want on your patrol when you're going out in the dark.

Connor's enemy is a mine foreman from his hometown Copperwood, Hannidy. Soon after he joined the Guard, Connor returned home for the winter with Quinn. While procuring some ore for his parents' smithy, he discovered that Hannidy refused to pay his miners full wages. Connor exposed him and they have been bitter enemies since.

His friend is Bruce, a young hunter from Lockhaven. Bruce wanted to join the guard, and was in the pool of applicants, but unfortunately did not make the cut, and so joined one of the hunting groups for Lockhaven. Connor has grown very close and sees Bruce as a little brother; Bruce often seeks him out for advice and for stories from his guard patrols, which Connor gladly shares.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's pretty rad, Arcanis.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    i finally got my copy of the book today. it had been delayed by the inclement weather that hit our area pretty bad.

having the tome in my grubby paws... such a nice book

very well produced and quite nice to look at - it's the type of book i would definitely show off on a coffee table.

so who's running it and when? :D

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That character is great. Your belief is pretty much perfect, I have mouse-envy.
    Rainfall had mentioned gathering tonight for this, in about 20 minutes, for which I am now present for ;o

e~ Arcanis/others: I was under the impression that only Skills and Wises used the "# checks +1" template, and Traits all started at level 1. Am I mistaken? +1 die to every roll related to your 2 or 3 traits sounds too good to be right for starting characters.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    well, rainy said earlier she wasn't feeling so hot, so no mouse guard action tonight.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Rainfall mentioned IRC, but I have next to no experience with that so I don't know if that was referring to the regular penny arcade one or some super secret CF subforum one or what.

EDIT: Or what Arcanis said above.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ah yes, I do believe you're correct fading

fix'd

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh ;o didn't see that anywhere. Hopefully a reschedule will happen.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    yeah, she told me over google talk. it's all good though. i think it'd be pretty hard to get a game going, since while it's not particularly difficult to make a mouse guard character, it's a pretty involved and thought-provoking process.

i rather like it.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It seems very cool.
    I might entertain the idea of running a pbp of this someday, but I would want to learn the system up proper and write a bunch before I really considered it. ;o we'll see.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Same here, this seems like a genuinely fun game to run, and pretty easy to plan for once you've got a good handle on the rules.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to start a PbP game here. I'll probably post something Friday night or Saturday morning. Work is pretty busy for me at the moment, so I have to wait for the weekend.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Got my book yesterday, very neat! I especially like how you're rewarded later for taking risks, harming your cause with your Traits, giving in on ties, and going against your belief. A great way to spur roleplaying and difficult character decisions. I'm planning on running a game for friends sometime soon, I'll post how it goes.

The advancement system is extremely cool, very Elder Scrolls-ish without the shitty parts of that system.

Something that I doubt could ever happen in a game, but would be un-fucking-believably awesome if it did: 20,000 mice declaring war on and killing a fucking bear. Wow.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Prester JohnPrester John Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For those who're interested: interview with David Petersen

Prester John on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    OK, here's a question: Is there any reason to take a straight axe or spear when you can get a halberd instead? I'm not seeing one.

I love the scripted conflict resolution mechanic, too. Almost like a card game, having to guess what your opponent will do and try to stay ahead of them. I imagine keeping a poker face will become important in play.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    OK, here's a question: Is there any reason to take a straight axe or spear when you can get a halberd instead? I'm not seeing one.

I love the scripted conflict resolution mechanic, too. Almost like a card game, having to guess what your opponent will do and try to stay ahead of them. I imagine keeping a poker face will become important in play.

Burning Wheel is far more geared towards role playing than most games. It isn't about maximising how much damage your character does, but maximising the development of your character. If a straight spear or a straight axe makes more sense for your character, then there's your reason.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    There's no real downside to using a halberd, but again there's no real downside to answering the character creation questions so as to get yourself a really high Nature, Circles, and Resources if you are careful what skills and such you take.

It comes down to role-playing I guess, you choose a spear or axe because that's what your character would use. Just like how you would say your character is not afraid of predators because you're planning on playing them that way, not because you were planning on taking the bold trait.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am really disappointed in having no money right now, because i want both the comics and this game after reading up on them.

Damnit.

OhtheVogonity on
    Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Actually, there's one other thing that bothers me: why do the mice live so friggin' long? I mean, I guess it shouldn't bother me when they're toting swords and making maps, but they aren't all that anthropomorphized otherwise. I figured they'd live about as long as normal mice, giving them a bit of that mayfly tragedy thing.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do they go over this in the comic? I mean, I could see lengthening their lifespans; otherwise you might end up with, "Ah, you goddamned whippersnappers have it easy! I remember in an ancient time called Winter, white powder fell from the sky and froze you where you stood! We called it Snow!"

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It might have been one of those things the author had to come up with for the RPG because it wasn't really touched upon in the comic as far as I know.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    well, it's as Delro says - the idea is that yeah they're less anthropomorphic than some, but it's so you can play multiple seasons, and you don't have characters aging super-fast :P

it's a choice on the author's part i am sure

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Certainly doesn't mean they have to live a hundred years; maybe they only live to be ten or fifteen. It would allow for the same freedom of character growth while still maintaining that a mouse's life is fleeting.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I have to admit it seemed rather strange to me as well, especially since it's stressed how dangerous life is for the mice. That a mouse would be able to survive 10, 15, or 30 years while under such odds seems to go against the whole mouse survival method of having high mortality balanced by high reproduction rates.

Might have been something that was avoided to stop the game from seeming too grim for younger players maybe.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    the comics don't exactly emphasize 'the survival method of having high mortality balanced by high reproduction'

more emphasizes survival by having really dedicated mice :p

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I also doubt Mouse Guard mice have litters. Theoretically, though, an extended campaign might feature overpopulation as a direct consequence to the PC's being too successful in missions.

delroland on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There's plenty of wilderness to go about, though - it'd be less overpopulation and more scouting out for a new settlement location.

Building a new settlement would be a great campaign in and of itself.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think it would be difficult to grasp a being with human intelligence but mouse lifespans, or even dog lifespans.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    True, they would have to be superintelligent to be at full human maturity at say, 4 years old.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I dunno, dog lifespans seem about right

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The society of a species that only lives 10 years or so looks nothing like one that could live 60+, as some characters have been implied to be pushing. Look at their architecture, it just wouldn't be possible. Life would be too frantic. Two years intro into the Guard as a tenderpaw? That's probably 30% of your lifespan after you figure in some risk beyond natural causes :P Two years before that growing to adulthood.... ;o

It just wouldn't work. You can't accomplish human-ish things (as they do) in so little time. How many years does it take to become a mason who can build a castle wall? Can you live that long? Can you live long enough to teach someone else when you're done?
    They basically would become bees.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Heh, with mouse lifespans I can imagine their "apprenticeship" as something like a 2-week frantic affair:

"okhereiseverythingyouneedtoknowaboutmasonryfirstyou..."

Still, does this imply a standard human-like lifespan for all animals? Or do larger creatures also scale up, and live for hundreds of years? Or because they all seem to lack the intelligence of the mice, are they still short-lived brutes?

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mice can live to be around 60 years old. Yes, it doesn't make sense, but neither do talking mice wielding swords. :-P

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Architecture wouldn't take as long with mice, though, as each individual mouse is proportionally about 10 times stronger than a human.

Bah, I'm probably overthinking it.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yea, Redwall also always did this to me. Mouse-sized Metalwork? Cooking over a fire? The trick is just to enjoy the setting and not overanalyze.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    A Bear wrote: »
    Yea, Redwall also always did this to me. Mouse-sized Metalwork? Cooking over a fire? The trick is just to enjoy the setting and not overanalyze.

repeated and limed for mega-truth.

it's basically so that you have mice who are similar to people and you don't have to worry about dying in 4 years.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    Architecture wouldn't take as long with mice, though, as each individual mouse is proportionally about 10 times stronger than a human.

Bah, I'm probably overthinking it.

thumbs

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    MG mice have thumbs, though, right?

delroland on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    MG mice have thumbs, though, right?

yes and they're not proportionally ten times stronger than humans

so i mean

my point is, real mice != mg mice

INeedNoSalt on